A Spirited Perfect Ten

djlaosc

I think it's being addressed - Rumours of a dark ride for the secret life of pets, in the toon lagoon area. Plus obviously Nintendo should offer some family based options. Always amazed me they've not done anything with the Grinch - that may hold people in that area of the park a bit better. I love Islands but if I'm not feeling like a water ride I skip through Seuss, to HP then all the way round to Marvel...so it very quickly becomes less than a half day park. Kong will help massively.

There was a rumour of Mt. Crumpit being built a few years ago - the decision was rumoured to be between Grinch and The Lorax - ultimately it seems as though they have gone for neither for now, but plans will probably exist somewhere.

TeriofTerror

Quick aside: Does anyone else think that if Disney wanted Star Wars: The Force Awakens to perform well in Asia, it might have been a good idea to leave out Nien Nunb? ;)

Quinnmac000

Stars Wars hasn't underperformed in Asia but it got beat out fast in Asia. It hasn't even hit #1 in the box office for Japan and it got beaten out by local films in Korea even with Disney paying a very popular korean group to promote it. And now with China stock market troubles again, we probably see local films surpassing the force as seen in other countries.

And now even Star Wars has the possibility to lose it #1 status to The Revenant 3 weekends in its run.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-rev...akens-weekend-box-office-1201678383/#comments

kpilcher

I think it's being addressed - Rumours of a dark ride for the secret life of pets, in the toon lagoon area. Plus obviously Nintendo should offer some family based options. Always amazed me they've not done anything with the Grinch - that may hold people in that area of the park a bit better. I love Islands but if I'm not feeling like a water ride I skip through Seuss, to HP then all the way round to Marvel...so it very quickly becomes less than a half day park. Kong will help massively.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But this decidedly grown up kid with a cynical streak leaves the Cat in the Hat ride with grin on my face every time. I wish they could have used the TV special's music, but the ride itself is fun. *More so when it is allowed to spin

doctornick

And now even Star Wars has the possibility to lose it #1 status to The Revenant 3 weekends in its run.

Are you saying that not being the #1 film in the country in the 4th weekend that TFA is out (after the movie has already made more money domestically than any film ever) is somehow indicative of a problem or failure? Most other similar blockbusters have lost their #1 status around this time as well (both Jurassic World and The Avengers fell to #2 in their 4th weekend, Avatar had multiple days of not being #1 in its first three weeks).

Anyway, The Revenant looks like a great film and has a big name for its lead. I'm not surprised it is having a better than expected opening and beat TFA on Friday. It will be interesting as to which wins the weekend since its estimated to be close.

TeriofTerror

Quinnmac000

Are you saying that not being the #1 film in the country in the 4th weekend that TFA is out (after the movie has already made more money domestically than any film ever) is somehow indicative of a problem or failure? Most other similar blockbusters have lost their #1 status around this time as well (both Jurassic World and The Avengers fell to #2 in their 4th weekend, Avatar had multiple days of not being #1 in its first three weeks).

Anyway, The Revenant looks like a great film and has a big name for its lead. I'm not surprised it is having a better than expected opening and beat TFA on Friday. It will be interesting as to which wins the weekend since its estimated to be close.

There was the assumption TFA wouldn't have competition until March but its already dwindling down showing that maybe it was more so front loaded rather than focused on longevity.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Stars Wars hasn't underperformed in Asia but it got beat out fast in Asia. It hasn't even hit #1 in the box office for Japan and it got beaten out by local films in Korea even with Disney paying a very popular korean group to promote it. And now with China stock market troubles again, we probably see local films surpassing the force as seen in other countries.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-rev...akens-weekend-box-office-1201678383/#comments

It killed in China yesterday with $33M for an opening day record so maybe Asia still has some life it in for TFA.

And TFA is in its fourth weekend, not the third.

Quinnmac000

It killed in China yesterday with $33M for an opening day record so maybe Asia still has some life it in for TFA.

And TFA is in its fourth weekend, not the third.

In comparison, F&F opened 66.04 million. For something that suppose to be the biggest film on the planet, that's not "record breaking" and Star Wars have a bigger marketing push as well in China.

NearTheEars

Went to see TFA at the IMAX Dome in Tampa. The theater was nearly full for the 2 p.m. Showing. The true IMAX sequences looked awesome, and being a dome it was pretty immersive.

Overall, however I wasn't too impressed with the projection quality, and being able to see the structure of the domed screen during bright scenes.

Was a fun afternoon though, and it was still only $13.

FrankLapidus

In comparison, F&F opened 66.04 million. For something that suppose to be the biggest film on the planet, that's not "record breaking" and Star Wars have a bigger marketing push as well in China.

The series' lack of a foothold in Asian markets has been well documented here and elsewhere, this is the first time its been marketed as heavily as it has been by Disney and it might well stand Star Wars in good stead for future growth and success in that part of the world with the release of the future Trilogy and Anthology films.

TFA has emphatically smashed other records around the world, it is without question a record breaking film.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

To clarify my statement, record opening Saturday in China for TFA.

F&F does hold the Sunday opening record for China and absolutely killed it. BTW I liked that movie too.

Not going to get embroiled in a debate here but in most countries, including NA which is arguably the largest, it was epic. As of yesterday it is #4 all-time after just four weeks and without China which is projected to bring another $300M or so to the pool.

As for its records... Check out all the All-time records here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/

RSoxNo1

And what theme is that?
Dragon Challenge breaks the theme of Hogsmeade and The Lost Continent. The Hulk breaks the theme of Superhero Island which is admittedly a weak theme.

There are people that will argue that Islands of Adventure is the best "theme" park in the country which is a joke. There are so many spots in that park where you can see backstage areas, many of those are from The Hulk.

I hate the look of a static steel coaster in an area that otherwise has heavy theming. The Hulk isn't as much of an eyesore as Dragon Challenge, but they're both ugly.

Bairstow

Dragon Challenge breaks the theme of Hogsmeade and The Lost Continent. The Hulk breaks the theme of Superhero Island which is admittedly a weak theme.

There are people that will argue that Islands of Adventure is the best "theme" park in the country which is a joke. There are so many spots in that park where you can see backstage areas, many of those are from The Hulk.

I hate the look of a static steel coaster in an area that otherwise has heavy theming. The Hulk isn't as much of an eyesore as Dragon Challenge, but they're both ugly.

Personally I love the curves and lines of a B&M coaster, and for a lot of the people the positives of IOA's themeing outweigh the negatives.
If you go into a theme park looking for non-themed infrastructure, you're always going to be able to find it.

The Empress Lilly

If you see the bare steel you are only in a theme park, not in the place the placemaking tries to transport you. (Or in a pierside amusement park, or a roadside carnival, for those who let Disney tell them emperor wears clothes)

Exposed steel is not necessarily unforgivable, it depends ion what one wishes to achieve. Manta for example I think is a gorgeous coaster in an area that pretends very little in the way of placemaking, other than 'pretty amusement park'.

Also, IoA is not even the best themed park of Universal Orlando. ;)

PhotoDave219

ESPN is a complete anchor anymore, after the advertising debacle of the CFP games on NYE. ($20M in the hole!? How do you screw that one up!?)

The Chinese Economy is tumbling down like a house of cards. I wonder how many Chinese can afford to go to SDL?

Ten years of the rights to the College Football Playoff and SDL. Perhaps at the time, they seemed like wise investments. Now? Not so much.

Turbulant times ahead at the mouse house....

brb1006

The only themes I love at Islands Of Adventure is Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom