A Spirited Perfect Ten

Eoghann

But doesn't Leia come off as the type of princess that - over the course of IV-VI - stops caring about what a princess SHOULD or SHOULDN'T look like? I mean, hell. She's even lacking the title of "princess" in the new movie for the new title of General. Perhaps her 30 or so years of being with Han has made her a little tougher around the edges.

In fact when in any of the original movies was there the slightest sign she cared about her appearance?

I guess the one scene when she's in her "Princess" role at the end of the original Star Wars? People keep referencing the bikini scene, but up... she was a prisoner and slave at the time, it wasn't her chosen costume.

This whole argument is stupid and the people making it are embarrassing themselves. She's a general in a "resistance" army. That's not a glamorous role.

GrammieBee

Since the subject of Universal has arisen, here are a couple of recent observations. Unless you are a Harry Potter fan, there really aren't a lot of attractions for families, seniors or others not into coasters or intense dark rides and shows. There is ET, the live animal show, Minions, Poseiden, Sinbad (really lame) and a couple of others scattered around in each park.. Jurassic Park is also a possibility. There used to be Earthquake, Jaws,, the old King Kong, Ghost Busters,etc. Most attractions now are geared for either the quite young (Seuss), or for teens, young adults or other thrill ride fans.
Also, for us oldsters and the handicapped, Universal is not nearly as handicapped friendly as Disney. The entrance to an attraction is often no where near the exit where the scooter or wheelchair is parked and transfer wheelchairs are few and far between. Also, you cannot go thru the pre show line for either Gringotts or Hogwarts Express.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

Since the subject of Universal has arisin, here are a couple of recent observations. Unless you are a Harry Potter fan, there really aren't a lot of attractions for families, seniors or others not into coasters or intense dark rides and shows. There is ET, the live animal show, Poisiden, Sinbad (really lame) and a couple of others. Jurassic Park is also a possibility. There used to be Twister, Jaws,, the old King Kong, Ghost Busters,etc. Most attractions now are geared for either the quite young (Suess), or for teens, young adults or other thrill ride fans.
Also, for us oldsters and the handicapped, Universal is not nearly as handicapped friendly as Disney. The entrance to an attraction is often no where near the exit where the scooter or wheelchair is parked. Also, you cannot go thru the pre show line for either Gringotts or Hogwarts express.

I think it's being addressed - Rumours of a dark ride for the secret life of pets, in the toon lagoon area. Plus obviously Nintendo should offer some family based options. Always amazed me they've not done anything with the Grinch - that may hold people in that area of the park a bit better. I love Islands but if I'm not feeling like a water ride I skip through Seuss, to HP then all the way round to Marvel...so it very quickly becomes less than a half day park. Kong will help massively.

JoeCamel

I think it's being addressed - Rumours of a dark ride for the secret life of pets, in the toon lagoon area. Plus obviously Nintendo should offer some family based options. Always amazed me they've not done anything with the Grinch - that may hold people in that area of the park a bit better. I love Islands but if I'm not feeling like a water ride I skip through Seuss, to HP then all the way round to Marvel...so it very quickly becomes less than a half day park. Kong will help massively.

Nice use of the word

Rodan75

I'll just say that I am very interested in hearing the reviews from Pixie Dust addicts. I predict they won't like it one bit. They'll be done before they even get on the ride.

Blend a pinch Kongfrontation, a cup of The Indiana Jones Adventure, a teaspoon of Halloween Horror Nights, and a half cup Kong 360. Then gently stir in a pinch of The Great Movie Ride. Cover with a thin layer of The Jungle Cruise before serving.

I am not a pixie duster and I've been rooting for UNI for a long time, but this is something that is nearly 20 years past due. I look forward to seeing it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The lake house.

To many, this is the vacation of choice. No traveling to different places, exploring new things. They head up to the lake house, Norman & Ethel Thayer style. No touring the Louvre or the Smithsonian or the Grand Canyon. They got to get on a boat and try to catch Walter. The familiar over something different.

Imagine having a lake house. Loaded with memories. Absolutely beautiful. But too far away to go to all the time. So you hire someone to care for the place. Keep the lawn mowed. Mulch and weed the flowerbeds. Rake the leaves. Make sure the pipes don't freeze. Make sure the interior is clean. Perform necessary maintenance to ensure no leaks, drafts, or rats find their way inside. And provide security so it doesn't become a place where locals congregate to get drunk.

You pay good money for this service. But every year when you pull into the driveway, you see a beautiful property and a beautiful house. Your vacation begins.

Years later, new people take over the 'caretaker' business. And they want much, much, much more to care for the property. And they don't put near the effort that the previous operators did. Inconsistent in caring for the outside. Beer bottles in the bushes. Rats inside the house, hiding among the huge dust bunnies. And there's nobody else that can perform this 'service' in the area. And they want even more to care for your property since other aspects of their business aren't making the $$$ it used to and they want you to 'make up for it'.

But it's still your lake house. Even though you notice things that your caretakers aren't caring for properly. It's still a net positive experience. Though your 'lake neighbors' who had to use the same caretakers sold their place rather then accept 'less for more'.

For many of us, the swamps are our 'Lake House' (in some cases more literally if they own DVC - so it literally IS an investment). It's familiar. Since you know it like the back of your hand, you feel safe. It's still fun. Much of what drew you to the place is still true.

But the 'caretakers' want more to do less. Not just higher prices, but going all out for selling 'higher margin' beverages, with the inebriation among 'your neighbors' as a result. And caring less about the cleanliness of the bathrooms and queue areas. And a rat hanging out underneath Spaceship Earth....

This is why many of us who 'lean' non-positive post...

They are finally doing some meaningful spending down there. And a lot of that spending is on stuff that has the potential to be great.

And there's the potential that they'll see that caked on dust in the overhead exposed ductwork in the Soarin queue or large puddles in all the larger bathrooms is unacceptable for a place that has Walts name on it - when you expect people to pay higher prices, some are going to have higher expectations for that price point.

^^^^ THIS TIMES 1 MILLION ^^^^^

This sums up exactly how I feel about WDW, And I'm one of those who expect the VALUE to be consistent with the price point.

Down at WDW for Marathon with friends, Went to the store at Kidani this morning to get some extra bacon for a post 10K breakfast. Took a look at the breakfast sandwiches $6.49 + TAX!!!!, A year ago they were 3.99 and they are nothing special just some sandwiches served on a hotplate.

If I'm going to pay $ 6.49 for a breakfast sandwich it had better be something special.

Eoghann

Since the subject of Universal has arisin, here are a couple of recent observations. Unless you are a Harry Potter fan, there really aren't a lot of attractions for families, seniors or others not into coasters or intense dark rides and shows. There is ET, the live animal show, Poisiden, Sinbad (really lame) and a couple of others. Jurassic Park is also a possibility. There used to be Twister, Jaws,, the old King Kong, Ghost Busters,etc. Most attractions now are geared for either the quite young (Suess), or for teens, young adults or other thrill ride fans.

I was going to dispute this but then I realized that you're basically listing Islands of Adventure rides so it may be pretty accurate for that park. In Studios though I think Minions, Simpsons and Transformers are all pretty family friendly. And that's from someone who doesn't do coasters at all.

P_Radden

Especially in the morning, right? Of course, at night is always a blast. Even though, to be honest, as my age, a good day is a good woodie at any time, really. We are lucky, up here in Cincy, we have one of the best ever. . .

haha from your username I always assumed you were down here in Lexington area

Grumpy4196

I was going to dispute this but then I realized that you're basically listing Islands of Adventure rides so it may be pretty accurate for that park. In Studios though I think Minions, Simpsons and Transformers are all pretty family friendly. And that's from someone who doesn't do coasters at all.

While all of these rides are technically listed as family rides they all have a 40" minimum height requirement to ride so that leaves out a fair amount of smaller kids. Also Transformers in particular is pretty intense so IMO really doesn't qualify as a "Family Friendly" ride.

Eoghann

While all of these rides are technically listed as family rides they all have a 40" minimum height requirement to ride so that leaves out a fair amount of smaller kids. Also Transformers in particular is pretty intense so IMO really doesn't qualify as a "Family Friendly" ride.

Well again personal tastes. At 40" you're excluding probably the 5 and unders? My 9 year olds were both happy doing Transformers as was I. And again, I don't do "intense". No coasters, no big drops, I didn't even do Forbidden Journey.

Cesar R M

I have big hopes.. Nintendo has a lot of characters and lore they can use.

Cesar R M

Speaking of Transformers, it definitively feels like as is improved clone of Spiderman.
Same ride system, same path, just different scenes and better wider and taller screens.

definitively liked transformers. but that running scene was awful in one area(one projector was clearly unsynced and until you get "grabbed" in the end of the scene, the next projector takes over..) ended being pretty dizzy.
The ride itself and the theme of the inside is top notch. Loved it!

In the other hand. E.T. feels dated as hell, the theme and ride system is amazing, but those animatronics and the usage of simple generic dummies takes alot from the ride.

Cesar R M

Well again personal tastes. At 40" you're excluding probably the 5 and unders? My 9 year olds were both happy doing Transformers as was I. And again, I don't do "intense". No coasters, no big drops, I didn't even do Forbidden Journey.
in my opinion,journey had less "force" but more shaking than Transformers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom