A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

For a million bucks, do her employers not have the right to dictate her look?
Socially Disney could never be able to pass over a CEO candidate (another multi-million dollar job) for weighing too much, or for that candidate's gender, ethnicity, height, etc., but all of which are valid reasons for not being cast in a role. These types of discrimination and identity issues and what that means to acting has recently been a topic of discussion and controversy outside of just Carrier Fisher.

For the record, while she was told to lose 35 lbs, Hamill was ordered to lose 50!
Ford has kept himself in decent enough shape (a younger wife and an active career will do that) was issued no such edict.
Even Anthony Daniels had to lose weight so as to fit into the C-3PO costume.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The basic expenses times two is all there is. If cost of film and domestic marketing are $350m then $350m x 2 = $700m, a point recently hit. Better deals means the actual point would have been sooner than $700m domestic, like maybe a week ago when the film hit $1 billion globally
Just doing the old double rule of thumb (which doesn't apply well to global box office), global marketing would only have to be an additional $150m on top of the $100m domestic for the total package to hit $500m.

Yet when those whose deals include a share of the profits of TFA, It will be found that TFA is actually a money loser for the TWDC and there ARE NO PROFITS. Ah the wonders of 'Hollywood Accounting' accounting practices which in any other line of business would get the accountants a 'room without a view'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't get the Carrie Fisher thing at all. If that's what she looks like 30 years after RotJ, that's also what Princess Leia should look like. End of story. People age.

I *think* it's because she is playing the part of an intergalactic princess turned military general. She's not playing Carrie Fisher, the largely out of work actress. Different parts call for different things. It's not body shaming to ask an actor or actress to look like the character they are playing.

Now, if she was an accountant, or a doctor, or whatever, and her bosses told her lose weight, that would be an issue.

Cesar R M

That's an interesting claim. Can you support it? Because Disney took over Marvel in 2009, which was pretty early in the MCU's existence. Most of the Phase 1 films where in some level of development at that point and there was always a plan to build to The Avengers from the start of the MCU. But basically all of the Phase 2 films were developed and produced under Disney's auspices. In fact,Marvel Studios has a rep for a very fast production time from earliest drafts to release with films going from blue sky to hitting theaters often in 3 years or less.

Shane Black was hired in early 2011 to write and direct Iron Man 3 and it came out in 2013. Don Payne was hired to write the script for Thor: The Dark World in 2011 and the move came out in late 2013. The Winter Soldier does seem to have been in development relatively early, as Markus and McFeely were already on board to write a script by 2011 for the 2014 but still seemed to have been fully developed under Disney. The first drafts of the Guardians of the Galaxy script were only made in 2011 and it was reportedly re-writter in 2012 by James Gunn and the move came out in 2014. And, of course, Ant-Man's script was famously reworked after Edgar Wright left production a bit over a year before the films release and Adam McKay and Paul Rudd modified it.

My point being, even if some early blue sky ideas where out there for film topics, this stuff was actually fleshed out and made under Disney's ownership and they could, if they were inclined, have "mettled" quite a bit. And yet we've been getting solid films again and again.

And have made damn good movies.

The Transformers movies are wildly panned by critics and the viewing public alike. That's a terrible counter point to the MCU films which have all scored well on composite critical sites (e.g. Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic). That's not fanboys hyping them, but actual professional movie reviewers. The MCU have been nothing like the Transformers films in terms of reception.

There's no perfect objective measure to determine a film's quality. There can always be arguments over how "good" a movie is. However, it would be tough to make a case that the MCU films have not consistently gotten generally positive reception by pretty much everyone -- professional critics, fanboys, casual moviegoers, etc. The box office receipts are reflective of this positive reception, as is the strong value the MCU brand has among moviegoers.

Im about to go to magic kingdom, so I will try to be short and quick,.
You didnt get my point. Scoring is not what im talking about. Im talking about money.
A lot of people here were using the excuse of "but it made 1 billion! it must be a darn good movie!"
money does not equal quality, it simply means it had attraction based on something.
Hence my transformers example.
I was not attacking TFA itself, but the excuse of the money.
Another example of a BAD franchise, was the twilight one.

As for Marvel, you really think they didnt had the phase 1 completely planned already? Disney just happened to have the money to purchase them on their way to peak.
Iron man 1 and Ironman 2 were amazing. during the moments leading to Winter Soldier.. Marvel was firing on all cylinders. only a serious stupid move by Disney would wreck that.
But pretty sure that someone pushed ultron on a hype machine of "more and bigger is better".Which is not, Ultron was an example of degrading quality. Iron man 3 as well.

as for your example, id say shane was the responsible of the dwingling quality then.. because neither thor 2, iron man 3 or ultron was on par of phase 1.
out of phase 2, id say that guardians of the galaxy was the best one. (I think they peaked with the winter soldier and iron man 2)

Cesar R M

Everything I have Googled indicates that both she and Hamill were paid "in the low seven figures range". i.e. - more than a million dollars.

For a million bucks, do her employers not have the right to dictate her look?

I'm probably going to take some heat for this, but I'll say it anyway - men generally age better than women. More importantly, they are allowed to age, more so than their female counterparts.

I for one, do not want to see a fat Princess Leia. Not even in her current role of a General.

For a million dollar paycheque, I'd happily join a gym, drop some weight, dye my hair, and get a decent hairstyle.

Plus, she gets to be a part of what will surely be the highest earning movie (for now, if not forever), you'd think she'd want to look her best!
hu. no offense.. but normal every day people would do that.
Now try asking that to Harrison Ford. HE CAN refuse if he wants.
Same with Carrie.

I dont think there was a darn point in the contract "fit in a bikini or not appear in the movie".

lazyboy97o

Im about to go to magic kingdom, so I will try to be short and quick,.
You didnt get my point. Scoring is not what im talking about. Im talking about money.
A lot of people here were using the excuse of "but it made 1 billion! it must be a darn good movie!"
money does not equal quality, it simply means it had attraction based on something.
Hence my transformers example.
I was not attacking TFA itself, but the excuse of the money.
Another example of a BAD franchise, was the twilight one.

As for Marvel, you really think they didnt had the phase 1 completely planned already? Disney just happened to have the money to purchase them on their way to peak.
Iron man 1 and Ironman 2 were amazing. during the moments leading to Winter Soldier.. Marvel was firing on all cylinders. only a serious stupid move by Disney would wreck that.
But pretty sure that someone pushed ultron on a hype machine of "more and bigger is better".Which is not, Ultron was an example of degrading quality. Iron man 3 as well.
The meddling that happened Age of Ultron and even the other films is rather well documented and discussed, and it is centered around issues within Marvel itself.

John

I don't get the Carrie Fisher thing at all. If that's what she looks like 30 years after RotJ, that's also what Princess Leia should look like. End of story. People age.

I don't think no one expects her to look like she did 30 yrs ago. But this is Hollywood.....its the "movies". I think people were just surprised to see her look so matronly. Forget about her weight for a moment. They could have colored her hair. And if we are not supposed to look at her in the same likeness as 30 years ago, why then give her the same hair do? They even wrote a line in the movie about her do. Her uniform? It looked like a pant suit Hillary Clinton wears on the campaign trail. Horrible! She doesn't have to look like a MILF....but good grief give her a little more edge. You are asking us to think of her in "real life" the movies are not real. I think Fords look was exactly how he should have looked. A three day beard, grizzled looking. He is a scallywag.....a futuristic good guy pirate. I thought Hamil looked a little rough as well. Someone must have punched him in the nose in the past, he too looked over weight. I think they compensated this by making him look even older then he is. He looked more like Obi wan then Luke. But then again maybe that's what they were going for.

RSoxNo1

For the record, while she was told to lose 35 lbs, Hamill was ordered to lose 50!
Ford has kept himself in decent enough shape (a younger wife and an active career will do that) was issued no such edict.

I know it's a secret and all, but who is the world's greatest secret agent?
I'm sure they were all compensated handsomely for reprising their roles. They're actors, this type of stuff is part of the job. People need to get over it.

asianway

I *think* it's because she is playing the part of an intergalactic princess turned military general. She's not playing Carrie Fisher, the largely out of work actress. Different parts call for different things. It's not body shaming to ask an actor or actress to look like the character they are playing.

Now, if she was an accountant, or a doctor, or whatever, and her bosses told her lose weight, that would be an issue.
What? No ones upset there wasn't a Rey bikini scene? I mean lets talk the real issues

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
hu. no offense.. but normal every day people would do that.
Now try asking that to Harrison Ford. HE CAN refuse if he wants.
Same with Carrie.

I dont think there was a darn point in the contract "fit in a bikini or not appear in the movie".
Nobody asked her to fit in a bikini. They asked her to lose some weight.

Even as a woman currently sporting a few extra pounds myself, I have zero issues with that.

Ford didn't need to lose weight. The other two did, and were therefor told to do so. That's hardly body shaming.

MonkeyHead

Unless she flat out declined, they were going to use her no matter what. Period.

Do you really think they'd be so stupid as to re-cast? There is nothing wrong with the way she looks right now - especially considering her past life issues.

Pretty sure real life military generals aren't all hot, young and pretty either...

BlueSkyDriveBy

Unless she flat out declined, they were going to use her no matter what. Period.

Do you really think they'd be so stupid as to re-cast? There is nothing wrong with the way she looks right now - especially considering her past life issues.

Pretty sure real life military generals aren't all hot, young and pretty either...
Absolutely correct.

Does anyone, including the Rotunda Bldg execs, believe that TFA's record-smashing box office performance would be exactly the same without the OT Big Three™?

Han, Luke, and Leia are the main draw here. And TWDC knows it. Right down to their bones. :cool:

The Empress Lilly

I thought Hamil looked a little rough as well. Someone must have punched him in the nose in the past
Well, Mark Hamill did get into a car accident once that fractured his nose and cheekbone, which is why he looks the way he looks.

Life leaves its traces on people. At twenty people look fresh out of the package. At sixty, you look at forty years of adult living. Carrie Fisher suffered from mental problems, from medicines with all sorts of complications, and from more or less related substance abuse. Hamill had a car accident, followed by a certain sustained aversion to the gym.

But I think they both looked fantastic in TFA, actually. Not in a catwalk pretty kind of way, but as having characteristic faces and appearances. Such a shame Hollywood only ever films seventeen year olds. Rembrandt and Van Gogh knew better, the fifty or sixty year old face may be less pretty, but it's more interesting than the pixel perfect seventeen year old one.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom