A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

Lucas ruined his own legacy. Have you not been paying attention? He has no one to blame but himself.

If only we could've gotten him to sell before he went through with the Special Editions.

Seriously. The person who has been desecrating Lucas' films is Lucas himself.

Edit: Can you imagine the outcry from the "Lucas is a creative genius" crowd if Disney had gone and tinkered with the OT by having Han shoot first, putting Christianson's Force Ghost in Ep VI and adding random unnecessary CGI all over the place?

lazyboy97o

I am aware of that because the sad truth is Lucas was given so much crap over the years that he gave up on the thing and got tricked into selling it to Iger and his cronies.
Now you're just spouting nonsense. Lucas started swearing off Star Wars in the 1970s. He begrudgingly went back to the prequels to cash in on them (there never was any grand vision for the saga) and then again started right back with his talk of being done with Star Wars. Lucas has given up on Star Wars countless times and it began well before 1997.

FigmentJedi

Who doesn't want CGI everything?!

I see it otherwise, this time Iger saved SW from Lucas and his incessant changing the original trilogy and creating more flat CG films with the SW name attached.

You do know the Prequels had more miniatures and animatronics/puppets in a single film then the entire original trilogy combined right?
There's plenty of CG in them with creatures and droids, but environments were still easier to do as miniatures and matte paintings.

And the idea that George is entirely creatively bankrupt is bunk when you consider The Clone Wars. All the story ideas started with him and he actually had a strong creative team to develop them into excellent television much like how the Original Trilogy was created. George's outlines could easily have made for good films, but the acidic part of the fandom is so vocal Disney bolted fast from them and we got a loose ANH remake.

Show's all on Netflix. If you take out the imaginary oversized Jar Jar Binks action figure you keep claiming George shoved up your butt, you might actually enjoy it.

HMF

I wish someone would trick me with four billion. Heck I'd be tricked for half that.
I will acknowledge that unfortunately George was so tired of the abuse that selling out appeared attractive to him. For the money you can make anybody do anything apparently.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Now you're just spouting nonsense. Lucas started swearing off Star Wars in the 1970s. He begrudgingly went back to the prequels to cash in on them (there never was any grand vision for the saga) and then again started right back with his talk of being done with Star Wars. Lucas has given up on Star Wars countless times and it began well before 1997.
I would say he tried to axe the whole thing by letting the holiday special be aired

FigmentJedi

The idea of prequel films were present as far back as those loose "This is a 12 film story" outlines that got whittled down to 9 and then just 6. It's just that the bulk of those oldest backstory notes he had on it were what became II and III, mostly III.

lazyboy97o

The idea of prequel films were present as far back as those loose "This is a 12 film story" outlines that got whittled down to 9 and then just 6. It's just that the bulk of those oldest backstory notes he had on it were what became II and III, mostly III.
Notes that weren't much more than a single film that he might one day get around to making. Even the 12 film plan was originally an anthology made by others. When it comes to Star Wars, Lucas has only been consistent in his inconsistency. Like with Empire Strikes Back, he insisted he didn't want to be involved and is now whining that he wasn't involved. This time he insisted too far and, unlike he constantly did in the past, cannot undo his decision.

FigmentJedi

I will acknowledge that unfortunately George was so tired of the abuse that selling out appeared attractive to him. For the money you can make anybody do anything apparently.
And really, George was a Disney fanboy well before he started partnering with them. Like he's always said that if Walt was alive when he was pitching Star Wars, he believes that he would have gone for the project right away. It's the same sort of love for the company that lead Jim Henson to wanting to sell his company to Disney back in the 90s.

Of course, Bob's not a Walt Disney or even a Michael Eisner.

lazyboy97o

And really, George was a Disney fanboy well before he started partnering with them. Like he's always said that if Walt was alive when he was pitching Star Wars, he believes that he would have gone for the project right away. It's the same sort of love for the company that lead Jim Henson to wanting to sell his company to Disney back in the 90s.

Of course, Bob's not a Walt Disney or even a Michael Eisner.
No, Iger would be the Lucas fanboy, overly in love with the consumer products driven franchise concept that was pretty much created by Lucas.

HMF

No, Iger would be the Lucas fanboy, overly in love with the consumer products driven franchise concept that was pretty much created by Lucas.
Oh, Iger wanted the franchise no doubt about it. Why do you think he set up John Carter (a similar science fiction movie) to fail? He wanted to get Star Wars and sweet-talked Lucas into it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom