A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

On what planet? Is TWDC unique in this regard?

GM = Sales - COS
GM% = (Sales - COS) / Sales
You are correct. GM does not include depreciation. I think @ParentsOf4 was really talking about Segment Operating Income which is GM + SG&A + depreciation. The company generally talks about Segment Operating Income in their MD&A.
Yes.

Technically, I should use the term "operating margin".
Because depreciation is usually accounted for in COS as it refers to plant and equipment
Yeah, for a manufacturer. Depreciation is absolutely not included in cost of sales for either a service or retail model.
My background in product manufacturing is showing. ;)

NormC

Foxxy Hooves is saying Echo Lake going bye bye. Two steps forward...

Anyone here willing to confirm or deny?
I will deny. Not that I have any inside info but I just do not see it happening. It is part of the theming of that part of the park.

Bolna

I just hope that everyone happy about the seemingly coming disappearance of Rasulo from TWDC will not get rid of all those that "grew up" in Strategic Planning. Staggs is from exactly the same roots. For all we know he might just have had better people to advise him and who gave him the hint that he should try to fake being interested in the parks - oh and he was lucky to have kids that he could take to the parks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just hope that everyone happy about the seemingly coming disappearance of Rasulo from TWDC will not get rid of all those that "grew up" in Strategic Planning. Staggs is from exactly the same roots. For all we know he might just have had better people to advise him and who gave him the hint that he should try to fake being interested in the parks - oh and he was lucky to have kids that he could take to the parks.

Yes Staggs is from Strategic planning, But when he is at the parks with his kids he at least SEEMS to be enjoying himself he may simply be a good actor or perhaps he does enjoy the parks but 'Does the needful' to succeed at TWDC.

However whenever Iger or Rasulo show up at the parks their body language shows that they would rather be anywhere BUT at the parks AND they are surrounded by a HORDE of plaid's to keep the 'riff-raff' away (i.e. the guests)

lebeau

Beats the maximum suck

tumblr_mkpg7cF7bs1rg0lgoo3_500.gif

Rodan75

So in Non-Disney news...anyone else feel sorry for Amy Pascal ouster at Sony? Seems like the lone woman over a major studio was chosen to be the fall guy for the hack. I had my money on the blame going to Michael Lynton and him falling on his sword. Of course Sony security still sucks and that blame lies squarely on Kaz not SPE leadership.

lebeau

So in Non-Disney news...anyone else feel sorry for Amy Pascal ouster at Sony? Seems like the lone woman over a major studio was chosen to be the fall guy for the hack. I had my money on the blame going to Michael Lynton and him falling on his sword. Of course Sony security still sucks and that blame lies squarely on Kaz not SPE leadership.

Before her site went dark, Nikki Finke was doing a multi-part story on Sony's inept management. This was before the hacks. Unfortunately, she never got around to posting the rest of the series. Let me tell you, no one came off looking good in the part that was posted. Sounds like they need to clean house.

the.dreamfinder

So there were some interesting little nuggets in Variety's article on Staggs' big promotion.
http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/di...ositioning-him-as-igers-successor-1201423601/
Disney sources emphasized that Staggs’ promotion to COO does not give him a lock on inheriting the top job from Iger. His strategic vision and leadership skills will be closely evaluated by the Disney board during the next three years. “By no means is this a guarantee,” said a source close to the situation.
“Humility is not the same as self-doubt,” Staggs told the crowd.

“The dangerous thing about success is that it can kill your interest in introspection….It takes confidence to admit you don’t have all the right answers. …Humility is just as important to long-term success as self-confidence.”

Staggs surely will get to practice what he preaches in the next three years. Iger’s most recent contract extension keeps him in the chairman-CEO post through June 2018. Despite the promotion, Staggs’ is not assured of advancing to the CEO post — rumors persist that some Disney board members are leaning toward other options including persuading Lasseter to take the top job after Iger steps down

truecoat

Yeah, that was a long time coming. The hack was a good way to hasten it.

Rodan75

Before her site went dark, Nikki Finke was doing a multi-part story on Sony's inept management. This was before the hacks. Unfortunately, she never got around to posting the rest of the series. Let me tell you, no one came off looking good in the part that was posted. Sounds like they need to clean house.

yeah, I had forgotten about that. Maybe they should have sold SPE when they had a chance in 2013.

Rodan75

PLEASE YES!!!!!! :D

I can't believe for one second that Disney's board would want Lassetter as CEO. He is a creative leader, not a Wall Street leader and TWDC needs both. I can't believe I'm saying this...they need someone closer to Eisner or Jeff Bewkes. Someone who can corale the creatives and the analysts. I can't believe anyone on the board would be deluded enough to think Lassetter is that guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom