A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrianLo

Thanks and same to you, Mike.

No, it doesn't fit. And too many Star Wars rabid fans don't understand how this will fundamentally alter DL in a way nothing has for 60 years. I don't care whether you liked the new movie. I don't care whether you already are planning your years around the openings of future movies. None of that matters for the purpose of SW in DL in such a large way. But the boat has sailed and one large part of what made DL so, so special is about to be destroyed so that Bob Iger can put his mark on Walt's park like a dog on a carpet.

The Florida situation is completely different since that park has been slaughtered. SW in the swamps can only help.

People other than Spirit can answer this for me... But I'm a bit flummoxed on what exactly is being destroyed by Star Wars entering DL?

Maybe I'm just not getting the extent of the plans, maybe I'm too optimistic. I just get this feeling of a knee jerk reaction similar to how people reacted to Avatar being the death knell of Animal Kingdom. Obviously sentiment has greatly changed in many (not yet all) corners.

Nothing is leaving DL, the current version of the park will continue to exist now with an extension (outside the berm). I don't get the impression the goal is to destroy sight lines... I'd have a completely different reaction if they were actually getting rid of ROA.

Unless you really rank the canoes being the one and only thing that makes DL so special. Or you are particularly affectionate to Critter Country remaining a dead end. The only true negative seems to be the shorter ride time around the ROA.

So, what am I missing? What is this land destroying at DL that Indy, Star Tour, Toon town, a Swiss Mountain at the end of Main Street etc etc weren't able to?

AEfx

Was just checking up on news and this popped up - thought was interesting based on some of the discussion the past few pages:

Star Wars Franchise Worth More Than Harry Potter and James Bond, Combined
http://fortune.com/2015/12/24/star-wars-value-worth/

And more than the GDP of Jordan.

With Star Wars: The Force Awakens breaking records at the box office since opening Dec. 17, the franchise’s total value only swells by the day.

Reaping in $238 million at U.S. turnstiles and $517 million globally last week, the seventh chapter in the Star Wars canon adds millions of dollars more to the value of the entire series. Taking into account other ancillary revenue streams such as merchandise, licensing, DVD sales and even the brand name itself, here is Fortune’s breakdown of the franchise’s value, using actual and estimated data from a variety of sources:

Box Office
Using data from Box Office Mojo, the total worldwide box office gross for all seven original films, the three “special edition” re-releases, the re-issues of the first two movies in 1982, and the animated film Star Wars: The Clone Wars in 2008 comes in at $5.149 billion. Keep in mind, this isn’t actually adjusted for ticket price inflation as Box Office Mojo doesn’t track inflation-adjusted worldwide grosses, so the actual, inflation-adjusted total is likely to have been much higher: Fortune has estimated that the seven episodes alone could total $7.3 billion in inflation-adjusted dollars for global sales. We will use this estimate for the box office takings of all the films: $7.3 billion.

Home Entertainment Sales
Star Wars lives far beyond the big screen — from old-school VHS to current digital downloads, the franchise has a force that awakens living rooms too. According to Statistic Brain Research Institute, the revenue generated from DVD sales, rentals, digital sales and VHS sales amount to around $5.291 billion. Add in the estimate by Bloomberg that The Force Awakens should bring in around $458 million in its first year of release post-cinema — which would be on the conservative side — and the total here amounts to: $5.749 billion.

Toys and Merchandise
When Sphero’s adorable replica of the BB-8 droid from the newest Star Wars came out, it instantly became one of the hottest toys on the market, and a display of the franchises’ power on the shelves of retail stores. Using both Statistic Brain and CNBC’s calculations, the total revenue from toy licensing linked to Star Wars since 1977 is estimated at $12 billion. Add in Bloomberg’s future revenue estimate of $5 billion from merchandise linked to The Force Awakens, and the total value comes in at: $17 billion.

Video Games
Based on analysis done by 24/7 Wall Street and off the list by VGChartz of the total number of Star Wars-related units sold — there are around 100 Star Wars titles — the franchise has earned $3 billion in sales so far. Bloomberg estimates two upcoming titles, Disney Infinity 3.0 and Star Wars: Battlefront, will bring in $1.28 billion. Estimated total: $4.28 billion.

Intellectual Property
We can use the 2012 price that Disney DIS 0.28% paid for Lucasfilm, the company founded by Star Wars creator George Lucas and home of the Star Wars franchise: $4 billion.

Miscellaneous
Other sources of revenue for Star Wars include books ($1.82 billion), the Clone Wars animated TV series ($4.5 million), licensing fees ($825 million) and the resale market for all Star Wars collectibles (around $1 billion). Using estimates from Statistic Brain and 24/7 Wall Street, we can add this into an estimated value of: $3.65 billion.

Total: $41.979 billion

This falls in line with other estimates of between $27 billion and $42 billion for the franchise. According to The Telegraph, this would beat the combined value of the Harry Potter and James Bond franchises (around $33 billion), and dwarf other entertainment franchises like Twilight (around $6 billion) and Lord of the Rings (also around $6 billion).

Star Wars would also exceed the GDP of countries like Jordan and Paraguay.

hpyhnt 1000

A Very Merry Christmas to all of the people who haunt these discussion boards. I haven't been able to post here over the latter half of 2015, but that doesn't mean I am not always around in Spirit. To my real world friends here, and to everyone reading along, a happy and healthy and chaos-free 2016.

With that in mind, just like the goodies you woke up to in that ratty old Santa's stocking, let's have a few Spirited musings to help aid the digestive system on that big roast that Aunt Carol overcooked, shall we?

Let's get Star Wars out of the way since every fanboi and his uncle Bob want to make it the second coming. Saw it. Liked it. Thought it was fine popcorn entertainment that got the series back on track after the horrific last trilogy. No, it wasn't great. Not by a long shot. And if you're going to see it 5-6 times, well ... I think you have too much time on your hands and lack of respect for $$$. I've never seen a film that was worth more than two showings in a theater during an original release window. But whatever ...

Oh, and not nearly enough Carrie Fisher or backstory about just how she and Han had a brat together who has a fixation with masks and, apparently, is a young Snape on the loose from Hogwarts!

And was it just me or was BB-8 referred to by name an inordinate number of times to make sure all those mommies and daddies, especially those who have arrested development 30-ish fanboi sons who like to play with toys, would know exactly what toys to buy?

Yes, Disney really didn't care about Arlo and Spot ... I mean The Good Dinosaur at all. The only two things that Robert A. Iger, Your Friendly Neighborhood Weatherman, cares about is Star Wars and another galaxy far, far away.

Anyone think Rich Greenfield of BTIG got a Christmas gift from DIS? How about a severed horse's head in his bed from Zenia. Doesn't he know the importance of staying on script? The Burbank-approved script?

The security theater at the theme parks really is too much. Does anyone stop and think that any potential evildoer realized long ago where the vulnerable spots were and are? Think CM jobs, access points, the resorts ... just about anywhere ...'cause that's why it is called terrorism. (And to hear rubes talking about how it makes them feel safer. Do these people even have the capacity to think critically?)

Ah, let's move on to more important things. Like Shanghai Disneyland. You recall that one, right? Bob Iger's vanity project.

I could write a few thousand words here about everything that has transpired since we last spoke, but I am sure that the bloggers will all be writing about this, right? And Tweeting?

Countless delays. Parts that would arrive in 36-72 hours in the USA, take a month and then aren't up to specs. Internal dates ... deadlines pass by and nothing happens. Imagineers getting sick on site and demanding to go home. Last opening I heard ... well, why does it matter? It will change.

Last week, SDL GM Phil Gas held a large meeting for all US-based salaried cast where he pontificated for quite a while on how amazing and MAGICal the project was and how work was moving along splendidly. Now, he said this to the people on the ground who have been living the nightmare for years. Audible groans and laughs were heard. But everyone gathered there figured this had to be it. This had to be the big deal, the real deal, the DATE was coming.

And ...

He thanked everyone for their efforts and handed out tickets to see The Force Awakens. REALLY! No, you can't make this stuff up.

Which leads us to Bob Iger's uncomfortable televised interview with Bloomberg that was quietly released on Monday. An interview in which he puked forth how happy the company has been with Star Wars (gee, with a 'shove it down their throats the world over for the past year' model, who ever saw that coming?) An interview in which he was clearly caught off-guard (maybe Zenia was hanging with gal pals Ursula, Maleficent and Cruella for a Lonely Evil Gals Holiday Party in Van Nuys) by questions on SDL.

Bob admitted that once again he wasn't able to live up to prior word and announce an opening date before the end of the year. He was also not forthcoming on having one soon. Simply saying they'd announce something in early 2016 ... because ... you know ... you can simply say on Feb. 3rd that SDL will debut on June 11th. There's no need to have a buildup and media splash. No need to allow people (or simply myself and @Lee and @WDWFigment and a few others here) to plan ahead. Besides, this park isn't really for people more than a few hundred miles from Shanghai and its amazing (and visible approximately 31 days a year) skyline.

But then ... well, Bob came apart. He basically said the Chinese weren't capable of building complex things like theme parks (I am sure he simply forgot the venues of the Beijing Olympiad, the thousands of miles of new high-speed rail or even all of those skyscrapers hiding in Shanghai's fog). He came off defensive. His quotes and demeanor came off offensive to his Chinese 'partners' so what did he do?

Nothing. Z and her team put the press on Bloomberg and ... voila ... suddenly the video was gone from the 'net (sound familiar at all?) and when it returned it did so with ALL of the China questions and responses scrubbed clean. Like they never happened. Unfortunately, Willow doesn't work for Bloomberg and the print story is (as of now anyway ... and I am not in the States, so things could be different there) still there with all those quotes that Bob wishes he never said.

The rest of the financial media that covers DIS basically ignored that anything had come out at all because that is how a free press operates in a democracy doncha know?

I know this doesn't bother most of you and that's kewl. I'm not overly interested in Star Wars myself, but it's a discussion board. When the head of the world's largest media and entertainment corporation, one with a network news division under its umbrella, actively tries to suppress (and succeeds in censoring viewpoints and) words, even his own, that run contrary to his business interests, I think it's a hell of a lot more important than how much money Mark Hamill was paid for his day (or was it two or three due to weather?) of work on SW TFA.

Disney and Bob are failing miserably in China. Failing in a way that SW can't hide or cover for. Failing in a way that all of the low-lifes playing the social media whoring game can't cover up for (notice how many now actively link to DIS owned sites that sell merchandise?) And the thing is, it's likely to only get worse. ...How many times do you rebuild the same faulty structure using materials that come from the family of an official indicted and jailed on graft charges before you ask yourself, ''What is our exposure when this hits?'' ... You can't bury things like this and think that your takeover of social media means no one will find out. They always do, it's just a question of when and how.

I do love all of those added attractions that the $800 million 2014 cash infusion has provided for though.

So, UNI bought all of that land that probably a dozen people here said they were after going back two years. Doesn't guarantee a third park just yet, but I would be very surprised if a decade from now UNI didn't have three parks (not including the Volcano Bay project) either open or close to it.

Finally, nothing has made me sadder or madder in my fan life as seeing what is about to happen at DL. Star Wars has no place being shoved into Walt's park. Into a tiny little area with no room for real expansion. This is cheap and lazy and will alter the park in a way nothing else has for 60 years. Trees that date to Nature's Wonderland days are slated for slaughter for shops that will sell lightsabers (or maybe not anymore, we just don't know!)

If Bob is so sure about Star Wars, then he should have greenlighted quality temp attractions (Launch Bay isn't it; folks at WDI are embarrassed by it) that could keep the fires burning for 3-5 years while building a third gate with a major SW component if not an entire park. Destroying one of DL's last major areas that Walt oversaw for SW attractions ...well, I don't have anything good to say.

Oh, and someone tell my pal Phil that Toontown at DL simply got a stay of execution as it won't be here all that many more years. It just simply won't be leaving for SW product, but for things that are more fitting of the area that surrounds it.

Again, to all, Happy Holidays!

Our prodigal son has returned! Nice to hear from you again, Spirit. A few things that struck me based on some of your points:

I saw those Bloomberg clips of the interview and, oh my, it's cringe inducing watching Iger word-salad his way through. As bad as his "the Chinese haven't built something as complex as a theme park" line was (but hey, at least he was honest about how he (and by extension Disney) feels about the Chinese!), I thought his responses to the ESPN questions were even worse. Whoever briefed him on that report did a lousy job because Iger looked pretty clueless about it. I think its safe to say Iger didn't read it. And if you're going to say that that analyst has been "wrong" about Disney so many times before, why can't you list one or two examples? I'm always wary of people who say there are "numerous examples" of something and then can't cite even one of them.

Agree with you completely on Star Wars at DLR. Thematic and tone-deaf-to-the-park's-heritage issues aside, how do they expect Disneyland park to be able to cope with what will certainly be a new influx of visitors? After all that effort to build up DCA in an attempt to better disburse crowds around the resort, they go and do this. Even post reboot, Disneyland's numbers are much greater than DCA's; shoe horning Star Wars into DL, in a spot that is completely boxed in with no additional space for expansion, is baffling.

As for Shanghai...amazing how Disney had no trouble announcing the opening date for EPCOT Center at the park's groundbreaking in 1979, 3 years before opening day. Even put it on the banner! But Shanghai is "complex" whereas, you know, building a 180' geosphere, a 40 acre lagoon, dozens of pavilions, ride systems and state-of-the-art animatronics, with 1970's technology to boot, was child's play.

100212_FS_FromTheArchives_EpcotOrigins_ConvergingFutureWorldWorldShowcase_4.1.jpg

I think you are taking comments way too far where you want them to be. Nothing he said is making statements that the prior deployment is obsolete. For instance, a model he could be describing could have both bands AND NFC enabled devices... giving customers choice and additional features. Using mobile could be a way of taking the digital token they have today further.

By moving to a common, digital infrastructure and token model (as part of the NextGen overhaul of Disney's back-office), they have set themselves up for these rapid advances in tech.

Even if the reader tech was somehow antiquated - its going to be a lot easier swapping out components in an existing digital infrastructure than the start from scratch they did with NextGen.

Agree. I think this has as much to do with Bob Iger not thinking carefully about the words he uses as it does with the viability of the MM+ infrastructure moving forward. Then again, this wouldn't be an issue at all if Disney had managed expectations from the start and had properly defined what NextGen primarily was (or at least what it should have been): a "back room" infrastructure upgrade that also happened to have a few consumer facing upgrades. Instead, they sold the program as the greatest tech achievement since Audio-Animatronics, and then went and spent a couple orders of magnitude more than they should have trying to make that delusion a reality.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

I think you are taking comments way too far where you want them to be. Nothing he said is making statements that the prior deployment is obsolete. For instance, a model he could be describing could have both bands AND NFC enabled devices... giving customers choice and additional features. Using mobile could be a way of taking the digital token they have today further.
I'm not taking Iger's comments anywhere. Iger specifically was asked about the technology associated with MyMagic+, even if Stephanie Ruhle called it by its most recognizable symbol, MagicBands:

The magic bands technology, the seamless pay that you rolled out in Orlando that was successful but also a big investment. Will we see that in Shanghai? Or has Apple Pay, mobile payments, kind of made that obsolete?​

Ruhle pointedly asked if "[t]he magic bands technology" would be used in Shanghai or whether advances elsewhere "kind of made that [technology] obsolete?"

Iger dodged the question and responded with:

What you'll see in Shanghai is a park that from a technological perspective is more advanced than anything we've ever built. That will show up in the attractions themselves but it will also show up in commerce or B to C or C to B transactions. So the consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today.​

There was no talk of MyMagic+ technology in Iger's response. Instead, Iger indicated that "from a technological perspective [Shanghai Disneyland] is more advanced than anything we've ever built" and that Guests will "use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today.”
By moving to a common, digital infrastructure and token model (as part of the NextGen overhaul of Disney's back-office), they have set themselves up for these rapid advances in tech.

Even if the reader tech was somehow antiquated - its going to be a lot easier swapping out components in an existing digital infrastructure than the start from scratch they did with NextGen.
Disney needed to overhaul its entire system, there's no doubt about that. However, I just spent 3 nights at WDW and, frankly, their wireless network stinks. Meanwhile, it's 2 years after MyMagic+’s rollout and I still hear CMs complain about frequent intermittent problems. And I’ve yet to have a single trip where all 6 of my family’s MagicBands actually work to open the d*** hotel door. :D

Between Iger’s unwillingness to defend MyMagic+ technology against a specific question by a well-known financial anchor, my repeated poor first-hand experiences, and comments I continue to hear from those using the technology every day, it appears that WDW still requires significant capital investment and software development in order to get its MyMagic+ technology working properly.

lazyboy97o

Spirit, is part of the reason for the delay in opening or even announcing an opening date a reflection of how they feel about this park being a Chinese park (No need or desire to accommodate Americans)?
What other international Disney theme park was built for Americans?

I found the POS terminal one of the simplier things in the solution honestly. I was surprised they went with their own terminal design... but its pretty simple and works. Disney controlling the experience vs constantly wishing certain percentages of their customers are on xyz platform with abc software is a far better solution. No one gives a crap they can't use apple pay instead of their MB.
I'm not so much at issue with the preferred platform, just it working. In my experience, using ApplePay at Walt Disney World has consistently been a headache.

People other than Spirit can answer this for me... But I'm a bit flummoxed on what exactly is being destroyed by Star Wars entering DL?

Maybe I'm just not getting the extent of the plans, maybe I'm too optimistic. I just get this feeling of a knee jerk reaction similar to how people reacted to Avatar being the death knell of Animal Kingdom. Obviously sentiment has greatly changed in many (not yet all) corners.

Nothing is leaving DL, the current version of the park will continue to exist now with an extension (outside the berm). I don't get the impression the goal is to destroy sight lines... I'd have a completely different reaction if they were actually getting rid of ROA.

Unless you really rank the canoes being the one and only thing that makes DL so special. Or you are particularly affectionate to Critter Country remaining a dead end. The only true negative seems to be the shorter ride time around the ROA.

So, what am I missing? What is this land destroying at DL that Indy, Star Tour, Toon town, a Swiss Mountain at the end of Main Street etc etc weren't able to?
The Rivers of America is being destroyed. The whole point of it is its size and scale. Still having a small loop with the same name doesn't mean the experience remains.

Mike S

Was just checking up on news and this popped up - thought was interesting based on some of the discussion the past few pages:
And I thought the opening day line for Hogsmeade was bad....... Just wait till Star Wars Land opens based on that value (and lol at Twilight, not even close). It could potentially help if it opens on both coasts around the same time so people go to the one that's closer but it'll still be a mad house. Will I brave it like I did for Harry Potter? Only time will tell.

HauntedMansionFLA

With all due respect, why would they have any desire to accommodate Americans? Only the most die-hard lifestylers of the lifestylers are waiting on pins and needles to find out when they can be the first in the park, a park that they already seem to loath and have major moral issues with yet are eagerly waiting to give their $ to.
With this partnership looking like it's going downhill, will corporate Disney take this as a learning lesson and start to concentrate with the USA parks since they have total control over them?

DDLand

You're looking at it today, with hindsight. This is not how Disney sold MyMagic+ to the public (and Wall Street) back in 2013.

When originally unveiled, MagicBands were the physical embodiment of MyMagic+ and, as described by Disney, one of MyMagic+'s three key components:
  • My Disney Experience - This includes the updated website and smart phone app.
  • FastPass+ - This was a new way for Guests to access the previously existing FASTPASS service.
  • MagicBand - This was the physical bracelet intended to replace traditional credit card-type ticket media. MagicBand was to be used as a room key, for theme park admission, to pay for food and merchandise, for PhotoPass+, and to redeem FP+ reservations.
Take away MagicBand and, from a Guest perspective, MyMagic+ becomes a software upgrade.

What's interesting to note is that no one in the industry, not even Disney, is rushing to replicate MyMagic+.
You're right that's not really how it was sold, but did we expect anything different? Laying miles of communications infrastructure isn't exciting. Redesigning the software backend isn't eye catching. Building flexible terminals and receivers doesn't get the heart racing.

A cool looking Magic Band is exciting to the consumer.

Trying to explain that MyMagic+ is the platform on which WDW and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in general can build out longterm solutions to a plethora of challenges they were facing wasn't going to be easy. The band made it simple. It's an all in one integrated solution for managing the things that matter most in a theme park. The Magic Band is simply the portal. The portal can change to a number of other connected devices or items, but the main purpose of an all in one flexible solution remains.

Magic Band became the literal embodiment of the program because it was something the consumer could connect with and appreciate. There needed to be meaningful marketing pay off for WDW's investment too. Colorful bands provided that.

I'd also point out that Iger's points were something that WDC Exectives have been saying for sometime. From @AustinC's excellent story earlier in the year:

"Like Iger, Staggs heralds how MyMagic+ will eventually spread to the other Disney theme parks. But when I press him on exactly what this means, Staggs says the company will roll out "variations on MyMagic+." He explains that this "doesn’t mean the MagicBand will be used in every [park]." MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, because restructuring costs would be too high. Shanghai is expected to have such a high proportion of guests with smartphones, he says, that there wouldn’t be any need to export the MagicBand. A MyMagic+ app could essentially replace it.

Staggs seems to be suggesting that the MagicBand may not be necessary in the future. That’s hardly a sign of failure. Staggs is quietly making a point that’s broader and more important than the carping of employees worried about the future of their project. Moving to a smartphone-based MyMagic+ infrastructure may now be more reflective of the realities of the rapidly changing technology landscape. Perhaps it would be foolish to try to keep up with the Apples and Googles of the world when it comes to wearables. "We help ourselves by being less precious, [like] ‘Gee, we invented this MagicBand, we’ve got to use that everywhere,’ " Staggs says. "We’ll use it everywhere it makes sense. But we don’t want to let something we think is cool and cutting edge become a legacy item that we’re trying to drag along."

The Band isn't MyMagic+. I think we'll see MyMagic+ pop up in other areas. It is interesting how things keep moving along.

ItlngrlBella

A Very Merry Christmas to all of the people who haunt these discussion boards. I haven't been able to post here over the latter half of 2015, but that doesn't mean I am not always around in Spirit. To my real world friends here, and to everyone reading along, a happy and healthy and chaos-free 2016.

With that in mind, just like the goodies you woke up to in that ratty old Santa's stocking, let's have a few Spirited musings to help aid the digestive system on that big roast that Aunt Carol overcooked, shall we?

Let's get Star Wars out of the way since every fanboi and his uncle Bob want to make it the second coming. Saw it. Liked it. Thought it was fine popcorn entertainment that got the series back on track after the horrific last trilogy. No, it wasn't great. Not by a long shot. And if you're going to see it 5-6 times, well ... I think you have too much time on your hands and lack of respect for $$$. I've never seen a film that was worth more than two showings in a theater during an original release window. But whatever ...

Oh, and not nearly enough Carrie Fisher or backstory about just how she and Han had a brat together who has a fixation with masks and, apparently, is a young Snape on the loose from Hogwarts!

And was it just me or was BB-8 referred to by name an inordinate number of times to make sure all those mommies and daddies, especially those who have arrested development 30-ish fanboi sons who like to play with toys, would know exactly what toys to buy?

Yes, Disney really didn't care about Arlo and Spot ... I mean The Good Dinosaur at all. The only two things that Robert A. Iger, Your Friendly Neighborhood Weatherman, cares about is Star Wars and another galaxy far, far away.

Anyone think Rich Greenfield of BTIG got a Christmas gift from DIS? How about a severed horse's head in his bed from Zenia. Doesn't he know the importance of staying on script? The Burbank-approved script?

The security theater at the theme parks really is too much. Does anyone stop and think that any potential evildoer realized long ago where the vulnerable spots were and are? Think CM jobs, access points, the resorts ... just about anywhere ...'cause that's why it is called terrorism. (And to hear rubes talking about how it makes them feel safer. Do these people even have the capacity to think critically?)

Ah, let's move on to more important things. Like Shanghai Disneyland. You recall that one, right? Bob Iger's vanity project.

I could write a few thousand words here about everything that has transpired since we last spoke, but I am sure that the bloggers will all be writing about this, right? And Tweeting?

Countless delays. Parts that would arrive in 36-72 hours in the USA, take a month and then aren't up to specs. Internal dates ... deadlines pass by and nothing happens. Imagineers getting sick on site and demanding to go home. Last opening I heard ... well, why does it matter? It will change.

Last week, SDL GM Phil Gas held a large meeting for all US-based salaried cast where he pontificated for quite a while on how amazing and MAGICal the project was and how work was moving along splendidly. Now, he said this to the people on the ground who have been living the nightmare for years. Audible groans and laughs were heard. But everyone gathered there figured this had to be it. This had to be the big deal, the real deal, the DATE was coming.

And ...

He thanked everyone for their efforts and handed out tickets to see The Force Awakens. REALLY! No, you can't make this stuff up.

Which leads us to Bob Iger's uncomfortable televised interview with Bloomberg that was quietly released on Monday. An interview in which he puked forth how happy the company has been with Star Wars (gee, with a 'shove it down their throats the world over for the past year' model, who ever saw that coming?) An interview in which he was clearly caught off-guard (maybe Zenia was hanging with gal pals Ursula, Maleficent and Cruella for a Lonely Evil Gals Holiday Party in Van Nuys) by questions on SDL.

Bob admitted that once again he wasn't able to live up to prior word and announce an opening date before the end of the year. He was also not forthcoming on having one soon. Simply saying they'd announce something in early 2016 ... because ... you know ... you can simply say on Feb. 3rd that SDL will debut on June 11th. There's no need to have a buildup and media splash. No need to allow people (or simply myself and @Lee and @WDWFigment and a few others here) to plan ahead. Besides, this park isn't really for people more than a few hundred miles from Shanghai and its amazing (and visible approximately 31 days a year) skyline.

But then ... well, Bob came apart. He basically said the Chinese weren't capable of building complex things like theme parks (I am sure he simply forgot the venues of the Beijing Olympiad, the thousands of miles of new high-speed rail or even all of those skyscrapers hiding in Shanghai's fog). He came off defensive. His quotes and demeanor came off offensive to his Chinese 'partners' so what did he do?

Nothing. Z and her team put the press on Bloomberg and ... voila ... suddenly the video was gone from the 'net (sound familiar at all?) and when it returned it did so with ALL of the China questions and responses scrubbed clean. Like they never happened. Unfortunately, Willow doesn't work for Bloomberg and the print story is (as of now anyway ... and I am not in the States, so things could be different there) still there with all those quotes that Bob wishes he never said.

The rest of the financial media that covers DIS basically ignored that anything had come out at all because that is how a free press operates in a democracy doncha know?

I know this doesn't bother most of you and that's kewl. I'm not overly interested in Star Wars myself, but it's a discussion board. When the head of the world's largest media and entertainment corporation, one with a network news division under its umbrella, actively tries to suppress (and succeeds in censoring viewpoints and) words, even his own, that run contrary to his business interests, I think it's a hell of a lot more important than how much money Mark Hamill was paid for his day (or was it two or three due to weather?) of work on SW TFA.

Disney and Bob are failing miserably in China. Failing in a way that SW can't hide or cover for. Failing in a way that all of the low-lifes playing the social media whoring game can't cover up for (notice how many now actively link to DIS owned sites that sell merchandise?) And the thing is, it's likely to only get worse. ...How many times do you rebuild the same faulty structure using materials that come from the family of an official indicted and jailed on graft charges before you ask yourself, ''What is our exposure when this hits?'' ... You can't bury things like this and think that your takeover of social media means no one will find out. They always do, it's just a question of when and how.

I do love all of those added attractions that the $800 million 2014 cash infusion has provided for though.

So, UNI bought all of that land that probably a dozen people here said they were after going back two years. Doesn't guarantee a third park just yet, but I would be very surprised if a decade from now UNI didn't have three parks (not including the Volcano Bay project) either open or close to it.

Finally, nothing has made me sadder or madder in my fan life as seeing what is about to happen at DL. Star Wars has no place being shoved into Walt's park. Into a tiny little area with no room for real expansion. This is cheap and lazy and will alter the park in a way nothing else has for 60 years. Trees that date to Nature's Wonderland days are slated for slaughter for shops that will sell lightsabers (or maybe not anymore, we just don't know!)

If Bob is so sure about Star Wars, then he should have greenlighted quality temp attractions (Launch Bay isn't it; folks at WDI are embarrassed by it) that could keep the fires burning for 3-5 years while building a third gate with a major SW component if not an entire park. Destroying one of DL's last major areas that Walt oversaw for SW attractions ...well, I don't have anything good to say.

Oh, and someone tell my pal Phil that Toontown at DL simply got a stay of execution as it won't be here all that many more years. It just simply won't be leaving for SW product, but for things that are more fitting of the area that surrounds it.

Again, to all, Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas!

I loved SW like a fat kid loves candy - I may see it again in Real 3D, but I won't do a 3rd showing.

The first line of dialogue sums up my whole feeling about this movie's place on the franchise: "This will begin to make things right..."

I had no idea SW at DL was butchering such history in the park.

They should have just nixed SW at DL - the park is too small anyway.

While I'm happy that SW is coming to DHS, I would have preferred to have seen a 5th gate/park, solely SW. SW has become too big of a franchise - Go big or go home. ((But fix EPCOT while your at it - that's been the neglected stepchild of the parks).

As for China, this whole thread really wiped the naivety I had regarding media. Politically speaking I do not trust them but I'm sickened as to how much they've sold out to corporate multinational conglomerates.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not taking Iger's comments anywhere. Iger specifically was asked about the technology associated with MyMagic+, even if Stephanie Ruhle called it by its most recognizable symbol, MagicBands:

The magic bands technology, the seamless pay that you rolled out in Orlando that was successful but also a big investment. Will we see that in Shanghai? Or has Apple Pay, mobile payments, kind of made that obsolete?​

Ruhle pointedly asked if "[t]he magic bands technology" would be used in Shanghai or whether advances elsewhere "kind of made that [technology] obsolete?"

Iger dodged the question and responded with:

What you'll see in Shanghai is a park that from a technological perspective is more advanced than anything we've ever built. That will show up in the attractions themselves but it will also show up in commerce or B to C or C to B transactions. So the consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today.​

There was no talk of MyMagic+ technology in Iger's response. Instead, Iger indicated that "from a technological perspective [Shanghai Disneyland] is more advanced than anything we've ever built" and that Guests will "use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today.”

Yet you take that to mean its obsolete because he didn't say "oh yes, it will have MBs" - so yes, that's where you are taking things were you want them to be, vs seeing it for what it is.. a non-commital answer from Iger. Probably because they don't want to get into the specifics of the offerings. Maybe they won't use MagicBands there... so what. The Magicbands are just one digital token in the much bigger picture. Even if the bands were to go away, that doesn't really say much about the much bigger initiative. The 'digital token' is here to stay - its just a matter of what form it will take and will it be 'bring your own' or a blend of Disney provided and BYOD.

Fixating on the band is missing the forrest for the trees. Her question was really more about the payment transaction options.. and Bob's answer could be taken several ways. But admitting NextGen or their personal token model is already obsolete? No, that wasn't in that answer.

Besides.. having Shanghi mixed into the normal TWDC system is more worrisome to me than any fears of NextGen wastes. I want China on their own platform.. not the one Disney is using for me in Florida.

MarkTwain

:eek::eek::eek:

Is this from the regional air pollution? Or from the toxic building material they're forced to work with?

This one speaks volumes to a troubled project. When Glendale types start demanding to go home, given how tenuous their employment is to begin with, you've effed up. Bad. :grumpy:

Yes and yes. Try potentially permanent lung damage and toxic material concerns. "Mess" doesn't begin to describe the fiasco that has been constructing Shanghai Disneyland.

As for Tokyo Disneyland... I won't pretend to know more than Spirit, but plans are certainly being scaled back. There have been problems with securing cheap construction labor in Tokyo in light of the upcoming Olympics there in 2020. Any remaining construction crews come at a heavy price, so major cuts will be/have been taking place to the work at Tokyo Disneyland (and even WDI staff).

Last edited:

Cesar R M

No, not really. Technology is constantly undergoing upgrades, not facing obsolescence. Mobile phones have existed for more than 40 years. Compact discs ruled the music industry for nearly 30 years. Video streaming is based on decades old technology. I saw my first HDTV back in the 1990s.

Microprocessors get faster and cheaper, enabling better consumer products at lower costs, but a CPU is still a CPU.

Iger didn't say Shanghai Disneyland would use an enhanced version of MagicBand, "MagicBand 2.0" if you will. When specifically asked about "MagicBand technology", Iger said "the consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today".

Iger is acknowledging that MagicBands have already been made obsolete by smart phone technology and enhanced software that everyone already has access to.
No surprise, I'm still wondering why they didnt do that from the start.
Apple, Google and many others already had payment systems with merely scanning a bar code.
Why wouldn't the Disney app generate a code and use visual (photo) confirmation systems instead of magnetic or RFID..
There are of course more ways!

Cesar R M

Agreed on both counts. I may have liked it slightly more than you did. But a great film it is not ...much like Avatar and Titanic. The box office only says people saw it and paid more than ever to do so. But my time right now here is brief, so I'll let others go back and forth about how good the film was and why they're naming their next kid Rey or Kylo. ;-)

One reviewer called it A New Hope 2.0 and that isn't all that much of a stretch. It was still entertaining, much like the Star Trek reboot, because J.J. is still a talented filmmaker. He knows many of the right buttons to push.

But I will also say that Angie and I both agreed that Guardians of the Galaxy was a lot more fun for pure popcorn film entertainment.
both Guardians of the Galaxy and AntMan felt fresher.. more fresh than TFA.

and Agree with you on the A new hope 2.0 with a dash of "the empire strikes back".
Thats how exactly I felt after leaving the movie theater.

Cesar R M

One doesn't have to go to China for that. When I was in Paris and Rome in October, I was doing the same thing. It's kind of mind blowing to see the black stuff coming out of one's head. Contrary to many beliefs, the US has made massive strides in cleaning the air compared to say 20 or 30 years ago. Still a ways to go, but, it almost seems like we are the only ones that care at all.
arent the biggest companies in the US lobbying to loose the EPA restrictions citing "weak economy"?

Id be wary if they have their way.

Cesar R M

I have to agree with you. Id say the hardest part was done already.
And It was migrating their ancient systems to up to date standards that have opportunity to grow and upgrade easily.
Just like older linux or unix variants couldnt upgrade certain parts, and you had to reinstall all the time.
or databases that couldn't be expanded or divided in chunks and have multiple concurrent servers handling the hits.

Cesar R M

Yet you take that to mean its obsolete because he didn't say "oh yes, it will have MBs" - so yes, that's where you are taking things were you want them to be, vs seeing it for what it is.. a non-commital answer from Iger. Probably because they don't want to get into the specifics of the offerings. Maybe they won't use MagicBands there... so what. The Magicbands are just one digital token in the much bigger picture. Even if the bands were to go away, that doesn't really say much about the much bigger initiative. The 'digital token' is here to stay - its just a matter of what form it will take and will it be 'bring your own' or a blend of Disney provided and BYOD.

Fixating on the band is missing the forrest for the trees. Her question was really more about the payment transaction options.. and Bob's answer could be taken several ways. But admitting NextGen or their personal token model is already obsolete? No, that wasn't in that answer.

Besides.. having Shanghi mixed into the normal TWDC system is more worrisome to me than any fears of NextGen wastes. I want China on their own platform.. not the one Disney is using for me in Florida.
Can you imagine if they tried to make the magicbands more "local" for the chinese crowd?
What kind of clothing or design would the Chinese use more? a ribbon style necklace? chest piece? plastic card? wrist watch?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom