A Spirited Perfect Ten

DDLand

During the Bloomberg interview, perhaps more interesting for WDW fans were CEO Bob Iger's comments regarding MagicBands:

Q: The magic bands technology, the seamless pay that you rolled out in Orlando that was successful but also a big investment. Will we see that in Shanghai? Or has Apple Pay, mobile payments, kind of made that obsolete?

Iger: What you'll see in Shanghai is a park that from a technological perspective is more advanced than anything we've ever built. That will show up in the attractions themselves but it will also show up in commerce or B to C or C to B transactions. So the consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today.

Unveiled in January 2013, Iger essentially is admitting that MagicBands already are obsolete.
Maybe the bands themselves are "obsolete," but the bands were never all that MyMagic+ was all about. The bands are just portals to the MyMagic+ platform. Making payments, entering parks, opening hotel rooms, fulfilling reservations, and identification were what needed to be improved.

Whether you're accessing MyMagic+ with a band, card, or smartphone you're using MyMagic+ technologies. Getting too caught up with the plastic band is missing the point. The innovation wasn't really in moving the payment card to the band. It was saying the entire experience needed to be intelligent, connected, and all in one. I think instead of proving Disney's lack of foresight, the fact that this is ready to be deployed in the mobile age proves its effectiveness. Building a platform that could be upgraded and accessed by smart devices before the smart devices were even available proves Disney was planning for the future.

I think nothing underscores the MyMagic+ platform's foresight better than ApplePay coming to WDW only months after launch. They could only do that because they had already placed the groundwork.

I think it's also worth pointing out that Shanghai will not launch with WDW or Disneyland Paris numbers of hotel rooms. Cards and Apps are cheaper than bands for people buying one day tickets.

MyMagic+ has had and still has problems. I just don't think that this makes or breaks anything. Shanghai, Anaheim, and Hong Kong are different. It should be interesting to see what they get out there.

ParentsOf4

Maybe the bands themselves are "obsolete," but the bands were never all that MyMagic+ was all about. The bands are just portals to the MyMagic+ platform. Making payments, entering parks, opening hotel rooms, fulfilling reservations, and identification were what needed to be improved.

Whether you're accessing MyMagic+ with a band, card, or smartphone you're using MyMagic+ technologies. Getting too caught up with the plastic band is missing the point. The innovation wasn't really in moving the payment card to the band. It was saying the entire experience needed to be intelligent, connected, and all in one. I think instead of proving Disney's lack of foresight, the fact that this is ready to be deployed in the mobile age proves its effectiveness. Building a platform that could be upgraded and accessed by smart devices before the smart devices were even available proves Disney was planning for the future.

I think nothing underscores the MyMagic+ platform's foresight better than ApplePay coming to WDW only months after launch. They could only do that because they had already placed the groundwork.

I think it's also worth pointing out that Shanghai will not launch with WDW or Disneyland Paris numbers of hotel rooms. Cards and Apps are cheaper than bands for people buying one day tickets.

MyMagic+ has had and still has problems. I just don't think that this makes or breaks anything. Shanghai, Anaheim, and Hong Kong are different. It should be interesting to see what they get out there.
You're looking at it today, with hindsight. This is not how Disney sold MyMagic+ to the public (and Wall Street) back in 2013.

When originally unveiled, MagicBands were the physical embodiment of MyMagic+ and, as described by Disney, one of MyMagic+'s three key components:
  • My Disney Experience - This includes the updated website and smart phone app.
  • FastPass+ - This was a new way for Guests to access the previously existing FASTPASS service.
  • MagicBand - This was the physical bracelet intended to replace traditional credit card-type ticket media. MagicBand was to be used as a room key, for theme park admission, to pay for food and merchandise, for PhotoPass+, and to redeem FP+ reservations.
Take away MagicBand and, from a Guest perspective, MyMagic+ becomes a software upgrade.

What's interesting to note is that no one in the industry, not even Disney, is rushing to replicate MyMagic+.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Disney had to change their payment terminals because of the liability shift* and NFC is in most new terminals. And this is an area where Disney's customization is a step backwards, with contactless payments at Walt Disney World being far more of a hassle than elsewhere.

*There is a part of me that wants a big breach at one of the large companies that still hasn't switched. Actually being responsible for that money might make people take notice of the new technology and the liability shift.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Star Wars at Disneyland really doesn't sit right for me either even if it was going into Toontowns spot. After having been there I can say from my own experience that it's a very strange fit out west even if it went to DCA. DHS is absolutely perfect for it though.

Also, welcome back and Happy Holidays!!!

Thanks and same to you, Mike.

No, it doesn't fit. And too many Star Wars rabid fans don't understand how this will fundamentally alter DL in a way nothing has for 60 years. I don't care whether you liked the new movie. I don't care whether you already are planning your years around the openings of future movies. None of that matters for the purpose of SW in DL in such a large way. But the boat has sailed and one large part of what made DL so, so special is about to be destroyed so that Bob Iger can put his mark on Walt's park like a dog on a carpet.

The Florida situation is completely different since that park has been slaughtered. SW in the swamps can only help.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Merry Christmas Spirit!!

I know you can't actually pin a date, nor would I begin to hold you to it... but what are the odds looking that this actually makes "Spring"? I'll be generous and say that extends to June 30th.

Basically need to prepare myself for disappointment that I won't be seeing it anywhere near opening if it slips past that.

I am not at all certain of the SDL opening date because I doubt even Bob Iger is right now.

I know that in the late October or early November timeframe he was given a range of dates from early May to last week in July.

May 7th/8th was the original choice. Then it was May 28th. Then early June. Now ... who the (blank) knows? I do know they won't have everything on the opening menu ready before next fall.

The plan right now is to open as much of the bigger stuff as is possible and then use Burbank-approved talking points about how no Disney park has ever opened with everything ready. Look for lots of talk about Walt's park in 1955 not being ready, but how it looked a year later. If evil, vile Old Man Disney did it in Anaheim then it should be fine for China, right? ... Of course, people with brains would point out that the park agreement was signed in 2009 and construction began two years later, and that Disney has opened 10 parks since Walt truly did something no one had done before. And this park isn't something so new and cutting edge, despite what Bob has led people to believe.

In other words, the park will open with multiple attractions not ready even if they open in late July ... and that is after getting American and Australian reinforcements to come in and do the work the Chinese were supposed to, all while the Chinese are still being paid. This is a HUGE mess, largely because The Weatherman had to one up Michael and get into the mainland (albeit without any significant media penetration, but who cares because a theme park is more important to the BRAND anyway, right?)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
7/10 and not worth a rewatch IMO. It'll be curious to see how it ages and whether it's better in hindsight after the next sequel. I think a lot of the enthusiasm is derived from 1.) First new SW live-action film in 10 years and 2.) "It's better than the prequels."

Agreed on both counts. I may have liked it slightly more than you did. But a great film it is not ...much like Avatar and Titanic. The box office only says people saw it and paid more than ever to do so. But my time right now here is brief, so I'll let others go back and forth about how good the film was and why they're naming their next kid Rey or Kylo. ;-)

Overall, it was too derivative for my taste. I'm amazed more critics didn't grade it down for that. It's pretty clear at this point that Abrams is nothing more than a mimic with a good eye. I was lukewarm to the new lead characters. The whole thing struck me as a slanted reboot more than a sequel (I saw someone use the term "requel" -- seems appropriate).

I'm guessing we get one more movie with Luke Skywalker before he's kaput. (What a total MacGuffin having him show up for one scene!) If they kill him off, the franchise will have a harder time coasting on nostalgia, but people still line up for new Marvel movies (I bailed after the fourth or fifth one) so it won't surprise me when SW continues to break records and make a fortune.

One reviewer called it A New Hope 2.0 and that isn't all that much of a stretch. It was still entertaining, much like the Star Trek reboot, because J.J. is still a talented filmmaker. He knows many of the right buttons to push.

But I will also say that Angie and I both agreed that Guardians of the Galaxy was a lot more fun for pure popcorn film entertainment.

Crazydisneyfanluke

No, it doesn't fit. And too many Star Wars rabid fans don't understand how this will fundamentally alter DL in a way nothing has for 60 years. I don't care whether you liked the new movie. I don't care whether you already are planning your years around the openings of future movies. None of that matters for the purpose of SW in DL in such a large way. But the boat has sailed and one large part of what made DL so, so special is about to be destroyed so that Bob Iger can put his mark on Walt's park like a dog on a carpet.

The Florida situation is completely different since that park has been slaughtered. SW in the swamps can only help.
I was hoping next year to visit DL as part as my birthday, but it looks like part of the reason for me going will be closed. SW does not belong in DL. It will ruin how DL looks and the feeling of Walt's park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Good to see you around these parts.... Happy Holidays!

We've got so much to discuss as a class. ESPN down, SDL's issues, TWDS betting the house on SW, constant up charges and maybe a drop in attendance this December and succession! Would SW success elevate KK to possible successor of Iger?

Plus the usual social media fun, fun, fun!

Edit: Plus not to mention how a family restaurant had a fistfight on Christmas in Disney Springs...

Same to you, Dave. I owe you a note and one will be forthcoming after the holidays are over with. But hope things are well!

I don't view things at ESPN as dire, but clearly Bob is spooked and he went and spooked Wall Street, which is never a good idea. SDL's issues are going to make one helluva a book, believe me.

I do get the idea, simply from friends as I have no evidence to back this up beyond anecdotal and such, that the WDW parks are not drawing their typical holiday crowds. With gas under $2 a gallon for most of the country for the first time since 2004, you have to wonder why that is. The BS 'We're going to be attacked by ISIS!!! RUN!!! HIDE!!! DUCK OUT ON YOUR CHECK AT BONGO'S!!!' certainly might be playing a factor. It has been many years since Disney offered discounts for extending stays at the holidays. I know I got offers once or twice this time of year back in the 90s.

The Kennedy question is really the best topic because you'd think that she would really be a great fit for the position. She even seems like a real human being unlike ''the oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' -- Mr. Tom Staggs. I wonder if her age would be an issue as I think she and Bob are close to the same age now. I can tell you this, I'd put her in that position before just about anyone that Disney now has under contract. But I have never heard anyone of import say she would be considered. Like ever.

As to the fight at DD the other night and the hysteria that broke out, I've been wondering for years when something like this would happen. Not the fight fights with CMs as they happen very regularly. But the insane panic that followed.

And to see it spread (albeit, I read about it later and sorta watched the Twitter) it tells you how dangerous social media can be. Lies and rumor spread at light speed now ... and nobody seems to care about getting it right.
We can laugh about it and make fun of bloggers who blew it up, but the fact is people could have been seriously injured or killed due to a panic when there was nothing to panic about.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They still deserve the call.
If they(Disney) keep losing money thanks to the chinese building with horrible standards. (This is a Disney Park, not your government sponsored housing complexes that are supposed to "fall down" in 3 years) the relationship will turn sour fast.

Makes me wonder.. did Disney even research about builders or subcontractors?
Did they just hire the cheapest guys just to save money?

They did not make the big decisions over there. Their partners did. The partners who actually own and control the 'majority' of the park/resort.

WDW1974

Original Poster
:eek::eek::eek:

Is this from the regional air pollution? Or from the toxic building material they're forced to work with?

This one speaks volumes to a troubled project. When Glendale types start demanding to go home, given how tenuous their employment is to begin with, you've effed up. Bad. :grumpy:

I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine. I lived over there for months at a time (not in Shanghai, in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong) and the air didn't bother me at all, which I admit is strange as I had workers of mine blowing black stuff from their noses on occasion.

That said, as bad as Shanghai's air is, have you seen Beijing's? You know, the place where the Comcast guys are planting their flag in China.

The rush is ridiculous. Neither company has to have theme parks there just yet. They are just now attempting strategies at dealing with the unhealthy air and it could be 15 years of this toxic stew.

Those vacations pics are going to look amazing!

the.dreamfinder

The Kennedy question is really the best topic because you'd think that she would really be a great fit for the position. She even seems like a real human being unlike ''the oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' -- Mr. Tom Staggs. I wonder if her age would be an issue as I think she and Bob are close to the same age now. I can tell you this, I'd put her in that position before just about anyone that Disney now has under contract. But I have never heard anyone of import say she would be considered. Like ever.
Kathleen is great and as much as I was meh on TFA, I'd rate it 6/10, I do have confidence in what she has done in the past three years leading up to this point. I know it's unlikely, but hopefully the success of TFA means the current DL plans can receive more careful scrutiny.
Nerdist had a great interview with KK covering her extensive filmography and the day to day of running Lucasfilm and producing TFA.
http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-kathleen-kennedy/

Nemo14

Spirit, is part of the reason for the delay in opening or even announcing an opening date a reflection of how they feel about this park being a Chinese park (No need or desire to accommodate Americans)?

Arthur Wellesley

And too many Star Wars rabid fans don't understand how this will fundamentally alter DL in a way nothing has for 60 years. I don't care whether you liked the new movie. I don't care whether you already are planning your years around the openings of future movies. None of that matters for the purpose of SW in DL in such a large way. But the boat has sailed and one large part of what made DL so, so special is about to be destroyed so that Bob Iger can put his mark on Walt's park like a dog on a carpet.

Rabid Star Wars fan? Guilty as charged.
Liked the new movie? Not as good as I had expected, but liked it nonetheless.
Planning my years around the openings of future movies? You bet!

But even I agree this is a blemish to the classic & nostalgic feel that is Disneyland park. Like peanut butter & ketchup...two great things individually which should never go together.

Anyhow, glad to have you back with us. Like Gandalf the White, we looked to your coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, we looked to the East...and alas, you returned. Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

Mike S

So glad I was able to see it when I did then. I just wish I took more pictures of the Rivers of America, rode the boats, and saw Fantasmic! (long story short, we only had one day at the park and I was outvoted to go on Pirates a second time instead of seeing the show).

asianway

Does he just spout off with this stuff now, lacking any realization of the words coming out of his mouth?

What happens when this turkey opens and the endless cycle of systemic failures begins?

Will he simply deny these pronouncements? No matter how many YouTube videos of the interview are shoved in his face?

Go ahead and own it, Bob. You deliberately stuck around for SDL's opening. Sort of like waiting for the enemy to shoot you on the battlefield instead of hightailing it into the safety of retreat.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:
Newsflash - the days of a Mike Wallace calling out a CEO in prime time are over

Goofyernmost

I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine. I lived over there for months at a time (not in Shanghai, in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong) and the air didn't bother me at all, which I admit is strange as I had workers of mine blowing black stuff from their noses on occasion.
One doesn't have to go to China for that. When I was in Paris and Rome in October, I was doing the same thing. It's kind of mind blowing to see the black stuff coming out of one's head. Contrary to many beliefs, the US has made massive strides in cleaning the air compared to say 20 or 30 years ago. Still a ways to go, but, it almost seems like we are the only ones that care at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, not really. Technology is constantly undergoing upgrades, not facing obsolescence. Mobile phones have existed for more than 40 years. Compact discs ruled the music industry for nearly 30 years. Video streaming is based on decades old technology. I saw my first HDTV back in the 1990s.

Microprocessors get faster and cheaper, enabling better consumer products at lower costs, but a CPU is still a CPU.

Iger didn't say Shanghai Disneyland would use an enhanced version of MagicBand, "MagicBand 2.0" if you will. When specifically asked about "MagicBand technology", Iger said "the consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective that we are today".

Iger is acknowledging that MagicBands have already been made obsolete by smart phone technology and enhanced software that everyone already has access to.

I think you are taking comments way too far where you want them to be. Nothing he said is making statements that the prior deployment is obsolete. For instance, a model he could be describing could have both bands AND NFC enabled devices... giving customers choice and additional features. Using mobile could be a way of taking the digital token they have today further.

By moving to a common, digital infrastructure and token model (as part of the NextGen overhaul of Disney's back-office), they have set themselves up for these rapid advances in tech.

Even if the reader tech was somehow antiquated - its going to be a lot easier swapping out components in an existing digital infrastructure than the start from scratch they did with NextGen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney had to change their payment terminals because of the liability shift* and NFC is in most new terminals. And this is an area where Disney's customization is a step backwards, with contactless payments at Walt Disney World being far more of a hassle than elsewhere.

I found the POS terminal one of the simplier things in the solution honestly. I was surprised they went with their own terminal design... but its pretty simple and works. Disney controlling the experience vs constantly wishing certain percentages of their customers are on xyz platform with abc software is a far better solution. No one gives a crap they can't use apple pay instead of their MB.

flynnibus

Premium Member
One reviewer called it A New Hope 2.0 and that isn't all that much of a stretch. It was still entertaining, much like the Star Trek reboot, because J.J. is still a talented filmmaker. He knows many of the right buttons to push.

But I will also say that Angie and I both agreed that Guardians of the Galaxy was a lot more fun for pure popcorn film entertainment.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-force-awakens-spoiler-thread.908137/

Where you want to be for that conversation around TFA and all the 'borrowing' it does... I too already said both Avengers and Guardians were better overall films.

AEfx

Spirit, is part of the reason for the delay in opening or even announcing an opening date a reflection of how they feel about this park being a Chinese park (No need or desire to accommodate Americans)?

With all due respect, why would they have any desire to accommodate Americans? Only the most die-hard lifestylers of the lifestylers are waiting on pins and needles to find out when they can be the first in the park, a park that they already seem to loath and have major moral issues with yet are eagerly waiting to give their $ to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom