A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

BTW, Star Wars update - TFA did end up breaking all of Jurassic World's records (including overall weekend, even though JW had China and TFA doesn't until January) - except for one relatively obscure one ("pure Friday" showings that didn't include Thursday, but that's not really tracked just an academic note).

The fact it beat the weekend without China, which made up a significant part of JW's international revenue, is pretty astounding.

Articles are finally showing up in industry publications saying that the math is there for TFA to realistically be the first $3B movie, to replace Avatar as the #1 film of all time. It was highly speculative before, but with the evidence now (and the fact that the second week drop off isn't likely to drop off that much because of the amount of people waiting out the week so as not to battle crowds, as well as Christmas being on a weekday), that even using traditional box office "the film will make X-times what it made opening weekend in total" it seems very much in the realm of possibility and increasingly gaining in probability.

In the interest of peace and goodwill, I think we should offer our skeptical friends over the past year or so who have said that the true second coming of Star Wars wasn't going to be all it was cracked up to be their choice of condiments to use to mask the taste of the crow when they eat it. ;)

TalkingHead

I think once the excitement dies down a bit, people will be less likely to compare TFA favorably with Jedi. But both movies are mixed bags that work largely on the strengths of the movies that came before them. So I can't mount a very strong argument for Jedi over TFA beyond personal preference.

One big difference for me is that Jedi's dramatic moments feel earned from the previous two films; TFA's dramatic moment (singular) feels rushed, gimmicky, and necessitated by factors outside the film rather than by the story. (I see @the.dreamfinder mentioned this up-thread.)

Also thought the John Williams TFA score, while serviceable, relied on the Skywalker/Force theme/cue a few too many times. Too much of being guided by nostalgia.

And the film has all the hallmarks of a J.J. Abrams production, for better or for worse.

Last edited:

MugsyToccata

These days? Its College Program -> Advanced Internship -> Professional Internship -> Basic Management. (Networking all the way, of course) That is the (main) career path.

Secondary? Bachelors -> MBA -> Accounting at WDW

Working your way up from Front Line? Very, very difficult these days. This is a very insular, nepotistic company that is all about who you know, rather than what you can do.

I've worked at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and see your point while also respectfully disagreeing with how it could be interpreted. Like any corporation, most people don't advance from front-line above either that or basic management. There's just a raw numbers game at play. There's a bottleneck going up, so a vast minority are able to climb the ladder. There unfortunately just isn't room for everyone. And there really isn't any time in Disney's history (TWDC, Parks & Resorts, Disney Brothers Cartoon Studios, however you want to slice it) where there wasn't some, or even heavy nepotism/favoritism. Being 'in favor' with the higher ups always leads to promotion and individual success. At every company. That's not the variable. Even The real question is the judgement of the higher ups. If they're smart and understand the business, they're seen as having good eyes for talent. If not, they're MBA's who only promote brown nosers. That's the variable that creates the revisionist history we enjoy discussing on message boards.

There are absolutely executives on both coasts who started in hourly roles and currently lead entire parks or resorts. And there are multiple levels of leaders beneath them with similar stories primed and ready to succeed them when the time comes. Anyone saying that executives with hourly front-line pedigree are a dying breed is incorrect. Are the ratios across the company of internal 'born and bred' execs vs externally trained the same as the 70's? Nope. There are more executives with outside experience and higher education in a lot of the 'transferable knowledge' fields. Finance, industrial engineering, human resources, etc.

So I'd agree-the path of having a technical skill with academic bona fides and top external experience is likely faster and gives one expedited access to a more competitive wage. And that is what I'd wish for anyone wanting to balance being involved with Disney with having the personal life they'll also enjoy. But if anyone with the passion and skill wanted to start at 20 years old and work their way up to executive, it's an option and as true a meritocracy as there is in major American corporations. Sure you have to network and manage up, but...every Disney Legend who knew Walt has stories about how they learned to manage up to him with savvy and care...but the key is that they were great at their job, AND could manage up well. They're not mutually exclusive skills. And their boss had an eye for talent.

rael ramone

One big difference for me is that Jedi's dramatic moments feel earned from the previous two films; TFA's dramatic moment (singular) feels rushed, gimmicky, and necessitated by factors outside the film rather than by the story. (I see @the.dreamfinder mentioned this up-thread.)

Also thought the John Williams TFA score, while serviceable, relied on the Skywalker/Force theme/cue a few too many times. Too much of being guided by nostalgia.

And the film has all the hallmarks of a J.J. Abrams production, for better or for worse.

The film had executive fingerprints on it (like most films that Hollywood makes these days). Deliver the story beats that the corner office believes the fans want to see - don't trust the filmmakers to make or the filmgoers to watch a film that's too original.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Congrats. Looks like your tactic worked. The opening weekend really suffered by your absents. . .
FWIW, we have not seen it yet either but not for the reasons you mention.
BTW, Star Wars update - TFA did end up breaking all of Jurassic World's records (including overall weekend, even though JW had China and TFA doesn't until January) - except for one relatively obscure one ("pure Friday" showings that didn't include Thursday, but that's not really tracked just an academic note).

The fact it beat the weekend without China, which made up a significant part of JW's international revenue, is pretty astounding.

Articles are finally showing up in industry publications saying that the math is there for TFA to realistically be the first $3B movie, to replace Avatar as the #1 film of all time. It was highly speculative before, but with the evidence now (and the fact that the second week drop off isn't likely to drop off that much because of the amount of people waiting out the week so as not to battle crowds, as well as Christmas being on a weekday), that even using traditional box office "the film will make X-times what it made opening weekend in total" it seems very much in the realm of possibility and increasingly gaining in probability.

In the interest of peace and goodwill, I think we should offer our skeptical friends over the past year or so who have said that the true second coming of Star Wars wasn't going to be all it was cracked up to be their choice of condiments to use to mask the taste of the crow when they eat it. ;)

If this movie did not have 'Star Wars' in the title would you go see it?, Word of mouth seems to be that it's an OK movie but not one which one would watch TWICE. I think the huge initial boxoffice was driven by the star wars drought.

I suppose I'll go see it sometime but DW who saw it on opening day with her BFF said 'It's OK, No need to see twice'. DW is the Star Wars fangurl in the family, I lean more towards Star Trek and B5, I did like the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies as they were fun re-imaginings of SW:TOS.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK word of mouth? Rotton Tomatoes is over a 90% that is by far the best word of mouth of any big budget movie of the year.

Most of the Big Budget movies this year with the exception of JW were stinkers with no re-watchability in my opinion, Ultron being the leading example I have NO desire to see Ultron again But 'The Avengers' is a fun movie which I watch every few months.

JediMasterMatt

I've been wondering...... One of the things I loved about Star Wars was all the practical effects. It made it so much more believable. Wasn't the push for that from JJ Abrams? What'll happen with the other movies he's not directing? I liked Jurassic World a lot but it did overdo it on the CG a bit and with the same guy directing Episode 9........ Well, you can see where I'm going with this.

I was under the impression that JJ was overseeing the entire trilogy - as an exec producer or whatever I'm sure he'll be exerting influence over the other directors.

Each director is given room to play in; but, the use of practical sets and physical models will always be left up to the using the best tool for the job. A good example where the right tool being used differently between the prequels and sequels comes down to the Stormtrooper armor. George didn't want to have countless sets of armor being made for his clones in the prequels (so, he basically made none - there were a couple sets for lighting purposes and 3D scanning; but, that's it). JJ wanted real armor. Fortunately, technology caught up with the supply and demand in the last decade. So instead of a bunch of hand crafted sets... they used 3D printing for making armor in quantity.

JJ will stay on board with the "story" team along with Kasdan; but, their heavy lifting work is done. The trilogy is already mapped out and Rian has VIII's script completed. They will be used to bounce ideas off of; but, Rian's carrying the bulk of the load from here on out. He's going to write the first draft of IX. Colin will begin work with 2/3 of the trilogy done; but, will have himself painted into a nice little corner to finish things up.

A lot of the reliance of CG in the prequels was because of George's procrastination. He hated writing and locking anything in. As a result, they never really had the opportunity to build massive sets (even if he wanted to do it) because he was always changing things even after production had started and even after it had finished. Which is part of what he wanted to create in non-linear filmmaking production before the prequels began.

Frankie The Beer

If you are able to divulge the methodology behind your advice I would love to read it. If you cannot, I understand.

Apple will not meet analyst expectations. If the stock dips below $105, you could see a massive sell off, predicted by several brokers. Apple has been a great stock but since the split its performance has been lackluster based on past success which of course is what people expect and its just not there right now. People started to sell DIS but I held on because of TFA and in the long run, I feel its a good investment, Apple I'm not so high on so I would sell. I don't know if I would trust the stock to hold value if it goes below $105. And of course, I could be wrong. I don't think so, but its the stock market.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Apple will not meet analyst expectations. If the stock dips below $105, you could see a massive sell off, predicted by several brokers. Apple has been a great stock but since the split its performance has been lackluster based on past success which of course is what people expect and its just not there right now. People started to sell DIS but I held on because of TFA and in the long run, I feel its a good investment, Apple I'm not so high on so I would sell. I don't know if I would trust the stock to hold value if it goes below $105. And of course, I could be wrong. I don't think so, but its the stock market.
You do understand that the -ysts are manipulating the stock for their own personal gain, right?? All it has to do is move a few points, and they can make millions on the deal. That is ALL it is, and should be investigated by the SEC. They have NO basis for knowing anything except what they pull out of their butts.

Cesar R M

You do understand that the ****-ysts are manipulating the stock for their own personal gain, right?? All it has to do is move a few points, and they can make millions on the deal. That is ALL it is, and should be investigated by the SEC. They have NO basis for knowing anything except what they pull out of their butts.
speaking of manipulating.

Reminds me when several banks of the UK were caught manipulating currency value for personal gain, undervaluing the Euro and other currencies vs the USD and UK pound.
Now they said Germany has a few banks that did similar and also moneylaundered for Russia.

seascape

It is going to be hard but there better than a 50% chance that SW TFA will pass Jurassic World and be the number 1 domestic box office winner. There is no doubt it will pass JW eventually but if this movie can do in 2 weeks what JW took 7 months to do is amazing. It also looks like it will break 2 billion and possibly the record and end at just under 3 billion. Not a bad purchase by Disney.

Now lets announce phase 3 and 4 of Hollywood Studios and make phase 4 an addition to Star Wars land. If they do, it is possible there could be a new king of theme parks and that would be the park yet to be renamed passing the Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom