A Spirited Perfect Ten

Smiddimizer

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the level of detail in the new movie easily tops the level of detail in the original. If I am comparing the look and feel of the worlds in the original trilogy, the prequels and The Force Awakens, I'll say the original still feels the most real and lived in while the prequels feel the most fabricated. I didn't have a problem with the look of The Force Awakens. But I definitely didn't feel it was superior to the old movies.

I did have fun with the new SW. Was it non-cynical? Again, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I sometimes felt like the movie was more interested in setting up characters and concepts for countless spin-off movies than telling an actual story. The plot is pretty threadbare and mostly cribbed from the original series.

The two things that I have to give SW 7 props for are that the new characters were mostly very engaging (any one of them has more personality than any character in the prequels) and that the return of old characters and elements was nicely handled.

This is going to be one of those times when fans are going to over-praise the movie while it is fresh in their minds and as time goes on and their enthusiasm fades, they will reevaluate it to a more reasonable ranking.

I wouldn't fight with anyone over that. I personally preferred Jedi but that is largely due to the built-in advantage it has as the final chapter of a great trilogy. I will give Jedi credit for being much tighter than Episode VII which occasionally feels bloated. But Jedi is flawed enough and TFA is strong enough that I can see where someone might prefer the newer movie. I won't say you're high for feeling that way. ;)

All in all I'd agree that it's the third best Star Wars movie ever made, which I basically expected going into it. But that's for the novelty of the original, which was a blast of fresh air in terms of its sheer premise and cultural impact. I would absolutely argue that the environments of TFA looked more real and lived in than any Star Wars film I've seen before it; it has more visual richness-- a greater abundance of strange and interesting aliens in the nooks and crannies of every scene, and more convincing action sequences. Both of these features build on what came before, however. So you're absolutely right in saying that you can't in any good frame of mind claim The Force Awakens is a better film than the originals because of this, I mean they started forty years ago. But you also can't deny that it builds on these aspects and does what they did, better.

Everyone has a different definition of "good" so maybe I took your rating as more damning than it actually was. I just think it's too good to dismiss easily. It's just a better-made movie than most blockbusters; not to be one of those people, but they come across as thinking the invention of CGI means they can do anything they imagine. That's essentially what I meant when I said it wasn't cynical: it seems to get that there's a line when physical staging--like a real explosion or a vehicle--is more appropriate than animation.

I think it's these distinctions that make SW7 and Mad Max two of my favorite movies this year. It sounds technical and therefore trivial, but it is significant. Obviously story comes first, and I enjoyed TFA throughout despite its structural similarity to A New Hope. In fact I almost overlooked it because I was having so much damn fun, and the characters were so original. I think it deserves all the praise it's getting.

Lee

Adventurer
While I may not know or necessarily share Lee's motivations, I do not know him personally aside from maybe 2 or 3 PM's over the past dozen years or so, but just knowing what I know of him from his posts and otherwise, I don't think envy or even animosity is at the core of why he may have shared, beyond exposing the daft decision making behind Disney's Social Media brigade.
(Taking time out from my vacation to quote this one post.)
Yes. Exactly.

MerlinTheGoat

Just rewatched A New Hope since it's been a while since I saw it, for pleasure and for perspective sake. Force Awakens still being fresh on my mind, I stand by my previous opinion on the new film, and rewatching the original didn't sour my opinion at all. Still a very good movie that was tons of fun and well worth seeing, most classic trilogy fans should like it a lot. I certainly did. I look forward to the upcoming sequels, Star Wars may have a bright future ahead.

I intend to rewatch the other movies soon as well. Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite by far.

Last edited:

rael ramone

Not looking for spoilers, but for those who have seen JJ's Star Wars and Star Trek(s), is Star Wars better? Because I've been lukewarm on the Trek movies and am wondering if Star Wars is noticeably better than those.

As someone who found JJ's trek an absolute desecration that got casting, script, story, tone, character portrayal, character balance (basically anything and everything except the bridge - that looked cool) horribly, horribly, wrong - rest assured that the flawed film in theatres is in fact a good film - while introducing new flaws to the franchise corrects others...

lebeau

All in all I'd agree that it's the third best Star Wars movie ever made, which I basically expected going into it. But that's for the novelty of the original, which was a blast of fresh air in terms of its sheer premise and cultural impact. I would absolutely argue that the environments of TFA looked more real and lived in than any Star Wars film I've seen before it; it has more visual richness-- a greater abundance of strange and interesting aliens in the nooks and crannies of every scene, and more convincing action sequences. Both of these features build on what came before, however. So you're absolutely right in saying that you can't in any good frame of mind claim The Force Awakens is a better film than the originals because of this, I mean they started forty years ago. But you also can't deny that it builds on these aspects and does what they did, better.

Everyone has a different definition of "good" so maybe I took your rating as more damning than it actually was. I just think it's too good to dismiss easily. It's just a better-made movie than most blockbusters; not to be one of those people, but they come across as thinking the invention of CGI means they can do anything they imagine. That's essentially what I meant when I said it wasn't cynical: it seems to get that there's a line when physical staging--like a real explosion or a vehicle--is more appropriate than animation.

I think it's these distinctions that make SW7 and Mad Max two of my favorite movies this year. It sounds technical and therefore trivial, but it is significant. Obviously story comes first, and I enjoyed TFA throughout despite its structural similarity to A New Hope. In fact I almost overlooked it because I was having so much damn fun, and the characters were so original. I think it deserves all the praise it's getting.

In terms of the look of the movie, if I am comparing it to what Lucas did in the prequels, The Force Awakens looks great. I can agree with you that it is a good-looking movie. But I won't say it improved upon the look of the originals. It took that aesthetic and applied modern technologies. The thing is, some of those aliens still looked really fake. Which can also be said of some of the practical effects in the original trilogy. But I have a personal preference for old school effects over CGI except in cases where CGI is absolutely necessary. For example, the Hulk as a practical effect is Lou Ferrigno painted green. You have to go CGI there. I thought Miller did a much better job integrating stunt work, practical effects and CGI in Mad Max: Fury Road (easily the best action movie of the year). But Abrams is to be commended for the look of TFA as well. I don't want to give the idea that I am critical of the way the movie looked. Just that I'm not giving it clear superiority over the look of the originals. I think that's going to be a matter of personal preference. I imagine a lot of younger viewers will prefer the more modern feel of Abrams' Star Wars. But I still think the old movies feel more real.

I don't want to dismiss Episode VII. It's a crowd pleaser. But people are caught up in the hype and the excitement of seeing it in a packed house on opening night. When they see this movie play out on cable in their living rooms a couple times, they are going to reassess it. It's better than Abrams' 2009 Star Trek reboot by a touch. I attribute that to a weird mix of familiar elements like Han and Chewie and the introduction of some winning new characters. Also, it's clear the director has a greater affinity for this world than he did for Star Trek,

Completely agree that the original trilogy has a built in benefit of being, well, original. Almost everything that happens in TFA is in some way derivative of something that happened in the first three movies. That's hard to avoid without taking some big chances. For better or worse, Abrams and company played it safe. So you get a movie that delivers familiar elements from the series in a slightly new way. I don't mind that, but to my mind that automatically discounts the new movie compared to the movies where that formula originated.

If I am ranking the movies (which I will do later at my blog) I'm putting TFA between the two trilogies. But as I said before, if someone wanted to give it the nod over Jedi I wouldn't complain too much. I think once the excitement dies down a bit, people will be less likely to compare TFA favorably with Jedi. But both movies are mixed bags that work largely on the strengths of the movies that came before them. So I can't mount a very strong argument for Jedi over TFA beyond personal preference.

Since I have been a bit of a wet blanket, I will say that my oldest daughter and I had fun watching Episode VII. She proclaimed it the best movie she ever saw. As a lifelong SW fan, it meant a lot to me to get to share something I loved with her. Star Wars is indeed back. In my humble opinion, it's been better. But it's still good to have it back. Lord knows it's been a lot worse.

lebeau

I'm so frustrated with this trip I doubt I'll ever pay to stay on property again. This is beyond ugly and way worse than it used to be. This is not a wdw experience like they used to be

We have slowly come to that conclusion as well. It is the reason that this year's vacation was a cruise and Universal over WDW. My wife has said she would go back to Uni any time, but she never wants to go back to WDW again.

rael ramone

I'd say the film had 2 1/2 problems....

The half depends on how things get explained in the upcoming films - the problem could go away, or it may not.

I won't get into what any of the problems are (due to spoilers) but I'd say one of them (probably the biggest flaw of the film) isn't something that I can point a finger and say 'That's JJ's fault', or 'Thats Kathleen Kennedys fault' or 'Thats Kasdans fault' or 'that's Alan Horns fault' or 'that's the Weathermans fault'.

The problem I saw was a problem that I'd blame on the filmmaking community as a collective - especially at the executive level of the industry.

It has to due with the kinds of films that are willing to greenlight and spend money on. And their lack of faith in the moviegoing public to see story ideas (even within franchises) that fit outside that narrow band of focus - a problem that for the most part the prequels did not have. Can't get into the above without the use of spoilers.

Nubs70

I'd say the film had 2 1/2 problems....

The half depends on how things get explained in the upcoming films - the problem could go away, or it may not.

I won't get into what any of the problems are (due to spoilers) but I'd say one of them (probably the biggest flaw of the film) isn't something that I can point a finger and say 'That's JJ's fault', or 'Thats Kathleen Kennedys fault' or 'Thats Kasdans fault' or 'that's Alan Horns fault' or 'that's the Weathermans fault'.

The problem I saw was a problem that I'd blame on the filmmaking community as a collective - especially at the executive level of the industry.

It has to due with the kinds of films that are willing to greenlight and spend money on. And their lack of faith in the moviegoing public to see story ideas (even within franchises) that fit outside that narrow band of focus - a problem that for the most part the prequels did not have. Can't get into the above without the use of spoilers.
I like the film. But I found the sound to be very flat. It sounded and felt like 3.2 surround. I was expecting something like 32.8 mindwarping surround. Maybe it was the theater.

Progress.City

There are many lines in the movie that are very obviously written by Lawrence Kasdan. They did right by bringing him in.

Sorry about
I like the film. But I found the sound to be very flat. It sounded and felt like 3.2 surround. I was expecting something like 32.8 mindwarping surround. Maybe it was the theater.
it wa the theater. I saw it first at a theater with Dolby Atmos and again with one that didn't and the experience was very different.

tokengator

after seeing the movie I have it easily a top 3 star wars movie, and personally I have it at least tied with empire but behind A New Hope -- this is in spite of it being spoiled for me. I think it does some things better than A New Hope, in fact it might even do A New Hope better than A New Hope does -- but I cannot justify putting it ahead the movie that broke the ground and how different/ground breaking it was at the time.

And outside of the series I have TFA as one of the best movies of 2015 (for me)..I will have to wait until I see Hateful 8 and The Revenant to have a definitive answer on this. Bridge of spies, Sicario, Ex Machina, Mad Max, '71, Creed, Straight outta compton, spotlight, the martian, mission impossible -- I liked all the 2015 movies i just listed, in no particular order, but I have TFA ahead of them.

I should note that I do think it is very likely I will end up having hateful 8 and the revenant as my 1-2 for 2015

Last edited:

tokengator

oh and there is some MAJOR a-hles out there. I was just perusing twitter and i come across people just blabbering out spoilers -- intentionally -- for chits and giggles. They would reply to a news feed about some world event or whatever with a spoiler; so even if you were trying to stay away from any Star Wars talk you would be unsuspectingly smacked with a spoiler where you should not expect to see a star wars comment.

In my case I was looking at a tweet from Wall Street Journal, a financial news tidbit, and I look at the comments and there was a darn star wars spoiler blasted by someone. unbelievable.

What the F is wrong with people?

BlueSkyDriveBy

If you really would like me to, I'm happy to tell you why I feel the way I do about Hill. When I first discovered Disney online fandom, his site was in it's prime. At the time (we are talking more than a dozen years ago now, around the time I began posting here), it seemed like this magical repository of information (and at first, even the fakey-hokey style was cute). But then...when you got down to the meat, you realized that he never finished anything. He'd start a series of articles about, say, the Muppets, or Star Tours, or any number of things - and tease thing after thing - but never finished them. Never shy about asking for donations, he then amped it up when he started begging for money to buy a new laptop, because - surely he could finish them if he just had a shiny new computer. Yeah, right. That was like 10, 11 years ago, and those unfinished articles never got touched.
Sort of like one of Hill's friends and contemporaries, Paul F. Anderson. His Persistence of Vision magazine was incredible. However, many of us ponied up bucks for issues that were never published and/or delivered. And similar to the situation with Hill, no apology or refund, let alone an explanation, was ever offered.

I have no doubt that a lot of that early stuff did come from someone who was somewhat of an insider, but like we've watched over the past decade and a half or so - his sources tend to dry up very, very quickly - because he is so opportunistic he cannot maintain the relationships, apparently.
Actually, this has more to do with the dissolving of the good ol' boys club in Glendale than anything else. Most of his sources have either passed away (especially his primary source) or retired. WDI is nothing like its former glory days when well-established Imagineers became Disney celebrities, thanks to fan boy conventions and events. And when dealing with folks like Hill, many of those celebrity Imagineers leaked more than a rusty colander.

In addition to all of the above, I think you'll find the reason that many long term posters here do not care for Hill is because at different points when any real contacts dried up, he was taking his "news articles" straight from postings here, without credit. It was comical until it was annoying and ridiculous.
Ditto for other Disney fan sites and the sentiments of long term posters. Hill has been an equal opportunity antagonist for several years.

That said, I don't think anyone is jealous of him - he's not famous, he's infamous. No one here aspires to be a fraud, or as we can now definitively say, a criminal. As I stated from my first post responding to this new info, I'll repeat it again in what will be my last (unless some new info gets shared) - all this did for me was confirm what I already knew about him based on past observance. He is the ultimate example of a disgruntled lifestyler who has the integrity of a wet tissue on a teenage boys nightstand. He goes where ever he thinks he can make a quick buck or whatever will be advantageous to him at the moment - kiss Disney behind, or try to tear them a new one - just depends on which one he thinks will do himself better that day.
Which still makes me wonder what quid pro quo was in effect for him to score that solitary endorsement on the Disney Shorts DVD cover. What did Hill promise to do for Disney in return for that honor? Must have been something substantial, given Hill ain't exactly Leonard Maltin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom