A Spirited Perfect Ten

HauntedMansionFLA

The latest (cribbed from Variety - note if you view the article later, they may update it with more current info, this is how it stands now):

* Disney (who has been playing conservative end) boosted its Friday estimate from "at least $100 million" in the early afternoon to "$120 million" by the late afternoon — smashing the opening day record of $91 million for 2011’s “Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows: Part 2.”

* “The Force Awakens” started its U.S. box office run in record-setting fashion with $57 million in Thursday night previews — 31% above the $43.5 million in previews for the final Harry Potter film. The $57 million is part of the Friday total.

* The film is playing at a total of 4,134 North American locations on Friday — a record for a December opening.

* Disney also reported Friday that “The Force Awakens” had grossed $72.7 million in two days from 44 international markets with the U.K., Germany, Sweden and Norway generating single-day records. The film, which carries a production cost of at least $200 million, opened in most other markets Friday.

* That means “The Force Awakens” could also eclipse the international opening weekend record of $316.1 million by “Jurassic World” — along with the dino movie’s worldwide opening record of $524.9 million.

Overall, Disney has upped it's 200M weekend prediction to 215M, which other "rival studios" estimates still are calling a lowball.

My commentary - Star Wars is back, kiddos. Feel free to get a bit cocky. ;)
Regarding DHS SWL - double the budget, expand the acreage into the phase 3 area. Go all in and give the franchise it's due. You have the older generation fans (I'm one of them) combined with the new generation. I know lots of people who have never seen Star Wars, went to the movie last night/today and loved it. Can't wait till episode 8 comes out. The attendance to the park combined with the dining and retail opportunities would be like printing money $.

lebeau

Not looking for spoilers, but for those who have seen JJ's Star Wars and Star Trek(s), is Star Wars better? Because I've been lukewarm on the Trek movies and am wondering if Star Wars is noticeably better than those.

JJ's sensibilities fit SW better than they fit ST. I would say TFA is marginally better than ST 2009 largely due to Ford's performance.

Smiddimizer

The Force Awakens is good, but not great. Better than the prequels but far short of the original trilogy. A fun two hours at the movies that will be forgotten shortly afterwards.

Those saying it is the best SW movie ever are high on something. Not sure what, but it must be strong stuff.

Huh. I thought it was really something great. A great return to old school, non-cynical film-making. With clever twists and, yes, poignant relevance towards modern evil.

And the best *looking* film I've seen....maybe ever. Having just watched the OT again the level of detail EASILY tops them, by a mile. And the acting is better too...I don't know. Despite a slightly derivative plot I'd say the force is pretty strong with this one.

Quinnmac000

out of curiosity -- most of the people giving negative reviews on this site also the same people that predicted (or hoped in some cases) this movie wouldn't be good?

is there a bit of "I don't want to eat crow" going on with some of these negative reviews?

Or maybe the people who didn't praise it to high heavens aren't fanboys who aren't blinded by nostalgia. it was a good movie not great and its easy for a fan to forgive weak parts of the film rather than non fans.

HauntedMansionFLA

out of curiosity -- most of the people giving negative reviews on this site also the same people that predicted (or hoped in some cases) this movie wouldn't be good?

is there a bit of "I don't want to eat crow" going on with some of these negative reviews?
Probably the same ones that kept saying there wouldn't be any announcements regarding SWL at this years D23.

tokengator

Or maybe the people who didn't praise it to high heavens aren't fanboys who aren't blinded by nostalgia. it was a good movie not great and its easy for a fan to forgive weak parts of the film rather than non fans.

that could be as well. I asked a question to people that have been on this board longer than I have, which is almost everyone. The posting history of every poster speaks for itself, so I was curious if these people not enjoying it were maintaining their pre-release position or if they were being honest. I am not assuming anything about anyone, I am trying to establish context and perspective for myself (and anyone else with the same questions)

truecoat

that could be as well. I asked a question to people that have been on this board longer than I have, which is almost everyone. The posting history of every poster speaks for itself, so I was curious if these people not enjoying it were maintaining their pre-release position or if they were being honest. I am not assuming anything about anyone, I am trying to establish context and perspective for myself (and anyone else with the same questions)

I was really looking forward to this movie. Kept away from all the spoilers but thought the movie was a mixed bag. I am waiting to go see it again to see if certain parts play better on the second viewing. Adam Driver was outstanding in my opinion along with Daisy.

lebeau

Huh. I thought it was really something great. A great return to old school, non-cynical film-making. With clever twists and, yes, poignant relevance towards modern evil.

And the best *looking* film I've seen....maybe ever. Having just watched the OT again the level of detail EASILY tops them, by a mile. And the acting is better too...I don't know. Despite a slightly derivative plot I'd say the force is pretty strong with this one.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the level of detail in the new movie easily tops the level of detail in the original. If I am comparing the look and feel of the worlds in the original trilogy, the prequels and The Force Awakens, I'll say the original still feels the most real and lived in while the prequels feel the most fabricated. I didn't have a problem with the look of The Force Awakens. But I definitely didn't feel it was superior to the old movies.

I did have fun with the new SW. Was it non-cynical? Again, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I sometimes felt like the movie was more interested in setting up characters and concepts for countless spin-off movies than telling an actual story. The plot is pretty threadbare and mostly cribbed from the original series.

The two things that I have to give SW 7 props for are that the new characters were mostly very engaging (any one of them has more personality than any character in the prequels) and that the return of old characters and elements was nicely handled.

This is going to be one of those times when fans are going to over-praise the movie while it is fresh in their minds and as time goes on and their enthusiasm fades, they will reevaluate it to a more reasonable ranking.

I thought it was better than Return of the Jedi, as much as I enjoy that one.

I wouldn't fight with anyone over that. I personally preferred Jedi but that is largely due to the built-in advantage it has as the final chapter of a great trilogy. I will give Jedi credit for being much tighter than Episode VII which occasionally feels bloated. But Jedi is flawed enough and TFA is strong enough that I can see where someone might prefer the newer movie. I won't say you're high for feeling that way. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney Transportation needs fundamental, cultural change l. They need to get back to a guest service focus, given that we are forced to schedule the heck out of our trips.

It takes entirely too long to get from point A to point B.

I'm so frustrated with this trip I doubt I'll ever pay to stay on property again. This is beyond ugly and way worse than it used to be. This is not a wdw experience like they used to be

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The legal issues surrounding the 501st have long been settled. Like how Disney can't undo the old Marvel deals, they wouldn't be able to undo the 501st deal. Not to mention, the massive backlash Disney would face as the 501st is largely a charitable organization, and the fact that Disney has had a relationship with them long before they ever bought Lucasfilm - who do you think all those Troopers at SWW have been all these years?

In any case, the last bit is why Disney loves them - they have access to instant Stormtrooper squads who come with their own uniforms and generally work for free - it's an even better deal for them than the CP.

Not quite with Marvel you have a deep pocketed legal team in opposition, with the 501'st you have hardcore fans why not try to squeeze them for a 'licensing fee' it's the Disney way.

the.dreamfinder

Regarding DHS SWL - double the budget, expand the acreage into the phase 3 area. Go all in and give the franchise it's due. You have the older generation fans (I'm one of them) combined with the new generation. I know lots of people who have never seen Star Wars, went to the movie last night/today and loved it. Can't wait till episode 8 comes out. The attendance to the park combined with the dining and retail opportunities would be like printing money $.
Hell, for Disneyland, move Star Wars to a third gate. Why cramp a GALAXY into a corner when you can create many planets/lands to explore. Star Wars, especially in the parks, should feel like an undiscovered galaxy of endless possibility.

PhotoDave219

Probably the same ones that kept saying there wouldn't be any announcements regarding SWL at this years D23.

No, SWL's announcement at D23 was an absolute last minute thing that was thrown together, from what my Bothans told me anyways. Partially due to try and shore up the stock price, due to the ESPN numbers dropping because of the conference call right before that.

Also I highly recommend TFA as I've seen it twice now.

PhotoDave219

I think you are being too analytical, LOL. This isn't nearly as much of a JJ Abrhams movie as, say, Avengers films are Whedon films - aside from the fact that it starts a female protagonist.

I'd say get your butt to the theater this weekend, because there is no way unless you don't speak to anyone, watch any TV, and completely click off the Internet - to avoid spoilers. And there are several BIG ones.

It's Star Wars - this is a once in a generation thing - seeing it with a crowd was half the fun (and I say that as someone who HATES crowds) - it honestly was the most incredible communal experience I've had in a theater in my life. The claps when favorites return, the tears when people depart, the laughs with the callbacks to the OT - again, I never say these things, 99.9% of the time I say "Eh, I'll wait for Blu-ray - my sound system is better than the theater anyway" - but on this one? Get yer buns to the theater, or you'll regret it later (either by being spoiled or by missing the group experience).

That is exactly why I wanted to be in Theatre 1 at AMC-Pleasure Island.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm so frustrated with this trip I doubt I'll ever pay to stay on property again. This is beyond ugly and way worse than it used to be. This is not a wdw experience like they used to be

Oh you too?, I'm in O-town to see the Osborne lights one last time, So disgusted with my recent WDW stays that I'm over at Uni staying at the Royal Pacific @WDW1974 is right about these hotels they are deluxe hotels with the services one expects at the $400/night rate.

PhotoDave219

What was the audience like at your screenings?

The first one? Fanboy audience at Pleasure Island. It was electric, absolutely nuts and crazy.

Tonight in Virginia? The opposite, except for my friend. Some laughs, gasps and reactions when you expected them but some of the obvious easter eggs/gags that got a great reaction in Orlando got crickets tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom