A Spirited Perfect Ten

rael ramone

And there is a discussion to be had about this film and media. Specifically what they did to address spoilers. And for obvious reasons this discussion must wait until much, much, more have seen the film...

doctornick

I agree....Potter who? Its to early to crown the new king but it is looking that way. What Disney has to do is parlay this success to SWland. Take some notes on how UNI executed Potter land and double down. If they do it could wipe out any gains UNI has made in the park wars. On the downside they could also continue its programs of cuts and the public will line up and just open their wallets and surrender.

I don't think there is much Disney could do to affect the gains Uni has gotten in recent years -- because those gains were not at the expense of Disney (by and large) but from Sea World and other local options. What Disney can do by having high quality and frequent additions is to prevent Uni from biting into WDW. It's entirely possible that if both WDW and Uni are firing on all cylinders that they will be mutually beneficial by simply drawing more people to the Orlando area (especially foreigners for long holidays).

tokengator

I don't think there is much Disney could do to affect the gains Uni has gotten in recent years -- because those gains were not at the expense of Disney (by and large) but from Sea World and other local options. What Disney can do by having high quality and frequent additions is to prevent Uni from biting into WDW. It's entirely possible that if both WDW and Uni are firing on all cylinders that they will be mutually beneficial by simply drawing more people to the Orlando area (especially foreigners for long holidays).

competition is healthy and the consumer always always always wins when this happens.

Park wars is the greatest thing that could possibly happen to anyone that is a fan of disney, uni, or both

tokengator

Cable cutters

wow so it is coming fruition? I remember this being boasted by some of the internet providers -- that they were going to one day steal from traditional cable powerhouses. I thought it might happen to some entities but one thing that I thought would keep certain entities healthy, like ESPN, was live programming (sports)

I wonder if cable package bloat is overwhelming people and ultimately hurting ESPN. Perhaps they might become more inclined to push the cable providers to offer al la carte to get back the people that do want live programming but not all the other crap that, as of now, must come with it

rael ramone

what is going on with ESPN?

Cord cutting. ESPN is the biggest money maker for The Walt Disney Company (or as I like to refer to it, $DIS since they are first and foremost about the stock price). On average, every person who has cable television pays ESPN $6.60 a month for just that one channel, whether they watch it or not (so it has been their most dependable revenue stream as well). And people are getting rid of cable, or not ever getting it in the first place. Many think it will accelerate - and the thought is that a good number of people who do like live sports content won't be too keen to pay much more to make up the difference, especially with other much cheaper sports channels plus network television providing a fair percentage of college ball and much larger chunk of NFL action.

Here's an article that has the 2014 #'s - ESPN is $6.04. TNT is in 2nd place at $1.48. Fox Sports 1 is just 68 cents.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/

This reminds me of another threat ESPN might face that I was thinking about.

Since people are looking to save money, suppose someone came up with a Discount Sports Bundle, that included all the sports channels EXCEPT the ESPN family of channels. I believe it is possible on a Saturday afternoon to watch college football from noon to nighttime EST, and have multiple options in most timeslots, between the networks (including ABC which is universally standard) and the non ESPN basic cable sports channels. May not get much SEC action, but with a good amount of SEC envy many might not mind. And for the NFL you'd only miss Monday Night Football (unless it's a local team). The pain for the college football fan may only come during bowltime.

John

I see your point....but there has always been a game of one- up -manship shall we say. Granted it all benifit the consumer. My real point is Disney really needs to take SWland to another level. They have possibly the biggest movie of all time....they need to do it justice.
I know it's way early but what does this do to the Avatar movies and its expectations?

MerlinTheGoat

Gee that's damning the movie with faint praise, But that's kind of what I hear my friends saying about the movie It's OK but I don't need to see it twice.

Had an opportunity to see it 'free' (to me) last night but I passed for a couple of reasons one of course is to make a miniscule contribution to 'starving the disney beast' and not contribute to opening weekend. Two I don't go to a lot of movies and so far TFA just does not seem compelling.

DW - DID go (huge SW fangurl) and her comment was 'it was OK'
Not really how i'd like people to view my post. It's well worth seeing and very good, and it will be better if you manage to avoid spoilers. That is likely why others have such a high opinion on it. The movie would have unquestionably made a much bigger impact on me had I not known a major plot point in advance, someone ruined an important part for me before seeing it as I said in an earlier post. It was still fantastic seeing it play out onscreen though. The fact that I still found it extremely enjoyable even being spoiled says something about the movie being good. I already want to see it again. I also suspect it will grow on me over time as the disappointment of being spoiled beforehand diminishes.

And I did not feel like I was watching a toy commercial at any point to address another worry of yours. It felt like a Star Wars movie made by people who enjoy the originals and respect its legacy. While i'm sure Disney executives see it as a cash cow, not once did I feel that way while viewing it. It's very good, genuinely Star Wars movie and very entertaining.

One aspect I found interesting and fresh was the lightsaber duel. I actually like the duels in the prequels and was worried this one would be too short and not as well choreographed. It turned out that it WAS a somewhat different, but fresh take. It took elements from both trilogies, but felt more brutal and "real" somehow. You could really feel the power that went into the blows and every move looked like it was intended to actually connect with the opponent's body. While again I do like the duels in the prequels, the dance like choreography does leave a lot of obvious openings that most normal viewers can see when you look. Sometimes felt like they were putting on a show rather than trying to kill one another. Force Awakens presented a very cool and interesting duel. It still had some of the grace of the prequels, but showed off more power, brutality and intention to injure/kill than i've seen before.

MaxW

Not really how i'd like people to view my post. It's well worth seeing and very good, and it will be better if you manage to avoid spoilers. That is likely why others have such a high opinion on it. The movie would have unquestionably made a much bigger impact on me had I not known a major plot point in advance, someone ruined an important part for me before seeing it as I said in an earlier post. It was still fantastic seeing it play out onscreen though. The fact that I still found it extremely enjoyable even being spoiled says something about the movie being good. I already want to see it again. I also suspect it will grow on me over time as the disappointment of being spoiled beforehand diminishes.

And I did not feel like I was watching a toy commercial at any point to address another worry of yours. It felt like a Star Wars movie made by people who enjoy the originals and respect its legacy. While i'm sure Disney executives see it as a cash cow, not once did I feel that way while viewing it. It's very good, genuinely Star Wars movie and very entertaining.

One aspect I found interesting and fresh was the lightsaber duel. I actually like the duels in the prequels and was worried this one would be too short and not as well choreographed. It turned out that it WAS a somewhat different, but fresh take. It took elements from both trilogies, but felt more brutal and "real" somehow. You could really feel the power that went into the blows and every move looked like it was intended to actually connect with the opponent's body. While again I do like the duels in the prequels, the dance like choreography does leave a lot of obvious openings that most normal viewers can see when you look. Sometimes felt like they were putting on a show rather than trying to kill one another. Force Awakens presented a very cool and interesting duel. It still had some of the grace of the prequels, but showed off more power, brutality and intention to injure/kill than i've seen before.
definitely agree. I knew of a major plot point, and still loved it

baymenxpac

the apocalypse for ESPN is very real.

the NFL is in talks to stream all thursday night football games next season (like they did for the jags/bills game in london on nov 1).

MLBAM (major league baseball advanced media) has already made a very successful direct-to-customer streaming network in WWE network, and has MLB and the NHL under its purview.

the stars are beginning to align for sports fans to cut the chord. not any time soon, but in the next 10 years? maybe. and if that's the case, i'm not keeping ESPN for the one or two MNF games my team plays during the year. that's what bars are for.

VJ

My favorite thing out of the last 24 hours is seeing things go from "Disney is going to ruin Star Wars!" to "OMG THAT WAS AMAZING." Disney didn't ruin Marvel, why would they ruin Star Wars?
Ever since Disney was announced to be acquiring Lucasfilm in 2012 I immediately knew the company would be in great hands, even when everyone else continually said "DISNEY WILL RUIN STAR WARS!" I had faith and trust (and maybe trace samples of pixie dust) in Disney and it paid off spectacularly last night when I saw The Force Awakens. I absolutely loved it but I don't think I can see the movie in its entirety more than once (everyone who has seen the movie knows why).

doctornick

the apocalypse for ESPN is very real.

the NFL is in talks to stream all thursday night football games next season (like they did for the jags/bills game in london on nov 1).

MLBAM (major league baseball advanced media) has already made a very successful direct-to-customer streaming network in WWE network, and has MLB and the NHL under its purview.

the stars are beginning to align for sports fans to cut the chord. not any time soon, but in the next 10 years? maybe. and if that's the case, i'm not keeping ESPN for the one or two MNF games my team plays during the year. that's what bars are for.

But ESPN owns the streaming rights for most, if not all, of their existing contracts. If people continue to cut the cords in greater numbers, then ESPN with it's wide selection of sports properties would be one of the major streaming services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom