A Spirited Perfect Ten

P_Radden

I was perfectly happy with leaving it at the posting I made, but apparently some folks were so taken with my statements that they replied to request follow-ups, so I obliged. ;)

In any case, what's your suggestion for a topic? If you are going to criticize us talking about this one, surely you must have your own suggestions?
Well, how about how well TFA will do at the BO this weekend, and how that will impact TWDC, the stock, and the future of the franchise?

eh?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That particular wording leads me to suspect not, that phrase is generally accompanied by a horrified tone when spoken aloud. The feedback has been mostly positive, but there are some who hate it (not just the white male supremacists). I actually can see why it might turn some fans off.

But i guess i'm more in the "majority" here myself. I saw it tonight with mom, we both enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't call it It amazing and definitely not my favorite in the series (we both had spoilery gripes I won't discuss here) but it was still a good and very entertaining movie. And not in a "so bad it's actually really fun to watch" way like the prequels, but legit entertaining and good. I liked the new cast a lot in particular, particularly Daisy Ridley but the others are also cool.

Perhaps a bit premature as it's regarding the future, but I also REALLY liked Looper (time travel plotholes and inconsistencies aside) and look forward to seeing what Rian Johnson will do with the story for Episode VIII.

Gee that's damning the movie with faint praise, But that's kind of what I hear my friends saying about the movie It's OK but I don't need to see it twice.

Had an opportunity to see it 'free' (to me) last night but I passed for a couple of reasons one of course is to make a miniscule contribution to 'starving the disney beast' and not contribute to opening weekend. Two I don't go to a lot of movies and so far TFA just does not seem compelling.

DW - DID go (huge SW fangurl) and her comment was 'it was OK'

AEfx

Well, how about how well TFA will do at the BO this weekend, and how that will impact TWDC, the stock, and the future of the franchise?

eh?

I think we covered those predictions a few pages ago - but that certainly is a good topic. :)

Seeing the film last night, and the crowds, and the enthusiasm, and today - hearing from people that even as of last week said "nah, not my thing, I don't like Sci-fi" and now are like "We're going this weekend!" - I think we have a new #1 movie of all time.

The theater I saw it in kept adding shows by the minute - it was insane. I'll be curious once the news wakes up today to see if what I have been seeing is happening all over or if it's atypical - I'm guessing the former.

The prediction I made a few pages back I am sticking with - every Dec record has been shattered, unless something drastic happens, JW just had a pretty short reign as the biggest opening weekend ever, and come Spring (if Winter ever states, LOL) there will be a new #1 movie of all time.

And, even then, Darth Iger haters will still refuse to admit the absolute brilliance of the purchase of Lucasfilm - and even though I hate Avaturd myself - how Iger was able to get the top two movies of all time under the Disney Parks banner.

AEfx

Good point. I'm interested to see how many weekends this baby will stay #1 at the box office... 4? 6? more?

I haven't really looked at the slate of what's in competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts into the new year. The thing about this movie is that it's gonna have legs like Betty Grable...it will still be churning money and will stay in the top 5 for a very long while, I think, even after initial drop off. A lot longer than most films do these days. I think Disney is going to make us wait until next fall for home video, too. It also may pull an Avatar where it could leave the #1 spot but then again months later during a slow period it comes back up again.

Someone who pays more attention than I do - what else is coming up for "tenpole" pictures between now and Batman vs Superman?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think we covered those predictions a few pages ago - but that certainly is a good topic. :)

Seeing the film last night, and the crowds, and the enthusiasm, and today - hearing from people that even as of last week said "nah, not my thing, I don't like Sci-fi" and now are like "We're going this weekend!" - I think we have a new #1 movie of all time.

The theater I saw it in kept adding shows by the minute - it was insane. I'll be curious once the news wakes up today to see if what I have been seeing is happening all over or if it's atypical - I'm guessing the former.

The prediction I made a few pages back I am sticking with - every Dec record has been shattered, unless something drastic happens, JW just had a pretty short reign as the biggest opening weekend ever, and come Spring (if Winter ever states, LOL) there will be a new #1 movie of all time.

And, even then, Darth Iger haters will still refuse to admit the absolute brilliance of the purchase of Lucasfilm - and even though I hate Avaturd myself - how Iger was able to get the top two movies of all time under the Disney Parks banner.

I'm one of the greatest Darth Iger haters and it WAS a Brilliant move to get Lucasfilm but I'm not a fan of what Darth Iger is doing with the property ie strip mining the Star Wars brand for cash and diminishing it's value long term.

The 'Launch Bay' is a perfect example of the mindset. One reason is Lucasfilm always cared about the fans where Disney does not. To Disney Star Wars is tentpoles and toy sales - they don't understand that lots of people have an emotional attachment to the SW Universe. In the Lucasfilm world fan fiction was encouraged, In the Disney world it's to be stamped out.

I'm just wondering when the lawsuits will begin against the 501'st or demanding licensing fees from the troopers.

the.dreamfinder

I'm one of the greatest Darth Iger haters and it WAS a Brilliant move to get Lucasfilm but I'm not a fan of what Darth Iger is doing with the property ie strip mining the Star Wars brand for cash and diminishing it's value long term.

The 'Launch Bay' is a perfect example of the mindset. One reason is Lucasfilm always cared about the fans where Disney does not. To Disney Star Wars is tentpoles and toy sales - they don't understand that lots of people have an emotional attachment to the SW Universe. In the Lucasfilm world fan fiction was encouraged, In the Disney world it's to be stamped out.

I'm just wondering when the lawsuits will begin against the 501'st or demanding licensing fees from the troopers.
Disney should have done something small that was well executed, like a BB-8 living character M&G, than hyping up a third rate Comic-Con display for the parks. That little droid could make the Anna and Elsa lines look reasonable.

FigmentForver96

That particular wording leads me to suspect not, that phrase is generally accompanied by a horrified tone when spoken aloud. The feedback has been mostly positive, but there are some who hate it (not just the white male supremacists). I actually can see why it might turn some fans off.

But i guess i'm more in the "majority" here myself. I saw it tonight with mom, we both enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't call it It amazing and definitely not my favorite in the series (we both had spoilery gripes I won't discuss here) but it was still a good and very entertaining movie. And not in a "so bad it's actually really fun to watch" way like the prequels, but legit entertaining and good. I liked the new cast a lot in particular, particularly Daisy Ridley but the others are also cool.

Perhaps a bit premature as it's regarding the future, but I also REALLY liked Looper (time travel plotholes and inconsistencies aside) and look forward to seeing what Rian Johnson will do with the story for Episode VIII.
Ehh i kind of figured I was just more looking to see what he really thought. While not the best, it def was better then any of the prequels and probably my third favorite overall.

lebeau

Yeah I am shocked that was the number... But I cannot find out when time frame that figure is from.

It's Thursday night. Showings started at 7:00. It's a very high number. The previous record was $43.5 million set by the last Harry Potter movie in 2011. Of course, it started previews at midnight, so Star Wars had an advantage of 5 extra hours worth of showings there.

Projections were that Star Wars would break the record. But anything north of $50 million was considered "phenomenal."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom