A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

The technical babble answer is: Hateful 8 was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, which was designed to be projected in a Cinerama theater. Ultra Panavision uses anamorphic lenses for the camera and projector to create an ultra-wide picture (standard HD is 1.77 to 1, Ultra Panavision is 2.76 to 1). When Hateful 8 is shown in other theaters, even with a 70 mm projector, it will be letterboxed on a standard 1.77 to 1 screen. Not so at the Cinerama, because it has the correct screen, and there's only a handful of these theaters left in the world.

He directed the film to be shown on THAT screen. His success is based on providing his audience his intended product, so he wants his film to be able to be seen in the exact circumstances he created the film for. The guy is nuts/passionate about those small details.

I think that's totally cool and rational, but the solution then for Tarantino would have been to either (a) secured the Cinerama before Disney booked it or (b) released his film at a different time to avoid the SW:TFA high screen usage.

IOW, I don't see how Disney is doing something wrong in this case. Regardless of his compelling reasons for wanting to show the movie in that venue, it doesn't make Disney the "bad guy" by contracting to use it for their film and upholding that deal.

Cesar R M

Having not seen the film yet, or knowing hardly anything about the character other than what little has been shown in the trailers and on merchandise, I already think he's a better Star Wars villain than Vader. Just the complexity of his design, costume, more sinister-looking helmet, crossguard lightsaber (or whatever he calls it), etc. Even the few brief shots we've seen of him in action shows a sense of better fighting agility than Vader. Looking forward to learning more about this new galactic badass in little over a day. Glad you enjoyed the film, and thanks for the review!
Speaking of that inversed cross lightsaver.
Kinda reminds me of these complains about the lightsaber. The villain and the "hero" of the film being "kinda racist.." (aka a guy in full hooded suit with a cross type sword, hunting down a black dude in white armor) :hilarious:

Cesar R M

also, for @PhotoDave219 ... anyone remembers that dbag who raised the price of some HIV related drug by a few folds to cash money?
he was caught for doing quite a few frauds..

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-crime-shkreli-idUSKBN0U01IM20151217?utm_source=twitter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ted-drug-price-arrested-on-fraud-charges.html

now.. if you add the news that another company is doing generics of the same formula for very small price.. this guy just kicked himself in the nuts out of pure greed. :hilarious:

GiveMeTheMusic

I think that's totally cool and rational, but the solution then for Tarantino would have been to either (a) secured the Cinerama before Disney booked it or (b) released his film at a different time to avoid the SW:TFA high screen usage.

IOW, I don't see how Disney is doing something wrong in this case. Regardless of his compelling reasons for wanting to show the movie in that venue, it doesn't make Disney the "bad guy" by contracting to use it for their film and upholding that deal.

I may have misread the original article, but isn't the problem that Weinsten HAD booked the Cinerama Dome? And when they let Disney know they would honor their contract for Hateful Eight, Disney threatened to pull TFA from all Arclight screens? Because if so that is SHADY BOOTS and Disney should be ashamed for that kind of BS behavior.

doctornick

I may have misread the original article, but isn't the problem that Weinsten HAD booked the Cinerama Dome? And when they let Disney know they would honor their contract for Hateful Eight, Disney threatened to pull TFA from all Arclight screens? Because if so that is SHADY BOOTS and Disney should be ashamed for that kind of BS behavior.

The impression I had from the article is that both Weinstein and Disney had verbal agreements to use the Cinerama and Disney simply formalized it first with an actual contract and isn't willing to give up that contract.

Furthermore, if the Cinerama had a deal with Weinstein and then broke it to contract with Disney, that's on the Cinerama not Disney.

GiveMeTheMusic

The impression I had from the article is that both Weinstein and Disney had verbal agreements to use the Cinerama and Disney simply formalized it first with an actual contract and isn't willing to give up that contract.

Furthermore, if the Cinerama had a deal with Weinstein and then broke it to contract with Disney, that's on the Cinerama not Disney.

True, but it's also on Disney for threatening to pull TFA from their whole chain. That's just nasty. Arclight can't afford to lose out on TFA completely and Disney knows it.

But everyone knows Disney is 100% ethical at all times, like all major American corporations.

doctornick

True, but it's also on Disney for threatening to pull TFA from their whole chain. That's just nasty.

And is that true? All we have is Tarantino alleging that which is just as likely as to be made up, whereas the article specifically says:

Disney booked the space months ago for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which begins rolling out Thursday night. It is scheduled to play at the dome throughout the holidays.

Insiders say there was never a contract to play Hateful Eight (generally speaking there are never contracts, only verbal deals). TWC has known since advance ticket sales went on sale for Force Awakens in late October that it would not get the dome, but Tarantino wasn't informed until recently.

It sounds to me that the Weinstein Co just never got around to actually booking the desired venue, Disney got it first, and Tarantino is ed about it and trying to lash out and get sympathy. That's not Disney's fault.

ChrisM

The wait for this film was a long one, the wait for Episode 8 is going to be excruciating after finally seeing The Force Awakens.

It's worth noting that, including this week's release of Episode 7, we are going to see 3 new Star Wars movies released in an 18 month period.

Episode 7: December 2015
Rogue One: December 2016
Episode 8: May 2017

While the wait may be excruciating, it certainly isn't going to be all that long.

GiveMeTheMusic

And is that true? All we have is Tarantino alleging that which is just as likely as to be made up, whereas the article specifically says:

It sounds to me that the Weinstein Co just never got around to actually booking the desired venue, Disney got it first, and Tarantino is ****ed about it and trying to lash out and get sympathy. That's not Disney's fault.

You're right, if that's the case it's not Disney's fault. It would still be a nice gesture for them to let him have the one screen he shot his movie for. Hollywood already has multiple major venues showing TFA and the dome isn't needed, so I hope it gets sorted out nicely for everyone involved.

raymusiccity

Yeah. I won't be seeing it till the 21st so please use the spoiler tag for any plot details everyone.
Yeah. I won't be seeing it till the 21st so please use the spoiler tag for any plot details everyone.

Best solution:
image.jpeg

BlueSkyDriveBy

Hollywood already has multiple major venues showing TFA and the dome isn't needed, so I hope it gets sorted out nicely for everyone involved.
This speaks to the clearance boundary issue mentioned in Deadline's article:

Quentin Tarantino Blasts Disney on Howard Stern

For years there was a clearance boundary whereby if a film was playing at the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd, then it couldn’t be playing at the Cinerama Dome. But that’s not the situation here with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: It’s playing at the TCL Chinese Theater, Disney’s El Capitan and The Cinerama Dome.

Living here in L.A., The Cinerama Dome is a prized venue for Tarantino. In fact the Cinerama logo appears in the opening credits of The Hateful Eight. The premiere for the film was held on Monday, Dec. 7 at the Cinerama Dome and the director told Deadline’s Pete Hammond, “I made The Hateful Eight for the Dome … This is the first time seeing it at the Dome for me too, and it was like I hadn’t even seen it before, not like this.”​

Just how much Mouse Muscle™ did Disney flex in order to bully Arclight into ditching the clearance boundary for TFA?

I've never been a huge fan of QT's work, but... that's just slimy.

Everyone else has to play by the boundary rules except Disney. :mad:

brb1006

Not Star Wars related, but I'm having a feeling if Disney's next film Zootopia gets released and might end up good. I'm expecting the film to have a bigger presence at Animal Kingdom.

FrankLapidus

It's worth noting that, including this week's release of Episode 7, we are going to see 3 new Star Wars movies released in an 18 month period.

Episode 7: December 2015
Rogue One: December 2016
Episode 8: May 2017

While the wait may be excruciating, it certainly isn't going to be all that long.

I agree it won’t necessarily be a long wait in comparison to how long we waited for The Force Awakens, and I can’t wait to see Rogue One in the meantime, but eighteen months does feel like a long time to wait for the continuation of this new story immediately after watching the new film. Which is a good thing in my eyes, it’s great to have that sense of anticipation and excitement again.

Frankie The Beer

This speaks to the clearance boundary issue mentioned in Deadline's article:

Quentin Tarantino Blasts Disney on Howard Stern

For years there was a clearance boundary whereby if a film was playing at the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd, then it couldn’t be playing at the Cinerama Dome. But that’s not the situation here with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: It’s playing at the TCL Chinese Theater, Disney’s El Capitan and The Cinerama Dome.

Living here in L.A., The Cinerama Dome is a prized venue for Tarantino. In fact the Cinerama logo appears in the opening credits of The Hateful Eight. The premiere for the film was held on Monday, Dec. 7 at the Cinerama Dome and the director told Deadline’s Pete Hammond, “I made The Hateful Eight for the Dome … This is the first time seeing it at the Dome for me too, and it was like I hadn’t even seen it before, not like this.”​

Just how much Mouse Muscle™ did Disney flex in order to bully Arclight into ditching the clearance boundary for TFA?

I've never been a huge fan of QT's work, but... that's just slimy.

Everyone else has to play by the boundary rules except Disney. :mad:

And Hateful Eight will be in my local Redbox by next month. Tarantino is just trying to drub up publicity for his far outmatched film because he knows its going to tank. You really think he wanted to release his movie during SW's launch?

BlueSkyDriveBy

And Hateful Eight will be in my local Redbox by next month. Tarantino is just trying to drub up publicity for his far outmatched film because he knows its going to tank. You really think he wanted to release his movie during SW's launch?
I respectfully disagree.

As was previously pointed out, why would he bother shooting the film on 70mm film stock with Ultra Panavision cameras if not to take advantage of this older technology by showing it on the Dome's wider screen? He's a major geek so stuff like this is important to him.

And the only reason Disney was able to grab the Dome for TFA while simultaneously showing it at the Chinese and El Cap, is because Arclight ditched their traditional clearance boundary to accomodate them. Again, why is Arclight violating their own distribution rules to give the Mouse exclusive showings at 3 major theaters all within a quarter-mile radius?

Sorry, but QT has every right to be ticked off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom