A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

Whether the original intention was a personal attack or not, that's definitely how it played out.

And if Jim Hill had similar information about, say, Al Lutz or Dave Koening or even that insipid Yee, it would have gotten it's own "Why For" post haste. Making him an innocent victim is laughable - if ever the term schadenfreude was appropriate, it's here.

What I have found most interesting is that no one seems particularly surprised. That's because the information simply reinforces his well-earned reputation and seems completely in character for how he has unabashedly behaved since he came on the scene, fresh out of jail, we now know, out to go after the Disney company. Somehow, over two decades that shifted - Disney made him a shill around the time of NFL and used him to get certain info out there. Seems they subscribe to "Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer..."

hopemax

Phew, Force Awakens seen, now I can rejoin the internet without fear of spoilers!

Me too. I'm amazed I made it without knowing too much. I saw one thing months ago, but it was something I figured was predictable, so it was okay. I took headphones while waiting in line, which I think was a good thing. The couple behind me was a little too eager about spoilery. The rest of life can go on now. Is there a holiday next week or something?

ThemeParkJunkee

Unfortunately, due to our work schedules, we unable to see to movie until 1PM January 30th. I am not opposed to opinions, minor spoilers and the like but I have had my kids promise not to call me and tell me the plot.

MerlinTheGoat

Is that like a good thing??
That particular wording leads me to suspect not, that phrase is generally accompanied by a horrified tone when spoken aloud. The feedback has been mostly positive, but there are some who hate it (not just the white male supremacists). I actually can see why it might turn some fans off.

But i guess i'm more in the "majority" here myself. I saw it tonight with mom, we both enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't call it It amazing and definitely not my favorite in the series (we both had spoilery gripes I won't discuss here) but it was still a good and very entertaining movie. And not in a "so bad it's actually really fun to watch" way like the prequels, but legit entertaining and good. I liked the new cast a lot in particular, particularly Daisy Ridley but the others are also cool.

Perhaps a bit premature as it's regarding the future, but I also REALLY liked Looper (time travel plotholes and inconsistencies aside) and look forward to seeing what Rian Johnson will do with the story for Episode VIII.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The technical babble answer is: Hateful 8 was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, which was designed to be projected in a Cinerama theater. Ultra Panavision uses anamorphic lenses for the camera and projector to create an ultra-wide picture (standard HD is 1.77 to 1, Ultra Panavision is 2.76 to 1). When Hateful 8 is shown in other theaters, even with a 70 mm projector, it will be letterboxed on a standard 1.77 to 1 screen. Not so at the Cinerama, because it has the correct screen, and there's only a handful of these theaters left in the world.

He directed the film to be shown on THAT screen. His success is based on providing his audience his intended product, so he wants his film to be able to be seen in the exact circumstances he created the film for. The guy is nuts/passionate about those small details.
That's all great, but how many of 'his audience' could possibly see his movie 'on THAT screen'?

And what prevents our film auteur from showing his big Hollywood production aggressively distributed by those Weinstein bullies modest piece of independent art next month at his prefered location?

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

And if Jim Hill had similar information about, say, Al Lutz or Dave Koening or even that insipid Yee, it would have gotten it's own "Why For" post haste. Making him an innocent victim is laughable - if ever the term schadenfreude was appropriate, it's here.
But has Hill though? Are there any examples, any links?

Is the Schadenfreude over any payback for Hill having previously displayed similar behaviour as Lee? Or is it Schadenfreude just out of spite over general dislike of Hill, incidentally displaying what Rsox argues: that at the heart of all this lies a little black box filled with envy, animosity, and fandom bitchfighting, carefully wrapped in colourful Christmas wrapping paper saying 'neutral discussion about social media strategy'.

RSoxNo1

All I hear is him supposedly showing up on Podcasts and spouting his normal "throw enough crap to the wall and see if it sticks" schtick.
Just because you don't like the medium, doesn't make it irrelevant. We're talking about the Disney fan community here, not major news. Podcasts, Blogs and Forums are where the majority of information comes from.
I'm sorry, he's gotten a few tidbits before, but most of what he has come up with in the past has been cribbed from this website with some educated guesses thrown in.
Jim has sources that are on par with nearly anyone in the fan community. He's sat on things for fear of people losing their jobs (Mine Train). Having said that, at this point there's no real purpose in running down the major stories that Jim has broken recently. I've done that with you before and you don't care. I will say though that he didn't break NFL at all, that was a random poster on WDWMagic that scooped everyone.
I know he's your buddy and all, but this is...reaching, guy. Who cares? As you state, "weren't against Disney". So has nothing whatsoever to do with the points being made here.
Of course that was a reach. But it was done so to make a point. Whether it's Jim Hill or RDJ (that's what his friends call him). Those crimes were in the past. They've had their day in court and in jail. There are people in this country that feel "once a criminal, always a criminal" and there are others that don't. That should really be the debate here, but it has turned into the crap we always get to when the original topic is so lost: Jim Hill sucks and Jim Hill is irrelevant. We have one side that says that, another side that argues against it with logic, and the Jim Hill sucks side just gets louder.

The debate should be, "Should someone that committed a crime against someone else or another company be forgiven by that person or company?" However, that's not the debate you want to have. It's weird though, because that's a side of the debate that's far easier to defend than your usual, "Jim Hill is irrelevant". I know your history with Jim and his site, and that's not what the discussion is.
Sorry guy, with all due respect (and with the exception of your blind spot when it comes to this topic, I do quite respect you) - that's not your call.
Not my call? That doesn't even make sense. This quote was a reponse to my saying, "Jim's criminal record is not up for debate here". If you're saying that's not my call you're arguing with me. Nobody (including Jim) is disputing that he served jail time. The point of debate here is should Disney continue to work with him.
I don't think any of us think Jim owes us anything - I certainly don't. All he did was make a complete fool of himself by posting here, with his erratic follow-ups that read like arguments made by a five-year-old who got caught and is trying to worm his way out. I don't expect anything much more from him, honestly - but even I was shocked at how transparently he pulled every childhood "trick" of "Well, no one cares anyway, and at least they are talking about me!" as he cried into his pillow.
His initial post should have been the end of it, but @the.dreamfinder acted as if Jim needed to further explain himself. @Lee then attempted to move it away from being a hit piece, others called him on it and we have the monkey crap fight that brought Jim back into the mix.
The topic of this thread has never been about WDW1974. In fact, the fact that this thread moves just as quickly when he is not here as when he is proves without a doubt what I have been saying for quite some time is true - it's not about him. It's the "general entertainment/Disney catch-all" thread, and it's popularity has nothing whatsoever to do with him but the fact that it's the only "catch all" in the forum and it's easier to catch up on one thread than many. If Steve created a "General Entertainment/Disney Catch-All" thread, it would have the same amount of traffic. There is no question.
Tell that to @WDW1974, he is convinced that his name drives these threads.
Let's just leave that up to the owner of the site. That's the only option, really. And personally, again, I am quite fond of you and respect you in many ways - but don't get deeper on this Hill thing, seriously, guy - you aren't helping it, and it's not helping you.
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but that's @Lee's department.

What I have found most interesting is that no one seems particularly surprised. That's because the information simply reinforces his well-earned reputation and seems completely in character for how he has unabashedly behaved since he came on the scene, fresh out of jail, we now know, out to go after the Disney company. Somehow, over two decades that shifted - Disney made him a shill around the time of NFL and used him to get certain info out there. Seems they subscribe to "Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer..."

Is the Schadenfreude over any payback for Hill having previously displayed similar behaviour as Lee? Or is it Schadenfreude just out of spite over general dislike of Hill, incidentally displaying what Rsox argues: that at the heart of all this lies a little black box filled with envy, animosity, and fandom bitchfighting, carefully wrapped in colourful Christmas wrapping paper saying 'neutral discussion about social media strategy'.
I don't know that I'm arguing envy, I'm arguing that if the point of this discussion was how Disney vets these bloggers than let's have that be the discussion. Not listening to the likes of @AEfx continue to whine about how much he dislikes Jim Hill. He's been doing that for 5+ years.

I'm done responding on this round of Jim Hill discussion. I'm sure AEfx will come in and take the last word, but now that I know that he likes me, he really likes me, I no longer need to prove myself to him.

The Empress Lilly

he didn't break NFL at all, that was a random poster on WDWMagic that scooped everyone.
On that note, has it ever been revealed who that poster was? I remember it so well, probably the most astounding post ever. Suddenly it was there, detailed blueprints for an entire land overhaul that nobody had seen coming. I thought for a moment he was taking the P, that it was a fan creation.

AEfx

Not listening to the likes of @AEfx continue to whine about how much he dislikes Jim Hill. He's been doing that for 5+ years.

I'm done responding on this round of Jim Hill discussion. I'm sure AEfx will come in and take the last word, but now that I know that he likes me, he really likes me, I no longer need to prove myself to him.

RSox, you are bordering on irrational here.

I made a posting that had nothing to do with you, and was not directed at you, in a conversation that as you admit, you were not taking a part of - then you suddenly jump on my post, attempt use my posting as a platform for your own positions, and now suddenly you imply if I reply I'm showing a "need" to have the last word?

I feel bad that you feel you need to use such little message board tricks in order to try to make your point. That said, I don't really have anything to reply to in the bulk of what you wrote, because you are just using my posting as a platform to make your own statements, aren't actually talking about what I posted about. Although I can't help but think you must at least see a grain of truth in what I say, or my statements wouldn't rile you up so.

I will say it's another cheap trick to say I "continue to whine" - find the last time I mentioned Jim Hill. Maybe a six months, a year ago, briefly? Let alone made a lengthy post about him? By that logic, anyone who holds an opinion, and shares it when the appropriate topic comes up, is "whining"? Before this last day or so, the last discussion I recall having in depth about him was several years ago with you.

I didn't break the news of his criminal past, and I'm not going to apologize for commenting upon it. But that's the crux of what your issue is - you don't think we should be talking about this, or you think we shouldn't be talking about it here, etc. - which all boils down to - sorry, guy - tough. You don't control this site, or me. You don't even seem to be in much control of yourself, to be honest, the way you are going on.

Finally, you can make fun of my genuine statements that yes, I have greatly respected you at times - and quite often, you and I agree. But even when we don't, I have always respected you on everything but this issue. I don't know what this guy has over you that you are willing to throw down to defend him, to sully your own reputation - but then again, I never understood why you cozied up to him in the first place. He was already known as pretty slimy when you started using him to promote your own stuff. Frankly, I always thought you were better than that.

I'll continue to respect other aspects of what you say, RSoxNo1, but I don't think I'll ever understand how you can associate yourself, much less risk your personal reputation defending in such an agitated manner, someone who is incapable of loyalty and frankly just uses you as an attempt to stay relevant since his own site doesn't drive much these days. I'm really sad that you're letting him drag you down like this - there is no glee taken on that aspect, whatsoever.

AEfx

On that note, has it ever been revealed who that poster was? I remember it so well, probably the most astounding post ever. Suddenly it was there, detailed blueprints for an entire land overhaul that nobody had seen coming. I thought for a moment he was taking the P, that it was a fan creation.

FYI, I should have been more clear - although RSOX as much as he keeps track of things, certainly knew what I was talking about - I was referring to the plans for the revision that were believed to have been leaked to him by Disney. This was well covered at the time - most folks here were astonished that given the rotten things he was known for saying about the company at the time, yet I believe the insiders here came to the conclusion that they were both using each other - which actually is very relevant because that was the turning point in this issue (when they started to cozy up together).

Let me be clear, again - my opinions are my own, I can't comment on Lee's motivations nor have I couched it as "a neutral discussion about social media strategy". I'm not part of some group processing and posting talking points, or any such thing.

If you really would like me to, I'm happy to tell you why I feel the way I do about Hill. When I first discovered Disney online fandom, his site was in it's prime. At the time (we are talking more than a dozen years ago now, around the time I began posting here), it seemed like this magical repository of information (and at first, even the fakey-hokey style was cute). But then...when you got down to the meat, you realized that he never finished anything. He'd start a series of articles about, say, the Muppets, or Star Tours, or any number of things - and tease thing after thing - but never finished them. Never shy about asking for donations, he then amped it up when he started begging for money to buy a new laptop, because - surely he could finish them if he just had a shiny new computer. Yeah, right. That was like 10, 11 years ago, and those unfinished articles never got touched.

And then the cracks started showing in the portions of what he did write - how some of the stuff he'd post would be literally impossible for him to know - and you realized that what he had was a few grains of something that he then wove into a tale which sounded great, but the authenticity of which was like a dramatized Lifetime movie - where they take the basic known facts and then completely invent what was between point A and point B. I have no doubt that a lot of that early stuff did come from someone who was somewhat of an insider, but like we've watched over the past decade and a half or so - his sources tend to dry up very, very quickly - because he is so opportunistic he cannot maintain the relationships, apparently.

This is not even getting into things like taking preorders for items never delivered, his naked attempts at socially climbing out of the Disney fandom and into mainstream (I don't have the time to go into the story now, but if you check my previous post history I've discussed before when he tried to make this big fuss about Jorge Garcia (LOST) in a completely made up story he tried to get mainstream coverage, which when it utterly failed he later deleted), his already known shameful behavior which got him kicked out of Disneyland (something he tried to wear like a badge of honor, so incredibly pathetic)...I could go on, but I've given that guy enough of my time already.

While I may not know or necessarily share Lee's motivations, I do not know him personally aside from maybe 2 or 3 PM's over the past dozen years or so, but just knowing what I know of him from his posts and otherwise, I don't think envy or even animosity is at the core of why he may have shared, beyond exposing the daft decision making behind Disney's Social Media brigade.

In addition to all of the above, I think you'll find the reason that many long term posters here do not care for Hill is because at different points when any real contacts dried up, he was taking his "news articles" straight from postings here, without credit. It was comical until it was annoying and ridiculous. A thread would start up here, with some speculation or a tidbit, a few other folks would chime in with their various bits - and two days later, an "article" would magically appear with "insider info" that when you broke it down, contained nothing but what was in the posts here with a bit of added educated guesses that any of us could make. Yet, it was not presented as such - it was "oooh gee a little birdy told me"...

That's about all the time I'm going to give to Jim Hill. I don't even like saying his name - he's right in what he said in his little temper tantrum here, in some ways, positive or negative, just discussing him feeds into his ego-driven nature. And no, I'm not going digging through 10-12 year old articles of his to give more examples - I, as well as others here who can attest, lived through it once, that was enough - if you don't believe the truth, all I can do is /shrug. With the exception of those who are sycophantic toward him for whatever bizarre reasons, you are going to find more people in the Disney community who, one way or another, have seen through some charade or another he has put forth.

That said, I don't think anyone is jealous of him - he's not famous, he's infamous. No one here aspires to be a fraud, or as we can now definitively say, a criminal. As I stated from my first post responding to this new info, I'll repeat it again in what will be my last (unless some new info gets shared) - all this did for me was confirm what I already knew about him based on past observance. He is the ultimate example of a disgruntled lifestyler who has the integrity of a wet tissue on a teenage boys nightstand. He goes where ever he thinks he can make a quick buck or whatever will be advantageous to him at the moment - kiss Disney behind, or try to tear them a new one - just depends on which one he thinks will do himself better that day.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Some of us know Jim and his ex better than others here. Some of us have previous involvements with them that aren't exactly, uh, innocent, for lack of a better word. And for some of us, these histories are rather recent. Both individuals have infamously been guided by the "ask forgiveness instead of permission" mindset for most of their lives. Not exactly an ethical or mature attitude towards others.

FWIW, Disney hasn't been watching the social media crowd nor vetting them thoroughly. It's my understanding that upper management had no prior knowledge of Hill's previous criminal activity on WDW property. Until now.

Will this be a factor in Disney's future dealings with all social media pundits? No one knows. But if an experienced artist can be banned from studio employment because of previous minor shoplifting as a much younger cast member, what do you think? What kind of message does that send out into the media ether, that fraud and assault are no big deal for brand advocates, but petty theft will not be tolerated in anyone else?

Disney is walking a potentially dangerous tightrope here regarding their image. No way they're not taking this seriously.

AEfx

You guys are still talking about Jim!?!?!???

:jawdrop:

I was perfectly happy with leaving it at the posting I made, but apparently some folks were so taken with my statements that they replied to request follow-ups, so I obliged. ;)

In any case, what's your suggestion for a topic? If you are going to criticize us talking about this one, surely you must have your own suggestions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom