A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

The word of mouth on this movie is incredible. With very few detractors (the only notable one that gasbag from Forbes who has been writing negative articles about the film several times a week for months - it makes me think Star Wars did something awful to him as a child).
I have no idea why your comment reminds me of that hilarious mock news site.
About a ultra conservative family, claiming their recently bought life sized jar jar statue, and found it was a "trick of satan" to sodomize his children and incite them to dark desires. :hilarious:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html

BrianLo

Poor air quality, it's not just for Beijing anymore....

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/environment/

This is the top story your link leads me to:

ENVIRONMENTAL protection authorities expect emissions of volatile organic compounds — akin to PM2.5 particles — to fall by half within two years due to the introduction of a penalty system. Since October, companies can be fined for emitting such pollutants into the air.

I assume this wasn't what you were pointing out.

Pollution always peaks around this time of year in Shanghai. Should have no (more or less) bearing on the parks outcome than the hurricanes and winter storms that most other Disney parks deal with annually.

But take my advice, don't book a trip to Shanghai Disneyland in the winter months.

Arthur Wellesley

The star of the film for me is Kylo Ren. On first viewing I think he's the best villain in the whole series and Adam Driver is spectacular. I love Vader but Ren is an incredible character
Having not seen the film yet, or knowing hardly anything about the character other than what little has been shown in the trailers and on merchandise, I already think he's a better Star Wars villain than Vader. Just the complexity of his design, costume, more sinister-looking helmet, crossguard lightsaber (or whatever he calls it), etc. Even the few brief shots we've seen of him in action shows a sense of better fighting agility than Vader. Looking forward to learning more about this new galactic badass in little over a day. Glad you enjoyed the film, and thanks for the review!

MerlinTheGoat

Remember to use the
spoiler
tag when discussing the actual film.
Yes, yes, to the.dreamfinder you listen. Mind the spoiler tag, save you it can. Unfortunately-

I haven't seen it yet, but I was unintentionally exposed to a plot-ruining spoiler many months ago. It was actually this forum, someone trollingly posted a thread with a spoiler from an apparent leak (reported to have ended up true and I won't repeat here even in spoiler tags, though some may know the event i'm referring to by now). It was unmarked and in the thread title on the WDW general discussion section. The mods caught it quickly and likely not many people saw it, but I was among the unlucky ones that did. Boom, major event spoiled...

Last edited:

rael ramone

To be clear: "opening night" would be Thur night's + Friday's receipts together? I could easily see $100M with Thur/Fri combined given the pre-sales and hype.

HP & Deathly Hallows pt 2 did $91M on "opening day'
Age of Ultron did $84M

Now, if we are talking about Friday alone, that seems a bit more of a stretch, but conceivable.

I was able to snag a ticket for a 10am showing tomorrow (Standard of course). This pesky thing called 'school' is going to surpress things a bit...

rael ramone

Here's the thing, though. This isn't isolated. Disney has been playing super-hard ball with theatrical distribution for a few years now, pretty much since The Avengers. There are tons of articles about it out there. They are putting the enormous squeeze on the theaters in unprecedented ways (both financial and contractually in lock-ups). This happens to be one of those ways when Tarantino is affected, but it's just one spoke of an ongoing strategy of domination that, if it continues, very well could lead to anti-trust issues if it keeps progressing. This is more like Taylor Swift taking on Apple Music streaming than it seems at first blush (where there are a lot of little guys that he's really speaking up for).

I'm 50/50 with Tarantino on this one, for various reasons - but the dumbest thing was to schedule ANY movie this month other than Star Wars. I think conventional Hollywood thinking would say that it was a great idea to schedule (what is presumably) an ultra-violent, black comedy with a refined pedigree, as the "counter programming" to Star Wars. The problem is, Star Wars appeals to such wide demographics that there is no counter-programming to be had. The 30-50yo male audience typical of Tarantino will be waiting for Blu-ray for his film, because they'll be going back to Star Wars multiple times.

I think they believe the Tarantino film will be 'awards bait' - the kind of stuff that usually gets released in December.

VJ

How much will TFA make on opening?

ALL the money.
I'm sorry. I had to.
gcO7fJc.png

gonzoWDW

Everything I've seen (while managing to avoid spoilers) for TFA looks great. The only question I have at this point is if the movie will be able to stand outside of its planned trilogy, like the original movie, or of it will be one of those "obviously part of a bigger story" movies.

Here's hoping it serves as a great standalone movie too.

acishere

Why does he deserve it? That's I guess what I don't see. He's got plenty of theaters showing his movie. This one is special to him, and quite frankly, that means nothing to me. He's not getting this one little thing to go his way and he's throwing a fit.
The technical babble answer is: Hateful 8 was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, which was designed to be projected in a Cinerama theater. Ultra Panavision uses anamorphic lenses for the camera and projector to create an ultra-wide picture (standard HD is 1.77 to 1, Ultra Panavision is 2.76 to 1). When Hateful 8 is shown in other theaters, even with a 70 mm projector, it will be letterboxed on a standard 1.77 to 1 screen. Not so at the Cinerama, because it has the correct screen, and there's only a handful of these theaters left in the world.

He directed the film to be shown on THAT screen. His success is based on providing his audience his intended product, so he wants his film to be able to be seen in the exact circumstances he created the film for. The guy is nuts/passionate about those small details.

rael ramone

Who here remembers that show 'Newhart' (the one /w Larry Darryl and Darryl)?

There was one show (one of the 'Stephanie/Michael' breakup/makeup shows) where Stephanie says to Michael towards the end:

'What's the least I can do to get you back. I mean, the very, very. least'.

For years this was similar to the mantra of $DIS as far as the swamps was concerned.

Do the absolute least to extract the absolute most from your wallet.

And this was after the 'Al Lutz' revolution on the left coast (unfortunately assisted by dead guests IIRC).

While they are finally doing stuff down there (thanks to JK Rowling and Comcast) look how long it has taken. And what will this end up costing us (both in raised prices as well as cuts in other areas).

$DIS has used social media as a cheap way to deal with issues - don't fix problems, shout them down... which is an issue a lot of us have with them.

lazyboy97o

The technical babble answer is: Hateful 8 was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, which was designed to be projected in a Cinerama theater. Ultra Panavision uses anamorphic lensed s for the camera and projector to create an ultra-wide picture (standard HD is 1.77 to 1, Ultra Panavision is 2.76 to 1). When Hateful 8 is shown in other theaters, even with a 70 mm projector, it will be letterboxed on a standard 1.77 to 1 screen. Not so at the Cinerama, because it has the correct screen, and there's only a handful of these theaters left in the world.

He directed the film to be shown on THAT screen. His success is based on providing his audience his intended product, so he wants his film to be able to be seen in the exact circumstances he created the film for. The guy is nuts/passionate about those small details.
Tarantino has made plenty of money for the Weinsteins over the years. They know the game and should have actually secured a deal or avoided releasing this film in the immediate aftermath of The Force Awakens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom