A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

Wah. My movie that will make me 10s of millions of dollars won't be shown for 2 weeks in one very specific theater. Wah. How horrible for him.
Disney has signed four week minimums for "The Force Awakens". The least Disney could have done was to give up the dome after the 24th. They'll still make lots of money at the Arclight Hollywood.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I understand your sentiment...sort of, but he identifies himself an artist(as do I and many other film fans). The venue is a very important part of art. All artists use great consideration when displaying their piece,(sculpture,mural,2D works, even food, fasion etc.). I would consider him a consumate auteur and deserving of that space.

Why does he deserve it? That's I guess what I don't see. He's got plenty of theaters showing his movie. This one is special to him, and quite frankly, that means nothing to me. He's not getting this one little thing to go his way and he's throwing a fit.

Goofyernmost

I never said that, LOL.

I'm new to this particular conversation. I know it's weird that I'm not jumping on one person or anther's bandwagon and injected my own take, but to summarize I think that it a) says a lot about what we already knew about Hill, and b) that it makes the Disney social brigade look awful.
Sorry, I don't see how Disney's social brigade looks awful with or without Jim Hill. He is doing what he does for a living. You do what you do and if you work for a major corporation, I'll bet that they do things that are questionable. What he and the, so called, social brigade do is neither immoral or unethical. It's what they do as a marketing tool and if the public is stupid enough to hang on every word, well... buyer beware. What's that saying?... Duct tape can't fix stupid, but, it will stifle the sound a bit.

AEfx

How much will TFA make on opening?

ALL the money.

Pretty much. :)

Here's my take:

* It will obliterate any December openings pretty much upon release (supposedly advance sales have now topped 100M) - my guess is before Friday is done all December records will be no more. (100% chance)

* It will handily defeat Jurassic Park as the biggest opening of the year (99.9% chance)

* Come next February/March, when it's still playing in theaters in the top 5, Avatar will be dethroned (90-95%).

The word of mouth on this movie is incredible. With very few detractors (the only notable one that gasbag from Forbes who has been writing negative articles about the film several times a week for months - it makes me think Star Wars did something awful to him as a child).

What you have is a huge, major opening weekend blockbuster - that's gonna have legs like Betty Grable as everyone ventures out to see what all the fuss is about (basically, what also made Avatar #1 - then it was for the technology, here it's for the soul).

DDLand

Not cool Disney.
So basically in the article it says that the contract with Disney has been in place for months. Weinstein Brothers was trying to "convince" the Company to backstab Disney and play their film instead. Why? Because too many theaters are already carrying Star Wars. Or at least so says Tarantino. I like how he can come out and blast Disney and get all sorts of attention and his side of events are what sticks. Disney's or the theater's version of events may be different.

I think this probably has more to do with the fact Star Wars has been sucking up all the attention and by bashing Star Wars he gets some free publicity. No sympathy coming from me. Disney has the superior product.

Quinnmac000

It's just ironic how Tarantino used to make films for Disney (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill I and II were distributed by Disney under Miramax) and now it seems Disney is being more so petty not to give him one screen in a theatre. Maybe its just me but even if I wasn't a Tarantino fan ing off directors isn't always the best way to go. You kinda need them to direct films. First Tarantino then who next, Spielberg, Abrams when he isn't working on a Disney film?

Also seems Disney lost out again as Spielberg not only took Dreamworks (live-action from Disney) but several other companies as well to Universal.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rns-to-universal-pictures-20151216-story.html

AEfx

How many people on the planet are possibly going to see the film in that one venue, that very important part of his art work? 1/10000th of the amount necessary to recoup the movie costs?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for protesting TWDC for strong-arming their competition and...wait...this competition is the Weinstein brothers. Well done Disney for getting back at these ruthless bullies.

Here's the thing, though. This isn't isolated. Disney has been playing super-hard ball with theatrical distribution for a few years now, pretty much since The Avengers. There are tons of articles about it out there. They are putting the enormous squeeze on the theaters in unprecedented ways (both financial and contractually in lock-ups). This happens to be one of those ways when Tarantino is affected, but it's just one spoke of an ongoing strategy of domination that, if it continues, very well could lead to anti-trust issues if it keeps progressing. This is more like Taylor Swift taking on Apple Music streaming than it seems at first blush (where there are a lot of little guys that he's really speaking up for).

I'm 50/50 with Tarantino on this one, for various reasons - but the dumbest thing was to schedule ANY movie this month other than Star Wars. I think conventional Hollywood thinking would say that it was a great idea to schedule (what is presumably) an ultra-violent, black comedy with a refined pedigree, as the "counter programming" to Star Wars. The problem is, Star Wars appeals to such wide demographics that there is no counter-programming to be had. The 30-50yo male audience typical of Tarantino will be waiting for Blu-ray for his film, because they'll be going back to Star Wars multiple times.

the.dreamfinder

It's just ironic how Tarantino used to make films for Disney (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill I and II were distributed by Disney under Miramax) and now it seems Disney is being more so petty not to give him one screen in a theatre. Maybe its just me but even if I wasn't a Tarantino fan ****ing off directors isn't always the best way to go. You kinda need them to direct films. First Tarantino then who next, Spielberg, Abrams when he isn't working on a Disney film?

Also seems Disney lost out again as Spielberg not only took Dreamworks (live-action from Disney) but several other companies as well to Universal.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rns-to-universal-pictures-20151216-story.html
You can thank Iger for that one. The deal that Dick Cook had negotiated with Spielberg would have included a co-financing component; which was only used once with the upcoming "The BFG". But Bob loves tentpoles and tentpoles only, so no co-financing for those $20-60 mid range films DreamWorks live action makes. That was Disney's best shot at getting Spielberg to spend the rest of his career with them. Nice going Bob.

Last edited:

Nubs70

In other news the crapweasels in DC have given Disney a sloppy wet kiss in that they just quadrupled the number of H2B visas in the latest budget bill The H2B is the visa Disney uses to import mousekeepers from the carribean to depress wages in O-town

Just what the economy needs more imported low skill workers when a record number of people out of the workforce.
250,000 H-2B per year

MerlinTheGoat

Just a heads up just in case, keep as FAR away as possible from IMDB's Force Awakens board. I've only looked at it for the past couple of days, but the entire board is overrun with either unmarked plot-ruining spoilers or negative reviews from white male supremacists who haven't even seen it (yeah you heard right, people detest the movie which they've not even seen for no other reason besides a hatred for black people and women).

I've only gone onto an IMDB board probably twice in the past 5+ years, and it was for older movies that get less discussion. So i was unaware of how toxic the Star Wars board was. Perhaps most other people realize this already, but i just thought i'd give a heads up as a courtesy in case anyone wasn't aware. If only to warn anyone about there being unmarked spoilers there.

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

Just got out of the first midnight showings of The Force Awakens here in the UK and I thought it was spectacular, the film exceeded all of my expectations and has put the franchise firmly back on track.

It just flew, I was completely caught up in everything I was seeing. It has everything; action, humour, some fairly dark moments that I wasn't expecting and all of the nostalgia I expected to experience with the return of so many of the original cast and characters.

All of the new characters are excellent. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega more than hold their own as the new faces of the franchise and have a great chemistry, Oscar Isaac is brilliant while there are some nice cameos that you might notice (one in particular stands out and I was surprised that the people I went to see the film with didn't realise who they were watching on-screen). BB-8 is a real highlight, you could sense the entire theatre just fall in love with him from pretty much the moment he appears and I think he's going to be a huge favourite amongst fans.

The star of the film for me is Kylo Ren. On first viewing I think he's the best villain in the whole series and Adam Driver is spectacular. I love Vader but Ren is an incredible character, beyond the helmet and his famous lightsaber there is a character of real complexion and unpredictability. I didn't know much about Driver before Star Wars but he brings an awful lot to this film, he is absolutely brilliant and had me on the edge of my seat in every scene he was in.

The wait for this film was a long one, the wait for Episode 8 is going to be excruciating after finally seeing The Force Awakens. I hoped it would be a worthy addition to the story told in the original trilogy and it definitely achieved that and so much more for me, its an enthralling introduction to this new chapter and I can't wait to see what else Lucasfilm has in store. There are a couple of vague hints of the mysteries yet to unfold and plenty of room left to explore the newer characters but this is as good a start as I could have ever hoped for and as a lifelong Star Wars fan I'm just absolutely delighted with what I saw tonight, it was truly an amazing experience from beginning to end.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Wah. My movie that will make me 10s of millions of dollars won't be shown for 2 weeks in one very specific theater. Wah. How horrible for him.
are you even reading what you're writing?
Disney pretty much splattered Star Wars on every single area/cinema.
And they want total SATURATION. kinda like killing other options to get the mighty $$$.

Nah. I'll pass. I'm not gonna cry for a multimillionaire film nerd because his most favorite theater won't show his big budget movie.
theiswrongwithyou_hannibal.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom