A Spirited Perfect Ten

tribbleorlfl

But if you are vaccinated, you could swim in a pool inundated with measles the luck a toilet seat festooned with measles and be just fine.
Not quite true, as MMR is roughly 95% effective after the first dose and 99% after the second. Some people who are vaccinated fail to have the appropriate immune response, or their immunity wanes over time, and they still can get the measles.

This is why herd immunity is so important and why the *electively* unvaccinated are a danger to public health. In addition, there are those who are medically unable to be vaccinated or are two young.

Lee

Adventurer
When you have these asides... this is the relationship I can't get out of my head..
maxresdefault.jpg
Yep...I had one of those sweet hats....:cool:

tribbleorlfl

I'm irritated by the anti-vaccination movement as much as the next person (well, probably more), but in terms of Medical Neglect it is fairly mild. I see it in part as a failure of the medical community to appeal to a subset of the population, the very small odds of contracting a vaccine preventable illness and "Dr. Google" that makes everyone think they are qualified to debate medical advice...

Despite the death sentence, I agree, inherent choice should never be denied...

In the end, all movements must face the muster and that's what is finally happening with vaccinations. America runs on fear after all - and finally the scales have tipped back in favour of rationality. Let's not demonize some of the misguided parents who were just trying to do right by their children in the process though.
Out of respect for spirit (who requested no more non-Disney measles discussion), I will make this my final general AV comment.

I agree with you, the majority of AV parents probably want what's best for their children and want to shield them from harm. The problem is, they've placing their faith in charlatans who have their own agenda instead of the overwhelming majority of scientists and medical professionals. They refuse to listen to logic, reason and facts (probably because doing so would require them to acknowledge they've risked their children' safety), and that ignorance not only places their children in harm's way, but also other's in society that have no input in that decision.

The AV problem is not a failure on the part of the medical community because this subset does not believe a word modern medicine says. No amount of marketing or "white glove" messaging is going to get these people to abandon chiropractors, homeopathy, naturopathy, osteopaths, reiki healers or witch doctors. No, only society openly rejecting their views, governments strengthening vaccine laws and (sadly) wide-spread outbreaks the AV community will do that.

tribbleorlfl

Please, please, please ... Can we not turn this into an 11-page tangent on the anti-vaccine crazies? If you want to talk about Disney's role, fine. But the whole movement? Elsewhere ...
I asked this in the Disneyland Measles thread I started in the DL forum, but what exactly is the implication to TWDC here?

I mean, between the international visitors and local passholders, DL is essentially a petri dish of disease. I'm frankly surprised something like this hasn't happened before.

Considering the measles virus is as infectious as it is because it can live for up to 2 hours in the air and contact surfaces, if Disney truly cares about the wellbeing if their guests, will they commit to better air filtration systems or more frequent sanitizing on the attractions?

Can they deny entry, or kick out, a guest that is visibly ill?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The basic takeaway here is Parks and Resorts assets are wearing out faster than they are being replaced because of the abysmal level of maintenance CAPEX, This is how we got to the dead bulbs at the GF and Main Street, PoTC being down frequently and of course the Yeti

I agree as long as the numbers look good to the Street, TWDC does not care any longer

fosse76

No ripping, just sadness.
Even with Disney Springs and Pandora construction ongoing, capex is an ungodly low 7.4% of revenue. This is getting into Six Flags territory.
I have to respond, since this is the second time I've seen you make this reference. The problem I have with the above statement is its implication that Six Flags does not invest in its parks, which is far from true. Six Flags adds a significant number of rides to its properties every year or two. This year for instance will a large number of installations as well. However, as we all know, Six Flags isn't really into a themeing, which for Disney and Universal is the bulk of the cost for each attraction. And that's not to say that rides that Six Flags builds are of less quality or less safe. Six Flags is more about thrills (and these days, massive product placement in the parks). If the thrill factor is there, no one will care about the theme.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
They could retire them, but I believe it is common practice to put them in treasury. I don't have any figures on that though. It also isn't surprising given the company pays executives largely in shares.
There is very little reason to actually retire shares that are reacquired. Doing so means that the company will bump up against authorized shares a little sooner that it otherwise would, creating a need for a shareholder vote to authorize more shares.

JediMasterMatt

I'm back from a week at the World and what I experienced is exactly what I expected (good and bad). Here's some random thoughts on things:

- MM+/FP+ continues to be the boat anchor that is dragging the resort down. The long term trickle down impact to Cast Member morale is really disheartening. I spoke to many long time contacts at the resort that have mentioned that they've personally given up on seeing any light at the end of the tunnel with this project. They really feel hamstrung on how to help guests out with their everyday problems with the technology. When MM+ has issues, there really isn't much the Cast Members can do to fix it aside from resorting to "manual" methods of trying to fix the issue (like letting guests into lines when a single MagicBand fails to register in a party or writing down the Band's ID number and manually trying to input the information at a restaurant).
- Simple little things with the Band that are easy to fix/improve aren't happening. Ergonomic things like: the vertically placed sensor in the parking lot gate at the resort make it virtually impossible to get your band against it while driving a car or the ever popular Band reader at checkout at stores and snack carts. Gotta love sticking your arm out to hit the sensor and then not being able to see if it registers because your arm is blocking the light up ring. Both items are things that I've suggested a month after the system went live.
- Also nice is the need to carry around your Premier Pass and ID because the Band can't track that information or simply they don't want to use the band as proof of identification. I guess if it's good enough to get you into your room with your personal items and change things to your credit card it isn't good enough for the small discount still offered to passholders.
- Magic Kingdom is a MESS. Master strategy at its best. Get new parade for the first time in a decade... then close down the majority of the viewing locations along Main Street and the Hub and sit back and watch the fun unfurl. I witnessed many an argument as people were trying to find a place to watch from. Bad planning exasperated by the extended duration of the Hub refurb project. Also, MK is bursting at the seams. All those guests, not enough attractions for them to be in line for, FP+ pulling people out of lines and dumping them into the streets, the streets congested by construction and you have gridlock. Oh well, I'm sure they can keep making the streets wider and wider to cram some more guests in.
- Wishes was missing the "face" shaped burst all week; but, the hearts were still there. Hopefully, just a temp supply issue and not another cut.
- Celebrate the Magic did not switch over to the Valentine's Day version as it had done in previous years during the later part of the week. I guess they didn't want to cut the newly added Frozen segment.
- EPCOT, well, it was open. Maelstrom is still closed; but, other than the change/reduction in entertainment offerings, it was in the shape as my last visit.
- Illuminations looked great with new lasers and lights. Still needs a bit more color added back to the pyro and I do miss the screaming shells during the last part of Act II.
- DHS, well, it was open. Now featuring even less to do than ever before.
- AK, well, it was open. Pandora is now able to be seen from the parking lot. Construction walls everywhere once you are inside. The new Lion King area is fantastic. Also, the new cast is great and we went back multiple times over the course of the week. Easily the most entertaining show on property.
- Down I-4, Universal is still cruising along. Kong is getting surface details added. Gringotts was running more consistently than it was in November (which was still pretty good). Dragon's Challenge was running faster than it had in years (it had mostly the hard compound wheels on). The only negative is the same thing I've been on them about for years - their disability practices are HORRIBLE. The most common thing you will hear at Uni if you are with someone with a disability is "I'm sorry, we are out of wheelchairs" at each attraction. It's an easy thing to do when your attraction can pump 2000+ guests an hour and you have 5 wheelchairs for it. You do the math.

Thanks for the rundown. I like what you said, but can't like the post because I fundamentally disagree with your assertion that a fifth gate is needed. It's about the only thing where I think you go off the rails a bit.

No, what is needed is expansions at all four parks and significant new attractions at every park that isn't named MK to drive traffic to the other gates and so those parks are not over-burdened.

Vacation time isn't increasing in the USA. Further cannibalizing your business makes no financial sense. And why would you add another gate when you have huge swaths of land that can be developed and/or repurposed?

Agreed. A 5th gate with the same philosophy of management regarding capacity would be the worst thing possible. What is needed is a 5th (and 6th by TDO's standards) worth of rides and attractions dumped into AK, DHS, and EPCOT. Pull guests away from MK and hold them there all day.

Cesar R M

Thanks for the rundown. I like what you said, but can't like the post because I fundamentally disagree with your assertion that a fifth gate is needed. It's about the only thing where I think you go off the rails a bit.

No, what is needed is expansions at all four parks and significant new attractions at every park that isn't named MK to drive traffic to the other gates and so those parks are not over-burdened.

Vacation time isn't increasing in the USA. Further cannibalizing your business makes no financial sense. And why would you add another gate when you have huge swaths of land that can be developed and/or repurposed?

As to the hotel occupancy, 89% is indeed very healthy, but is there a breakdown between Anaheim and Orlando? And look at how many rooms were out of inventory at WDW with major rehabs at BW, BC, Poly, WLV and CBR all taking place in 2014 ...
So, Do you think the occupation numbers were "cooked" with all the renovations, rooms out of inventory and DVC inflation?

Cesar R M

You missed my whole point Cesar. The point was to the person that hasn't done their research (I'm talking about real research, not something just done randomly on the web.) Penn and Teller are no more experts in the field then the celebrity that is against vaccinations. They are also just entertainers therefore have credibility only with fans not necessarily with the scientific community. I believe that I also said that I agree with them, but, in the vast world of the internet.... how do you choose who to believe. Go someplace serious and irrefutable, not listen to a comic act on You-Tube.
KnkJkpk.gif

Out of respect for spirit (who requested no more non-Disney measles discussion), I will make this my final general AV comment.

I agree with you, the majority of AV parents probably want what's best for their children and want to shield them from harm. The problem is, they've placing their faith in charlatans who have their own agenda instead of the overwhelming majority of scientists and medical professionals. They refuse to listen to logic, reason and facts (probably because doing so would require them to acknowledge they've risked their children' safety), and that ignorance not only places their children in harm's way, but also other's in society that have no input in that decision.

The AV problem is not a failure on the part of the medical community because this subset does not believe a word modern medicine says. No amount of marketing or "white glove" messaging is going to get these people to abandon chiropractors, homeopathy, naturopathy, osteopaths, reiki healers or witch doctors. No, only society openly rejecting their views, governments strengthening vaccine laws and (sadly) wide-spread outbreaks the AV community will do that.

the saddest part is, like religion and politics. The more you show real hard facts to these people, the more they reject the real thing. Its like they cling further to the incorrect choice.
I sometimes wonder the logic failure in some human beings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom