A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I'm hopeful that it’ll be of much greater substance than Springfield. And I'm sorry, the what Must Not Be Named now?
Springfield is definitely up there with level of theming. Everything right down to the color of Moe's tavern is enough to make a Simpsons fan gush. Lots of inside humor and nods to specific episodes. Hollywood's version is even cooler because their lack of room let universal creative to be extremely... creative.

Last edited:

bhg469

That's an exaggeration. From the concept art the track probably would've added an additional minute at most. There was one other scene and an outdoor scene of the dwarves crossing a log.

There were track layouts posted here that showed significantly more length . If the ride was 10 Seconds longer it would be better so a minute would be a blessing. The coaster is not what makes the ride good, it's the show scenes, adding more is always better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed. DA is right there.

Hey, we agree! Let's go have a beer!

Where and When you there for the Marathon?

Seriously much of WDW is still amazing what I object to is how the parks are being run 'on the cheap' since Iger took over. Look at Frozen for example Frozen DESERVES a land of it's own (Like the one WDI pitched for WDW which swiftly got shot down by Burbank yet OLC is building it) What's needed is a people eater E-ticket and Burbank builds FrozStrom.

I don't really want to rehash why I think Avatar is a bad idea other than it has no cultural impact, But Avatar's magic was in the visuals - if that is not carried through lets just say the land will be a failure.

flyerjab

Where and When you there for the Marathon?

Seriously much of WDW is still amazing what I object to is how the parks are being run 'on the cheap' since Iger took over. Look at Frozen for example Frozen DESERVES a land of it's own (Like the one WDI pitched for WDW which swiftly got shot down by Burbank yet OLC is building it) What's needed is a people eater E-ticket and Burbank builds FrozStrom.

I don't really want to rehash why I think Avatar is a bad idea other than it has no cultural impact, But Avatar's magic was in the visuals - if that is not carried through lets just say the land will be a failure.

I unfortunately will not be there for the marathon. We both visit WDW enough, though, that we still might run into each other at some point. :)

Regarding the visuals; it is the one thing about this project that I have no doubt will simply amaze. And we can keep the discussion to this topic, as we are at opposite ends of the spectrum regarding the IP being used. :cool: The level of construction already with this project, as witnessed by the overhead shots, is massive and complex. What is good to know is that Rohde is behind this, so I expect the level of theming and detail - in both the land and the AAs within - to be at the highest of levels. I just don't see them dropping the ball with the visual impact of this expansion when you see what was done with Africa and Asia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I unfortunately will not be there for the marathon. We both visit WDW enough, though, that we still might run into each other at some point. :)

Regarding the visuals; it is the one thing about this project that I have no doubt will simply amaze. And we can keep the discussion to this topic, as we are at opposite ends of the spectrum regarding the IP being used. :cool: The level of construction already with this project, as witnessed by the overhead shots, is massive and complex. What is good to know is that Rohde is behind this, so I expect the level of theming and detail - in both the land and the AAs within - to be at the highest of levels. I just don't see them dropping the ball with the visual impact of this expansion when you see what was done with Africa and Asia.

All I can say is I hope you are correct and I'm wrong. WDW is in desperate need of AWESOME instead of 'barely good enough'

rael ramone

What is all of this going to cost us?

Stuff is coming. Big stuff. Little stuff. Stuff most of us have the potential to get excited about. Stuff some of us don't want and actually is a net negative. Stuff that will open soon. Stuff that will take a long while.

So, what is all of this going to cost us?

There are many ways they will extract the 'cost' from us.

Higher admission prices (possibly 'gouge' prices that only maintain the current high prices in the dregs of the off-season (Jan & Sept) and put price increases on steroids for the rest of the year). Higher prices for merch & food & lodging.

But they can also extract a 'cost' from us by cutting back in other areas. Maintenance. Cleanliness. Comfort (lack of adequate AC in many locations that aren't stores). Squeezing the CM's further, lowering their morale and potentially providing 'reduced' service. Using MM(-) to Ration Magic. Further 'festivalizing' Epcot to bring in more drunks to more times of the year. Trading down in street entertainment. Trading down in food quality, deleting high end food items due to DDP. 'Seasonalizing' attractions, monorail, etc. Lower quality merchandise.

But much of what we talk about in this thread is about $DIS as a whole. ESPN and it's outsized piece of the revenue pie and threat of cord cutting. Star Wars and the gigantic expectations it has. The Shanghai Shenanigans. (And one I don't think has been mentioned here yet, Chris Bermans harassment settlement - @PhotoDave219 has said there's a lot more of that in Bristol). Things that, great or small, can or have had an effect on the stock price. And being a company where the Street demands growth, growth, and more growth - where does that growth come from if ESPN brings less & SW 'misses earnings' (those who follow The Street know breaking records can mean little if you miss estimates - it can be said when SW7 leaves theatres if it doesn't make Avatar money it will 'miss earnings').

Again, what will the above cost us as parkgoers?

DDLand

I guess I was unaware of this. Care to elaborate, or post a link to more information?
It's going to be much like Aquatopia... But on land.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...perience-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

We'll see how it turns out. The older attraction really suffered from criticism and internal push to get it through. According to Micechat even Iger was unimpressed.

@NobodyElse I see your second question. According to MiceChat it will be using a version of the tech that powers its trackless siblings in Paris and Hong Kong. It will be WiFi based.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
*Spits out drink and double takes a look at the post and forum member who wrote it*

:eek:

Surprise

I bash the way the place is run because I remember when AWESOME was the norm and the place was clean and well maintained, To see what's gone downhill in the last 5 years is simply heartbreaking to me. Simply put I want WDW to live up to the standards it set for ITSELF in the 70's through the early 00's. Anything less is simply unacceptable.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There were track layouts posted here that showed significantly more length . If the ride was 10 Seconds longer it would be better so a minute would be a blessing. The coaster is not what makes the ride good, it's the show scenes, adding more is always better.

Exactly - this was never a 'Thrill' ride this was a ride in a mine car which just happens to sway slightly (you need it to so you can empty it at the end) but the longer track and additional show scenes would have made it an E-ticket

Current version lacks re-rideability. at the end you think 'is that all there is' so it's not satisfying to ride either and the fact that its sized for the average asian does not help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom