A Spirited Perfect Ten

John

Seen an article on Yahoo that brought up the point why Luke isn't shown on the poster......Speculation is Luke could be Kylo Ren. Now that's interesting.

Cesar R M

It kinda is. Superweapon plots are overdone in Star Wars, especially in the EU Disney just dumped. If I had a dollar for every mediocre novel where the authors tried making up something scarier then the Death Star, I could have bought Lucasfilm.
technically, the older expanded universe had ultra weapons every big arc.
Anyone remembers the remote planet destroyer?

Cesar R M

The limit of the Hubble is due to design, dimensions etc. that could not be changed with a simple upgrade. Lenses and mirrors are closer to infinite than film. As you said film has a grain and is very similar to the megapixel structure of a sensor. You would need a powerful microscope to see the grain in the optics.
disagree again. The information came from Discovery channel in an special about hubble.
The mirrors and optics were definitively limited. (hence why its successor has a multi mirror design with way bigger surface)

HMF

You're exactly right and it really is plain as day. It's an echo of "A New Hope" with a few additional wrinkles.

Considering the disaster that was the Prequel Trilogy, it's not really a bad choice.
So in other words don't do anything original just re-hash the same story as before. God forbid we get any pesky new ideas.

HMF

To be fair, the outside of our military jet aircraft hasn't changed that much since 1970's and that was 45 years ago.
But...I get your point.
This is 19 years prior to the Original X-Wing.

latest

Here's the classic X-wing
X-Wing-Fighter_47c7c342.jpeg

and 30 years after that.
images

Jones14

This is 19 years prior to the Original X-Wing.

latest

Here's the classic X-wing
X-Wing-Fighter_47c7c342.jpeg

and 30 years after that.
images
I mean, to be fair, the Rebellion is still way behind The Empire/First Order when it comes to technology. The Tie Fighters we've seen are all shiny and new in comparison to their original incarnations, which makes sense because the First Order would reasonably have a lot more funding for research and development, as well as an incentive to try to out-tech the Rebels (who routinely blow up their shiny new toys with older ships).

It also works from a branding perspective. Now that everyone knows the Empire was on the wrong side, the Rebels can capitalize on the familiarity of their starships, especially since they've proven to hold up well against the Empire's ships. On the flip side, the First Order can brand themselves as being an evolved version of the Empire by modifying their ships, essentially saying, "Yeah, we were the bad guys, but we're getting it right this time, and we have shiny new uniforms and ships to prove it."

That's without mentioning that X-Wings in particular are described as being constantly tweaked to maximize their performance levels.

lazyboy97o

'Thats my biggest criticism of the new films. we are supposed to believe In 30 years technology has barely changed.
One of the monorail threads had a breakdown of the average age of several of the large airlines. Plenty of them are flying planes that are nearing that age. Airlines in less economically developed countries fly even older planes. Even with successive models the exterior of aircraft doesn't change radically.

Last edited:

misterID

So in other words don't do anything original just re-hash the same story as before. God forbid we get any pesky new ideas.
Don't believe the hype... Anyone who thinks they know what's going to happen doesn't. There will be new ideas, they spent a long time working on it, but it will be a faithful continuation of the original trilogy.

It never ceases to amaze me people are getting annoyed that they're not using any original ideas and it's just a new hope rehash when they don't even know what the plot is!

There is a reason they have kept this thing in total secrecy... Like they're protecting some things story, character and plot-wise.

hopemax

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom