A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rodan75

Heard on the radio this morning:

ESPN's layoffs are targeting six figure earners, and HR from Burbank is flying in to help with the housecleaning.

That's probably good news. Slimming down Director and VP management layers is almost a good and smart thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to move their HQ to a cheaper town in the next few years. ESPN has wasted their autonomy on corporate bloat, the mothership is coming in to correct things.

CaptainAmerica

I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to move their HQ to a cheaper town in the next few years.
Things are moving to Bristol, not away, from places like California and New York. There are now a large number of Connecticut employees who work for Disney corporate, not ESPN. They just finished a gigantic new studio building. Nothing is moving.

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/tag/digital-center-2/

rael ramone

That's probably good news. Slimming down Director and VP management layers is almost a good and smart thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to move their HQ to a cheaper town in the next few years. ESPN has wasted their autonomy on corporate bloat, the mothership is coming in to correct things.

A quote from the Hartford Courant (not far from Bristol):

Employment in Connecticut has continued to increase despite the 2013 layoffs, and even a layoff in the hundreds of people would probably still leave ESPN in compliance with a deal under which it received $10 million in state aid when it built its $175 million Digital Center 2, which opened in 2014.

I'm guessing the Bristol HQ is safe. And due to a covenant w/ the state, they need to lay off a smaller amount of high paid staff as opposed to a larger amount of lower paid since it appears that they are required to keep a certain staffing level in state. Though with Burbank involved it looks like people who would be safe if Bristol made the call alone won't be. Perhaps long term staff that were there from day one?

Though on the radio they were guessing about 'on-air' talent seeing pink slips.

Cesar R M

Film resolution is infinite.
source?

I've seen many articles and there is no "infinite".
Depends on the film quality and the grain.

like any physical.. It all depends on the film build and its materials. You cant go smaller infinitely. There is always limitations.

The optics may be (or may approximate) infinite, but I'm trying to work out how you're packing infinite bandwidth onto the film itself.

optics are definitively not infinite.

Check the info about the Hubble camera.. the last upgrade was the "last" because the camera sensor reached the limit of the resolving resolution of the mirrors/lenses.

CinematicFusion

The new Star Wars trailer and poster gives me a feeling J.J. is telling a re-imagined take on A New Hope.
Thoughts and speculation, no spoilers (I have no idea about the plot of this film. All based on poster and trailers)

1. Rey plays the character taking the hero's journey much like luke did in ANH.
2. She is living? on a re-imagined tatooine. Was she placed there to protect her? Does she know who she is and doesn't want any part of it? I'm assuming she has skywalker blood in those veins.
3. Han solo once again plays the guide from myth. This time instead of taking obi-wan and luke to Alderann, he is taking Rey to Luke Skywalker?
4. Interesting Solo in ANH gives the speech about how he doesn't belive in the Force on the Falcon, and in the same location gives a speech about how it's all true. Great contrast.
5. In the poster I see what looks like a new death star/planet turned into a death star? Are they once again going to destroy the supper weapon?
6. Finn escaping in a tie fighter to a dessert planet (does he have information he can share?)
R2D2/C3P0 escaping in a pod to the dessert planet.
7. General Hux/ Grand Moff Tarkin
8. Kylo Ren/Darth Vader
9. Ships have about the same look at ANH
10. Rebel base has that ANH feel. (at least what we have seen in the trailers.)

We shall see.

NormC

source?

I've seen many articles and there is no "infinite".
Depends on the film quality and the grain.

like any physical.. It all depends on the film build and its materials. You cant go smaller infinitely. There is always limitations.

optics are definitively not infinite.

Check the info about the Hubble camera.. the last upgrade was the "last" because the camera sensor reached the limit of the resolving resolution of the mirrors/lenses.
The limit of the Hubble is due to design, dimensions etc. that could not be changed with a simple upgrade. Lenses and mirrors are closer to infinite than film. As you said film has a grain and is very similar to the megapixel structure of a sensor. You would need a powerful microscope to see the grain in the optics.

ChrisM

The new Star Wars trailer and poster gives me a feeling J.J. is telling a re-imagined take on A New Hope.
Thoughts and speculation, no spoilers (I have no idea about the plot of this film. All based on poster and trailers)

1. Rey plays the character taking the hero's journey much like luke did in ANH.
2. She is living? on a re-imagined tatooine. Was she placed there to protect her? Does she know who she is and doesn't want any part of it? I'm assuming she has skywalker blood in those veins.
3. Han solo once again plays the guide from myth. This time instead of taking obi-wan and luke to Alderann, he is taking Rey to Luke Skywalker?
4. Interesting Solo in ANH gives the speech about how he doesn't belive in the Force on the Falcon, and in the same location gives a speech about how it's all true. Great contrast.
5. In the poster I see what looks like a new death star/planet turned into a death star? Are they once again going to destroy the supper weapon?
6. Finn escaping in a tie fighter to a dessert planet (does he have information he can share?)
R2D2/C3P0 escaping in a pod to the dessert planet.
7. General Hux/ Grand Moff Tarkin
8. Kylo Ren/Darth Vader
9. Ships have about the same look at ANH
10. Rebel base has that ANH feel. (at least what we have seen in the trailers.)

We shall see.

You're exactly right and it really is plain as day. It's an echo of "A New Hope" with a few additional wrinkles.

Considering the disaster that was the Prequel Trilogy, it's not really a bad choice.

FigmentJedi

You're exactly right and it really is plain as day. It's an echo of "A New Hope" with a few additional wrinkles.

Considering the disaster that was the Prequel Trilogy, it's not really a bad choice.
It kinda is. Superweapon plots are overdone in Star Wars, especially in the EU Disney just dumped. If I had a dollar for every mediocre novel where the authors tried making up something scarier then the Death Star, I could have bought Lucasfilm.

ChrisM

It kinda is. Superweapon plots are overdone in Star Wars, especially in the EU Disney just dumped. If I had a dollar for every mediocre novel where the authors tried making up something scarier then the Death Star, I could have bought Lucasfilm.

I understand that critique from a storytelling perspective, but considering their goal is to wrap up a new generation of fans to buy toys, going with the tried-and-true approach is sound.

FigmentJedi

I understand that critique from a storytelling perspective, but considering their goal is to wrap up a new generation of fans to buy toys, going with the tried-and-true approach is sound.
The new generation also grew up with The Clone Wars which *gasp* is rooted in the Prequels. Even the current Star Wars Rebels show leans heavily on the prequel era.

The Force Awakens is being sold more to the older generation that hasn't gotten over the Phantom Menace and points to "Le Funny Wheelchair Man" on YouTube instead of forming their own arguments on why that film was this childhood destroying abomination while in contrast, the Godzilla and DC fandoms have moved on from their own respective 90s traumas.

CinematicFusion

we shall see. Visually this superweapon looks cool. I'm assuming its the ice planet.

well, judging by the trailer and the Poster. It looks like the planet is another Death Star complete with it's own trench run. At least that looks like a trench opening up in the planet. Wonder if this time the First Order wins. I mean you can't go 0 for 3 in death star battle. :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You nailed it I think this is not about rebooting the franchise it's about selling toys which if the film is good will sell themselves but I think we will see a CGI heavy toy ad ala Michael Bay

ULPO46

You nailed it I think this is not about rebooting the franchise it's about selling toys which if the film is good will sell themselves but I think we will see a CGI heavy toy ad ala Michael Bay
Or like Star Trek. God I hope it's not another Star Trek Reboot. Sure the original Spock was in there but barely made an impact in the cast. Like others have been saying it's an echo to ANH and to be honest I want to leave those classics alone. I hope they make a good explanation as to what happened after the Battle over Endor because the canon books literally destroyed my views on star wars. As for the two new leads, I hope they aren't brother and sister because that wouldn't be original what so ever. I didn't even recall seeing Luke in the trailer did anyone see him? I just saw Han Solo and a millisecond of Princess, probably by now, Queen Leia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A quote from the Hartford Courant (not far from Bristol):

I'm guessing the Bristol HQ is safe. And due to a covenant w/ the state, they need to lay off a smaller amount of high paid staff as opposed to a larger amount of lower paid since it appears that they are required to keep a certain staffing level in state. Though with Burbank involved it looks like people who would be safe if Bristol made the call alone won't be. Perhaps long term staff that were there from day one?

Though on the radio they were guessing about 'on-air' talent seeing pink slips.

Why would a Sports broadcast network need on air talent??? The WDW disease is spreading to ESPN because 'the subscribers will always' be there just like WDW guests will always come.

This is why corporate America is so disliked a company can be making drug dealer profits ànd it will resort to mass layoffs to make some analysts happy

ULPO46

Why would a Sports broadcast network need on air talent??? The WDW disease is spreading to ESPN because 'the subscribers will always' be there just like WDW guests will always come.

This is why corporate America is so disliked a company can be making drug dealer profits ànd it will resort to mass layoffs to make some analysts happy
Even though people will call you crazy you are so right. The only reason why I watch ESPN is so I can root for FSU. other than that I could care less and despise the high cost of it on my television package. Just like WDW you can make the price 1 trillion dollars and people "Will always find a way" to save enough to visit the wonderful world of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom