A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought about simply ignoring @Expo_Seeker40 's post about the Walt Disney Birthplace because I, indeed, consider many folks at that site, but especially Todd and Norm, to be friends and the subject makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I have actually talked to a few individuals about the project of late, in broad terms. No, I didn't solicit donors just feelings about it. Let's be clear about that.

I got an earful, but the most resounding comment, from someone in the entertainment business, was simply ''Why is it that neither the family nor the company are willing to pony up what would be a tiny sum for either?''

I can't answer that. I do know that I had never heard the place even being mentioned until it appeared on Micechat and then Dusty/Todd going to work for the couple who bought the place.

Is it historically significant? You can certainly argue that. I tend to think it was Walt's formative years in Marceline that defined who he was and came to be. You could argue that the urinals at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank are important because 'Walt used them after buying a BLT for the Shermans while they were writing music for Mary Poppins.'

I just don't know.

Also, the sum of money they are looking for is, by real world standards, very small. All of the consultants and Imagineers are of the level whee you'd think they could easily put some of their own money where their mouths are and get the house renovated. Roy Patrick Disney has, apparently, given his support and, frankly, if your last name is Disney then you can find $500,000 in your sofa cushions. So, why do they even need fan money?

Kickstarter?

That's what you do if you are a Lifestyler and want the fan community to finance a new computer, laptop, tablet, iPhone, auto etc. Instead of getting a job or selling some of your Disney crap to finance it.

Again, it's not that anything is wrong here, but it is all about appearances.

This weekend, Micechat is celebrating its tenth anniversary and will have all sorts of Disney luminaries around the resort for the festivities. These folks can flat out afford $500,000, some likely on their own.

I also have a hard time getting past this nagging feeling that the house will wind up being a second home for its owners with tours available every second Tuesday of the month from 2 p.m. To 4 p.m. If arranged online in advance.

asianway

I thought about simply ignoring @Expo_Seeker40 's post about the Walt Disney Birthplace because I, indeed, consider many folks at that site, but especially Todd and Norm, to be friends and the subject makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I have actually talked to a few individuals about the project of late, in broad terms. No, I didn't solicit donors just feelings about it. Let's be clear about that.

I got an earful, but the most resounding comment, from someone in the entertainment business, was simply ''Why is it that neither the family nor the company are willing to pony up what would be a tiny sum for either?''

I can't answer that. I do know that I had never heard the place even being mentioned until it appeared on Micechat and then Dusty/Todd going to work for the couple who bought the place.

Is it historically significant? You can certainly argue that. I tend to think it was Walt's formative years in Marceline that defined who he was and came to be. You could argue that the urinals at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank are important because 'Walt used them after buying a BLT for the Shermans while they were writing music for Mary Poppins.'

I just don't know.

Also, the sum of money they are looking for is, by real world standards, very small. All of the consultants and Imagineers are of the level whee you'd think they could easily put some of their own money where their mouths are and get the house renovated. Roy Patrick Disney has, apparently, given his support and, frankly, if your last name is Disney then you can find $500,000 in your sofa cushions. So, why do they even need fan money?

Kickstarter?

That's what you do if you are a Lifestyler and want the fan community to finance a new computer, laptop, tablet, iPhone, auto etc. Instead of getting a job or selling some of your Disney **** to finance it.

Again, it's not that anything is wrong here, but it is all about appearances.

This weekend, Micechat is celebrating its tenth anniversary and will have all sorts of Disney luminaries around the resort for the festivities. These folks can flat out afford $500,000, some likely on their own.

I also have a hard time getting past this nagging feeling that the house will wind up being a second home for its owners with tours available every second Tuesday of the month from 2 p.m. To 4 p.m. If arranged online in advance.
I've only known one person to actually set up a non for profit and do it the right way in the Disney community. And even that ended up dicey. Sure @71jason knows what I'm talking about.

Bottom line, unless you know someone personally don't give them money.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok so I think it's all agreed that after iger, that his replacement should be an outsider of TWDC, but besides park expansion and quality entertainment and hiring on more maintenance crews, what does the successor have to do to right the ship and get back on track? How do you correct course now that TWDC is a multimedia conglomerate that has lost its way?

I don't believe in giving free consulting to TWDC in the hopes that they'll toss me a real contract (that they'll actually honor as they've been known to not live up to their words when convenient), so I won't answer this with anything substantive. Hope you understand.

But I'd go back to what always worked: innovating (assuming they are still capable). I'd have faith in my employees and give them the tools and funds to be successful.

I'd stop having and showing outright contempt for my cast and guests.

And I'd make sure that everything we did was something that lived up to our standards and legacy.

When you get the basics right, you find that everything else is a whole lot easier to accomplish.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Would love to hear your opinion on the the Tomorrowland trailer and upcoming movie. I think the trailers are nailing it. They are well done and are really pulling me in. I also enjoyed the Optimist hunt and app release that led up to these trailers. Of course, I wish there was more. Maybe an optimist round II leading up to release.

I am wondering how this movie will affect the park. What do you think? Maybe a related new or updated attraction? I hope the movie does well, it really plays to what I enjoy most about WDW. Futureism, Epcot.

I'll be in town a week prior to the release of the movie and hope that Disney has some related events planned.

Ahem. . . first post.

Welcome.

I'm (very) cautiously hopeful about the film. Some of it definitely is similar to the direction they are going for SDL's Tomorrowland.

But trailers are just brief snippets ...

tirian

Isn't Joshua Tree National Park just otherworldly?!? Spectacular vistas out there.

There are some truly breathtaking National and State Parks a few hours drive from Disneyland. Cars Land is amazing, but can't hold a candle to stuff like this a few hours drive away...
yosemite_valley_wallpaper_landscape_nature_wallpaper_1920_1200_widescreen_1220.jpg

40267_un_passaggio_particolare_sequoia_national_park.jpg

Theme parks are wonderful, but my God, put those kids in the car and drive somewhere truly remarkable! A vacation to California where one only sees theme parks and movie studios should be criminal, especially if children are involved in the trip. And take away their iPads when you get there!
I would "like" this 100 times if I could.

TalkingHead

While I would love to visit every Disney Park, mainly as a "reason" to visit all the countries they are located in, visiting each National Park is my husband's and my actual "bucket list" goal. Alaska is a problem, as well as American Samoa, so we may make it a Continental USA goal.

We have both visited: Olympic, Mount Rainier, North Cascades, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Channel Islands, Haleakala, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest and Saguaro. (15)

And I have been to Teddy Roosevelt, Wind Cave and Badlands and my husband has been to Glacier, Redwood, and Crater Lake.

Still have a lot of work to do, but since we live out West, there are several parks that we should be able to hit fairly easily.

You're in for a treat when you visit Big Bend in West Texas. It's in the middle of nowhere, gorgeous desert scenery. Highly recommend staying at the lodge/hotel in the park in the Chisos Mountains.

WDW1974

Original Poster
With all the hype about Disneyland's 60th and the upcoming WoC tribute to Walt Disney, I took particular interest that the owners of Micage have bought the the house in Chicago where Walt Disney was born in and they are seeking donations. I'm divided on them asking fans for help. The house is nothing like it was in 1901 and the Walt Disney Family Museum has never had interest in it.

If the property was so important, why has the Disney Family never tried to buy it or get it landmarked every time the house has been up for sale? It seems weird to me as the place has little connection to Walt and has changed so much over the years. Even if they can refurbish it or make it look like 1901, no one knows what was actually IN the house or how it looked in every room when Walt was born there. @marni1971 @WDW1974 @Lee @ParentsOf4 any thoughts on this?

Many famous people are born in a house and never grow up there. Wouldn't more of Walt's history be tied to Marceline and California?

It does make you wonder if the efforts in trying to rally the fan community wouldn't be better served for some other goal.

I don't see @wdwmagic buying a scrub field/farm in Kissimmee (probably is a strip center today!) because Elias and Flora once tiled the soil and dreamed of having kids (two who would go on to be known as Walt and Roy Disney)!

It seems like a lot of effort for something so small. But I admit to being torn ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If actual earnings suffer that's a different story. A major economic downturn impacting the parks or some big movie flops could hurt the stock price a lot. For the next 3 years before the weatherman moves on the company is planning to release 21 tentpole movies as opposed to the 13 they had the previous 3 years and those include some very likely hits like 3 Star Wars movies, multiple Marvel releases (Avaengers, Guardians 2, others) and some likely successful Pixar projects including sequels Finding Dory and Toy Story 4. All signs point towards a pretty nice 3 year run for Iger and Co. They could not buy a single share back over the next 3 years and if the economy stays good and the hit movies come through the stock won't miss a beat.

To your point on the Street punishing the company on reinvestment, I'm not sure thats totally true either. They do like the stock buybacks and increasing dividend, but the reaction to the DCA 2.0 project was pretty positive from analysts and nobody seems interested in questioning the magic band boondoggle. I would say as long as the earnings is solid and the hits keep coming analysts are not opposed to seeing theme park reinvestment.
[/quote][/QUOTE]

I'm staying away from the buybacks topic as I think no one here has a better understanding or grasp on it than MAGICal CFO @ParentsOf4 ...

I will agree that, providing we don't start another war or have a major economic disaster, Iger probably will keep looking great ... Or as great as a Teflon robot can.

As to the Street and reinvestment, you need to get a fundamental issue: it hates the theme park business and with a passion. All it sees is risk ...what if an earthquake sucks up New Orleans Square? What if a crazy guy blows himself up in Hogsmeade? What if a Category 5 hurricane nails Central Florida? Etc etc ...

Wall Street would much rather Disney and UNI license their parks, than own and operate them.

So, as to what they thought about DCA 2.0, well, they are happy because it worked (to quote dead Blondie on Lost). And analysts are constantly questioning Disney (not simply on earnings calls) on the two billion dollar plus boondoggle that is NGE.

They want as little investment in parks as possible. Period.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bottom line, unless you know someone personally don't give them money.

For an example of a kickstarter that could be seen in *somewhat* of a similar vein as this.. as it was 'fund an idea' that wasn't a 'get a product to market' was Papa.tv Check it out
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/papapinball/papa-tv-livestreaming-pinball

This was an example of community interest donating to get a project off the ground - a pure capital raising effort to fund the purchase of equipment so this idea could happen. Yes, the organization running it is technically a non-profit... but I use it as an example of a project people donate to simply to contribute to the idea..

Here's another example
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52228098/ann-arbor-pinball-museum-wants-to-open
This is another where people are funding the idea of getting the project running and open.

In both these cases, the people behind them were known to the community, and had proven track records they could make it happen. Both readily exceeded their goals and both came to fruition.

Not saying all projects are on the up and up and good ideas... but crowd sourcing can be very viable for both sides. The key like most projects is... execution. Having the people involved that know whats necessary and can see it through on plan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm staying away from the buybacks topic as I think no one here has a better understanding or grasp on it than MAGICal CFO @ParentsOf4 ...

I will agree that, providing we don't start another war or have a major economic disaster, Iger probably will keep looking great ... Or as great as a Teflon robot can.

As to the Street and reinvestment, you need to get a fundamental issue: it hates the theme park business and with a passion. All it sees is risk ...what if an earthquake sucks up New Orleans Square? What if a crazy guy blows himself up in Hogsmeade? What if a Category 5 hurricane nails Central Florida? Etc etc ...

Wall Street would much rather Disney and UNI license their parks, than own and operate them.

So, as to what they thought about DCA 2.0, well, they are happy because it worked (to quote dead Blondie on Lost). And analysts are constantly questioning Disney (not simply on earnings calls) on the two billion dollar plus boondoggle that is NGE.

They want as little investment in parks as possible. Period.
Fair point on the licensing. They would rather see a steady stream of cash.

I wish there was more questioning of the NGE spend and benefits. I think at this point people are just starting to look at it as a sunk cost and are moving on. I was looking forward to seeing the weatherman squirm a little more on those questions.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As to the Street and reinvestment, you need to get a fundamental issue: it hates the theme park business and with a passion. All it sees is risk ...what if an earthquake sucks up New Orleans Square? What if a crazy guy blows himself up in Hogsmeade? What if a Category 5 hurricane nails Central Florida? Etc etc ....

At what point (if ever) do they realize that they would not be profiting an insane amount of money from this empire that was built by a man with the exact opposite ideals as they currently employ? What on Earth will it take

Progress.City

@GoofGoof

Perhaps I'm not making my point clear, No Iger will not do anything stupid, But his buyback program is what is maintaining the current high stock price, A new CEO and Board would need to dial that program back IF they reinvest in the company which would immediately create pressure as EPS numbers would no longer have the advantage of a constantly diminishing number of shares.

With a relatively small cash reserve, A new board is going to have to raise cash for investment somehow and I don't see any scenarios where the stock price does not take a dive due to reduced 'profitability' now the company will be JUST as productive as it was before, Its that the profitability will not have the artificial boost of having around 110,000 millon shares repurchased each year.

I don't see a scenario where the 'Street does not punish TWDC for reinvesting in the business is all.
They could always use the repurchased stock to merge with other companies, like they did with Pixar and partially with LucasFilm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom