A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Disney is hiring Fifty Shades Of Grey screenwriter Kelly Marcel for a Live-Action "Cruella" movie.
http://www./2015/10/disney-taps-fif...r-kelly-marcel-for-live-action-cruella-movie/

Good grief. Is there any animated movie they aren't re-doing as live action? The Black Cauldron maybe?

What's really irking about Cruella is that they already did live action 101 Dalmatians movies focused on Cruella.

Cesar R M

Columbus did some real nasty stuff to some Native American tribes. Of course, said tribes also enslaved other tribes, practiced human sacrifice, and likely participated in cannibalism, so I'm not sure who we are supposed to be shedding tears for here, exactly.

Man will be be inhumane to his fellow man? When two technologically disparate cultures clash, the less technologically advanced culture faces certain doom? Shocking!

I'm relatively pleased that we aren't cutting out and eating people's hearts on a regular basis any longer. Similarly, I'm equally pleased we aren't enslaving entire populations, cutting of their hands, and hanging them around people's necks, or forcing them to convert their religion or face the sword (outside of the Middle East, at least). History is a bloody thing. I recommend enjoying the uniquely prosperous and relatively peaceful era we were all lucky enough to have been born into.
its not about what he did, but what he initiated.
He pretty much initiated the entire enslavement, abuse, and systematic massacre/genocide of natives in the "new world".

AEfx

And that line of argument means you are completely missing the point. It's not about the guy's name or who is a founder or not.. it's about the image and brand the company built and projected.. and what the audience got from that association.

Which is really why I find the whole discussion baffling, the more I think about it. The face of "Disney" was Michael Eisner when I was growing up - he was the one who hosted the ABC specials, he was front and center for everything. Heck he even sat and talked to Mickey like they were best pals.

Walt hasn't been central to anything for a very, very long time. Yet, somehow I know who he is, in spite of the fact that Eisner was the big cheese for my formative years.

Nubs70

Which is really why I find the whole discussion baffling, the more I think about it. The face of "Disney" was Michael Eisner when I was growing up - he was the one who hosted the ABC specials, he was front and center for everything. Heck he even sat and talked to Mickey like they were best pals.

Walt hasn't been central to anything for a very, very long time. Yet, somehow I know who he is, in spite of the fact that Eisner was the big cheese for my formative years.
All those that came after Walt are merely caretakers of the greater institution known as Walt Disney.

HMF

When has Bob Iger ever tried to be the face of the company? Iger is a corporate CEO not the kid of charismatic leader Walt or Eisner was and the Disney brand has lost a good chunk of it's identity because of that..

AEfx

When has Bob Iger ever tried to be the face of the company? Iger is a corporate CEO not the kid of charismatic leader Walt or Eisner was and the Disney brand has lost a good chunk of it's identity because of that..

Never said he did, /shrug.

I'd rather have him, though, than Mr. Fake Eisner who was all kisses and hugs and puppies on TV and a complete tyrant elsewhere when he took off the mask, who drove creative forces away en masse because of his terrible behavior and unprofessionalism.

Phil12

I'd rather have him, though, than Mr. Fake Eisner who was all kisses and hugs and puppies on TV and a complete tyrant elsewhere when he took off the mask, who drove creative forces away en masse because of his terrible behavior and unprofessionalism.
That sounds just like the behavior of Walt Disney himself. After the 1941 strike Walt also drove off creative forces in mass as a direct result of his unprofessional and illegal behavior. Perhaps Eisner was just emulating good ole Walt?

Did Eisner also go on a communist witch hunt and help destroy hundreds of careers in Hollywood?

PhotoDave219

That sounds just like the behavior of Walt Disney himself. After the 1941 strike Walt also drove off creative forces in mass as a direct result of his unprofessional and illegal behavior. Perhaps Eisner was just emulating good ole Walt?

Did Eisner also go on a communist witch hunt and help destroy hundreds of careers in Hollywood?

Phil..... I mean this seriously. I'm not trying to troll you.

Why are you a Disney fan?

HMF

I don't necessarily disagree with your criticisms of Eisner but as the Spirit has said, Iger has all of Eisner's bad traits but none of his good traits.

DDLand

I disagree slightly with your Eisner assessment. When he went out on television and essentially sold himself as a Walt Disney like figure or heir to the Empire, I think that destroys the clarity of the brand much more. Disney belongs to Walt Disney. Eisner and Iger are just stewards of the incredible legacy. Equating one's self with Walt Disney is as stupid as it is damaging.

When people consume Disney content, they should not be thinking of executive management. Iger will gone in a few years. Disney is timeless.

Phil12

Phil..... I mean this seriously. I'm not trying to troll you.

Why are you a Disney fan?
Probably for many of the same reasons that others are fans. I enjoy the parks, the movies and up until 1998 Donald Duck orange juice. But being a Disney fan doesn't require that I deify Walt Disney or delude myself into believing all of the Disney Studio's whitewash of Walt's horrendous business practices.

There's no doubt that he was a genius in the world of entertainment but he was also a very flawed man who was overly protected and indulged by his older brother Roy.

I have been a Disney fan since the days of Davy Crockett (and yes, I had a coonskin cap). I watched all the Disney shows on TV including the Mickey Mouse Club. I first visited Disneyland in 1968 and WDW in 1977. It was due to my trips to the parks over many years that I noticed something unusual that caused me to do a little research.

Back in those days they had tickets for the monorail. While riding the WDW monorail, I noticed in small print on the ticket it said something about a fee going to RETLAW. I wondered, what is RETLAW? After I found out what RETLAW was, I was amazed at how Walt had cut such an advantageous deal with the studio to pass on his fortune to his family. Did you know that the Disney family was still getting profits from Walt's name and the rail based attractions up until 1982? Walt was obviously more of a genius than I had thought!

Now of course, all of this research was long prior to the advent of the Internet. I had to use the old fashion way of using books. But the bottom line was that Walt had gotten such a great deal because his brother Roy was so darn indulgent and gave him most anything he wanted including highly questionable business arrangements.

However, just because Walt was unethical doesn't preclude me from enjoying his creations. You know Chuck Berry was a great musician and I still enjoy Johnny B. Goode and his many other hit songs. But Chuck was a scoundrel too. He was convicted of armed robbery and a couple of morality issues. But I still enjoy his music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom