A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Disney, the company, has been turning Walt into a character, not unlike a Colonel Sanders. You can only really go about that if you have the opportunity to make the case that Walt Disney, the man, is "problematic" and thus needs to be recontextualized as just some guy and not connected to the legacy of the modern day Disney Company and the BRAND. This is one of the key reasons why the fan community, and anyone who cares about history, should be outraged that the Disney company, after shutting its archives to academics for almost ten years, uses it as a means of endorsing projects which legitimize opinion based interpretations of Walt with the goal of discrediting him.

Well he shares the same labor views as Bob Iger....

zooey

Disney, the company, has been turning Walt into a character, not unlike a Colonel Sanders. You can only really go about that if you have the opportunity to make the case that Walt Disney, the man, is "problematic" and thus needs to be recontextualized as just some guy and not connected to the legacy of the modern day Disney Company and the BRAND. This is one of the key reasons why the fan community, and anyone who cares about history, should be outraged that the Disney company, after shutting its archives to academics for almost ten years, uses it as a means of endorsing projects which legitimize opinion based interpretations of Walt with the goal of discrediting him.
If they really thought he was problematic I feel like they would stop using him altogether, not try to shift his image through MORE information getting out about the real man, true or untrue. It just seems like such a strange way to go about that.
Also, I think it's inevitable for historical figures to turn into characters in popular culture. It's just what happens whether a corporation pushes it or not. Lincoln vampire hunter, Picasso action figures, mark twain Halloween costumes. I guess my overall point is that I see Disney still holding onto Walt as a legacy figure and if it were true that they're distancing themselves from him we would see more of his disappearance than I'm personally seeing.

Phil12

Walt Disney discredited himself with his illegal and unethical businesses practices. TWDC has spent years attempting to erase his poor behavior while polishing the "Uncle Walt" creative genius image. The name "Walt Disney" and the brand have gone hand in hand since Walt changed the name of the studio and starting taking a percentage of profits for the use of his name.

And his illegal and unethical behavior are not based on opinion. They are documented facts.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Walt Disney discredited himself with his illegal and unethical businesses practices. TWDC has spent years attempting to erase his poor behavior while polishing the "Uncle Walt" creative genius image. The name "Walt Disney" and the brand have gone hand in hand since Walt changed the name of the studio and starting taking a percentage of profits for the use of his name.

And his illegal and unethical behavior are not based on opinion. They are documented facts.

I would like to see these facts you speak of...

the.dreamfinder

HMF

I don't think he is saying that the company and PBS were in collusion.
More along the lines of the company knowing the tone of the piece and unofficially condoning it by not getting involved. Thereby continuing their agenda of promoting the BRAND over the man.

At least that's how it has been communicated to me...
Well considering all the effort Disney is putting into removing Walt's name from everything, I can believe it.

Phil12

I understand you have your viewpoint on this topic, but please use valid links and sources that aren't papers written by college students, speculation or links to articles which do not contain the information to back up your claims.
The link provides solid evidence of unethical business conduct. Even Walt's brother Roy thought the WED deal was a scam. You're not doing a good job of dodging the facts. And you know that Walt was successfully sued for diverting funds from the publicly held company to WED.

And you also know that Roy and Walt had a very divisive disagreement over how Walt ran WED and Walt was forced to sell WED back to TWDC under fear of additional lawsuits.

Last edited:

HMF

I do think the KFC ads are an example of exploiting your founder in the lowest possible way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom