A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Thanks for posting this… I had not seen it.

Edit: Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle. Micechat has gone off the deep end. That's Pablo Escobar levels of Pixie Dust.

I dont even know where to start with this beyond that I trust PBS leaps and bounds more than I trust MiceChat.
lets remember that many shows have skewed the "truth" to fit their needs.. in some cases.. shock value to attract viewership.

Remember this guy?

aliens.jpeg

Cesar R M

I can't process that level of insanity.

I found it to be very fair and painted Walt in a very positive light; to describe it as a "hit piece" is erroneous to the Nth degree. To even suggest that PBS ran any of this past DIsney beforehand is flat out, batcrap crazy and someone who has no idea how the media world works.

The only negativity I picked up on was Walt's issues with labor relations and his disconnect from the front line workers in his studio. Thats more of an observation and a valid criticism than being negative at all.

The ability for this country to rationally discuss anything without resulting to polar extremes is mind-blowing.
Photo.. I'm sorry to tell you this.. but you sounded a bit too commie in your comment.. please report yourself to the closest local NSA outpost of your convenience for quickly detainment and disposal. :hilarious:

Cesar R M

(Raises hand slowly, hoping no one notices.)
Look, I was raised by diehard Jehovah's Witnesses, and I bolted before I turned eighteen.
My number one goal as a parent was to teach my daughter how to think, not what to think.

And you are awesome for doing so.
So many people, groups, teams, religions.. wants to parents to program their kids at the groups's convenience.
Nothing damages more a person than being brainwashed into a dumb precooked fake "truth".

NearTheEars

I can't process that level of insanity.

I found it to be very fair and painted Walt in a very positive light; to describe it as a "hit piece" is erroneous to the Nth degree. To even suggest that PBS ran any of this past DIsney beforehand is flat out, batcrap crazy and someone who has no idea how the media world works.

The only negativity I picked up on was Walt's issues with labor relations and his disconnect from the front line workers in his studio. Thats more of an observation and a valid criticism than being negative at all.

The ability for this country to rationally discuss anything without resulting to polar extremes is mind-blowing.

Having attended the Q&A with some of the production team, they were very adamant that TWDC had no editorial control over the film. They also said that they expected the critical response to be polarizing. They felt big Walt fans would criticize the portrayal of the strike era, and the Walt hating camp would say they didn't go far enough.

Surprise, they were right.

They also said that initially the film was to be 2 hours, then bumped to 4. But said they could have gone even further.

Why would PBS have to cater to TWDC? They didn't need to do this doc. There's plenty of other interesting stories to tell, and they've been doing it for decades.

NearTheEars

I bet if they shaved out the Armchair Psychology, there'd actually be room for the World's Fair, CalArts, Animatronics and Good Neighbor Program in there.

Agreed. I wish is was more just the story and facts. The psychoanalysis by modern folks seemed awkward, especial Gabler, who never met the man himself.

I enjoyed the interviews with the former ink and paint and animators, however.

NearTheEars

Also, audio from that Q&A with the American Experience producer and Managing Director is available on a podcast by Mr. Mongello if you'd like to hear their thoughts.

Phil12

It's even more interesting how some people feel the need to attack him.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

The facts about Walt Disney are clear. He engaged in illegal and unethical business practices and enriched himself and his family at the expense of his shareholders. He was also a creative genius. It's obvious that too much attention has been given to the genius side and not enough to the underhanded side. Just trying to even things out a bit.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
It's even more interesting that when presented with information directly counter to the preferred narrative of the day, it's ignored by the presenter. Well, different book, same book report, same author.

*1023*

lazyboy97o

Themed architecture in particular I feel is worthy of artistic recognition and discussion.
While I'm not about to put something like the queue building for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on the same level of distinction of the great cathedrals of Europe, I do believe that they share a common basic purpose: telling stories through static architecture.

16%20Ely%20Cathedral%20Interior-new.jpg
"Form ever follows function."
Disneyland in many ways reignited/rediscovered a form of architectural design and engagement that had almost all been stamped out by the mid-20th century by a systematic rejection of these principals that began in the latter part of the 19th century and culminated with the Bauhaus diaspora. The postmodernists would begin to explore these ideas of meaning and common myth, but would instead become distracted by irony and never explore such concepts to the depths in which they have been explored in themed entertainment.

raymusiccity

="PhotoDave219, post: 6903519, member: 7112"]Thanks for posting this… I had not seen it.

Edit: Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle. Micechat has gone off the deep end. That's Pablo Escobar levels of Pixie Dust.

I dont even know where to start with this beyond that I trust PBS leaps and bounds more than I trust MiceChat.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that PBS has a well known liberal bias, hence their obsession with the unionization of Hollywood.

There's only one trustworthy source whom we should all turn to:

image.jpg

Next Big Thing

Were you not around for the 200 page Lights of Winter thread? That was 1/20th the size. Until we have a 4000 page discussion the reaction will pale in comparison.
It won't get nearly that bad for Osborne Lights. Yes, they are loved, but at the same time, at least there's a good reason for their run to come to an end.

Lights of Winter was cancelled for no good reason at all other than they thought it wasn't necessary to have two light shows, one being "obsolete".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom