A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nubs70

QuiCl thought.

If you view your employees really as "family" then you'll pay them what they are worth.
And if I may add, if employees exhibit familial commitment, it can only help in the justification of higher pay.

I see the differentiation between Walt and Iger as a matter of Pride Priority Distribution (PPD).

PPD is comprised of 3 components, Pride in Profit, People, Product.

I see Walt with a distribution of 60% product, 15% people, 25% profit.
I see Bob as 80% profit, 10% people, 10% product.

Phil12

And some of the most driven and committed parents come from highly dysfunctional families. These parents are committed to the core not to be like their parents.
I wonder what percentage of people with serious mental and or personality flaws come from this category?

zooey

Disney history institute had a write up reaction to the doc that I think does a good job of pointing out some of the issues. A lot of it comes down to the medium. You can't get nuance in that amount of time on a subject like Walt. You could take any era of his life and do a whole movie about it. One big gripe of mine is that it never seemed to respect Disneyland as a kind of art. Three dimensional cinematic storytelling. They definitely respected the animation but didn't give the parks the same respect. I think academics want to heap far more weight as to what Disneyland represents in a broader sense that I don't think it ever did or does. but overall not a hatchet job by any stretch, there's just more to be understood than the doc went into.

Cesar R M

The special really spends a lot of time on the unions. Funny to see same issues today as was back them. Employees feeling cheated by the man. They strike get a little more then strike again.
what is your point? thats how people earned rights when working.
if not for protesters and unions, we would probably be exploited and forced to work 12+ hours in dire conditions.

lazyboy97o

Disney history institute had a write up reaction to the doc that I think does a good job of pointing out some of the issues. A lot of it comes down to the medium. You can't get nuance in that amount of time on a subject like Walt. You could take any era of his life and do a whole movie about it. One big gripe of mine is that it never seemed to respect Disneyland as a kind of art. Three dimensional cinematic storytelling. They definitely respected the animation but didn't give the parks the same respect. I think academics want to heap far more weight as to what Disneyland represents in a broader sense that I don't think it ever did or does. but overall not a hatchet job by any stretch, there's just more to be understood than the doc went into.
American Experience most reminded me of The Animated Man. Barrier outright dismisses themed entertainment as not being worthy of discussion or serious consideration.

Cesar R M

While I totally agree, the one thing I would add is that this is a company Walt created from the ground up. He wasn't going to let other people tell him how he should run his business (besides Roy of course). This was his baby.

In Iger's case, he was "acquired" in the purchase of ABC by Eisner and worked his way up to CEO. The company was 82 years old when he took over and he basically came in from outside being from ABC. He was chosen to be the next CEO because he was able to prove that he is good at what he does (as he's proven over the course of his tenure). He doesn't have nearly the personal connection to the company that Walt did, this is just a job for him. A very, very, very well paying job at that.
well, he also made sure he got managed the company to get paid even better.. didnt he?

Cesar R M

You didn't think Avatar would happen either... (I can already hear the "Iger Vanity Project" response being typed).
Well, that was really his vanity project.. wasn't it?
a supposed Potter Swatter that will finally open... (a few years "only" late)

Posted by @Disneyhead'71 over at OU:

"Pandora is going to be jaw dropping impressive. Visually, it's going to blow both Diagon Alley and Carsland out of the water. It will be the new bar in themed entertainment. Real TDS level theming right here in Otown.

This and Vocano Bay are going to make 2017 an impressive year."

This from someone who actually has a grasp of what is going on, unlike you. Diagon Alley is the best themed land in the country at the very least, potentially all of the world. If Pandora can top that, then I think they just might be on to something...
But we wont know until it opens.
I am extremely excited.
I just hope they really blow it out of the park!

But then, I was not that impressed at all at NFL.
individually there are gems, group wise..it was sort of dull with too many wide pathways with nothing on them.

The point is, WDW isn't burning in a dumpster fire as @ford91exploder seems to make it out to be all the time. There's actually a lot going on. But the narrative never changes. He always goes back to talking about cuts and making it seem like it's the beginning of the end. It's a theme park, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the "cuts" are actually being made so improvements can come to the parks. Would you believe that...

While he has some valid points, he simply can't be reasoned with so I won't even bother trying anymore.

Id take his comments as "the beginning of the end" for many long time fans. Where the huge prices and reduced entertainment offers (like DHS) makes it hard to justify the price.
Money wise... we know Disney is printing money as fast as apple under their army of iSheep.

Cesar R M

There are legal ways to get around that law and yes I have done them in the past. It is called layoffs and the union supporters are part of it.

But again at this time Unions were not 100% ethical in their practices and how they went about things as well. It was a vastly different time and a different way the world worked. My grandfather was beaten for not joining his union don't think that is the way it was suppose to go either.
which is very interesting..
because current politics and many hard core liberal neocapitalists love to blame unions for "all the issues happening right now".
When most of the crashes were actually created or caused by big banks, big investors and wall street actions.

Cesar R M

Too many people try to make Walt into one of the greatest people ever. He wasn't. He was a flawed human. He may have been creative, driven, and experimental, but he was a flawed human... just like the rest of us.
I feel that he was amazing in the hard working, intelligent creative and driven (not giving up under hardships) that built something out of passion. But he was awful on management and business. Roy was pretty much the balance.. but both were also stubborn to have their ways.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The point is, WDW isn't burning in a dumpster fire as @ford91exploder seems to make it out to be all the time. There's actually a lot going on. But the narrative never changes. He always goes back to talking about cuts and making it seem like it's the beginning of the end. It's a theme park, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the "cuts" are actually being made so improvements can come to the parks. Would you believe that...

While he has some valid points, he simply can't be reasoned with so I won't even bother trying anymore.

If you have been visiting since the 1980's yes today's WDW is indeed a burning dumpster fire compared to how the park was run in the 1980's through the early 00's.

While the fanboi's swoon over the disney pressers about 'whats coming' they give TWDC a free pass to cut even more (without replacement of course) at the parks, At WDW there has NEVER been LESS entertainment and attractions than today. The Osborne lights for me were the final straw yes I'll visit them one last time but I've dumped my Premier Passport as it's just not worth it any longer, DVC points are next on the block.

jakeman

If you have been visiting since the 1980's yes today's WDW is indeed a burning dumpster fire compared to how the park was run in the 1980's through the early 00's.

While the fanboi's swoon over the disney pressers about 'whats coming' they give TWDC a free pass to cut even more (without replacement of course) at the parks, At WDW there has NEVER been LESS entertainment and attractions than today. The Osborne lights for me were the final straw yes I'll visit them one last time but I've dumped my Premier Passport as it's just not worth it any longer, DVC points are next on the block.
It is safe to assume that your participation in this forum will be coming to an end as well since you are admittedly no longer a fan of the product they are producing?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll still afflict the fanboi's - Today;s Disney has forgotten the classic bit about customer service, For a good customer service event a customer will tell 1-3 people, For a bad customer service event the dissatisfied customer will tell 9-25 people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom