A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

Tom Sito states that Walt made 100X more than his lowest paid workers (Ink and Painters) during a time when the studio was in deep financial straights he is vilanised to the point of caricature. Yet today we have a tremendously profitable modern Disney Company in which Bob Iger makes 2,238X more than his median worker[1], TWDC's workforce is predominately theme park Cast Members who are effectively part of America's working poor. How can you enrich oneself so throughly whilst allowing those who generate such wealth to starve? Who is the true villain?

[1]
http://nytimes.com/2015/04/12/busin...er-pay-gap-data-remains-hidden.html?referrer=
The company with the widest pay gap on the list Twas Walt Disney, whose chief executive, Robert Iger, received $43.7 million last year. Given Mr. Baker’s estimate that Disney’s median worker received $19,530 last year, that translates to a C.E.O. multiple of 2,238 to one.
I don't have a huge problem with people making lots of money but when the divide is that wide, you have to wonder how things got this bad. It is very easy to see how these CEOs are so out of touch with the regular people.

Cesar R M

I don't have a huge problem with people making lots of money but when the divide is that wide, you have to wonder how things got this bad. It is very easy to see how these CEOs are so out of touch with the regular people.
worse when you take into consideration how efficiency and productivity skyrocketed.. yet the salaries remained stagnant.

Phil12

Tom Sito states that Walt made 100X more than his lowest paid workers (Ink and Painters) during a time when the studio was in deep financial straights and is vilanised to the point of caricature for this fact. Yet today we have a tremendously profitable modern Disney Company in which Bob Iger makes 2,238X more than his median worker[1]. TWDC's workforce is predominately theme park Cast Members who are effectively part of America's working poor. How can you enrich oneself so throughly whilst allowing those who generate such wealth to live in poverty? Who is the true villain?

[1]
http://nytimes.com/2015/04/12/busin...er-pay-gap-data-remains-hidden.html?referrer=
The company with the widest pay gap on the list Twas Walt Disney, whose chief executive, Robert Iger, received $43.7 million last year. Given Mr. Baker’s estimate that Disney’s median worker received $19,530 last year, that translates to a C.E.O. multiple of 2,238 to one.
Bob Iger is carrying on a long standing tradition started by Walt of control-freak vindictiveness. Walt's solution for the 1941 strike was to hire a known mobster to "settle" the strike. Roy Disney was wise enough to send Walt on a long trip to South America to so that cooler heads could settle the strike. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/walt-disney-review-pbs-american-experience-129078393380.html

ParentsOf4

Neither Walt Disney or Bob Iger were/are particularly concerned about their employees. I would not want either as a boss.

However, one significant difference is that Disney was primarily concerned about what his paying customers thought.

Iger is primarily concerned about what his shareholders think.

As a shareholder, I'd rather have Iger running the company.

As a customer, I'd rather have Disney running the company.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It is not really an apple to apple comparison since entry-level, non-skilled theme park employees now make up such a massive bulk. It would be interesting to see that comparison again across the decades (especially post-strike) but also with a distinct comparison for animation, live action, Imagineering and theme park operations as those different fields came into existence.

Cesar R M

Oh I was being sarcastic. My point was Walt did a good job of making himself look bad in that situation.
ohh ok.
sorry, I just cant see that show and wanted to see the opinions of people who actually seen the special.
Someone mentioned that Walt used bad language a lot, thus causing the bad rept?
and I am here thinking.. it was only the bad language? or the content of his speech was damaging towards the staff?

HMF

ohh ok.
sorry, I just cant see that show and wanted to see the opinions of people who actually seen the special.
Someone mentioned that Walt used bad language a lot, thus causing the bad rept?
and I am here thinking.. it was only the bad language? or the content of his speech was damaging towards the staff?
There was no bad language. I actually thought the special was relatively fair in it's handling of Walt, The good and the bad.

MotherOfBirds

All that trailer was missing was one of Nolan's foghorns. Yeesh, talk about excessive CGI. Trying to turn a relatively cute story about a feral child into Planet of the Apes just comes off as silly.

Tom Sito states that Walt made 100X more than his lowest paid workers (Ink and Painters) during a time when the studio was in deep financial straights and is vilanised to the point of caricature for this fact. Yet today we have a tremendously profitable modern Disney Company in which Bob Iger makes 2,238X more than his median worker[1]. TWDC's workforce is predominately theme park Cast Members who are effectively part of America's working poor. How can you enrich oneself so throughly whilst allowing those who generate such wealth to live in poverty? Who is the true villain?

[1]

So what? Low earning cm's are offered a job and I'm sure are greatful for what they earn. Just because the company earns so much money doesn't mean the low paid should get more. Basic business.

Hands ups who's boss had a good financial year and gave the lowest earners in the company a pay rise??

Astro Blaster

This is random but I came across this picture and thought it was funny - apparently NPH has a Spaceship Earth iPhone case.

HowardNPH.jpg

Now I want one.

PhotoDave219

Neither Walt Disney or Bob Iger were/are particularly concerned about their employees. I would not want either as a boss.

However, one significant difference is that Disney was primarily concerned about what his paying customers thought.

Iger is primarily concerned about what his shareholders think.

As a shareholder, I'd rather have Iger running the company.

As a customer, I'd rather have Disney running the company.

I'm a day behind on the special as I've only seen part one.

It seems very fair thus far.

And no, I wouldn't want either man for a boss either. I do like that DIsney didn't want shareholders meddling with his business. I wish they could un-ring that bell, but oh well.

I truly appreciate Walt's standards and how he always pushed and pushed for bigger and better and I respect that, as I try to push myself and my work in the same fashion. I just wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it constantly. now if someone would tell my brain to knock off the crap before bedtime....

gmajew

The special really spends a lot of time on the unions. Funny to see same issues today as was back them. Employees feeling cheated by the man. They strike get a little more then strike again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom