A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Remember when @ParentsOf4 said there was an artificially high stock price bubble?

It burst.

The D23 Star Wars announcement only happened as a vain attempt to stop the stock slide. It was a last minute thing.
I dont think it was just a Disney Issue..

all stocks are tumbling because the Oil is going downhill again and both China and Euros are evaluating against the USD.
a very strong USD = very bad for exports.
my country is getting tumbled hard as well... since most of the products are imported from the US.
so.. Mexican peso = lost 40% of its value in 4 months against the USD = very hard on imported good.

Cesar R M

If Dinsey is smart they make ESPN available online for a fee. Tons of people would pay for it if the price is right. They obviously have to find a good price point, but that would make serious cash. Doing that and ditching Netflix and starting their own streaming service would make up for a ton of the lost revenue from cable.
they will need to find a way to protect their website very well.
Because I know a lot of websites that break streaming websites to re-distribute for free.

Mouse Trap

While there are multiple problems - the 'ever so safe' $DIS being hit after earnings (and again, and again) is part of it.

I think Disney has nothing to do with the overall market slump. China, oil and much, much slower than expected growth is what kicked this off. Disney just decided to sell off at the right time.

I'm hoping for 5-10% more of a dip in the market. Would love to load up on Disney and others for $90 a share.

Frankie The Beer

Let's also not forget the whole stock market is getting smacked right now. Disney is far from the worst performer in the S&P. I remember hearing 1/3 of stocks in the 500 are down 15% or more. At least DIS isn't getting pummeled during a nice rally.

Look at Apple, they lost over $150 billion in value over the past couple of days. Quoting a blurb from a USA Today article, that would bankrupt Pepsi and Intel. DIS's losses are nowhere near significant.

Frankie The Beer

I think Disney has nothing to do with the overall market slump. China, oil and much, much slower than expected growth is what kicked this off. Disney just decided to sell off at the right time.

I'm hoping for 5-10% more of a dip in the market. Would love to load up on Disney and others for $90 a share.

China devalued their yuan, Vietnam devalued their dong. In other news Megan Fox is back on the market.;)

lazyboy97o

At AK Pyro would scare the animals. Perhaps a laser show?

Yep, lights, projections, and no doubt lasers will be a part of it.

They cant do any pyro because of the Animals, right? Something to do with the AZA certification? Or am I off base on that....

I've never actually heard that it is anything todo with AZA, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think the closest they got to pyro was for the Millennium with a show in the parking lot of the park.
Busch Gardens Tampa does fireworks and is similarly accredited.

Mouse Trap

Look at Apple, they lost over $150 billion in value over the past couple of days. Quoting a blurb from a USA Today article, that would bankrupt Pepsi and Intel. DIS's losses are nowhere near significant.

And this isn't even Apple's worst week. Can't remember if it was 2012 or 2013 when they dipped 40% for virtually no reason while the rest of the market roared.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't worry about Disney's stock price, I would be more concerned about China's economy. That's where the problem is. When bonds and gold rise, you got issues.

Oh I'm worried plenty about China's economy, When a countries economy is in the tank that's when governments start wars to 'unite' the people and take their minds off their troubles, Taiwan is probably sweating bricks at the moment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seeing how their Parks & Resorts depends a lot on families spending five figures on vacations, and the Films depends a lot on their treating their franchises like they treated Who Wants To Be A Millionaire years ago not tiring out the moviegoing public, Media could take a dive, and STILL be their #1 business....

As far as sports: My guess is the NFL will see this as leverage to squeeze even more out of cable...(and if ESPN isn't willing to do MNF as a 'loss leader' to just bypass them and put the games on NFL Network). Baseball, on the other hand - could be totally nuclear (though the big spending teams get all their $$$ from huge local cable deals).

NFL can't get money from a stone there are a LOT fewer 'die hard' fans who would actually pay for game access than their are cable households where NFL is getting money effectively for free.

ctrlaltdel

Oh I'm worried plenty about China's economy, When a countries economy is in the tank that's when governments start wars to 'unite' the people and take their minds off their troubles, Taiwan is probably sweating bricks at the moment.
Especially since the government's legitimacy in China is literally linked to economic growth. Seriously. Hopefully things don't go south

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Also, the Street would rather have them make their crust w/ carriage fees then having to grow it by spending CapEx in the parks.... how long have they held off on improvements because the Street demanded lower CapEx?

Since 2000 or so, Which neatly corresponds to the decline in WDW since that time, Yet TPWMNBN is showing CAPEX spent on immersive P&R products has a nearly immediate positive effect on cash flow and the top and bottom lines for their parks.

lazyboy97o

Maybe the problem is that for fireworks to be incorporated into Rivers of Light they would need to be way too far off to the sides.
I don't see a good place for fallout, or even a launching station in the line of sight for that show.
That makes more sense. For how many years did people insist that there was no way Kilimanjaro Safaris, and thus the rest of the park, could never operate at night?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom