A Spirited Perfect Ten

culturenthrills

Horrible.

One of our local parks got un-6Flagged a couple of years ago. $70 for a season pass that includes the water park, $1 soda, discount food, and free parking. Another park up the road offers free sunscreen and soda with admission. Both parks are decent quality and value for what you get, though in no way comparable to WDW, of course.
I love Holiday World. One of the friendliest and best local parks in the country. It's too bad a rift in the family has caused so many problems.

culturenthrills

Six flags Great Adventure is that chains cash cow. They have monetized the crap out of that park. Its sad because there are parts of that park that are beautiful. They have gotten rid of almost all their entertainment. They have show venues that are just sitting there rotting away. They even fenced off a section of the park. The park much like Magic Mountajn could be a great beautiful park if that company had management that gave a crap.

lazyboy97o

Microtransactions rarely have much to do with " a la carte" .

Most games are filling into the dreaded " pay to win" .
Nothing to do with " exactly what people wanted" .

Airliners didn't reduce prices with the introduction of the new charges, they blamed fat people and prices of gas (that now are pretty stable in the low end).
Also the fact that they now cramp more and more (and smaller) seats in less space in each plane and then offer you " premium" (exactly what you used to get for the same price before..).
Bonus for those " low cost" airlines that cost like normal airlines.. but yet you have to pay for every.. single.. thing..

so, let's say I disagree with you.
Again, poor implementation is not the same as a bad concept.

Microtransactions in games are bad when the prevent the promised gameplay. But the whole concept came about as the result of prices people are willing to pay plummeting. Game developers don't work for free.

The airlines did face skyrocketing fuel prices, and while prices are lower now they prices are hardly stable. Ticket prices didn't decrease because margins were [and remain] low and the new fees were to help with that. Those costs were always there, but just baked into one fee regardless of what was utilized by the customer. You were still paying for a checked bag even if you didn't have one.

Cesar R M

Again, poor implementation is not the same as a bad concept.

Microtransactions in games are bad when the prevent the promised gameplay. But the whole concept came about as the result of prices people are willing to pay plummeting. Game developers don't work for free.

The airlines did face skyrocketing fuel prices, and while prices are lower now they prices are hardly stable. Ticket prices didn't decrease because margins were [and remain] low and the new fees were to help with that. Those costs were always there, but just baked into one fee regardless of what was utilized by the customer. You were still paying for a checked bag even if you didn't have one.
..prices plummeting..

You're not a hardcore gamer I suppose? because prices haven't gone down.. EVER..
Unless you're compared the new games with limited content (which they charge the full content as " DLC" ) or casual games like angry birds (that were never supposed to be priced like a full fledged game)

Infact.. ModernWarfare and other newer COD titles have set the precedent of increasing the price of the basic game content to 75+ USD (when the average was 40-60USD) plus the microtransactions and enforced DLCS (needed to enjoy the full game, like multiplayer maps.. which used to be free).

lazyboy97o

..prices plummeting..

You're not a hardcore gamer I suppose? because prices haven't gone down.. EVER..
Unless you're compared the new games with limited content (which they charge the full content as " DLC" ) or casual games like angry birds (that were never supposed to be priced like a full fledged game)

Infact.. ModernWarfare and other newer COD titles have set the precedent of increasing the price of the basic game content to 75+ USD (when the average was 40-60USD) plus the microtransactions and enforced DLCS (needed to enjoy the full game, like multiplayer maps.. which used to be free).
Microtransactions blew up in mobile, where people quickly became accustomed to 99¢ and free apps. Larger console/PC developers tried to adopt the model for the same reason of costs outpacing market prices. The issue though is not the idea, but the duplicitous implementation. Just because large game developers are using the idea in a more bait and switch manner doesn't mean the idea itself is problematic.

PhotoDave219

..prices plummeting..

I know I'm totally dressed the thread and I'm the one usually complaining about people being on topic… I'll title back in a second…

Alas I picked up fallout three for $15. With all the downloads. A lot of fun. Granted n it's a title from 2008. A lot of these titles are glitchy and buggy and rush to market with an attempt to completely capitalize on the market. When you have call of duty going for $60 new and a new title coming out every 12 to 18 months, you're not getting a game worth that kind of money.

On the flipside of that is when Disney partners with square Enix and they take for ever to get a game to come out… but then it's usually worth the money.

Disney games have been hit and miss over the years. There was even a magic kingdom video game that predates VMK.

I get that Disney infinity is a Thing… It just seems like you're constantly buying new content. Which again, I get. I just think if you're going to pay $65 for a game, you should get the additional content for free. Much like what rockstar games good with grand theft auto five… They seem to have monthly title updates.

I'm interested in the new Star Wars battlefront that comes out this Christmas but I really don't want to go out and buy a new PlayStation.

Disney's own gaming studios throughout the years just never really worked very well. They never really put out a quality product. They seem to be trending in the right direction the past couple years but we shall see… Although I think those are just partnerships with existing games videos.

gmajew

I know I'm totally dressed the thread and I'm the one usually complaining about people being on topic… I'll title back in a second…

Alas I picked up fallout three for $15. With all the downloads. A lot of fun. Granted n it's a title from 2008. A lot of these titles are glitchy and buggy and rush to market with an attempt to completely capitalize on the market. When you have call of duty going for $60 new and a new title coming out every 12 to 18 months, you're not getting a game worth that kind of money.

On the flipside of that is when Disney partners with square Enix and they take for ever to get a game to come out… but then it's usually worth the money.

Disney games have been hit and miss over the years. There was even a magic kingdom video game that predates VMK.

I get that Disney infinity is a Thing… It just seems like you're constantly buying new content. Which again, I get. I just think if you're going to pay $65 for a game, you should get the additional content for free. Much like what rockstar games good with grand theft auto five… They seem to have monthly title updates.

I'm interested in the new Star Wars battlefront that comes out this Christmas but I really don't want to go out and buy a new PlayStation.

Disney's own gaming studios throughout the years just never really worked very well. They never really put out a quality product. They seem to be trending in the right direction the past couple years but we shall see… Although I think those are just partnerships with existing games videos.

Disney Infinity has been to my surprise very very good. I don't like I had to buy 2 games or now one a year with 3.0 coming out shortly to play the new cool stuff but then is that really any different then buying the new Grand Theft Auto every year.

The new sets are really new games and new worlds if you follow the story mode. What is cool about infinity is that you can make your own worlds and adventures would be great if I could put the characters from 3.0 on the 1.0 world my kids spent hours creating but not the case.

PhotoDave219

Disney Infinity has been to my surprise very very good. I don't like I had to buy 2 games or now one a year with 3.0 coming out shortly to play the new cool stuff but then is that really any different then buying the new Grand Theft Auto every year.

The new sets are really new games and new worlds if you follow the story mode. What is cool about infinity is that you can make your own worlds and adventures would be great if I could put the characters from 3.0 on the 1.0 world my kids spent hours creating but not the case.

GTA is a once every 5-6 years. And well worth it if you like that sorta thing....

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I'll take a Crack at Battlefront. It's being developed by Dice who makes the Battlefield series of FPS they are distributed by EA Games who distributed other titles like the Sims series... both Battlefield and the Sims are known for their PAID extra content. Battlefront is launching with the garente we will get about 4 new maps n content for FREE after the new movie comes out... aka maps of places in the film that they are not allowed to reveal. So it's not even a free update its 4 maps we should have gotten at launch. The saving grace is Dice puts together a solid game from what I've sceen. I have high expectations and do not expect there to be major bugs, I will be extremely disapointing in the Dice team if that is the case.

gmajew

I gave up on those around 98. Too much "ehhhhhhhh" why keep buying the same game over and over?

We still buy them in my house because my kids like the updated rosters... and lately been just enough tweaks to make them worth while... Well football and soccer anyways... Basketball games still stink.

HauntedMansionFLA

I love Holiday World. One of the friendliest and best local parks in the country. It's too bad a rift in the family has caused so many problems.
Holiday World has a great waterpark. They could give anyone a run for their money if their were Ina warmer climate. They keep adding top notch attractions each year. Now, they are starting to add to the land attraction side of the park. Pretty good for a little town called Santa Claus, Indiana.

brb1006

People can claim Disney is overpriced but it's nowhere near the insanity of Six Flags. Made my first visit to Great Adventure in 5+ years and things have changed big time.

$80+ to get in if you don't have a discount/buy in advance.
If you buy a ticket in advance you have to pick a day and you're locked into that day. Rained out? You're SOL. Imagine if other parks did that?!

$25 to park
$1 for lockers at every ride. You are stopped at ride entrances if you have anything with you, a bag, an iPhone...see yourself to the lockers.
$60 for 3 people to eat a counter service meal.
They even had "family driers" outside water rides for $3. Literally no opportunity to make money was passed by.
I've heard you have to pay money to meet the Looney Tunes characters!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
We still buy them in my house because my kids like the updated rosters... and lately been just enough tweaks to make them worth while... Well football and soccer anyways... Basketball games still stink.

NFL games have sucked since 2K5, and EA was so worried they bought the full exclusive NFL rights for their Madden games....I'm still mad about that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom