A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

Interesting that the Fool is now highlighting Disney's vulnerabilities, when for a long time places like that were criticised as being the Iger shills that weren't taking any notice of what these forums were pointing out. Could we be seeing the start of the tide turning, and the wider investment community paying more attention to the parks I wonder?

If 'Disney is a business', I wonder what that makes Comcast, given those theme park profits are from doing pretty much everything the 'Disney is a business' crowd says Disney is right not to do.

seascape

Nice to see it being said somewhere besides the forums (even if it is the Motley Fool). I enjoyed the tag line "Comcast's fast, Disney's furious".
Comcast is a threat to Disney's theme parks. However, the future of the internet and entertainment is not the cable wire or FIOS, it is actually wireless. The Cell Phone companies are the powerful provider of the future and will be the winners. Take someone who owns more than one home. Why have 2 or more cable packages, phone internet and cable, when all you need is one provider that you can take no matter where you are. All one needs is a wireless provider. The cable companies, and thus Comcast will be the loser when competing against wireless providers. Wireless providers and content providers will be winners in the digital age. Content is King as has always been the case.

SYRIK2000

Well the guest service inside universal is completely in line with Comcast's customer service.

That is the largest thing that universal Orlando needs to work on.

Well that's what happens when you put off capital investments for 10 years and instead just rely on price increases and rething of existing rides on the cheap…
Dave please take you Uni talk to the appropriate thread.

bakntime

Gotta love it when statistics are used poorly.

I threw a party in 2014 and 3 people showed up. Charged $10 a person. Then in 2015 I threw a better party and 6 people showed up. I had a whopping 100% increase in revenue and attendance. My attendance DOUBLED. My gross income DOUBLED.

Meanwhile, my neighbor has been throwing parties at his 4-house complex for decades. 100 people last year, 110 this year. Revenue and attendance only went up a measly 10% at my neighbor's house. I'm gaining on him, right? Because I went up ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!!!! OMG!!!! He only went up 10%! lol loser.

Except the truth is that his revenue increased more than mine. His attendance increased more than mine. But because I had so much room for improvement, my "numbers" look better if we use percentages rather than raw gains.

Obviously this is an exaggeration of numbers to illustrate a point, but the bottom line is that the numbers provided in the article are cherry picked: There's no scientific analysis to address the article's premise that Universal is "catching up". Rather, it only illustrates that Universal has had a boost comparing one quarter to another quarter a year later.

What is the average length of a guest stay at Universal vs. Disney? What's the average money spend on that vacation? Has the spike in Universal attendance actually taken anything away from Disney's attendance?

And then there's the question of where is it headed? Is Universal's growth sustainable? (Ans: definitely not at the rates stated) Will there be diminishing returns on investments at Universal now that "most" people who wanted to experience the Wizarding Worlds have made their 1 or 2 trips to see them? Will the water park or the new Kong attraction be enough to bring these people back again, maintaining that attendance spike, or will people say "Ok, I've seen the Wizarding Worlds, I'm good for a little while."

Universal is hot right now, growth has been good, but sustainability is a different animal. Wizarding World 1 & 2 resulted in a giant boost, but getting 3rd and 4th and 5th time repeat visits, year after year takes a little bit more. It will be interesting to see how Universal tries to tackle the task of getting those kinds of annual returns and extended stays, especially if the novelty of the two Wizarding Worlds loses just a tiny bit of its edge.

The article may be right that Disney is "moving too slow [sic]", but there's a lack of depth and analysis. Raw percentages and numbers are one thing, but much of the "analysis" is opinion. The article is more editorial and speculative than it is analytical.

But this is a good time, regardless, because both resorts seem to be entering a stage where it's "game on," which is probably good for everyone.

Smiddimizer

Since Universal has been brought up...I guess the deal with Marvel went through as Robert Niles (theme park insider siite) seems to indicate that Hulk will indeed be Marvel Cinematic Universe centric post-refurb

I'm sorry, what does this mean exactly? The Hulk coaster is being themed to Mark Ruffalo?

Bairstow

I'm sorry, what does this mean exactly? The Hulk coaster is being themed to Mark Ruffalo?

Presumably it would have meant that the pre-show monitors in the queue showing the animated segments and playing techno would have been replaced with a queue experience more in line with the settings and aesthetic from the recent movies. I don't think anything more than that was ever leaked.
What's clear now is that the look of the Hulk featured in the ride right now is not the Hulk we see in the Avengers movies, or any of the live action films since the park opened.

PhotoDave219

Who is Phil?

Oh god..... I asked Pandora for you, she said Dont open that box.

Gotta love it when statistics are used poorly.

I threw a party in 2014 and 3 people showed up. Charged $10 a person. Then in 2015 I threw a better party and 6 people showed up. I had a whopping 100% increase in revenue and attendance. My attendance DOUBLED. My gross income DOUBLED.

Meanwhile, my neighbor has been throwing parties at his 4-house complex for decades. 100 people last year, 110 this year. Revenue and attendance only went up a measly 10% at my neighbor's house. I'm gaining on him, right? Because I went up ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!!!! OMG!!!! He only went up 10%! lol loser.

Except the truth is that his revenue increased more than mine. His attendance increased more than mine. But because I had so much room for improvement, my "numbers" look better if we use percentages rather than raw gains.

Obviously this is an exaggeration of numbers to illustrate a point, but the bottom line is that the numbers provided in the article are cherry picked: There's no scientific analysis to address the article's premise that Universal is "catching up". Rather, it only illustrates that Universal has had a boost comparing one quarter to another quarter a year later.

What is the average length of a guest stay at Universal vs. Disney? What's the average money spend on that vacation? Has the spike in Universal attendance actually taken anything away from Disney's attendance?

And then there's the question of where is it headed? Is Universal's growth sustainable? (Ans: definitely not at the rates stated) Will there be diminishing returns on investments at Universal now that "most" people who wanted to experience the Wizarding Worlds have made their 1 or 2 trips to see them? Will the water park or the new Kong attraction be enough to bring these people back again, maintaining that attendance spike, or will people say "Ok, I've seen the Wizarding Worlds, I'm good for a little while."

Universal is hot right now, growth has been good, but sustainability is a different animal. Wizarding World 1 & 2 resulted in a giant boost, but getting 3rd and 4th and 5th time repeat visits, year after year takes a little bit more. It will be interesting to see how Universal tries to tackle the task of getting those kinds of annual returns and extended stays, especially if the novelty of the two Wizarding Worlds loses just a tiny bit of its edge.

The article may be right that Disney is "moving too slow [sic]", but there's a lack of depth and analysis. Raw percentages and numbers are one thing, but much of the "analysis" is opinion. The article is more editorial and speculative than it is analytical.

But this is a good time, regardless, because both resorts seem to be entering a stage where it's "game on," which is probably good for everyone.

Yeah, thats when I do the crowd level analysis, I try to give the raw data and frame it in context instead of simply throwing out nonsensical percent change.

Small change percentages dont mean much either. The change in attendance over 20 years, now that would be significant, for example.... over 20 years, MK Attendance is up 75%. (11.2M vs 19.33M).

SYRIK2000

Oh god..... I asked Pandora for you, she said Dont open that box.

Yeah, thats when I do the crowd level analysis, I try to give the raw data and frame it in context instead of simply throwing out nonsensical percent change.

Small change percentages dont mean much either. The change in attendance over 20 years, now that would be significant, for example.... over 20 years, MK Attendance is up 75%. (11.2M vs 19.33M).
I googled him. His Linkedin page says he was a janitor at WDW until 2011. Not sure I would give him legendary status but I think I know what you mean.

PhotoDave219

I googled him. His Linkedin page says he was a janitor at WDW until 2011. Not sure I would give him legendary status but I think I know what you mean.

The gentleman in question has special needs. For that alone, I'm not going to rip him.

Suffice to say, he caused a few issues here and is no longer welcome here. While on twitter, he managed to threaten to kill a few members here as a result.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom