A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I actually wonder if there is physiological side of this behavior. Because it happens everywhere.
We're not talking only about just entertainment or park business.
I've seen the same everywhere. Its like someone chooses a camp randomly and defends it with their lives.
From Hardware, to books.

Extrafabulous comics has this comic that follows (an exaggerated example) the premise.

WARNING: contains mature language:
http://i.imgur.com/Xm0tsjY.png

Fair enough, Probably I will be best to just ignore him on this thread.
We can be pretty civil in other threads. but not here.. (as I am not fan of someone shutting down any opinion from someone with a precooked remark(or fallacy) .)

Check out the book 'The True Believer' by Eric Hoffer it describes this pattern perfectly

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I've linked before a great article from Seeking Alpha (the article might not be available anymore - some articles are 'pro' and go behind a pay wall after a few days) that says their biggest revenue stream from their most profitable division is the ESPN subscription fees. It's like a drug company trying to keep the share price up by saying there's more in the pipeline once Lipitor goes generic...

I don't share his optimism - it's an opportunity for competitors to take 'sports share' - and you've got the professional leagues (and by professional that in reality includes college football and mens basketball) who consistently want more and more for their content - and at the same time are competitors in delivering the content to the consumers...
IMO though, ESPN is somewhat evolving into the MTV of sports broadcasting. So are the other sports networks but ESPN is far ahead of the rest. More shows and less sports. The same way MTV became more shows and less music videos.

ESPN would much rather dedicate a 30 minute broadcast that rips into a team or an athlete in tabloid fashion rather than just simply provide sports scores and stats. Perhaps its a sign of the times and they get more viewers by pushing dumpster fire starting stories.

PhotoDave219

IMO though, ESPN is somewhat evolving into the MTV of sports broadcasting. So are the other sports networks but ESPN is far ahead of the rest. More shows and less sports. The same way MTV became more shows and less music videos.

ESPN would much rather dedicate a 30 minute broadcast that rips into a team or an athlete in tabloid fashion rather than just simply provide sports scores and stats. Perhaps its a sign of the times and they get more viewers by pushing dumpster fire starting stories.

I prefer ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and their "30 for 30" series.

FullSailDan

ESPN is also starting to face some new challenges as the cable companies are being squeezed to offer more programming a la carte and exclusivity deals with the leagues are being heavily scrutinized by consumers and the FCC. With more people dropping cable, in favor of subscription internet streaming service, the premium channels don't have the leverage they used to in terms of their bundles. Granted ESPN's multiple channels continue to be the best source for sports coverage but I think savvy viewers are beginning to turn to alternative live streams(albeit maybe illegally) and such creating a drop in demand. I won't be surprised if in the next few years Disney seeks a buyer for ESPN and dumps their visibility in the parks.Then again, if they adapt to the market place, create a streaming service strategy without a cable provider middle man, and get ahead of competition, it could become a larger financial win.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I prefer ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and their "30 for 30" series.
Both great series and I enjoy them as well. I didnt mean to come off as bashing ESPN either. I get more annoyed when Sports center runs several pieces in one show that are more suitable for OTL. If Im watching Sports center, I just want scores, stats and highlights, not scrutiny of a players personal life because they got pulled over for drinking and driving.

Again, not bashing them, it just feels like so much has changed over the years. Im just getting old and grumpy I think. I seriously get mad when a neighbor lets their dog walk on my grass. I dont spend hours out there to make it look like a golf course just so your dog can take a whizz on it!!!!! /end rant

WDWFigment

Haha, I did do a ;) so..

Honestly, I *still* don't know what you mean. Don't worry, I'm an idiot.

In any case, unlike other bloggers who pretend they have some inside source (I have none), I feel compelled to give credit where credit is due. Part of that is probably because without this site I wouldn't even be sharing the pictures I take at WDW, let along having my own blog. I owe @wdwmagic a lot.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
ESPN is also starting to face some new challenges as the cable companies are being squeezed to offer more programming a la carte and exclusivity deals with the leagues are being heavily scrutinized by consumers and the FCC. With more people dropping cable, in favor of subscription internet streaming service, the premium channels don't have the leverage they used to in terms of their bundles. Granted ESPN's multiple channels continue to be the best source for sports coverage but I think savvy viewers are beginning to turn to alternative live streams(albeit maybe illegally) and such creating a drop in demand. I won't be surprised if in the next few years Disney seeks a buyer for ESPN and dumps their visibility in the parks.Then again, if they adapt to the market place, create a streaming service strategy without a cable provider middle man, and get ahead of competition, it could become a larger financial win.
Im one of those people. I stream more sports matches nowadays. I started doing it for NFL games that were not being broadcast on my service and now I ve discovered many wonderful sporting events. Weve recently started watching Dog Dock Diving competitions and its easier to find them on streaming services. There are many streaming services you can pay for and I think your right that in the future ESPN and other networks will definitely move in that direction especially considering it will allow for more a la carte type service.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Both great series and I enjoy them as well. I didnt mean to come off as bashing ESPN either. I get more annoyed when Sports center runs several pieces in one show that are more suitable for OTL. If Im watching Sports center, I just want scores, stats and highlights, not scrutiny of a players personal life because they got pulled over for drinking and driving.

Again, not bashing them, it just feels like so much has changed over the years. Im just getting old and grumpy I think. I seriously get mad when a neighbor lets their dog walk on my grass. I dont spend hours out there to make it look like a golf course just so your dog can take a whizz on it!!!!! /end rant
I think the best ESPN programs do both. Sports news and information with the right dose of personality and analysis. I think College GameDay (football) is their best program by far, since it mixes those two things very well.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Im one of those people. I stream more sports matches nowadays. I started doing it for NFL games that were not being broadcast on my service and now I ve discovered many wonderful sporting events. Weve recently started watching Dog Dock Diving competitions and its easier to find them on streaming services. There are many streaming services you can pay for and I think your right that in the future ESPN and other networks will definitely move in that direction especially considering it will allow for more a la carte type service.
Streaming NFL games sounds very illegal.

People think they want a la carte, but it's going to be a shock to their budgets if and when it comes to fruition. People are going to go from $100 for 150 channels to $90 for 15 channels. The savings won't justify the loss of variety. Niche content is propped up by the bundle model.

Have you been following their "parting" with Simmons? I find fewer and fewer reasons to watch ESPN by the day, it seems...
Simmons was always about Simmons. ESPN doesn't want their talent to get bigger than "the brand." Awful Announcing had a good analysis about a week ago.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/esp...a-nobody-is-bigger-than-the-four-letters.html

PhotoDave219

Have you been following their "parting" with Simmons? I find fewer and fewer reasons to watch ESPN by the day, it seems...

Yes I have... But a friend from college just got hired by ESPN, so.....

I only watch ESPN for live sports otherwise. And even then.... I like the idea of getting it ala carte and streamed over the net. But there's a limit to how much I'll pay.

Cable bill wise? They've hit my limit.

PhotoDave219

Streaming NFL games sounds very illegal.

People think they want a la carte, but it's going to be a shock to their budgets if and when it comes to fruition. People are going to go from $100 for 150 channels to $90 for 15 channels. The savings won't justify the loss of variety. Niche content is propped up by the bundle model.

Simmons was always about Simmons. ESPN doesn't want their talent to get bigger than "the brand." Awful Announcing had a good analysis about a week ago.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/esp...a-nobody-is-bigger-than-the-four-letters.html

You can stream NFL games legally much like the MLB & NHL do for out of market games. However, it's only included with the top tier Direct TV Sunday Ticket package.

As for niche things? I watch Discovery, A&E, AMC, IFC, the Science Channel, occasionally ESPN and HBO for only three months a year.

I can live without TV. I've done it before.

FullSailDan

I'm sure you can, but the prices Comcast and others charge for standalone broadband are even more outrageous (IMO) than biting the bullet on the bundle.

Comcast screws you yes. Although most cable providers offer the same service bundled through something like Earthlink for cheaper. Also the speeds offered through their bundles typically aren't as good as the ones offered for the straight internet products.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Until they start streaming their media, playing games, and instagraming their dinner all at the same time. I used to bandwidth audits all the time and people are creeping up close to their advertised maxes. Sadly most of the providers don't actually pipe out what they say they do.
Who actually does that? I feel like that's more the caricature of the average American family more than the actual American family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom