A Spirited Perfect Ten

truecoat

That looks like so much fun. It reminds me of Orlando Tree Trek, one of my favorite things to do in central Florida - except the one in this video has water elements, which adds more of a challenge. :)

Yes - very sad situation. It was the Sky Trail ropes course at Artegon Marketplace last December.

Disney will have the safest rope course...
ropes course3.jpg

Goofyernmost

And my premise is that you can change that 1% with a company like Disney. They're big enough to start the trend. Others will follow suit.
I'm not saying that they can't, but, if you know how one is going to go about doing that, I will get on your bandwagon immediately. They only thing that talks to big money is more big money (or perhaps less big money) either way that is the only sure way of affecting change in that 1%. It's a sad story, but, has been the ruling point of the world since the first person that owned two cows instead of just one.

PhotoDave219

I'm not saying that they can't, but, if you know how one is going to go about doing that, I will get on your bandwagon immediately. They only thing that talks to big money is more big money (or perhaps less big money) either way that is the only sure way of affecting change in that 1%. It's a sad story, but, has been the ruling point of the world since the first person that owned two cows instead of just one.

And we wonder why the markets and wall street cannot regulate themselves....

Haymarket2008

On the kong topic,

The guys who made this are making the Kong AA...I would rather have that...than some not overly impressive dinosaur AAs because no can seems to get them done right for Florida's humidity.

That thing is super impressive. Unfortunately, that musical seems to be dead in the water... :/ BUT I remember hearing about how the Yeti in Everest was rumored to be employing a pulley system similar to this puppet. It was a theorized solution for the unreliable machine used today. Anyone can confirm this?

Cesar R M

Things aren't looking too good in China right now...not too good at all. I wonder if today's news is causing Bob Iger to perspire?
I actually wonder. The Chinese economy should hit TWDC twice right?
The money that they obtain from china.. will be valued less (depreciation). But also... Thanks to the (probable)shrinking middle class, might make them miss the estimate attendance levels?

Goofyernmost

and in case you miss the point again.. the above reply is SARCASM.
Sorry, but it may be what you call sarcasm, but the rolling of eyes means that you feel that whatever the other person has said is nothing but stupid. There is no sarcasm font anywhere on this site. I wish there were because there is a huge difference between sarcasm and insults. That font, unless it is in relation to something that you said that you consider less then brilliant, is nothing more then talking down to someone. Words do work, however, and that I can find palatable. If you can find nothing better to do then to insult people with no backup to your arguments maybe you should stay away from this section. I can't speak for everyone here, and don't intend too, but, unless you show me how your thoughts are more solid then mine, it will not be considered a conversation.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Sorry, but it may be what you call sarcasm, but the rolling of eyes means that you feel that whatever the other person has said is nothing but stupid. There is no sarcasm font anywhere on this site. I wish there were because there is a huge difference between sarcasm and insults. That font, unless it is in relation to something that you said that you consider less then brilliant, is nothing more then talking down to someone. Words do work, however, and that I can find palatable. If you can find nothing better to do then to insult people with no backup to your arguments maybe you should stay away from this section. I can't speak for everyone here, and don't intend too, but, unless you show me how your thoughts are more solid then mine, it will not be considered a conversation.

I dont mean to put words in Cesar's mouth.... However, there's an uptick in "Disney is a business" being used as a dismissive way to end an argument.

Granted in here, we do go a bit farther, looking at the CAPEX, per capita/per room guest spending, occupancy and other metrics surrounding the company. We got quite a bit farther and we all realize that this company is a business and they want to maintain an insane profit margin. (Think drug dealer profits or Tribune/Gannett in the 90s). And most of us would like to see Disney thinking strategically and long term rather than living quarter to quarter. They can afford to and in some aspects of their theme parks business, they simply cant run with the spreadsheet mentality. Maintenance and safety, especially RCES are places they simply cant cut corners... yet we've all seen Disney trying to find way to do so.

I once heard a story from an acquaintance.... they told me that the parking lot revenue covers the labor costs for the day and everything else was just profit. Its probably off, but it seems like a reasonable assumption if you toss in gate revenues.

Everything keeps getting cut over and over again. Entertainment cuts, like with off kilter? Its justified with "Disney is a business." Prices going up? "Disney is a business." Poor guest service due to low paid employees? "Disney is a business" Selling off land around RCID? "Disney is a business." No security at night to find a naked girl in the bushes? "Disney is a business"

So after awhile, the same repetitive excuse for Disney's behaviors seems cliche and a justification for anything. After all these years, I know thats not your approach nor take on it, but it seems like thats everyone else's justification for poor management decisions.

IMO.

Nubs70

I dont mean to put words in Cesar's mouth.... However, there's an uptick in "Disney is a business" being used as a dismissive way to end an argument.

Granted in here, we do go a bit farther, looking at the CAPEX, per capita/per room guest spending, occupancy and other metrics surrounding the company. We got quite a bit farther and we all realize that this company is a business and they want to maintain an insane profit margin. (Think drug dealer profits or Tribune/Gannett in the 90s). And most of us would like to see Disney thinking strategically and long term rather than living quarter to quarter. They can afford to and in some aspects of their theme parks business, they simply cant run with the spreadsheet mentality. Maintenance and safety, especially RCES are places they simply cant cut corners... yet we've all seen Disney trying to find way to do so.

I once heard a story from an acquaintance.... they told me that the parking lot revenue covers the labor costs for the day and everything else was just profit. Its probably off, but it seems like a reasonable assumption if you toss in gate revenues.

Everything keeps getting cut over and over again. Entertainment cuts, like with off kilter? Its justified with "Disney is a business." Prices going up? "Disney is a business." Poor guest service due to low paid employees? "Disney is a business" Selling off land around RCID? "Disney is a business." No security at night to find a naked girl in the bushes? "Disney is a business"

So after awhile, the same repetitive excuse for Disney's behaviors seems cliche and a justification for anything. After all these years, I know thats not your approach nor take on it, but it seems like thats everyone else's justification for poor management decisions.

IMO.
And if anyone has been near the topic of corporate strategy, the means and motivation of the company is more than "Company X is a Business." That would make one heck of a mission statement that would inspire confidence in both employees and customers.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I'm actually curious where the "it's a business" people would draw the line with practices that harm a consumer. Lead paint in toys for instance seemed like a pretty big deal for parents worried about their kids being poisoned (whether you think it's actually important or not), I've never witnessed any parents justifying a toy maker's use of this chemical with a line like "i'm fine with this, they're a business after all". And safety cuts are not unprecedented for Disney, there's the unfortunate deaths at Disneyland during the Pressler/Harriss years (can't remember if i spelled those correctly). And more recently the security failure at Disney Springs.

I can't say i've ever witnessed so many regular people so insistent in defending actions that harm them and other customers (and the company itself in the long term). All for the benefit of the super rich that neither care about the company they work for nor have any desire to see the company survive past their very brief term. It's baffling, but also somewhat disturbing when you think about it. I'd call it almost masochistic, but it goes beyond singular individual ignorance. It's an extremely dangerous and toxic thing to defend negative business practices as it impacts society as a whole when individuals start accepting and spreading this mentality.

In the past, a reasonable and rational person would immediately assume you were being paid by a business to defend actions that harm the customer. It's common for businesses to hire shills to spread positive PR and try to diffuse public unrest against their anti-consumer practices. But now we've got a distressing number of ordinary people who aren't even being paid to do so (I assume anyways), eager to do it without a paycheck for reasons I cannot fathom...

If you're going to use the "it's a business line" to every action a company makes that compromises the customer's enjoyment and/or safety, there is only one appropriate response to that statement-

"Every cut you make to the business and customer experience brings you one step closer to going OUT of business".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom