A Spirited Perfect Ten

culturenthrills

Werent you in love with the Disco Yeti Mr. Dave?
I think you're a fluffy monster lover!

I actually feel sorry for the actors in Falling Skies.
The show had such great promise and was ruined by horrible writing.
Hopefully the culling of the "The Masons(tm)" will begin and we will get less useless drama of them.

I know one of them has to die. Yeah, it has gone downhill. I'm just along to see the end. But so much wasted opportunity.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Finally caught up. Now to begin the three days it takes me to watch Sunday night TV. True Detective, Ballers, The Brink, John Oliver, The Last Ship, Falling Skies, Humans, Halt and Catch Fire, Ray Donavan, Masters of Sex, Rick and Morty, Aqua Teens. Note to TV executives, stop putting so much damn TV on Sunday nights.

funny, the only thing I watched was Battlebots and was thoroughly entertained...too bad its over already

the.dreamfinder

Well, that might be because Disney is a business, is now, always has been. Walt operated it with different style and with a feeling of personal interest, because, well, because it was his personal interest. That ended in 1966, almost 50 years ago. Since then it has been run differently by different people, but, it has always been a business. Walt needed it to make enough money to finance his dreams and exercise his genius level creativity and insight. It is now done to create a profit for the stockholders, different reasons, but, that doesn't alter its overall mission, just its motivation.

Disney was and to a large extent, still is, a unique type of business built on dreams and warm fuzzies that it gives it's customers. That doesn't stop it from being a business and all the denial in the world will not change that. In my opinion, anyone that denies that either has their heads buried in the sand or deep down do not want to see the place continue. Without the "business" motivation, at this point, it would soon be just a part of history. One can roll their eyes until they fall out of their heads, it still is what it is and what it always has been. Just as soon as they stop charging extortion level prices and let us all in for free, let me know, and I will admit that it no longer is a business. Of course, the side effect of that is that it just plain will be no longer.
But should the tail wag the dog?

Captain Neo

There's 3 reasons to disagree:
1. King Kong was a legendary attraction for both Universal parks
2. Although the closing of Kong at USF was sad, the burning down of the one in Hollywood made people upset enough for them to create a new attraction and bring Peter Jackson on board and from what I've heard its been very popular over there.
3. As others mentioned, no one really knew that Jurassic World would be this popular, especially after the other JP sequels didn't do as well.

The other JP sequels did fine. The only installment that was slightly disappointing was JP3. The original and The Lost World were huge blockbusters.

PhotoDave219

Well, that might be because Disney is a business, is now, always has been. Walt operated it with different style and with a feeling of personal interest, because, well, because it was his personal interest. That ended in 1966, almost 50 years ago. Since then it has been run differently by different people, but, it has always been a business. Walt needed it to make enough money to finance his dreams and exercise his genius level creativity and insight. It is now done to create a profit for the stockholders, different reasons, but, that doesn't alter its overall mission, just its motivation.

Disney was and to a large extent, still is, a unique type of business built on dreams and warm fuzzies that it gives it's customers. That doesn't stop it from being a business and all the denial in the world will not change that. In my opinion, anyone that denies that either has their heads buried in the sand or deep down do not want to see the place continue. Without the "business" motivation, at this point, it would soon be just a part of history. One can roll their eyes until they fall out of their heads, it still is what it is and what it always has been. Just as soon as they stop charging extortion level prices and let us all in for free, let me know, and I will admit that it no longer is a business. Of course, the side effect of that is that it just plain will be no longer.

Of course, just because they're a business doesn't mean they can't be an ethical business and an industry trendsetter.

Stevek

So apparently, the full slate of Star Wars movies has leaked. We pretty much already know about Eps. 7-9 and Rogue One. But...

This is taken from a pic apparently snapped during a meeting at Comic-con. Post I saw was over at epicstream so take it for what it's worth.

Wikkler

So apparently, the full slate of Star Wars movies has leaked. We pretty much already know about Eps. 7-9 and Rogue One. But...

This is taken from a pic apparently snapped during a meeting at Comic-con. Post I saw was over at epicstream so take it for what it's worth.
I could not see the attempted "spoiler" (next time just use the button on the toolbar), but I also want to say I think I saw that image before on another thread and might have been proven to be a fake photoshopped image using a stock photo of theater seats.

Cesar R M

I know one of them has to die. Yeah, it has gone downhill. I'm just along to see the end. But so much wasted opportunity.
Well, the new episode was way more decent.
Unfortunately.. we got 2 bad tropes already that ruined the episode..
Tom gets kidnapped yet again.. .
And the carp dang love triangle is still going on..

Pope was fantastic this.. he finally converted in to the 100% selfish ahole he was always supposed to be!

As for me.. I really wished they could have left an entire season for other survivors.. hell.. how about one about the Spheni and their reasons.. another part of the fall of the Donia.. and the third of the involvement of the Volm.
But no.. we had to have "Meet The Masons(tm)" in every season :/

Cesar R M

Congrats on missing the point entirely.

Of course, just because they're a business doesn't mean they can't be an ethical business and an industry trendsetter.

Agree!

Cesar R M

So Jurassic World...it was ok, not as great as the hype and box office makes it out to be though.
It was definitively an entertaining flick. Not exactly a "master piece". But I think the involvement of Pratt, the Bike part and the return of the T-rex.. made the movie very popular.

Speaking of which.. Jurassic park already soared past The Avengers in total box office.

Steel City Magic

Well, the new episode was way more decent.
Unfortunately.. we got 2 bad tropes already that ruined the episode..
Tom gets kidnapped yet again.. .
And the carp dang love triangle is still going on..

Pope was fantastic this.. he finally converted in to the 100% selfish ahole he was always supposed to be!

As for me.. I really wished they could have left an entire season for other survivors.. hell.. how about one about the Spheni and their reasons.. another part of the fall of the Donia.. and the third of the involvement of the Volm.
But no.. we had to have "Meet The Masons(tm)" in every season :/
Shame to hear the show fell apart. Caught the first 3 seasons then I kinda fell off on it. I always equated it to walking dead with aliens instead of zombies. At least the seasons I watched, it was more about the peoples humanity than the aliens.
Whatever happened to the Librarians spin off? Did it tank right away?

Cesar R M

Shame to hear the show fell apart. Caught the first 3 seasons then I kinda fell off on it. I always equated it to walking dead with aliens instead of zombies. At least the seasons I watched, it was more about the peoples humanity than the aliens.
Agree, the problem is.. that they have pushed the same rehashed plots way too many times.
There is always a traitor, there is always a love issue, there is always drama, there is always Tom going to save his kids.
And tom always gets kidnapped somehow lol

Steel City Magic

Many shows these days run into the rehash issue from season to season I've noticed. Californication and SOA come to mind.
EDIT: Tony good point

Last edited:

jt04

It was definitively an entertaining flick. Not exactly a "master piece". But I think the involvement of Pratt, the Bike part and the return of the T-rex.. made the movie very popular.

My theory is that the CG is breakthrough in this movie. Subtle but effective and audiences are responding. Similar to the way Avatar raised the bar. I think this because it is the first heavily CG movie that did not make me fall asleep. And the story was average.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom