A Spirited Perfect Ten

DocMcHulk

An there's the entire MM+ debate in fifty words or less. If you're a planner, thumbs up. If you're not, thumbs down. Disney's internal data seems to have told them that the former outnumber the latter (or that they're more profitable at least).
Of all my friends who have gone to WDW in the last year, i can only think of ONE family that actually liked it, and even they had serious technical issues.

Also, among those friends, people love to plan when/where they are eating. But, they dont want to plan rides.

bhg469

Have you used it?
Yes.
What don't you like about it?
We were forced to make reservations we didn't want, we were only there for a day and could only use fast passes for one park.. One of our bands wouldn't link to our tickets. Pirates queue is half the fun, not have of that fun is unavailable because I didn't want to burn a fastpass just to see the queue

It made our vacation much easier to navigate.
We ended up barely using it because we didn't want to chain ourselves to a schedule on our vacation. Once we put away our phones we some how enjoyed each others company rather than wondering how we should attack our micromanaged trip. Its a vacation, not a game of RISK

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Shanghai Surprises Set To Be Released in 12 Hours:

And, it would appear that the CCP doesn't have issues at this point as O-Town based DPBlogger Shawn Slater has been tweeting up a storm on the subject:
@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

Big doin's this week in Shanghai, as Disney prepares to announce details about #ShanghaiDisneyResort and #ShanghaiDisneyland Park!

Shawn Slater ‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago
Tune in to Good Morning America tomorrow, as Bob Woodruff reports live from the #ShanghaiDisneyResort Media Showcase. @GMA

‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

You can also watch the #ShanghaiDisneyResort reveal live online here: http://news.qq.com/zt2015/shdr/index.htm… The big event starts at 6 am Eastern tomorrow!

WDW1974

Original Poster
The question remains who will be Disney's top official allowed on-hand to officiate. Will it be Chapie? Or Stanley Cheung?

One can surmise we will finally have an opening date, although you just never know. But since no one is interested here, I'm sure it will be so quiet that you could hear a dead mouse drop.

cdd89

I sort of abandoned this topic earlier in this thread as I didn't want to detail things but since the train has come to the tracks...

I'm not going to argue there aren't serious disadvantages to MM+. But there are advantages too.

It's great to be able to go to WDW in the evening on the first day, and get full benefit from FP+. Similarly, on a last day, reservations can be bunched together in the morning.

I occasionally wonder how I'll feel about MM+ when it inevitably comes to Paris (my nearest park). The more I have visited Disney, the more I think it's actually to my advantage. I don't put a huge premium on "number of attractions experienced" (whereas infrequent visitors do), so the loss of efficiency doesn't bother me as much as it did when I first heard about the new system. And if in return for that, I can decide when in the day to experience my attractions without criss crossing the parks and trying to arrive to collect tickets at the right times - in other words, I can eject strategy from my mind (because once the times are set, there is none) and enjoy my time at the parks while I'm in there - I think it's more than worth the disadvantages.

Ultimately it comes down to touring styles. An experienced "commando" tourer is going to feel restricted by MM+ and that's that. New guests are likely "wannabe" commando tourers, but they likely record an increase in satisfaction because it's less complex (strategically) and they don't know what they're missing. That leaves "atmosphere" visitors, which I suggest includes many locals, who benefit for the reasons given above.

For all the credit we give Disney of the 90s, little chits of paper produced by machines that rarely read your ticket are not magical. Nor are iPhone apps that only work half the time, of course, but if we ignore the real flaws, MM+ is at its heart a better system for certain types of guest.

BrianLo

The question remains who will be Disney's top official allowed on-hand to officiate. Will it be Chapie? Or Stanley Cheung?

One can surmise we will finally have an opening date, although you just never know. But since no one is interested here, I'm sure it will be so quiet that you could hear a dead mouse drop.

I'll bite the bullet and get up to watch it. I have the morning off anyways.

ProjectXBlog

OK, no Minions for me. I've been convinced it's a children's film and one I can view on a flight. So, it's getting a skip from me. I'm sure most UNI fanbois will use it 'prove' my 'hate' for their beloved company.
i hate minions so much. like why are they EVERYWHERE now? grown people wearing minions shirts smh. you would think this was a fad like stitch, but he went out of style after only what, 4 years? will minions ever go away?

zooey

i hate minions so much. like why are they EVERYWHERE now? grown people wearing minions shirts smh. you would think this was a fad like stitch, but he went out of style after only what, 4 years? will minions ever go away?
Step into Hot Topic and you will see that Stitch is as popular as ever.

Cody5294

Doesnt everyone want to be in Har..... errr... nvm.

I dug Suicide Squad more than Zac Snyder's "How to Ruin two fantastic Characters with one movie"....
Suicide Squad>Civil War. A trailer for Civil War though could easily change mind. 2016 is going to be a great year for comic fans

Last edited:

ProjectXBlog

Suicide Squad>Civil War. A trailer for Civil War though could easily change mind. 2016 is going to be a great year for comic fans
it's kind of hard to compare a movie that you've seen one teaser for to a movie that hasn't had any promo materials released yet. like yeah by default suicide squad wins but why not reserve judgement until like christmas

mahnamahna101

OK, no Minions for me. I've been convinced it's a children's film and one I can view on a flight. So, it's getting a skip from me. I'm sure most UNI fanbois will use it 'prove' my 'hate' for their beloved company.
Nope. I wouldn't blame you one bit for not being interested in Minions.

Unlike Pixar, WDAS, Studio Ghibli, Laika, some DreamWorks, or Aardman, the folks at Illumination hardly even bother to give teens/adults any sort of substance. The first DM was a fluke. All of their efforts since then haven't quite equaled the first.

I may love Universal, but the Minions certainly aren't why ;)

merry68

If/when MyMagic+ arrives in Anaheim it will have to be a lighter, more nimble, less mandatory hybrid version that bears little resemblance to the Orlando legacy version.

The reason why is due to the lack of a captive audience at Disneyland. There are over 22,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Disneyland (with three new corporate hotels nearing completion this summer), but only 2,400 of those rooms are owned and operated by Disney. There are only fifty DVC villas at the Disneyland Resort. 50!

Thus, Disney owns and operates barely 10% of the hotel stock for tourists visiting the Disneyland Resort. Plus a similarly small number of the restaurants, shops, bars, tourist services, etc. in the Anaheim Resort District. And all the tourists from Seattle or Seoul or Salt Lake or Sydney who fill all those rooms weekly are using Anaheim as their base camp for extended trips throughout Southern California, in a dynamic environment that Disney has no control over.

The captive audience just isn't there like it is at WDW.

That said, if Disney could figure out a way to give Disneyland Annual Passholders lots of real or perceived value from a reconfigured MyMagic+ system, then Anaheim could go into totally uncharted territory with such a system...

I was out West 3 weeks ago. Prior to my trip, I received a survey about Disneyland, specifically hotels and amenities, and Fast Pass was discussed. image.jpgimage.jpg
Thought you'd enjoy the "definitions" presented at the beginning of the survey.
Hoping my pics show up.

mahnamahna101

Regardless, I still won't be able to look past just the mistakes they've made in the initial attraction lineup.

Peter Pan and Pooh as vanilla C-tickets instead of grand E-tickets
SDMT instead of an original family coaster (or better yet... Bald Mountain)
Budget cuts for Lost World Rapids (the original headliner)
Pirates not having a 50-55 ft drop at the end
Soarin' clone instead of an original E-ticket (Fire Mountain or something else)
No Star Wars
No Marvel
No Pixar beyond Toy Story
Buzz likely being the same as what we have elsewhere, rather than a high-caliber D/E.

Shanghai just feels extremely half-baked. And that doesn't even go into all of the unnecessary Iger/Shanghai controversy...

SJN1279

Yes.

We were forced to make reservations we didn't want, we were only there for a day and could only use fast passes for one park.. One of our bands wouldn't link to our tickets. Pirates queue is half the fun, not have of that fun is unavailable because I didn't want to burn a fastpass just to see the queue

We ended up barely using it because we didn't want to chain ourselves to a schedule on our vacation. Once we put away our phones we some how enjoyed each others company rather than wondering how we should attack our micromanaged trip. Its a vacation, not a game of RISK

So you enjoyed the old way of showing up to the park in the afternoon during a busy summer, and being faced with long lines and limited fastpass availability? If you switch parks, you can always get a FB for the new park. There are good and bad to any system, but I enjoyed Fastpass + quite a bit, and loved not having to store fastpasses and park tickets in my wallet. In fact, I didn't even need to bring my wallet into the parks, it was just a major convenience.

SJN1279

Of all my friends who have gone to WDW in the last year, i can only think of ONE family that actually liked it, and even they had serious technical issues.

Also, among those friends, people love to plan when/where they are eating. But, they dont want to plan rides.
If you don't plan ahead before visiting WDW, you will be stuck on long lines, and most likely have a miserable experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom