A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

I put this here for three reasons

1) It's an interesting read that highlights not just how different generations look at a topic, but outlines HOW those thoughts have been steered over time
2) It's a common topic about WDW and interesting in speaking some what to the change that we've seen over time
3) It's just damn refreshing to find a news piece that is stimulating to read that isn't full of clickbait, sensationalism, and general extremism to generate interest. On top of that... it doesn't have anything to do with random people we shouldn't give a crap about!

An interesting read

We don’t trust drinking fountains anymore, and that’s bad for our health
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...eca9bc-15f0-11e5-9ddc-e3353542100c_story.html

Yet the splitting irony... this is in the Opinion section (mainly due to the title I suppose) -- yet is better rooted than the majority of news you read
Jeez, I knew the bottled water cult was strong, but not that strong.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think that's more of a Japanese thing. Ratatouille became Remy's Magic Kitchen, Meet the Robinsons was Lewis and the Future Thief, Brave was Merida and the Forest of Fear, Frozen was Anna and the Snow Queen, and Up became Grandpa Carl's Flying House.

No, it's chinese too...I have some chinese friends who told me about it

WDW1974

Original Poster
Which, frankly, is going to be the primary driver of growth going forward. The parks are jam packed. Attendance isn't the place to grow. Room nights are.

ETA: Room nights and price increases.

But they aren't packed. One park is packed: the Ghetto Kingdom. And even that park isn't packed all the time, just a lot of it.

The other parks have vast capacity that has been removed. Just take the WoL at EPCOT ... the facility had three major attractions, two minor ones, a shop and a QSR. Or take the Studio Tour at MGM etc ...

This overcrowding is 90% Disney's own doing and 10% simply increasing crowds.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

RWvHdfr.gif

Cesar R M

They won't. Take it to the bank.

DCL should have had them a decade ago (being that TWDC is sooo forwad thinking and all!)

And I could see them in Japan, BUT ... the OLC doesn't want them. They want to spend billions on attractions and upgrades to their parks.

But Paris?!?! China?!?! ... yeah, I see that working out well!
I think we had a conversation about the DCL portion already.

As the "Quantum Class" debacles of Royal Caribbean as demonstrated.
having everything joined, linked and splattered in a single system is not a good idea.
Because a single fail, it can cascade and get all your visitors fuming in fury.

Cesar R M

Two things....first, the building exterior doesn't say TRON to me at all but maybe it will look cool at night. Second, the interior feels a bit like the Anaheim/Tokyo Space Mountain queue layout from what i can tell....Tokyo already updated their effects and spaceship inside the queue, I bet it will have a similar feel, though the coaster itself will be different.

I'm hoping we'll get the Daft Punk soundtrack, and also....I know most movies in China end up having their names changed to be much more descriptive. So instead of "Shrek" it was something like "Green Ogre tries to win the girl" or something crazy...does anyone know if TRON was re-named for it's Chinese release?
Will we get an epic name as good as "Backstroke of the West" ?

6e2FhmR.jpg

Cesar R M

Thanks!!! What a great read. And so telling about where our society is.

I use drinking fountains all the time and I see friends -- yes, Millennials, look like I'm drinking in a a TB/HIV/Cancer-causing stream of sewage.

It astounds me to this day that bottled water is a thing in the developed world. I've never bought a bottle of water in the USA in my life. And most of the developed world. I even use the drinking fountains at HKDL and have lived to tell the tale (now in Shanghai, I likely won't but that is a different story altogether!)

I wish I had thought of bottled water as a get rich quick scheme.
To be honest.. Pretty sure the majority of the people are not worried about the water..
But of the faucet contamination.
I've seen dbags using their tongues in some of the water fountains ( I dont remember it it was Houston Zoo, but it was back in the 2005-2006 years)

And in other case.. a dude letting their dogs lick straight from there.

As for bottled stuff.. I still remember that selling canned air is becoming a trend in Shangai and other super contaminated cities..

anyone remembers this guy?
9BSwtHA.jpg

SJN1279

Just returned from WDW, and I have to say that Fastpass + is a huge improvement over the original fastpass system. There was no more separating from my group, backtracking throughout the park to secure fastpasses. If you wanted to change or update your fastpass, it was as simple as a few clicks on your Iphone. I also loved the magic band, made my life a heck of a lot easier in the theme park as a whole.

Oh, and I loved the Frozen sing-a-long, much better than I imagined it would be.

SJN1279

But they aren't packed. One park is packed: the Ghetto Kingdom. And even that park isn't packed all the time, just a lot of it.

The other parks have vast capacity that has been removed. Just take the WoL at EPCOT ... the facility had three major attractions, two minor ones, a shop and a QSR. Or take the Studio Tour at MGM etc ...

This overcrowding is 90% Disney's own doing and 10% simply increasing crowds.

The Wonders of Life was a ghost town the last few times that I visited. It was a pavilion with potential, but never clicked.

TP2000

As our west coasters (hey @TP2000 ... and @GiveMeTheMusic ... and @raven24 ... and even @WDWFigment .... paging you to the thread!) will attest, that isn't how DLR is consumed by Guests. And, yes, that is both the local 20-something coming in after classes in Fullerton or the family of six from Austin or Australia.

If/when MyMagic+ arrives in Anaheim it will have to be a lighter, more nimble, less mandatory hybrid version that bears little resemblance to the Orlando legacy version.

The reason why is due to the lack of a captive audience at Disneyland. There are over 22,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Disneyland (with three new corporate hotels nearing completion this summer), but only 2,400 of those rooms are owned and operated by Disney. There are only fifty DVC villas at the Disneyland Resort. 50!

Thus, Disney owns and operates barely 10% of the hotel stock for tourists visiting the Disneyland Resort. Plus a similarly small number of the restaurants, shops, bars, tourist services, etc. in the Anaheim Resort District. And all the tourists from Seattle or Seoul or Salt Lake or Sydney who fill all those rooms weekly are using Anaheim as their base camp for extended trips throughout Southern California, in a dynamic environment that Disney has no control over.

The captive audience just isn't there like it is at WDW.

That said, if Disney could figure out a way to give Disneyland Annual Passholders lots of real or perceived value from a reconfigured MyMagic+ system, then Anaheim could go into totally uncharted territory with such a system...

bhg469

Just returned from WDW, and I have to say that Fastpass + is a huge improvement over the original fastpass system. There was no more separating from my group, backtracking throughout the park to secure fastpasses. If you wanted to change or update your fastpass, it was as simple as a few clicks on your Iphone. I also loved the magic band, made my life a heck of a lot easier in the theme park as a whole.

Oh, and I loved the Frozen sing-a-long, much better than I imagined it would be.
You of all people loved it?! Wow... It has a chance of being a success.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Not a comic fan?

Huge comic fan here. I'm so sick of the "Grim dark" interpretation of superheroes. Snyder's Superman was the antithesis of what Superman stands for as a literary character. The movie was also incredibly boring and convoluted.

I don't mind new interpretations, i.e. Marvel's cinematic universe. I also love DC, so I'm not just ragging on them to rag. They're doing a great job on TV with Arrow, Flash, and the upcoming Super Girl. I just can't stand the DC movie universe. I will say that I will give the Suicide Squad a chance, but I'm just not a fan of the direction they're going at all.

Californian Elitist

It won't work out there and it won't be accepted. At least not in the same WDW version of uber-planning, high-strung Guests, who say they enjoy vacationing by spreadsheet and apps.

As our west coasters (hey @TP2000 ... and @GiveMeTheMusic ... and @raven24 ... and even @WDWFigment .... paging you to the thread!) will attest, that isn't how DLR is consumed by Guests. And, yes, that is both the local 20-something coming in after classes in Fullerton or the family of six from Austin or Australia.

Smaller aspects can and will work. You see that already in the Fantasmic ticketing (which is exactly what WoC has done for five years now!)

Yes, bits of MM have already made its way here, unsurprisingly. FP+, on the other hand... I don't see how the way it currently works in Orlando could ever work in Anaheim. The only way I could possibly see it working is if they allow guests/APs to reserve an FP on the day of and not months, weeks, and days prior. If there weren't so many people who drop by on a whim and unexpectedly (like I do), the current system could possibly work, but alas...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom