A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I never said I discounted anything @whylightbulb said nor doubted him. He knows I like & respect what I he offers up and he also knows that I'd check it out before jumping to any vast conclusions.

What I don't care for is someone coming in and saying "Oh that must mean Tom Sawyers Island must be closing".... because you can't even make the case for that. There's nothing to support that. Its a conclusion that simply cannot be made from the information available.

Do we have an indication that Frontierland is about to get some love? Yes. Might it involve an E-Ticket? Quite possibly. Does that mean TSI is closing? Certainly not.

No, it doesn't.

I just don't put anything past Disney.

They play on nostalgia, yet actively destroy everything that made WDW, WDW, on a daily basis.

Cupcakes are swell.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Im hoping with the box office success of Inside Out that it takes over Imagination as well. It only had a 42% drop this weekend with Minions entering the marketplace, which is fantastic. This is the best word of mouth for a Disney film since Frozen

I'd prefer WoL to be honest....

Yes. This.

It wouldn't kill me (sorry, Phil!) to see Imagination, but really there are two pavilions that need massive makeovers and new attractions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I certainly see Magicbands going worldwide in various phases, to include DCL (they would be uber handy for DCL, imho). But, I actually like Magicbands. So...

I agree though, their mindset about it, as well as the dev costs, I just don't see it staying away for too long.

They won't. Take it to the bank.

DCL should have had them a decade ago (being that TWDC is sooo forwad thinking and all!)

And I could see them in Japan, BUT ... the OLC doesn't want them. They want to spend billions on attractions and upgrades to their parks.

But Paris?!?! China?!?! ... yeah, I see that working out well!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So I am hoping I am not slaughtered for writing this with so few posts (but, I have been a member - and actively reading - for more than a year now)...

I have been wondering, and really have not seen any in-depth discussions, about the story behind the current story of (as Articos stated) us getting "excited" now. When you look at PhotoDave's capacity analyses for the past few years (which I am sure TDO is doing regularly), what changed?

If WDI is constantly working on concepts, was this driven more by Iger or Staggs? Could Iger be legacy shopping right now with the spending split between his last few years and Staggs/CEO To Be Named? Or, could this be Staggs making his case to Wall Street now he's COO that he can expand capacity responsibly --- which, of course, will drive increases in gate, average room rates, and profits? Would love to learn more about the motivations, since the likely Wall Street short term reaction when announced will be a reduction in share price?

EDIT: Interesting note that some Wall Street analysts are reducing TWDC's 3Q year-over-year comparisons (but think the 4Q will be strong): http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2015/07/08/tough-comps-ahead-for-disney-warns-nomura/

Why would you be slaughtered for this? I only wish to torture (not slaughter) passive aggressive morons (not that we have any of them here in MAGIC Land!)

Iger's Legacy is all about acquisitions and China. That's it. And that's all it will be. Expansions and additions to WDW and DL that won't be completed until years (many) after he leaves the company just aren't legacy-building material.

As to Staggs, Wall Street is certainly paying attention to the ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' because ... well .. they aren't sold on him being the Chosen One.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Really? I know the current plan isn't for a third gate in Anaheim soon, but I'm surprised you'd lump it in with the 5th gate WDW pipe dream.

Plans existed before, if we continue on the current trajectory the Toy Story lot is too valuable to keep as a parking lot forever...

I've talked to enough people in the biz recently to strongly surmise that Disney wants to expand what it has and that's it.

HarrisburgMouse

As to Staggs, Wall Street is certainly paying attention to the ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' because ... well .. they aren't sold on him being the Chosen One.

The WDW expansion project is full of landmines for Staggs future. Between the WDW project, as well as DL and other international projects mentioned, Cap Ex spending will be very high---tying up net free cash flow. Staggs needs to hope nothing derails the projected continued growth in P&R, ESPN, and movies over the next 2 fiscal years, or I am not sure how he the Board will be able to name him as CEO without a massive backlash from Wall Street.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I suppose that old Geyser Mountain plan could be dusted off, too.

I'd love it, but I'd be shocked.

That's what makes this whole idea confounding.

Follow the logic here (because it will save you pages of armchair Imagineering):

1.) Disney only builds in US parks with IP. There is no current IP they could use. I don't see a Zorro dark ride or a Mike Fink water (non-raft) adventure ride. They certainly won't be doing Lone Ranger (sadly!);

2.) Disney likes to clone. What can they clone that fits? They aren't bringing over HKDL's Grizzly Mountain anymore than the delusional fanbois hopes for Mystic Manor at DAK, so what else?:

3.) Raft rides are about the cheapest E-Tickets you can add.

I just don't like where LOGIC leads me.

bhg469

Follow the logic here (because it will save you pages of armchair Imagineering):

1.) Disney only builds in US parks with IP. There is no current IP they could use. I don't see a Zorro dark ride or a Mike Fink water (non-raft) adventure ride. They certainly won't be doing Lone Ranger (sadly!);

2.) Disney likes to clone. What can they clone that fits? They aren't bringing over HKDL's Grizzly Mountain anymore than the delusional fanbois hopes for Mystic Manor at DAK, so what else?:

Indy?

Funmeister

Yeah, a Woody's Roundup River Rapid ride does not appeal to me at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought the rapids ride once proposed for FL was an updated version of the Lewis and Clark ride for Disney's America? The same project which would later spawn Grizzly and Kali.
Lewis%20and%20Clark.jpg

http://2719hyperion.blogspot.com/2008/08/lost-imagineering-lewis-and-clark.html?m=1

Yes. And they wanted to toss it in (it was planned) to HKDL as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://news.qq.com/zt2015/shdr/mobile.htm

Yes, countdown clock times out on Wednesday at 6am EST. Two more videos before than (the fourth is definitely for tomorrowland). The third has a placeholder image of Aurora so not sure if it will be for gardens of imagination/fantasyland again. The third video should in theory be available sometime today.

Yep. That is simply a countdown for the media event/announcements to follow ... what they will entail is what interests me.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tron coaster concept art

http://www./headlines/tron-ride-concept-art-released-for-shanghai-disneyland-in-new-teaser/

Two things....first, the building exterior doesn't say TRON to me at all but maybe it will look cool at night. Second, the interior feels a bit like the Anaheim/Tokyo Space Mountain queue layout from what i can tell....Tokyo already updated their effects and spaceship inside the queue, I bet it will have a similar feel, though the coaster itself will be different.

I'm hoping we'll get the Daft Punk soundtrack, and also....I know most movies in China end up having their names changed to be much more descriptive. So instead of "Shrek" it was something like "Green Ogre tries to win the girl" or something crazy...does anyone know if TRON was re-named for it's Chinese release?

WDW1974

Original Poster
An there's the entire MM+ debate in fifty words or less. If you're a planner, thumbs up. If you're not, thumbs down. Disney's internal data seems to have told them that the former outnumber the latter (or that they're more profitable at least).

The data that is manipulated to get whatever results the company is looking for likely trumps all. But the Mommy Blogger data helps justify things too.

asianway

They won't. Take it to the bank.

DCL should have had them a decade ago (being that TWDC is sooo forwad thinking and all!)

And I could see them in Japan, BUT ... the OLC doesn't want them. They want to spend billions on attractions and upgrades to their parks.

But Paris?!?! China?!?! ... yeah, I see that working out well!
Paris lifestylers complain their 200E AP is too much. It's an entirely different world

GiveMeTheMusic

It won't work out there and it won't be accepted. At least not in the same WDW version of uber-planning, high-strung Guests, who say they enjoy vacationing by spreadsheet and apps.

As our west coasters (hey @TP2000 ... and @GiveMeTheMusic ... and @raven24 ... and even @WDWFigment .... paging you to the thread!) will attest, that isn't how DLR is consumed by Guests. And, yes, that is both the local 20-something coming in after classes in Fullerton or the family of six from Austin or Australia.

Smaller aspects can and will work. You see that already in the Fantasmic ticketing (which is exactly what WoC has done for five years now!)

With the numbers of APs that DLR has, I'm not sure how they could work FP+ without making it day-of only and allowing resort guests to have an earlier crack at it (which would be fine as the resort guests is a small segment of the daily visiting population). I think it's a bad idea, but it would let some smart APs get more done on their short visits.

Like anything else, there will be the ones who figure out how to game the system. It all sounds exhausting.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I put this here for three reasons

1) It's an interesting read that highlights not just how different generations look at a topic, but outlines HOW those thoughts have been steered over time
2) It's a common topic about WDW and interesting in speaking some what to the change that we've seen over time
3) It's just damn refreshing to find a news piece that is stimulating to read that isn't full of clickbait, sensationalism, and general extremism to generate interest. On top of that... it doesn't have anything to do with random people we shouldn't give a crap about!

An interesting read

We don’t trust drinking fountains anymore, and that’s bad for our health
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...eca9bc-15f0-11e5-9ddc-e3353542100c_story.html

Yet the splitting irony... this is in the Opinion section (mainly due to the title I suppose) -- yet is better rooted than the majority of news you read

Thanks!!! What a great read. And so telling about where our society is.

I use drinking fountains all the time and I see friends -- yes, Millennials, look like I'm drinking in a a TB/HIV/Cancer-causing stream of sewage.

It astounds me to this day that bottled water is a thing in the developed world. I've never bought a bottle of water in the USA in my life. And most of the developed world. I even use the drinking fountains at HKDL and have lived to tell the tale (now in Shanghai, I likely won't but that is a different story altogether!)

I wish I had thought of bottled water as a get rich quick scheme.

FigmentJedi

I'm hoping we'll get the Daft Punk soundtrack, and also....I know most movies in China end up having their names changed to be much more descriptive. So instead of "Shrek" it was something like "Green Ogre tries to win the girl" or something crazy...does anyone know if TRON was re-named for it's Chinese release?
I think that's more of a Japanese thing. Ratatouille became Remy's Magic Kitchen, Meet the Robinsons was Lewis and the Future Thief, Brave was Merida and the Forest of Fear, Frozen was Anna and the Snow Queen, and Up became Grandpa Carl's Flying House.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom