A Spirited Perfect Ten

yensidtlaw1969

I'd be shocked if it was. It would look strange as well ...

I also think what that park needs most is a good, long, family people-eater ... an attraction that can eat 2,000 guests an hour at least. When you see some of these new 21st century attractions get 1/3rd or 1/4er the hourly throughput of attractions built from say 1965-85, you know something is VERY wrong with the way WDI approaches things today.
I cling somewhat desperately to the thought that a contemporary, large-scale, mind-blowing, family-oriented, people-eating attraction is both practical and possible. It's nice to have the sentiment validated.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm a bit mixed up about what to expect at D23. Last I read a few days ago, it sounded like we shouldn't get any hopes up for any major WDW announcements besides the DHS renaming and some teases about "future projects" (as well as elaborating upon existing projects such as Avatar). Is this still the case, or have things changed and they're now opening the door on announcements next month? Or do we simply not know either way?

Bit hard to keep track of things, there are now several threads (this one and a couple of others all with DHS and general WDW investment info) with a bunch of info to sift through.

Absimilliard

I'd be shocked if it was. It would look strange as well ...

I also think what that park needs most is a good, long, family people-eater ... an attraction that can eat 2,000 guests an hour at least. When you see some of these new 21st century attractions get 1/3rd or 1/4er the hourly throughput of attractions built from say 1965-85, you know something is VERY wrong with the way WDI approaches things today.

The industry in general has lowered their capacity targets. For example, take Six Flags in the 60's and 70's. When the original mine train at Six Flags Over Texas, the Runaway Mine Train was built, it could run 3 trains with 30 passengers per train. The prototype log flume was not enough, so they built a second log flume next to it. Too many people riding the original Mine Train? The Mini Mine Train was installed. This was repeated at many parks where they built second flume rides and added large capacity rides to accommodate the crowds.

Then, the 80's arrived and something happened: full automation with PLC and what not. When those 60's-70's mine trains and rides were updated, their capacity was cut down. For example, the Dahlonega Mine Train at Six Flags Over Georgia went from running 5 trains as efficiently as Big Thunder Mountain... to barely running 3. Automatic air gates also became a mandatory safety feature around that time and those also slow dispatch times.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train lines would be a lot shorter if WDI could have gone with a single lap bar per row instead of the current restraint configuration. If a brand new non grandfathered Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opened today, it would use the Expedition Everest trains with a 44 inches height restriction.

Another good example of the lost capacity: in Europe, it is nearly standard for spinning coasters to have continuous loading similar to Omnimover attractions. When Hersheypark installed a spinning coaster this year, it use 3! stops loading for "safety". An hour line would have been 30-40 minutes in Europe.

Cesar R M

Interesting. I didn't believe it for a minute when Staggs said that (repeatedly). But, to see it moving forward. I may have to toddle over to Disneyland forums in August just to watch the fun!

Is it the whole of MDX? Or just FP+? And, if FP+, is it the advance booking and 3 a day limits (until you've used them all and then have to use your phone, which I don't see Disneyland guests minding so much, or find a kiosk)? The big one, I think, that would set off DLR fans is if they limit it to one park only.

Hrm...should be interesting to see...
Honestly, I would not be surprised if they add MM+ to Disneyland as well.
I mean.. linking all parks into a " one brand" centralized system to handle all the databases, statistics.. plans..etc.. is a wetdream for analysts.
Making it work properly.. that's another different thing of course.

Cesar R M

And much better for gate throughput at Disneyland...frankly.

There they had some weird system where they'd take your picture and biometrics and the lines, even on a slow day in Feb, were still rather frustrating compared to going to Disneyworld in August (still on peak) and the lines flying through the Mickey Poles (in relative comparison)...
biometrics as in...?
face recognition? finger prints? eye data?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
biometrics as in...?
face recognition? finger prints? eye data?
Pictures of your face and a finger outline. The latter is what WDW used, but not the pictures. The pictures were added at Disneyland a few years back, as I understand it, to prevent rampant fraud and third party sellers selling off parts of multi-day tickets.

The first time you use a ticket at DLR, the CM grabs a small camera and snaps a picture of you (slowing the whole line down).

It doesn't always work, in my limited experience, and I had my picture taken more than once. At both gates (Disneyland and DCA).

When you check in later, your picture pops up and they check that as part of gate entry as well as your finger.

It's been a few years, so maybe my mind is rusty, but I certainly remember the picture taking (and thinking how stupid it was)...

Cesar R M

Pictures of your face and a finger outline. The latter is what WDW used, but not the pictures. The pictures were added at Disneyland a few years back, as I understand it, to prevent rampant fraud and third party sellers selling off parts of multi-day tickets.

The first time you use a ticket at DLR, the CM grabs a small camera and snaps a picture of you (slowing the whole line down).

It doesn't always work, in my limited experience, and I had my picture taken more than once. At both gates (Disneyland and DCA).

When you check in later, your picture pops up and they check that as part of gate entry as well as your finger.

It's been a few years, so maybe my mind is rusty, but I certainly remember the picture taking (and thinking how stupid it was)...
why the hell they do not add linked cameras in a fixed position with a big " look here" (with a mickey face) banner?
having to pick up and take the photo one by one seems.. tedious.

Mike S

The picture taking happened to me this February.

HarrisburgMouse

So I am hoping I am not slaughtered for writing this with so few posts (but, I have been a member - and actively reading - for more than a year now)...

I have been wondering, and really have not seen any in-depth discussions, about the story behind the current story of (as Articos stated) us getting "excited" now. When you look at PhotoDave's capacity analyses for the past few years (which I am sure TDO is doing regularly), what changed?

If WDI is constantly working on concepts, was this driven more by Iger or Staggs? Could Iger be legacy shopping right now with the spending split between his last few years and Staggs/CEO To Be Named? Or, could this be Staggs making his case to Wall Street now he's COO that he can expand capacity responsibly --- which, of course, will drive increases in gate, average room rates, and profits? Would love to learn more about the motivations, since the likely Wall Street short term reaction when announced will be a reduction in share price?

EDIT: Interesting note that some Wall Street analysts are reducing TWDC's 3Q year-over-year comparisons (but think the 4Q will be strong): http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2015/07/08/tough-comps-ahead-for-disney-warns-nomura/

Last edited:

BrianLo

And since there won't be third gates in Anaheim or fifth gates in the swamps, one need only look to Asia for where Disney will expand with another park in HK (very soon) and a third in Tokyo (likely a decade out).

Really? I know the current plan isn't for a third gate in Anaheim soon, but I'm surprised you'd lump it in with the 5th gate WDW pipe dream.

Plans existed before, if we continue on the current trajectory the Toy Story lot is too valuable to keep as a parking lot forever...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I put this here for three reasons

1) It's an interesting read that highlights not just how different generations look at a topic, but outlines HOW those thoughts have been steered over time
2) It's a common topic about WDW and interesting in speaking some what to the change that we've seen over time
3) It's just damn refreshing to find a news piece that is stimulating to read that isn't full of clickbait, sensationalism, and general extremism to generate interest. On top of that... it doesn't have anything to do with random people we shouldn't give a crap about!

An interesting read

We don’t trust drinking fountains anymore, and that’s bad for our health
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...eca9bc-15f0-11e5-9ddc-e3353542100c_story.html

Yet the splitting irony... this is in the Opinion section (mainly due to the title I suppose) -- yet is better rooted than the majority of news you read

Mike S

I put this here for three reasons

1) It's an interesting read that highlights not just how different generations look at a topic, but outlines HOW those thoughts have been steered over time
2) It's a common topic about WDW and interesting in speaking some what to the change that we've seen over time
3) It's just damn refreshing to find a news piece that is stimulating to read that isn't full of clickbait, sensationalism, and general extremism to generate interest. On top of that... it doesn't have anything to do with random people we shouldn't give a crap about!

An interesting read

We don’t trust drinking fountains anymore, and that’s bad for our health
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...eca9bc-15f0-11e5-9ddc-e3353542100c_story.html

Yet the splitting irony... this is in the Opinion section (mainly due to the title I suppose) -- yet is better rooted than the majority of news you read
I always trust drinking fountains. My immune system handles anything they can throw at me and whatever doesn't kill it quite literally makes it stronger, hence why I barely get sick.

twebber55

So I am hoping I am not slaughtered for writing this with so few posts (but, I have been a member - and actively reading - for more than a year now)...

I have been wondering, and really have not seen any in-depth discussions, about the story behind the current story of (as Articos stated) us getting "excited" now. When you look at PhotoDave's capacity analyses for the past few years (which I am sure TDO is doing regularly), what changed?

If WDI is constantly working on concepts, was this driven more by Iger or Staggs? Could Iger be legacy shopping right now with the spending split between his last few years and Staggs/CEO To Be Named? Or, could this be Staggs making his case to Wall Street now he's COO that he can expand capacity responsibly --- which, of course, will drive increases in gate, average room rates, and profits? Would love to learn more about the motivations, since the likely Wall Street short term reaction when announced will be a reduction in share price?

EDIT: Interesting note that some Wall Street analysts are reducing TWDC's 3Q year-over-year comparisons (but think the 4Q will be strong): http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2015/07/08/tough-comps-ahead-for-disney-warns-nomura/
I could be totally off but my two reasons are
1. Shanghai is winding down
2. Legacy time for Iger
Im sure he wants to be remembered for what's taking place at DHS and DAK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom