A Spirited Perfect Ten

cdd89

The system is not biased towards the locals in any ways, shape or form. I assure you.
So it's not biased that locals can book speculative FP+'s just on the offchance that they might happen to visit?

Or that locals who wander in at 7pm after work can get reservations on busy days for attractions that, previously, would have been sold out - and board immediately on entering the park? (You can enter 3 reserved attractions in 40 minutes, theoretically).

I'm always surprised when I hear people saying "they'll have a hard time getting people to accept this at DL". It's the "prepared" short-trip tourists who lose out - not the, locals and 14-dayers. This is totally by design - the system rewards those who consume the parks with other entertainment... Disney hopes that will be you enjoying (and spending in) your resort, but that could just as easily be an occupation elsewhere in the city.

Phil12

I don't think that most people realize what the entire new Tomorrowland'67 meant at that time. The major shows were truly World's Fair quality with several being new or experimental. It's difficult to describe what it was like to experience Adventure Thru Inner Space Atomobiles for the first time or board the Goodyear Peoplemover from a rotating platform only to watch the doors close automatically. I'm sure that is was very similar to visiting EPCOT Center in it's first few years. And the Carousel of Progress pulled it all together. Not only did one get to enjoy a novel carousel theater presentation, one got to ascend to the upper level to view the concept for a new city. After experiencing all that it was no wonder why Disney had you step out onto that long balcony to see a working prototype of the transportation system featured in his city of the future.

It was also a time in which the Disney name (not BRAND), meant something entirely different. Disney gave an approachable and humanistic quality to the presentations by the various corporate sponsors. Disney wasn't just magical in and of itself -- it created magic by being visionary and cutting edge, and it was considered to be QUALITY first and foremost.
Having experienced it all first hand, I can say that quality always came second to money. IASW is a perfect example. They threw that together at the last minute because Pepsi was desperate for a presence at the 1964 World's Fair and Walt Disney wanted any and all big pocket sponsors. Pepsi hated the attraction but stayed with it because of the UNICEF charity connection. As soon as IASW left the World's Fair and opened in Disneyland, Pepsi dropped it's sponsorship. IASW was then sponsored by Bank of America.

Given the time and the money, WED could produce great attractions. As you know, they were into audio-animatronics then. The Enchanted Tiki Room was the first use of this new technology. If you look at the history, you'll discover that WED's (Walt's privately owned company) development of audio-animatronics was financed by private sponsors such as Dole Foods, General Electric, the state of Illinois and the Ford Motor Company. Other sponsors came along later. Walt Disney did not like to turn down sponsorships.

It was money and a hefty profit that always came first.

PhotoDave219

So it's not biased that locals can book speculative FP+'s just on the offchance that they might happen to visit?

Or that locals who wander in at 7pm after work can get reservations on busy days for attractions that, previously, would have been sold out - and board immediately on entering the park? (You can enter 3 reserved attractions in 40 minutes, theoretically).

I'm always surprised when I hear people saying "they'll have a hard time getting people to accept this at DL". It's the "prepared" short-trip tourists who lose out - not the, locals and 14-dayers. This is totally by design - the system rewards those who consume the parks with other entertainment... Disney hopes that will be you enjoying (and spending in) your resort, but that could just as easily be an occupation elsewhere in the city.

I'm saying That in my history of living as a Florida resident in the Orlando area is that it is not biased towards the locals.

Rather it's biased against. How? We can book FP+ two weeks out. No farther. Regular guests can book Six months out.

When we walk in at 7pm after work - because I have - and you try to make FP either on the phone or in person, generally what's available is either things you don't want or times (after 11pm) that you don't want.

I'm really not sure where you're getting this notion....

cdd89

When we walk in at 7pm after work - because I have - and you try to make FP either on the phone or in person, generally what's available is either things you don't want or times (after 11pm) that you don't want.
This assumes you don't know earlier in the day that you'll visit, or that you don't book FP+'s on the offchance of a visit (which I'm sure many people must do).

I don't say this is a huge problem - probably mostly because WDW is not a locals' park - but there's no denying there's a huge advantage for those who visit for just a couple of hours. This sort of 'gaming' on a large scale is what DL will have to contend with.

PhotoDave219

This assumes you don't know earlier in the day that you'll visit, or that you don't book FP+'s on the offchance of a visit (which I'm sure many people must do).

I don't say this is a huge problem - probably mostly because WDW is not a locals' park - but there's no denying there's a huge advantage for those who visit for just a couple of hours. This sort of 'gaming' on a large scale is what DL will have to contend with.

And I'm saying I lived there for two stints covering 7 years since 2004.

I pretty much know how it works.

BrerJon

That has to be a Photoshop job. There's no way they'd have a classic picture of Walt Disney on the wall. Nobody would be that crass and tasteless... Especially in the park that hosted One Man's Dream.

Nope, I refuse to believe this photograph exists.

Actually I think that lounge might just be the replacement for 'One Man's Dream'.

What more do you need? A couple of old photos of Walt, an old bench as a historical relic of what things used to be like in the parks of yesterday, and a plastic skull and crossbones from a closed attraction to represent WDI... all bases covered!

BrerJon

That has to be a Photoshop job. There's no way they'd have a classic picture of Walt Disney on the wall. Nobody would be that crass and tasteless...

I suspect the lights in the lounge are powered by the dynamo that Iger built for WDW that generates more power the more Walt spins in his grave.

At least they don't have quotes from him on the walls about doing the impossible or not settling for the easy options - that would really be rubbing it in.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

GiveMeTheMusic

On a lighter note, I can honestly say I wasn't expecting "Dream Along with Mickey" to be referenced in Magic Mike XXL.

Well I won't be seeing that film anytime...ever, but I am curious to know what the reference was. Did they do the signature "Make a wiiiiiiish" arm movement? Because that would be amazing.

Animaniac93-98

Well I won't be seeing that film anytime...ever, but I am curious to know what the reference was. Did they do the signature "Make a wiiiiiiish" arm movement? Because that would be amazing.

Matt Bomer's character mentions he was in the show as the Donald understudy before working his way up to Mickey in his pre-dancer music career. Of course neither role (or any) in the show involves live singing, but maybe that was part of the joke...or they didn't think anyone would know that. There's also a great Matrix reference too with one of the convention dancers practicing his routine in full Neo cosplay.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the "Magic" franchise (oh yes, there's more in the way with the live stage version), there's one scene in the sequel that's so funny I wish I could just post a link to YouTube for it, but that'll have to wait until after the DVD/Blu-ray release (it's the bit in the gas station convenience store you see for a second in the trailer...but the whole thing in context is awesome).

BrerJon

I'm struggling to understand why you think there's an advantage. If you're only there for a couple of hours, there's even less likely to be a FP time available that suits you. The booking window means most of the things worth getting a FP will be long gone.

Tell me, if you were a local, how would you 'game' they system to benefit in a way a vacationing hotel guest couldn't?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom