A Spirited Perfect Ten

polynesiangirl

Perhaps some people see the 'towel plushie' in their room and that tells them that the know that they are at Disney.

Years ago, what told me that I was definitely at Disney was seeing a clean public bathroom...:arghh:

Hear hear. I feel kind of bad saying it because I know some people find them to be a special WDW feature, but the towel animals do nothing for me and never really have. My older kid kind of likes them but I doubt he'd be crushed if they were gone next time. I'd much, much rather have cleaner parks than towel animals any day.

JediMasterMatt

And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the entire point largely to provide a fenced off space for "special" guests who have FP+ or buy packages to get better fireworks viewing? It wasn't just a beautification project.

The real reason behind Hub 2.0 is that MK needed more FP+ fodder. When you can't entice people with a quick return time to Stitch when they really want a return time for Splash, you need more offerings in the coffer that hold some perception of value. To the lay person, a FP for fireworks holds some value when they are booking in advance. If they can select that and be satisfied, there is one less FP for another attraction that becomes available.

It's all about the perception of value that any FP+ offering has. Whether it's a return time for a popular attraction that's hours away or a return time to an attraction that stinks in a few minutes. The shell game that is WDW is to keep the churn going and give the impression you are getting something of value. It's far cheaper to carve off more land for something that already exists and has proven to be popular in fireworks and parades than it is build and staff a new attraction.

Even with growth, the Hub refurb didn't have to happen as it did. The holding pens weren't needed. The real necessity with continued growth was the Main Street bypasses and the Hub work on the Southern Casey/Tomorrowland sides of the moat.

SYRIK2000

The real reason behind Hub 2.0 is that MK needed more FP+ fodder. When you can't entice people with a quick return time to Stitch when they really want a return time for Splash, you need more offerings in the coffer that hold some perception of value. To the lay person, a FP for fireworks holds some value when they are booking in advance. If they can select that and be satisfied, there is one less FP for another attraction that becomes available.

It's all about the perception of value that any FP+ offering has. Whether it's a return time for a popular attraction that's hours away or a return time to an attraction that stinks in a few minutes. The shell game that is WDW is to keep the churn going and give the impression you are getting something of value. It's far cheaper to carve off more land for something that already exists and has proven to be popular in fireworks and parades than it is build and staff a new attraction.

Even with growth, the Hub refurb didn't have to happen as it did. The holding pens weren't needed. The real necessity with continued growth was the Main Street bypasses and the Hub work on the Southern Casey/Tomorrowland sides of the moat.

Not sure why you would need a FP to see fireworks that are happening in the sky and visible from many locations.

RSoxNo1

I'm no pixieduster when I write that Disney needs to construct a 5th Gate in Orlando by 2025. WDW really needs one. :)

Throughout the decades, WDW's attendance has varied quite a bit. However, the general trend has always been upward. Even during Iger's 9-plus years as CEO, WDW's attendance has grown by over 2% annually despite no major expansion to attract more Guests.

If we assume a 4% growth for the rest of this fiscal year (WDW should beat that) and 1% growth after that, this is what WDW's per theme park attendance looks like by 2025:

View attachment 99248

In just a few years, per park attendance surpasses even when WDW consisted of only the Magic Kingdom, the World's most popular theme park. WDW's theme parks simply cannot handle that kind of load in 2025.

Now let's assume the same attendance growth through 2024. Then, in 2025, let's assume a 5th theme park opens resulting in a relatively modest (for a new theme park) 10% bump in attendance:

View attachment 99249

Even with 5 theme parks, per theme park attendance in 2025 matches last year's number. 2014 was a record year for WDW and, by the way, one in which crowd levels were a significant source of complaints from Guests.

Note that these projections don't factor in the large investment Disney is about to make in DHS, which almost certainly will result in an additional 5-to-10% attendance bump.

With 5 theme parks in 2025, WDW will be crowded. With only 4 theme parks in 2025, WDW will be insufferable.

Remember, by 2025, it will have been over a quarter of a century since WDW's last theme park.

The numbers suggest a 5th Gate is not a pipe dream. By 2025, the numbers suggest it's a financial and operational necessity. :)
Does expanding / improving the current 4 parks make sense as an alternative or are both needed? Say a new park costs $5 billion, if that money can be spent expanding the existing parks in capacity and footprint on top of "normal" expansion to those parks would that also work?

Cesar R M

Not sure why you would need a FP to see fireworks that are happening in the sky and visible from many locations.
Well, because the place is bursting at it seams?
I went twice in "low attendance" days. and the hub and all mainstreet up to the train station was still insanely full (prior to the expansion). and sometimes you could barely see (because a lot of parents decide to put their kids on their shoulders).

JediMasterMatt

I don't disagree; but, the resort is preying on the naïve and not the experienced. The famous quote referencing Barnum about the timing of suckers is still appropriate.

Disneyland is trying to combat the preferred viewing location/angle for fireworks in a different manner with the new show Disneyland Forever - it features multiple locations (Rivers of America, small world, and the Matterhorn) with projection mapping effects along with the primary locations of Main Street USA and Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Sonconato

There should have been a real benefit to the fact that I only became a Disney Parks enthusiast back in 2013 - the only way is up. Except even in that tiny amount of time they've chipped away at things I enjoyed from my first visit. (I kind of wish I postponed my first visit by 5 months so I never experienced WDW with traditional FastPass... I don't care what the guest surveys say, I accomplished more using that system even having totally under-researched things and gone in "as an idiot" than with the supposedly magical MM+/FP+ armed with a ton of research, and the system is hugely biased in favour of locals and others who visit for an evening, knock off some big attractions, and then leave).
You're probably right about "others who visit for an evening, knock off some big attractions, and then leave," however I go there every week and my Magic Band works no more than 5% success rate of getting into the park.

PhotoDave219

No definitely not, Just saying it's not unique to them.

You don't get ahead in corporations unless you are smooching the higher ups and stepping on your peers. The management loves and rewards this behavior. It's sad, but a fact of corporate life.

Simply because Everyone else does it, isn't acceptable rationale for the behavior nor is it a good reason for you to do it. IMO.

BernardandBianca

You're probably right about "others who visit for an evening, knock off some big attractions, and then leave," however I go there every week and my Magic Band works no more than 5% success rate of getting into the park.

We typically go twice a week, and have stopped using the Magic Bands after the first visit; didn't work very well, and were uncomfortable on the wrist. Now we use the AP cards, and mine will generally work 50% of the time.

Omnispace

It just brought back so many memories. DL was near perfect ... and that was 35 years in. And it showcases how much destruction has been done to that land with very little to show for it.

I don't think that most people realize what the entire new Tomorrowland'67 meant at that time. The major shows were truly World's Fair quality with several being new or experimental. It's difficult to describe what it was like to experience Adventure Thru Inner Space Atomobiles for the first time or board the Goodyear Peoplemover from a rotating platform only to watch the doors close automatically. I'm sure that is was very similar to visiting EPCOT Center in it's first few years. And the Carousel of Progress pulled it all together. Not only did one get to enjoy a novel carousel theater presentation, one got to ascend to the upper level to view the concept for a new city. After experiencing all that it was no wonder why Disney had you step out onto that long balcony to see a working prototype of the transportation system featured in his city of the future.

It was also a time in which the Disney name (not BRAND), meant something entirely different. Disney gave an approachable and humanistic quality to the presentations by the various corporate sponsors. Disney wasn't just magical in and of itself -- it created magic by being visionary and cutting edge, and it was considered to be QUALITY first and foremost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom