A Spirited Perfect Ten

Figments Friend

This is the same monorail that goes through a hole in the Grand Californian Hotel, remember. A skybridge going over the 1961 track would be simple and easy compared to building a hotel all around the '61 route. And that was built back in '99 by Paul Pressler who hated to spend money! Imagine what they can do now that Burbank keeps giving TDA a Billion dollars every few years.

GrandCalifornian-Monorail-1000.jpg

So.....is THAT the reason the Grand Californian does not have a monorail station then...Paul*s budget cutting.
I have always wondered why.

Seems odd to me that the Monorail passes through but cannot be accessed at the hotel.
Maybe that is just the WDW Veteran coming out in me, but it seems stupid to not have such a service at a *Deluxe* Resort where there is already a beamway present.

Figments Friend

On 20K the feeling that at any moment water was going to pour in and you were possibly going to drown was the best bit of the ride!

For me, it was the great reference made to a famous and very beloved Imagineer who helped build the 20K Attraction.

If you were paying attention to the on-ride audio banter, just as your Sub is exiting the *Atlantis* scene, the topic for discussion turns to strange sea creatures.
Captain Nemo then addresses his helmsman and states -
*Mr. Baxter, if you think you are seeing sea serpents and mermaids then i think you have been submerged for too long...*.

:D

lazyboy97o

So.....is THAT the reason the Grand Californian does not have a monorail station then...Paul*s budget cutting.

Seems odd to me that the Monorail passes through but cannot be accessed at the hotel.
Maybe that is just the WDW Veteran coming out in me, but it seems stupid to not have such a service at a *Deluxe* Resort where there is already a beamway present.
A stop at the Grand Californian would complicate the block system if there was a desire to retain the Disneyland Hotel / Downtown Disney station. The realm cut back was from the WestCOT-era expansion.

jt04

A stop at the Grand Californian would complicate the block system if there was a desire to retain the Disneyland Hotel / Downtown Disney station. The realm cut back was from the WestCOT-era expansion.

I have never seen a photo of the monorail crossing the new bridge over BV Street. Must be quite a site to see when at DCA. Must visit someday.

TP2000

To be fair to Paul Pressler (never thought I'd say that!), I think it may have to do with the logistics of the track. The monorail passes through the Grand Californian and immediately goes out over Disneyland Drive, past the Lego store, and then stops at the Downtown Disney station.

There's only a couple hundred yards of track at most between the hotel and the Downtown Disney station, and I'm not sure logistically or for proper safety spacing that you could have two stations so close to each other.

That said, there should have been a station built at DCA. Perhaps with the expansion coming to Anaheim, a station will be built in the Hollywood Land area, where there is plenty of room and long stretches of beamway between Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney.
The Hollywood Land plot is "more likely" to see something according to the press.
nqjd5u-focusdisneypage.gif

And what would it take for the Orlando Sentinel to make a full page map of WDW like this one with potential new attraction locations and concepts on it?!?
What are they afraid of there at the Sentinel, that TDO will stop giving them cupcakes at press events or something?

Last edited:

Mike S

I had the same reaction when I was there. It's definitely the WDW vet in you.

AEfx

I had the same reaction when I was there. It's definitely the WDW vet in you.

It's because at Disneyland it's primarily a ride, not a transportation method. They already have enough trouble with folks avoiding the main gates by boarding at the other station (from bad folks like me who park at DTD after it's free, and walk a few yards over to it and come in the park that way). Another entry point is another place that needs to be staffed, another bag check, etc. And the parks are so close anyway, it would just be "neat" and not a true benefit.

It is odd from a WDW-point of view, though, I totally grant you.

Cosmic Commando

Having a station in DCA or at the Grand Californian would complicate things from an operational standpoint. If you board in Downtown Disney now, you go through turnstiles before you get to the loading platform. If there's multiple stops, then all of sudden not everyone is going into a park and it would be a big headache. I know in the past they did "one ways" and "round trips" on the monorail by having different cars assigned to each type of passenger, but it's not worth the hassle, IMO. Too complicated. It's a lot of juggling.

AEfx

Having a station in DCA or at the Grand Californian would complicate things from an operational standpoint. If you board in Downtown Disney now, you go through turnstiles before you get to the loading platform. If there's multiple stops, then all of sudden not everyone is going into a park and it would be a big headache. I know in the past they did "one ways" and "round trips" on the monorail by having different cars assigned to each type of passenger, but it's not worth the hassle, IMO. Too complicated. It's a lot of juggling.

And I also think that a lot of folks just don't realize how little the space we are talking about really is. I mean, I'm terrible at judging short distances, but it's what? 100 yards from turnstyle to turnstyle to go from Disneyland to DCA? It's basically like walking from The Seas to Imagination door to door. It's certainly less than walking from USF to IOA (I'd say, at least by half). And considering the GC is already abutting a park, it really would have made no sense in any way, shape, or form when you take into account those operational issues on top of it.

Mike S

And I also think that a lot of folks just don't realize how little the space we are talking about really is. I mean, I'm terrible at judging short distances, but it's what? 100 yards from turnstyle to turnstyle to go from Disneyland to DCA? It's basically like walking from The Seas to Imagination door to door. It's certainly less than walking from USF to IOA (I'd say, at least by half). And considering the GC is already abutting a park, it really would have made no sense in any way, shape, or form when you take into account those operational issues on top of it.
I believe both parks over there could fit comfortably just within Epcot.

AEfx

Given the recent and upcoming closures at DHS, there may be more attractions on the right hand side of that photo than in WDW's four parks. It had been close for the last few years, but that was before half of DHS shut down.

While I hope things change due to new developments, that's why I absolutely kicked myself the first time I made it out to Disneyland - I was like, what have I been doing going to WDW 4-5x a year when this has been out here the whole time...LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom