A Spirited Perfect Ten

djlaosc

Mr. Robot is right in my wheelhouse when it comes to a lot of what I believe and how I view corps today. If hour number one was any indication of what will follow, then I'll be watching religiously. I wanted to see Humans, but completely forgot. ... I think that territory has been covered very well over the years, though. I'm still unnerved over seeing A.I. when it came out in the late 90s. I was not prepared for how ... depressing and emotional it was. But I do intend to watch Humans.

Have heard good things on Strange and Norell too.

Humans is a good show (seen the first 3 episodes), but I couldn't get into Strange and Norell.

Still waiting for Mr. Robot to be picked up over here though...

FrankLapidus

Very good point. I wonder how many fanbois under 35 have even seen it once. ... and Disney largely ignores the characters in the parks. You'd think that DAK might have a place for them (no, not a dark ride ... that would likely still leave me in tears!) The only place I've seen the characters used of late is in WoC at DCA and Dreams of Christmas at DLP ... and in topiary form at EPCOT.

Let's put it this way, there's more Figment merchandise out there by a mile than Bambi and friends!

Sadly true of many of the animated classics. I do enjoy the new releases, I really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6, but I'd love to see more of the older films get more recognition. Particularly at AK where films like Bambi, The Jungle Book and The Rescuers could really have been utilised.

jt04

Buena-Vista-Street-115.jpg

Love it. Thanks!

aladdin2007

Going along those lines, I've always hated the fact there is a sickening lack of Robin Hood merchandise at WDW as well. We got lucky last year and found this statuette in the MK, which was a nice find.

I know why they ignore gems like Robin Hood, The Rescuers, or The Great Mouse Detective :)greedy::greedy::greedy:), but it would be nice to have a variety of merch that isn't Princesses or from Lion King to the present.

agree, there isnt even Pinocchio merch.

burgess

Interesting story on the need for more parking in Anaheim in today's OC Register. Also interesting that again the two main sources are (for lack of a better term and because it fits) Lifestylers in Mouseplanet's Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix and Theme Park Insider's Matthew Gottula.
ows one facet of a situation. It just makes the turn around time on a story so much quicker when it basically is written by others.

Pretty sad that both Disney park locations in the US are so far removed from any sort of functional public transportation. We've done car-free trips to Disneyland easily (affordable hotels are within walking distance), but it's a shame that locals have to drive. It's ridiculous that there isn't a reliable train between LA and Disneyland, considering that it's Disneyland! Just another way in which the overseas parks whip the American parks.

pax_65

agree, there isnt even Pinocchio merch.

This ties into another conversation about merchandise that has been discussed before. In the past, Disney had merchandise in different areas of the park to add to the general theme of that area. So you could find Pinocchio stuff in Fantasyland near Pinocchio's Village Haus because it tied in. That might be the ONLY place in the parks that you could find it. Same goes for the merchandise in the resorts - you might find Mary Poppins stuff in the Grand Floridian that you wouldn't see at the Contemporary. This might still be done to a certain extent (I hope so), but the merchandise is much more focused on sales these days - so you're likely to find Frozen stuff EVERYWHERE regardless of theme.

Next Big Thing

Well this isn't worthy of a new thread, so I'll put this here:

The new traffic light past the MK toll plaza goes live Thusday morning at 5am.

CMs be aware.....
Noticed them finishing it up the other day. Was quite surprised as I hadn't been around that area in awhile, but I had remembered hearing about it.

Definitely needed though as there's no lights on that road by Ft Wilderness, almost got into an accident because we couldn't see properly.

PhotoDave219

Noticed them finishing it up the other day. Was quite surprised as I hadn't been around that area in awhile, but I had remembered hearing about it.

Definitely needed though as there's no lights on that road by Ft Wilderness, almost got into an accident because we couldn't see properly.

Yeah lighting on that road is atrocious.

RCID Needs to fix visibility in that area. I know they want to keep it dark because of the campgrounds bud… Installing something is necessary just for Public Safety.

I know the traffic light it's going in is a direct result from all the accidents they continue over and over at that intersection. However I have a nasty feeling that things are just going to get worse…

MKCP 1985

Sadly true of many of the animated classics. I do enjoy the new releases, I really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6, but I'd love to see more of the older films get more recognition. Particularly at AK where films like Bambi, The Jungle Book and The Rescuers could really have been utilised.
I recall the Bambi rabbits were out at Disney Animal Kingdom to help promote the release of Bambi on Blu Ray. It doesn't seem that long ago but perhaps it was. Thumper and . . . Miss Bunny? I can't recall if she had a different name than that.

Again, it seems that not so long ago Jungle Book character King Louie was making appearances in Adventureland. Balloo comes out for appearances with King Louie at the Animal Kingdom park during the Disney Marathon - always a fun time to encounter rare characters, if the running doesn't kill you first.

Robin Hood has always been associated with the Magic Kingdom to me because characters from his movie (Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Sheriff of Nottingham) were out and are captured in my parents' photos from 1970s trips and we have photos with Robin Hood from a family trip around 2005-06, and then he suddenly disappeared. I felt fortunate to catch the opportunity for a photo with Robin Hood, Little John, Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince John at Epcot during the half marathon in 2009. No Friar Tuck in that photo, poor neglected guy. ha-

Maybe after that, the issue becomes one of continuity? There are characters people expect to see on every trip and there are characters known to be in the parades. After those slots are filled who knows how the decision is made which characters to trot out on which days. I've never seen a guest survey asking me which characters my family wants to see but it is always fun when someone unexpected pops up like Pinocchio or Jiminy Cricket by City Hall.

Next Big Thing

Top article on parks blog right now promoting Jurassic World. I can't make this up
It's not always a competition. The kids went to Disneyland and Disney isn't dumb, they know Jurassic World is a blockbuster right now.

It's sort of how Disney negotiated to allow Universal to use the Cinematic Universe for Superhero Island. People could've said the same thing, but the only reason it happened is because it's a win-win.

jakeman

It's not always a competition. The kids went to Disneyland and Disney isn't dumb, they know Jurassic World is a blockbuster right now.

It's sort of how Disney negotiated to allow Universal to use the Cinematic Universe for Superhero Island. People could've said the same thing, but the only reason it happened is because it's a win-win.
Also that kid appears to be on two Disney Channel shows. Why wouldn't they leverage the proximal success of Jurassic World for this actor to promote series on the Disney Channel or their own parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom