A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, we have one at Cedar Point, and in many ways the crowd behavior is not nearly as family-oriented as you'll see at a Disney park (I realize I'm generalizing here). People seem to be able to keep their collective acts together on this ride; can't see why it would be any worse at a Disney park. Disney lawyers might just be a bit more safety-crazed and lawsuit-averse.

Not to mention unwilling to have anything in their parks which needs more maintenance than an occasional shot of WD-40 spray (cash register drawer...)

Nubs70

But Nooo that would deny the cost accountant the ability to know how many bottles of sundries have been dispensed and the count of garbage bags used, Typical cost accounting mindset they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
The cost accountant could initiate the use of SAP combined with resort wide WiFi and wireless SKU scanners. Each mousekeeper would be responsible for inventory of their individual cart much like a POS cash drawer. This would also generate data on room cleaning turn times.

PhotoDave219

The cost accountant could initiate the use of SAP combined with resort wide WiFi and wireless SKU scanners. Each mousekeeper would be responsible for inventory of their individual cart much like a POS cash drawer. This would also generate data on room cleaning turn times.

I don't see Disney spending that kind of money to do that… It's simply fire the slow housekeepers.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Like I've said many times before there is more creativity and business sense on THIS board than the entire TWDC.

To expand on that the appliances could be tagged with barcodes so if one needed maintenance the Mousekeeper could send an immediate maintenance request to engineering so stuff gets FIXED in a timely mannner, The QA checklist could be automated as well so instead of the Mousekeeping supervisor needing to check ALL the rooms they could check the ones flagged by mousekeepers as needing extra attention.

Once again TWDC has misapplied LEAN and are focusing on steps in the process which they THINK are expensive rather than taking a holistic look at the entire process and finding where the REAL waste is in the process (hint it's NOT where you think it is). But that will never happen because it would require a crew of Analysts to BE mousekeepers and understand the process from where the rubber meets the road. And the whole 'Nobles and Serfs' thing comes into play. i.e. 'I have an MBA I'm not cleaning toilets...' mindset comes into play.

The whole MBWA (Management by Walking Around) really DOES work if you commit to it.

the.dreamfinder

Jurrasic World Update:
JW has become the fastest the film to reach $500 million domestic. Bob Iger must be estatic!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-jurassic-world-hits-805316
I know it's not a big deal for those of you in Europe, but we also have JW's domestic attendance numbers via Gitesh Pandya. (Domestic attendance numbers are rarely released by the studios)
https://twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/615182533123272704
After 17days domestic, #JurassicWorld has sold roughly 54M tix - up 31% vs 41M of #JurassicPark at same point in 1993.

And here's this Vine which sums up JW in as few seconds.
http://vine.co/v/OK7x6JWIgzg

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

the.dreamfinder

Well, I'm sure that wont last past Christmas.
We'll see. The holidays are a whole mother animal because you have lots of titles coming out in a short period of time so there's divided interest compared to the summer. "The Force Awakens" will perform well and break records, but that's one I don't think they'll break.

Magenta Panther

Ugh...
Business theory makes me nauseous.

Whoever came up with this VSM and Lean Managment, or any other such nonsense that negatively impacts Guest Experience, should be subjected to extreme verbal abuse and possibly slapped around a bit.

This. It's like efficiency experts, those vultures who come into a company to program humans and their movements as if they're robots. Vile.

Astro Blaster

Little late on this but I just saw Inside Out. Very enjoyable, not my favorite Pixar movie but I'd say it's in the top ten. Thought the Lava short was dumb.

As an aside, I saw a 40+ strong Brazilian tour group walking down 6th ave in New York City a few days ago. Don't know if they were coming from or going to WDW but they all had on red Mickey shirts.

Mike S

Little late on this but I just saw Inside Out. Very enjoyable, not my favorite Pixar movie but I'd say it's in the top ten. Thought the Lava short was dumb.

As an aside, I saw a 40+ strong Brazilian tour group walking down 6th ave in New York City a few days ago. Don't know if they were coming from or going to WDW but they all had on red Mickey shirts.
I saw them too. You just can't escape them!!!

Cesar R M

Have they always done towel animals? I don't seem to remember ever seeing one on anything approaching a regular basis until the last maybe 10-15 years. Then the next thing I knew they were all over every trip report and became a Thing. I might have just been oblivious before that though (and/or Mousekeeping didn't love us enough to leave us towel animals every time.) :( :p
In all my trips, they always added the mickey one on the first day (when you arrive) and make monkeys..etc.. on the next days.

Cesar R M

Ugh...
Business theory makes me nauseous.

Whoever came up with this VSM and Lean Management, or any other such nonsense that negatively impacts Guest Experience, should be subjected to extreme verbal abuse and possibly slapped around a bit.
It doesn't stop the top guys (who ordered such technique to be applied) to laugh their way to the bank while not getting any of the backslash the front employees get.

Cesar R M

Jurrasic World Update:
JW has become the fastest the film to reach $500 million domestic. Bob Iger must be estatic!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-jurassic-world-hits-805316
I know it's not a big deal for those of you in Europe, but we also have JW's domestic attendance numbers via Gitesh Pandya. (Domestic attendance numbers are rarely released by the studios)

And here's this Vine which sums up JW in as few seconds.
http://vine.co/v/OK7x6JWIgzg
You know its funny how popular JW is.
For example, in every cinema in my town.. they only have 2 theatres on average for the new Terminator.. and still have 6 or more for JW.
That movie really hit the fans.
also 1.2 billion already. WOW!

Phil12

I am told I cried the first time :) but When I was older I really dug the navy uniforms, the organ music, etc. I really liked the 20k movie
I too was a big fan of the 20k movie and I think that in part accounts for my displeasure with the attraction. The 20k movie won two Academy Awards and one of those awards was for special effects. Therefore I assumed (incorrectly) that the attraction would have special effects that were superb. And above ground that was true.

The subs looked spectacular. They were darn very close approximations of the Nautilus. The entire lagoon looked just like the mysterious island of Vulcania! And you could see the subs travel into an island cave between cascading waterfalls! My first impression was that this was going to be a wonderful adventure. It was all very convincing.

Waiting in the queue they played concertina music of various sea shanties such as Blow the man down, What shall we do with the drunken sailor and, of course, A Whale of a Tale from the movie. It was a great way to build the anticipation for the ride!

Once you entered the boat, you found water sloshing around on the bottom deck. It turned out that the hatches through which people entered and exited were not water tight. As a result, water would get in the subs from the waterfall as the subs entered Vulcania. They had to dam up the center part of the waterfall to keep the boats dryer. However, some water still got in the boats because it was always wet in there. The usual afternoon rains at WDW added to the problem as water would drip in from the hatches. But I think it also added to the effect of being in a real submarine because you had water leaks and water sloshing around on the floor!

Another part of the ambiance was the close quarters and lousy ventilation. When forty people were in a sub, you were packed in there like sardines. The A/C systems never really worked very well and there was no significant air flow. For me, I thought it was all part of the show to have the subs being hot with sweltering humidity. Submarines have very cramped space and the air quality can be very problematic. But people that were claustrophobic or didn't like the smell of other guest's body odor had rough trips.

The audio on the boats was terrific! The person on the PA system sounded just like Captain Nemo (James Mason) from the movie. Plus they had the spooky organ music playing in the background. It really did a good job of setting the mood.

After the sub left the dock it submerged and air bubbles would blow by the viewing ports. This was a simulation of air being bled from the subs ballast tanks and replaced with sea water to enable the sub to submerge. It was a very good effect.

Once the portholes cleared of bubbles the view through the portholes was disappointing unless you were a small child. Everything looked like plastic phony toys you'd find in a swimming pool or a home aquarium. You could clearly see the monofilament line holding the props in place! The special effects looked like one step below the day-glow cardboard cutouts in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

When is was time to surface, air bubbles would again stream by your porthole! That didn't make any sense. To surface, the sub would be pumping compressed air into the ballast tanks and expelling sea water. They wouldn't be wasting air blowing it out of the sub. It's just another case of Disney saying to their guests back in 1971, "They're tourists, what do they know"!

It was obvious that Disney had not yet figured out how to create or present convincing underwater stage sets. But in those days it was fun for small children so that's really all the mattered.

Last edited:

TP2000

The financial windfall from the Board of Director's meeting in WDW continues to be felt here in Anaheim this week, with Disney's official announcement of a "1 Billion Dollar investment" in the Disneyland Resort beginning in 2017 if the Anaheim City Council agrees to extend the gate tax moratorium for another 30 years.

The Anaheim City Council is of course falling into line like Annual Passholders waiting for a new pin release, and Disney will get its current tax moratorium extended from 2016 to 2046. They'll vote on it July 7th and make it official.

But the news of a $1 Billion Disneyland expansion has the local media here digging into some analysis of the plans for Anaheim, with speculative maps and graphics like this one in the OC Register this weekend. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668812-disneyland-attractions.html

Star Wars Land and Marvel Land are on the way, apparently.

One other little info-graphic caught my eye, as we had talked about it here weeks ago. A few hundred pages back in this thread I shared that at cocktail parties I'd been to in the last year or two that there was often a gaggle of well-connected successful realtors hanging out in a corner talking about all the property Disney has secretly bought recently in Anaheim's Resort District; including the USCIS and Sybron Co. business parks north of the existing Pumbaa parking lot for a massive Disneyland parking structure.

When it was discovered a month ago that Disney had just bought the Carousel Inn on Harbor Blvd., that lined up with the Martini-fueled chatter I'd heard that a big skybridge over Harbor was part of the plan, linking the parking structure to Disneyland's Esplanade.

The OC Register reporters have discovered that (SURPRISE!) Disney now owns all that land north of Pumbaa, linking perfectly with the Carousel Inn. In this Sunday's paper they lay out the concept better than I could. Here's the graphic from the Register story.

parking-map.gif

It's all very interesting, but I also wanted to prove to @WDW1974 that I really do get invited to the right parties. :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

Couple things about your post. One is that the business park you are talking about is actually split into two parcels, the large building in the northern part of the site, and the smaller building in the southern part. Indications are that Disney only owns the land with the smaller building in the southern part (currently being used by US Immigrations Services, I believe), and the Carousel Inn only connects to the northern part. As people on Miceage already noted, the northern portion is currently being used by the Odetics company.

The plan for the 8,000+ space parking structure only needed the current Pumbaa lot and that southern building (Lutz mentioned this, I've done the math. At around 6-8 levels and factoring about 320 square feet per car space - the industry standard - you'll only need those two parcels). If you build that structure, it still won't connect to the Carousel Inn piece without going through the northern part somehow.

After Disney's official announcement of the $1 Billion in expansion coming to Disneyland starting in '17, the OC Register reporters have dug into this exact topic. And they discovered what I'd been hearing from the very well-connected realtors at a few cocktail parties over the last year....

Disney owns all that land, including the Sybron Dental Co. office park (formerly Odetics) north of the USCIS facility. And they own even more adjacent land east of Clementine; the small office park and the old Bergstrom's building next to the Santa Ana Freeway. But for the purposes of the parking facility, they own all they need and it all connects perfectly with the Carousel Inn.

Here's the simple map from this Sunday's Register article.
parking-map.gif

Also, you can't build a pedestrian bridge over Harbor on that site, because the monorail occupies the same airspace directly across the street. That monorail juts right up against Harbor there, meaning they have exactly no space for a ramp to bring the guests back down from an elevated bridge.

As for a skybridge being impossible due to the monorail, I would disagree. There's plenty of room west of Harbor for the skybridge to land. The monorail is only 20 feet off the ground along Harbor Blvd. The parking structure would be 100 to 150 feet tall if it's five or six levels. A skybridge through the demolished Carousel Inn property would fit most naturally at the 50 to 75 foot height from one of the middle floors, and then there's all the space they need on the Esplanade side of Harbor Blvd to get folks back down to the ground.

This is the same monorail that goes through a hole in the Grand Californian Hotel, remember. A skybridge going over the 1961 track would be simple and easy compared to building a hotel all around the '61 route. And that was built back in '99 by Paul Pressler who hated to spend money! Imagine what they can do now that Burbank keeps giving TDA a Billion dollars every few years.
GrandCalifornian-Monorail-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The night before I checked out of my NYC hotel a week ago was full of Brazillian tousits in the lobby, and there were still plenty more going to or at Times Square.

I'm glad I left when I did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom