A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

A family left in the middle of the show, said it wasn't funny enough. It wasn't supposed to be.

Well first off… I was very disappointed to not be watching a Disney film with a Disney crowd. Seriously, the pleasure Island AMC is a highly underrated theater.

Second there were plenty of jokes in there. (I saw a really hairy man tho) I just think most of them were subtle and your average rube wouldn't get them…

flynnibus

Premium Member
Meanwhile in Anaheim

"Disney wants to invest $1 billion at Disneyland, California Adventure in exchange for no new gate tax"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668511-city-anaheim.html

talk about deja vu... DCA in exchange for area revamp and resort district creation... DCA v2 for stopping other undesired housing development... now DLR/DCA v2.5 for tax breaks.

Don't you love how TWDC maximizes their investments by leveraging the local gov to give them what they want even tho they would do the investment anyways? :)

Travel Junkie

talk about deja vu... DCA in exchange for area revamp and resort district creation... DCA v2 for stopping other undesired housing development... now DLR/DCA v2.5 for tax breaks.

Don't you love how TWDC maximizes their investments by leveraging the local gov to give them what they want even tho they would do the investment anyways? :)

Pretty much. The city of Anaheim also plays that game to push investment. When they want more investment in Anaheim they propose new taxes then offer to take it away when Disney opens up the check book.

Katie G

Meanwhile in Anaheim

"Disney wants to invest $1 billion at Disneyland, California Adventure in exchange for no new gate tax"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668511-city-anaheim.html

The article has a few things wrong. First, the admissions tax applies to all ticket admissions in Anaheim which includes tickets to the Angels and Ducks not just Disneyland tickets. Second, it is not true that no Disney park has an admissions tax... WDW has sales tax on ticket admissions.

I can't imagine locals voting for this tax as it would only increase the prices for their tickets/annual passes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That actually happened to a friend of ours - his boss gave season tickets to the Pats to all his employees. One guy put one ticket on e-bay because he couldn't go to that particular game, and the whole block of passes was pulled.

There is always someone who can screw up a nice gesture, I assume the individual is looking for alternate employment (after recovering from the beat down from his fellow workers)

Omnispace

They would not have rebuilt on that EXACT plot if that was the case. It also wouldn't have stayed open as long as it did if the land was so unstable.

If you could see the original conceptual artwork for turning Horizons into a Space pavilion, you would be convinced that the weight of the building (sinkhole) would not be a factor.

Anyone happen to have a picture of it to share?

Imagine the Horizons building with two enclosed tight verticle "corkscrews" on either side of the main entrance of the building. The ride vehicles were capable of leaning forward and back.

Manipulating the angle of the seat, in conjunction with the speed of the vehicle going up or down the corkscrews, would simulate the g-forces and weightlessness of take off and re-entry.

It is hard to explain but it looked pretty cool.

Thanks for putting me straight -- I was falling down into the sinkhole! What I was really trying to say is that @marni1971 and @tribbleorlfl could both be right.

I'm going to blame all this on @wdwmagic. :cool: Way, way back when Horizons was just closed and there were reports of the press going through the attraction, and everyone was expecting the pavilion to open for 2000 and then it didn't -- there was a news item here at WDWMagic saying that Disney had found structural issues Horizons and that they decided to close down the building for safety reasons. For some reason I can no longer find that news entry on this site. Also, there were several reports on the Yahoo Group, The Horizons Tribute, where several people posted that the ride system had become more unreliable due to issues with the track. I'm pretty sure that some of those people worked at Epcot. So there's that, for what's it worth. No mention of a sinkhole at that time from what I recall.

As for building Mission Space in the same spot and there being soil problems, they could remedy that by building a raft foundation for the new building -- basically the entire building "floats" on the substandard soil. They have been using that method to build skyscrapers on Chicago's muddy soil since the late 1800's. I don't think that one can build such foundations on sinkholes though. I know that Imagineers may have some inside scoop on the development of the rides and shows but even the most cordial one would admit that they are focused on the show and wouldn't necessarily be involved in the details of the structural design. Because Epcot was such a large project, a lot of the architectural work was contracted out to various individual firms.

I realize that there were several plans to rework the pavilion into a space pavilion, including a "jetpack ride" that reused a portion of the ride track, and a walkthrough of the Omnimax theater. But those plans could either have been changed because the costs to repair the structure, or because the centrifuge concept would not work with the existing building -- so nothing conclusive there.

But one has to admit that the sinkhole rumor is pretty intriguing. It's probably right up there with the Journey Into Imagination turntable screwing itself into the ground, and would explain how several monorail footers have mysteriously disappeared. ;)

Funmeister

Thanks for putting me straight -- I was falling down into the sinkhole! What I was really trying to say is that @marni1971 and @tribbleorlfl could both be right.

I'm going to blame all this on @wdwmagic. :cool: Way, way back when Horizons was just closed and there were reports of the press going through the attraction, and everyone was expecting the pavilion to open for 2000 and then it didn't -- there was a news item here at WDWMagic saying that Disney had found structural issues Horizons and that they decided to close down the building for safety reasons. For some reason I can no longer find that news entry on this site. Also, there were several reports on the Yahoo Group, The Horizons Tribute, where several people posted that the ride system had become more unreliable due to issues with the track. I'm pretty sure that some of those people worked at Epcot. So there's that, for what's it worth. No mention of a sinkhole at that time from what I recall.

As for building Mission Space in the same spot and there being soil problems, they could remedy that by building a raft foundation for the new building -- basically the entire building "floats" on the substandard soil. They have been using that method to build skyscrapers on Chicago's muddy soil since the late 1800's. I don't think that one can build such foundations on sinkholes though. I know that Imagineers may have some inside scoop on the development of the rides and shows but even the most cordial one would admit that they are focused on the show and wouldn't necessarily be involved in the details of the structural design. Because Epcot was such a large project, a lot of the architectural work was contracted out to various individual firms.

I realize that there were several plans to rework the pavilion into a space pavilion, including a "jetpack ride" that reused a portion of the ride track, and a walkthrough of the Omnimax theater. But those plans could either have been changed because the costs to repair the structure, or because the centrifuge concept would not work with the existing building -- so nothing conclusive there.

But one has to admit that the sinkhole rumor is pretty intriguing. It's probably right up there with the Journey Into Imagination turntable screwing itself into the ground, and would explain how several monorail footers have mysteriously disappeared. ;)

The REAL "sinkhole" is Duffy the Disney Bear! When will they fill THAT hole in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom