A Spirited Perfect Ten

Kman101

USF has a few places to just chill. The lagoon side of Duff Gardens is nice. Lombard's deck is pretty chill. And I have spent way too much time holding down a bar stool in Finnagan's with my skinny backside. Also the Central Park area is pretty quite.

But my absolute favorite place to chill in all of Orlando (WDW included) is to share a bottle and a cheese board sitting harbor side with some friends at The Thirsty Fish at Portofino Bay. Blows WS out of the water in the relaxed themed entertainment environment category (mostly because WS is always so crowded).

71538244.jpg

I'm pages and pages behind, naturally, but Central Park was EMPTY (well, minus one couple and what looked like a maintenance/tech guy enjoying the grassy little hill) last time I was in the park (about a month ago) and it was a fairly heavy crowds day, IMO, and it was just so nice. Really really nice place to relax. Literally next to no one walks through there. Tons of space and lots of greenery. I stayed there for quite a while just enjoying it. There were a few others with the same idea. Uni definitely has a *few* places to relax and "get away". I do think Uni needs to offer a bit more than just all thrills all the time but I'm also not complaining about what they offer, LOL.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Tue.. Wednesday Musings:

First, the next person who suggests that Small World should be moved to EPCOT I will personally hunt down like on a personal safari and when I am done with you, I'll place your head on my wall (with Mouse Ears on top, naturally). Small World is the quintessential MK attraction. It truly is as important to a castle park as the damn castle. It is one huge issue I have with Shanghai Disneyland as it isn't being built there, likely because Shendi/CCP didn't want it.

And any of you who think the MK lacks for useable expansion space are just flat out mistaken, misinformed and confused. So ... please ... do you really want to be a trophy on my Jungle Room wall?

Couldn't help but notice that Pixar thanked Diane Disney and Ron Miller at the end of Inside Out. I'm not really sure why. No, they didn't thank Bob Iger or Tom Staggs or Jay Rasulo.

Speaking of Jay, I wonder if his office is empty yet ...

As a topic, sinkholes are worse than monorail footers.

Forgot to mention yesterday that Richard Branson and his Virgin empire (Virgin America isn't all that based upon my one experience with them) are expanding to the seas with the launch of a cruise line announced yesterday in Miami by the head of the new enterprise: Tom McAlpin. You may recognize the name as he was the former head of DCL before being pushed out for Karl Holz (a lesser exec, a far lesser human being).

The details are below, but the launch is going to be in 2020 from Miami with three ships on order from the same Italian shipyard that birthed (or berthed!) the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-virgin-cruises-launch-details-20150623-story.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article25368637.html

How do you know that Tom Staggs (he of the Strat Planning Class of 1990) is truly the worst thing you could ever have leading Disney in three years? Both Michael Eisner and Bob Iger love Staggs. Yeah, if they agree on something like that, then you better believe it isn't a good thing.

For those of you who only care about the bottom line, there's this:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walt-disney-boosts-dividend-by-804915

And a link on the saga of a Club 33 member who had his membership revoked:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/club-668224-membership-disney.html

WDW1974

Original Poster
I will have to wait until Tuesday to see Inside Out. It's $5 for any ticket on Tuesday. I'm striving to be a faux 1%er. I used yesterday to see Jurassic World which I thoroughly enjoyed. It dragged in a few places and some of the acting was contrived but the visuals made up for it. I also have to forgive some of the acting issues as it is very hard to interact with a green screen. I've done a little acting in my youth and prefer live theater.

I am looking forward to seeing Inside Out even though I will be by myself in a theater full of kids.

Just don't start blubbering. I was worried that might happen to me based upon reading what others had said, saw, and experienced. But while some of it sorta got be choked up, it didn't bring me to tears.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Afternoon linkage:
Alan Horn uses his Warners connections for a new Charles Darwin project for Walt Disney Pictures
http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-charles-darwin/
Compare the Chinese reception to "Jurrasic World" to Disney's clueless attempt to force Star Wars into the mainland
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-jurassic-world-china-20150622-story.html#page=1

And finally, a great long form interview with Pete Docter from The Dissolve. I would not recommend reading it unless you've seen "Inside Out".
http://thedissolve.com/features/interview/1075-pete-docter-on-the-goals-and-milestones-of-inside-/

Thanks for the links.

And you are sooooo wrong. They love Star Wars (fave character: Darth Iger!) in the Mainland, almost as much as they love Mickey and Minnie.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Who wants to read Tom Stagg's employment agreement? $2M plus bonuses..... dios mio.

That salary isn't high at all. I bet we have some folks here who actually are in that ballpark.

The value of a Disney exec contract is all about bonuses and stock. George Kalogridis is likely worth over $10 million now (leaving Andy's wealth out of things). He didn't get that from 45 years of raises and better positions (do I want to make a joke here? let me count the ways ...)

It's all about the stock.

Steel City Magic

The Millenium Tent however is *enormous*, and could easily hold all the Festival Center events with room to spare *and* have areas roped off for private parties at the same time, so they really should move it there.
Dear god, the milenium tent is still there? I was there for milenium dreamers back in 99-2000. I didn't think it'd be permanent. Why oh why has a tent been up for the past 15 years?

Funmeister

Not to knock your source, but one would think one who worked maintenance on the building would be very credible. Even if it wasn't a sinkhole, structural issues due to shifting foundations seems very plausible.

If you could see the original conceptual artwork for turning Horizons into a Space pavilion, you would be convinced that the weight of the building (sinkhole) would not be a factor.

Anyone happen to have a picture of it to share?

Imagine the Horizons building with two enclosed tight verticle "corkscrews" on either side of the main entrance of the building. The ride vehicles were capable of leaning forward and back.

Manipulating the angle of the seat, in conjunction with the speed of the vehicle going up or down the corkscrews, would simulate the g-forces and weightlessness of take off and re-entry.

It is hard to explain but it looked pretty cool.

Funmeister

Of course it did. And the castle turrets are removable in case of a hurricane. The spots on the Swan and Dolphin are for where the monorail will go. A fifth theme park based on Marvel and Star Wars is being planned near Flamingo Crossing. ...shall I go on?

You forgot that the monoliths, with all of the peoples little pictures on it in front of Spaceship Earth, is actually a memorial of all of he CM slaves who died pushing the big ball on top of its pedestal...oh wait.

BrerJon

Dear god, the milenium tent is still there? I was there for milenium dreamers back in 99-2000. I didn't think it'd be permanent. Why oh why has a tent been up for the past 15 years?

When your newest major attraction is nine years old, when your main parade was over a decade old before being replaced... time just moves slower in WDW, that's all. The hat and wand were temporary too, but they took a long time to go anywhere.

As WDW tries to position itself as a resort exclusively for the rich, they need spaces like the tent to hold private events away from the unwashed, so the tent is probably here for a while. It also has the largest bathrooms on property (and in Florida, quite probably!), so the plumbing alone would probably not be cheap to move.

Phil12

Not to knock your source, but one would think one who worked maintenance on the building would be very credible. Even if it wasn't a sinkhole, structural issues due to shifting foundations seems very plausible.
The problem is the designer of Horizons was neither an architect, geologist nor a maintenance foreman responsible for the upkeep of the building. The designer of Horizons is a show designer. I agree that tribbleorlfl's father would have been in a position to know the truth of the matter.

Quinnmac000

Very cool rumors from a source that broke the Nintendo Skylanders deal on a possible Disney/Nintendo film deal. It's interesting that Nintendoland could end up being Universal's second "Marvel Superhero Island".

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...nintendo-mobile-games-on-the-amazon-appstore/

I don't believe it...because last night there also was a rumour that the Legend of Zelda TV show was going to Amazon which would make no sense why they would go with Amazon instead of Disney to begin with for all film/tv deals.

FigmentJedi

I don't believe it...because last night there also was a rumour that the Legend of Zelda TV show was going to Amazon which would make no sense why they would go with Amazon instead of Disney to begin with for all film/tv deals.
You're mixing that up with the Netflix rumor. I think Nintendo's trying to keep this new licensing venture more open versus sticking to a single source, much like pre-MCU Marvel.

FigmentJedi

Yeah about that, check their source link
http://season-zero.com/exclusive-legend-of-zelda-tv-series-adaptation-goes-to-pilot-stage-at-amazon/
UPDATE: As some of you have mentionned in the comments, there was a bit of confusion about the “Zelda” project for Amazon. Turns out it’s not “Legend Of Zelda” but “Zelda” (working title “Z”), about novelist Zelda Fitzgerald, played by Christina Ricci. Sorry for the false alarm, but rest assured Season Zero will continue to provide you pilot previews and reliable news about TV projects, as we’ve done before with exclusive contents like NBC’s 2015 Fall Schedule and new series key arts, the Bradley Cooper guest-starring in Limitless pilot, HBO’s order for new Jenji Kohan show or AMC’s series order for “Fear The Walking Dead”. Thanks for your understanding. Mistakes happen.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Of course it did. And the castle turrets are removable in case of a hurricane. The spots on the Swan and Dolphin are for where the monorail will go. A fifth theme park based on Marvel and Star Wars is being planned near Flamingo Crossing. ...shall I go on?
Although I enjoyed Inside Out, Lava impressed me even more. I stopped eating my Fork and Screen $16 chicken strips from being drawn in by the animation, story, and music.

That being said, Inside Out has no business being in the Imagination Pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom