A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

At Disney, you would be SHOCKED by how little training actually happens. Your local business probably does more mentoring, in reality, and so can't even comprehend how little they do. Videos in a room at DU, doesn't cut it. My Dad has problems 90% of the time when he buys something with an employee discount. Many can't even recognize the maingate, and so don't even know where to begin. The only place it regularly does not happen is the shop in Japan. He's been told he doesn't get a discount, told he doesn't get one on that particular item, told that if they go get their manager they will get in trouble, and every other excuse under the sun. To use an employee discount. Where in the real world do you have trouble with one of those? So how well, do you think they know the other tasks of their job?

In my Mom's last job she had to pass a special class. You would think that would equal training. No, it was a class for how one of the computer software packages worked. And that didn't tell her a darn thing about everything that needed to get done. Her first day in new job, was a Sunday when there was no one else of her type available to even ask questions of. She wasn't even told where the office was to report to, just Epcot-France. She needed a radio, no one ever asked if she had one, or if she knew how to use it. Also, when you are new they move you around as "temps." So one week you're in Epcot, the next week All Star Sports, the next week Liberty Square, where each of them operate under a different set of procedures, and if you aren't in a park, you are on your own, no one to ask. Everyone said my Mom was a great employee, and that's why she was recommended to do that job, but she spent the first couple months in tears because she didn't want to do a bad job and there were no resources available to help her. She'd call others of her type and a lot of them admitted they didn't know either. Eventually, she got a more permanent (lasted months instead of a week), temporary spot, and the front line CMs she interacted with were fabulous, so she was able to really learn so when she got her permanent post she knew what to do. But when she got there, she found that nothing except the most base level of tasks had been performed in over a year. When my Mom passed away, a couple of her co-workers were so shook up because they knew that without my Mom, things were going to go back to the way things were before she came...chaos.

When Disney altered their training, they did it at a time where there were a lot more full-time, career employees who were able to provide adequate on-location training. Those days are long gone, and in a world where CPs and IPs turn over 6 months, a year, there are few that are truly capable of providing it. There is little "institutional knowledge" remaining.

Your mom sounds like she was an absolute wonderful person and a special special lady! People like your mom are very very hard to come by and when you find one you thank god everyday for getting the honor to work with them and have them in your life!

gmajew

This, I agree with. Everyone I know (very talented and dedicated folks) knocks themselves out just trying not to get fired.

This is not the life good employees deserve. I am professional news photographer/satellite truck operator. I have done it for 20 years, and have been in my position for 6 years. I don't feel (after 6 years) secure enough in my position to buy a house in the market. I feel I could be fired at any day regardless of my performance. At 51, that is not a great position to be in.

And I guarantee that no one in the market has more "skills" than I do. I am good at what I do. I take pride in my work. And I get yelled at daily.
There is a time and place for yelling on the job but if it is all the time everyday then it does not create a proper work environment that people can grow.

I tell people all the time if you are not happy and not appreciated that no one deserves that. It is sad that it does happen in today's world. I wish you find the job or change you need to make you feel secure and happy in life to enjoy it and what you do to make a living.

People need to enjoy what they do and not just work for a check!

Mike S

Most reviews for the new Fast and Furious attraction in USH are pretty terrible. The Disaster refit, may be a disaster in itself.
@marni1971 said just today that the F&F ride coming to USF will be new and not based on the USH version.
Disaster. And not the USF attraction due to be replaced with another E ticket.
You mean an enhanced version of the disastrous F&F tram experience at USH? Uni is gonna need to do A LOT of work to bring that turd up to speed and be considered anything close to an E-ticket.
F&F is still favourite for it. But not the USH version.

ETA: forgot this one.
The current ride won't last much longer. It's been limping for a while now. Part of the reason of thinking from new.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Maybe your compensation package isn't attractive enough to attract the team you want.

That is what the entire convo is about.
What is an acceptable profit margin? Restaurants already operate on some of the smallest margins in the business world. Further reducing those tiny margins does nothing for job security. There cannot be absolutes of people all being paid poorly, etc. unless there is a set standard of what a wage is should support and what level of profit is acceptable.

hopemax

Your mom sounds like she was an absolute wonderful person and a special special lady! People like your mom are very very hard to come by and when you find one you thank god everyday for getting the honor to work with them and have them in your life!

She was. And yet Disney managers...didn't. Co workers, other positions of weak authority, definitely. At least the ones that didn't hate her because "she was making them look bad," or "she expected them to do things the right way, and not any darn way they pleased (not millennial age group)."

Milk Crate

I never said you don't train them properly and train them to be what you want. The issue is most today just don't got it! They rather be at home playing video games etc.

Not like the old days when work was the highlight of your day!

Boy, I sure don't find myself nodding with @Disneyhead'71 very often but spot on replies to this nonsense. Succinct, to the point and perfect. I'm not just nodding, I'm applauding.

Disneyhead'71

Most reviews for the new Fast and Furious attraction in USH are pretty terrible. The Disaster refit, may be a disaster in itself.
A few bad reviews. A lot of mediocre reviews. 1 good review. Seems like it is by no means a home run.

Fortunately, Orlando was never supposed to get the Hollywood version. But as a disclaimer, isn't bad acting, laughable script, and ridiculous action what F$F is about? (I've never actually seen a whole F$F movie).

gmajew

What is an acceptable profit margin? Restaurants already operate on some of the smallest margins in the business world. Further reducing those tiny margins does nothing for job security. There cannot be absolutes of people all being paid poorly, etc. unless there is a set standard of what a wage is should support and what level of profit is acceptable.

That is the point that people don't get if labor keeps going up because of forced min wage etc it does not mean just those making min wage goes up it is every employee working for you. Someone making 15 an hour today won't be happy to be making same wage if min wage is now 15. So the business is just suppose to eat this raise and not raise prices or what lose money now? How long will these people have jobs if the company has to doors.

A restaurant typically makes 10 percent profit. That is the industry average actually may be high. That does not include taxes debt service etc. not much left to survive.

So what will happen prices will go up. Because we will pay more for food we buy which then means a higher cogs plus higher labor. It is a never ending battle.

asianway

Thus the self induced HR paradox.

It is my premise that there are many unemployed individuals with years of "outside your box" life experience that would bring new life into existing companies if only for a modicum of onboarding.
You are 100% correct. And if I see you're unemployed with 2 jobs of 5 years each vs 10 jobs of less than a year I look at you very differently.

hopemax

That is the point that people don't get if labor keeps going up because of forced min wage etc it does not mean just those making min wage goes up it is every employee working for you. Someone making 15 an hour today won't be happy to be making same wage if min wage is now 15. So the business is just suppose to eat this raise and not raise prices or what lose money now? How long will these people have jobs if the company has to **** doors.

A restaurant typically makes 10 percent profit. That is the industry average actually may be high. That does not include taxes debt service etc. not much left to survive.

So what will happen prices will go up. Because we will pay more for food we buy which then means a higher cogs plus higher labor. It is a never ending battle.

Well, in theory, "if every employee has more money in their pocket," you'd also have more customers. And existing customers with more money might order a more expensive item dinner with a higher margin, order a drink with dinner instead of drinking water, order dessert, or visit more frequently.

It's all a balancing act. Free economies mean the pendulum swings both ways between labor and business. Neither side gets to be the soul determinant. The current unrest is because the pendulum has been toward the business side for many years, it was always destined to come back.

gmajew

Well, in theory, "if every employee has more money in their pocket," you'd also have more customers. And existing customers with more money might order a more expensive item dinner with a higher margin, order a drink with dinner instead of drinking water, order dessert, or visit more frequently.

It's all a balancing act. Free economies mean the pendulum swings both ways between labor and business. Neither side gets to be the soul determinant. The current unrest is because the pendulum has been toward the business side for many years, it was always destined to come back.

The easiest way to do this because if you put the burden once business to improve the quality of life for their workers by paying them more means the price of the same goods will go up as much.

So the way to fix it is really get gov spending under control and lower tax rates so people have more money in their pockets. And not just income tax. Lowered sales tax lower everything. Only way this cycle does not repeat over and over again.

Milk Crate

The easiest way to do this because if you put the burden once business to improve the quality of life for their workers by paying them more means the price of the same goods will go up as much.

So the way to fix it is really get gov spending under control and lower tax rates so people have more money in their pockets. And not just income tax. Lowered sales tax lower everything. Only way this cycle does not repeat over and over again.

That's why low-level retail workers are flocking to Alaska in droves. No sales tax.

So bizarre, too, how executive compensation continues to rise regardless (almost in spite) of tax increases.

Every morning, every evening, ain't we got fun?

lazyboy97o

More customers who are paying more for their goods, who will then need to be paid more to buy more goods. These types of increases only work really well when they are still limited. Part of Disney's problem is that they offer bottom barrel compensation and get that sort of employee in return. Just because those employees are in practice being paid more real wages, if they are still the bottom of the wage barrel the quality of employee will not rise.

Last edited:

gmajew

That's why low-level retail workers are flocking to Alaska in droves. No sales tax.

So bizarre, too, how executive compensation continues to rise regardless (almost in spite) of tax increases.

Every morning, every evening, ain't we got fun?

I think it is funny when people complain about executive pay or business owners income. their is always a food chain in the world and the top always will make more then the bottom. It is not everyone make the same thing and all will be good in the world.

Executive pay and bonus stock options etc is all good! yes it looks crazy how can anyone be worth that but we are a free market system and the free market says it can! People really need to stop complaining about it....

If you don't want to make a min pay job then guess what work harder get out their and be the best of the best and I promise you you will be rewarded. That is what is missing from the work force today that attitude!

Instead people say will look my boss makes x it is unfair he should take a pay cut so I can have more but not do anymore or risk everything to start a business.

Nubs70

I think it is funny when people complain about executive pay or business owners income. their is always a food chain in the world and the top always will make more then the bottom. It is not everyone make the same thing and all will be good in the world.

Executive pay and bonus stock options etc is all good! yes it looks crazy how can anyone be worth that but we are a free market system and the free market says it can! People really need to stop complaining about it....

If you don't want to make a min pay job then guess what work harder get out their and be the best of the best and I promise you you will be rewarded. That is what is missing from the work force today that attitude!

Instead people say will look my boss makes x it is unfair he should take a pay cut so I can have more but not do anymore or risk everything to start a business.
I see compensation along the lines of the Multi Level Marketing model.

If base salary = x
Then total compensation = x + [1+.01y]^n+1
Where:
X = base salary
Y = area of responsibility factor
n = level in organization

Maybe it's over simplified, but still the general concept.

RSoxNo1

There's plenty of good DIsney sci-fi. The problem is hardly anyone watches them because fantasy is so embedded into Disney's identity and brand that normies keep going "NOT MUH DISNEY" when confronted with a Disney sci-fi film and skipping 'em. Lilo and Stitch is one of the few exceptions and Big Hero 6 probably managed to squeak by because it's a superhero/Marvel film.
It's a fair point regarding both of those movies. I should clarify, that they can't do live action sci-fi.

Disneyhead'71

First, there is a big difference between CEO class and small business owner. And second, I'll give ya that the restaurant business is a tricky, low margin endeavor. Even big name pros like Cat Whatshername have trouble navigating those waters.

But that doesn't negate the fact that America is getting tired of having HR coach them on how to apply for SNAP while the CEO is buying private islands.

There used to be a saying that a rising tide raises all boats. Now it's the rising tide raises a few boats while most people watch their rented apartments be flooded out.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose"-Some old Hippie Chick (luv ya, Janis)

RSoxNo1

Spirited Jurassic Musings:

Saw Jurassic World tonight, a bit later than planned because ... well, it truly seems to be that type of summer blockbuster that really gets people out beyond the crazy diehards who do previews and/or the first 48 hours. Wound up seeing a showing 45 minutes later because the the three in between were all sold out. Now, this is a 24-screen multiplex. One that had the film showing in about 14-16 at once.

The crowd was electric in a way that I can't recall seeing in a long time. It was a fun experience.
I believe some of my MAGICal readers were in the audience with me, and no I am not kidding (to my haters, it's just pure ego, the same reason you can't quit me!)

Couldn't help but note how many people were in the 25-34 demo that would have been kids when the the first film came out back in 1993. I know we've had lots of chatter about how great Star Wars will do with us kids of the 70s and 80s, which I think is true, and I think many people underestimated just how important a film Jurassic Park was to a generation as well. I'm sure the two lousy sequels didn't help the matter at all.

Sorta surprised that no one in the fan community has notices or mentioned the 'Thanks' in the credits that went to Kathleen Kennedy and Brad Bird or that the latter had a 'voice' role in the film.

It's easily the best film I've seen this summer. It's what a summer film should be. Age of Ultron was all fighting and 'splosions and 'in' jokes for the Marvel fanbois. Not bad, but not particularly good either. Tomorrowland had such promise, and I give credit for that, but ultimately faltered badly in the third act.

JW had it all. The nods to the original film. The commentary on everything from theme park crass commercialization to man playing God again. Plenty of action, but not much gore (there's generally more in one scene of The Walking Dead than in the entire film). I even enjoyed the ending, which felt a bit convenient and went for the fanboi desire, but brought it home.

I think this film is going to have some legs. And when all is said and done, I'm not so sure that The Force Awakens will make more $$$. But that remains to be seen.

In an era where we are going to be seeing (sadly) more and more films based on franchises at least it's comforting to know that the world of dinos is back on track and was well worth waiting the extra few years as they got it all together.

The other big takeaway is that Chris Pratt, who I've always felt had breakout star potential, is going to be making just HUGE money now every time he signs on the line. Between Guardians last summer and JW this summer, he just has the look of a rising mega-star. And from what I've been told, he really is a great guy, which makes it all the better.

Anyway, didn't want to post anything with spoliers and they aren't needed. But if you want a fun summer action flick that doesn't require buying into a BRAND and another 112 films, then JW is for you. Especially if you love dinos!

Now, I can look forward to Inside Out next week!
I did see Brad Bird's name in the credits and just assumed there was another Brad Bird.

gmajew

First, there is a big difference between CEO class and small business owner. And second, I'll give ya that the restaurant business is a tricky, low margin endeavor. Even big name pros like Cat Whatshername have trouble navigating those waters.

But that doesn't negate the fact that America is getting tired of having HR coach them on how to apply for SNAP while the CEO is buying private islands.

There used to be a saying that a rising tide raises all boats. Now it's the rising tide raises a few boats while most people watch their rented apartments be flooded out.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose"-Some old Hippie Chick (luv ya, Janis)

So do you want everyone to make the same thing no matter the job? Those that rise to the top rise for reasons. And should be rewarded for that. Let's look at your industry. If a co worker did a documentary series and won critical and professional claim because he took the gmsble to do the series worked the extra hours on his own to make it happen not reap the rewards? Or should he have to hand over the money and spread it evenly to everyone else?

I believe those thst rise that get to the top should be rewarded. Not everyone is going to reach those heights not everyone can but everyone has a part to play in society.

That does not mean they should go hungry or with our healthcare etc but don't hate those that have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom