A Spirited Perfect Ten

Prog

So if I'm to understand this correctly, TWDC currently has:
- A stock bubble induced by buybacks, which cannot possibly be sustainable
- A $5B resort that is being set up for failure
- The most popular resort in the country that's quickly earning a rep among the general public as being decrepit and expensive, a destination for the nostalgic, the weird, and the "obligated" parent
Am I wrong in thinking that these three are going to ensure that TWDC is going to fall from its cloud, and hard? If not, then what happens?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am going for two weeks. Most of the time will be at WDW with 2-3 days at Universal, a Day of shopping (lord help me and my wallet) Days at the pool, waterparks, time watching the animals outside our room, relaxing with our friends and family, going on rides, spending evenings in EPCOT, over at the boardwalk, watching fireworks, etc. We see some of our family once every couple of years and have some first timers and kids so to me 2 weeks isn't really overkill when you are in a place you really enjoy and a place where you can relax and be yourself and laugh and cry.

Now if I were as angry or upset or PO'd as some people here are, I wouldn't spend my time in Disney at all. I would take a cruise and spend a couple days before or after at Universal as I have in the past or go to an island for a week or fly over to Europe. I really don't get why people continue to go if they dislike WDW so much. I dont think I could sit around on the net and complain about how far downhill the place has gone and continue to spend my money there. I dont buy clothes at Old Navy because i know i will get a couple washes out of them at most. I don't eat at McDonalds anymore because the food tastes horrible to me.

Being a tuna and all, I'm not sure that you can appreciate the nuances here. And why some of us criticize and still visit (if far less and spending even less $$$!) But coming into a thread like this on page 1031 and bringing up such a topic is just a futile waste of your time and, much more importantly, mine too!

PhotoDave219

I can't say whether Disney is engaging in any illegal dealings either here or overseas (although the fact they have had laws written to just benefit them speaks volumes).

But I absolutely can say Disney is an incredibly ethically challenged corporation.

I would say Disney is very challenged when it comes to basic right and wrong and when it comes to how to treat people.... Yes, all companies are like that but it doesnt make it right.

Nubs70

I wonder if the guy who wrote that got paid a bonus rate for every time he used the word 'brand'.

Also this sentence: "As mentioned previously, it costs much less to retain a customer than to find a new one. " - erm, if that's true, then they really don't seem to practice what they preach at WDW where they appear to have zero interest in long-time returning guests, and concentrate solely on the 'one and dones'.
Disney should just rebrand the Disney Institute as the Disney Institute of Industrial Theme Park Management.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would say Disney is very challenged when it comes to basic right and wrong and when it comes to how to treat people.... Yes, all companies are like that but it doesnt make it right.

Yep ... and that's why Disney's preachy, goody-goody, moral image becomes a huge liability. Because when you do things that are illegal or simply immoral, unethical or yucky, you will be shamed.

Again, I've said it countless times. But social media could absolutely do a huge number on the company. But really do you think all the whores, Lifestylers, Twit Bois, podcasters etc would be willing to take part -- an active role -- in bringing about the change that so many clamor for?

I just don't see it.

Mike S

I wonder if the guy who wrote that got paid a bonus rate for every time he used the word 'brand'.

Also this sentence: "As mentioned previously, it costs much less to retain a customer than to find a new one. " - erm, if that's true, then they really don't seem to practice what they preach at WDW where they appear to have zero interest in long-time returning guests, and concentrate solely on the 'one and dones'.
And this one, "There are parks around the world that spend a lot of time and money developing top-notch rides and attractions, but still struggle with the overall customer experience." Are they referring to who I think they're referring to?

Disneyhead'71

If you know something, then spill ... or simply drop me a note, although I know I owe you one already!
And with that size of property, I'm sure more can be done ... especially if some of the surrounding properties were to be ... purchased! :D
I've heard 2 hotels (1 high end, 1 moderate family suites) and a dining/entertainment complex.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think what is being alluded to is the ridicule and contempt constantly hurled at Iger and the Board....it's a little much. Reminds me of the hate Eisner got towards the end...only much more vocal and bitter. I agree there are fair criticisms. Some I personally find more sensible than others. The snide comments and sarcastic tone is a bit much at times and does beg the question posed: If you feel so strongly, why continue to support the parks/company/brand? That said I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, and refuse to put anyone on ignore.

That's a good question.

A good (and honest) answer is that in three years time, the entire top leadership of TWDC will be different. Iger and Staggs will be gone ... just like Crofton and Rasulo now ... Georgie K will be able to do a big spread for The Advocate as he'll be history too. So many ... Horn won't be running the Studios come 2018. Holz won't be running DCL.

On a MUCH lower level, even Phil Holmes won't be lurking under the MK about 112 days a year.

I grew up on Disney. I loved the parks. EPCOT Center inspired me on so many levels in a way that is scary to think about when you see what it is today. I loved animation and films. ... Then as I got older, I began to make friends in the company (from front line to top creatives to the exec level).

I still love spending time with family and friends at Disney's P&R and on the DCL, but far less at WDW.

Just because I can't stand current leadership doesn't mean all of that dies. ... Because TWDC should be around in three years. And all of those people who are so important to it today? They won't be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No kidding. I am amused by how the discussion around Animal Kingdom has changed so much. It's no longer the derided half day park. It's the park with great, consistent theming, good attractions, doesn't require an uber plan of attack, and a nice place to just hang for a little.

The park hasn't changed. But everywhere else has (loss of identity at Epcot, loss of things to do at DHS, crowds at MK). Some say people don't care about such things, but they do, and respond accordingly even if they don't verbalize that it does matter.

It is the best park at WDW. Even with the issues (like Disco Yeti) it is the best park they have right now, by a large margin. The issue is that it doesn't have lots of 'rides' ... or lots of pricey full serve dining ... or a night spectacular (that is changing as we know). The park is still true to its mission statement. And, yes, they are improving it or attempting to and should be credited for that.

But some people aren't into animals. I don't think I could be friends with someone who couldn't appreciate them. Some people can't grasp why a close friend and I spent 30-40 minutes just watching the baby gorillas when we could have been riding something crappy like PotC or TSMM or Tron Track instead. No matter how great DAK becomes there will always be a significant number of people who are like ''I don't want to go a Disney zoo.''

I say let them have the mess that are the other parks right now.

TalkingHead

Speaking of WDW's treatment of CMs. I remember very well when I was an hourly CM I had a one-time school conflict that came up several days before one of my scheduled shifts. I asked one of the managers about this, and whether I could be rescheduled -- she said, very dismissively, "Nope" and told me I'd have to take whatever penalty points would be assigned for not showing for my shift.

Now, I already knew the hourly-CM life wasn't going to be my future, but that exchange said volumes about how a lot of managers view the CMs -- disposable, interchangeable cogs in the machine. It did nothing to make me regret dropping from FT to Casual status.

It all worked out in the end. I wound up with a closetful of costumes that never got returned to Costuming. :angelic:

TalkingHead

It is the best park at WDW. Even with the issues (like Disco Yeti) it is the best park they have right now, by a large margin. The issue is that it doesn't have lots of 'rides' ... or lots of pricey full serve dining ... or a night spectacular (that is changing as we know). The park is still true to its mission statement. And, yes, they are improving it or attempting to and should be credited for that.

But some people aren't into animals. I don't think I could be friends with someone who couldn't appreciate them. Some people can't grasp why a close friend and I spent 30-40 minutes just watching the baby gorillas when we could have been riding something crappy like PotC or TSMM or Tron Track instead. No matter how great DAK becomes there will always be a significant number of people who are like ''I don't want to go a Disney zoo.''

I say let them have the mess that are the other parks right now.

It's a park I liked going to as a local when I got into the habit of spending a few hours at a park and going home. (Seriously, as locals know, it's the best way to do the parks.)

It's not a park that's worth it's 1-day admission cost, but you could argue that for all the parks.

I still associate DAK with being brutally hot during the summer on days like today when it feels like 110 outside. I mean, I know all the parks are hot during summer, but I just always think of DAK as being sweltering. However, in January or February, it's a fantastic place to be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney is apparently holding the [more than likely] state-owed LDI to enforce its much higher standards for construction quality. How is that not Disney winning a dispute with the state?

Setting aside Mike Crawford's increasing restlessness when ''keeping his mouth shut'' over in Singapore about his experiences running Disney's side of the Shanghai operations until last summer ... there's a basic misunderstanding here likely predicated on a western perspective, which is understandable. The reason why the issue of graft is so sensitive for TWDC may well speak to the institutional nature of how we term 'part of doing business (in China)'.

You see the rebuilding going on as an example of Disney flexing its muscle and making sure the park is built to their high standards. There's another side to that, which you are not factoring in because it may not enter your thought process: rinse, lather, repeat.

The more times you build and rebuild, the more you can charge and there's nothing illegal about that, is there?

And the contractor doing the work? Disney has little, if any, actual say on it. The company that gets to do the rebuilding work? That's the company that got the contract to build it to begin with. And the person who was given the contract to do the demolition of the previously done work? It's a Party favor (not like a Pin the Tale on the Fanboi game).

You see, the rebuilding ... that's all part of the building. Just how it's done.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My quandary is how millennials will last to make it to the top. If you are working for lesser ethical superiors, you will have to have taken on the lesser ethical traits in order to remain and be considered for executive leadership.

While I know some very ethical young people, I also know some that would fit in perfectly with the Disney of today (and I obviously don't mean that as a compliment).

I think there's always a tendency to blame the young people in each generation because the older people (I guess I am one of them now!) always think they have it easier than we did. And in some ways, we did. Can you imagine taking college courses while using smartphones, computers and tablets? (Seeing how many college grads are almost functionally illiterate, I can!) Every generation benefits from technology and advancements in so many other things (hell, when I went to school in Florida, you couldn't wear shorts to school. Really. Do you know how much fun it was to soak your jeans in sweat at 6 a.m. and have those clothes sticking to you until 3 p.m.?)

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that ethics are not a generational issue at all. And sadly, more people of EVERY generation seem to be lacking in that dept.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How well would WDW work without employees?

Then they are an essential asset, and shouldn't be treated like they do nothing but cost the company money.

I really hate that corporate mindset.

Just like fans on social media, if Disney CMs ever organized (and you don't a union for that) and started demanding things and had sick outs and the like or slowdowns ... guess what? Things would change. ... But I doubt you'll ever see this either.

I really wish people got that they do have power, but it comes in numbers.

Prog

While I know some very ethical young people, I also know some that would fit in perfectly with the Disney of today (and I obviously don't mean that as a compliment).

I think there's always a tendency to blame the young people in each generation because the older people (I guess I am one of them now!) always think they have it easier than we did. And in some ways, we did. Can you imagine taking college courses while using smartphones, computers and tablets? (Seeing how many college grads are almost functionally illiterate, I can!) Every generation benefits from technology and advancements in so many other things (hell, when I went to school in Florida, you couldn't wear shorts to school. Really. Do you know how much fun it was to soak your jeans in sweat at 6 a.m. and have those clothes sticking to you until 3 p.m.?)

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that ethics are not a generational issue at all. And sadly, more people of EVERY generation seem to be lacking in that dept.
As some could tell from my outlash at whomever it was before, I'm not a big fan of the constant bashing of my generation. I realize that it's a continuous thing that every teenager before me had to endure, but I find that a lot of my peers have been convinced that our generation is horrible, and this generation seems to be incredibly self-deprecating. Although the Carousel of Progress and Epcot are what they are today, I've still been inspired to be hopeful for the future and saddened by the influx of pessimism toward it.
For that I thank you for this post, as it's encouraging to have beliefs reaffirmed by someone wiser.

Mike S

As some could tell from my outlash at whomever it was before, I'm not a big fan of the constant bashing of my generation. I realize that it's a continuous thing that every teenager before me had to endure, but I find that a lot of my peers have been convinced that our generation is horrible, and this generation seems to be incredibly self-deprecating. Although the Carousel of Progress and Epcot are what they are today, I've still been inspired to be hopeful for the future and saddened by the influx of pessimism toward it.
For that I thank you for this post, as it's encouraging to have beliefs reaffirmed by someone wiser.
People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom