A Spirited Perfect Ten

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
They are also incredibly idealistic - almost to a Ned Stark-liability-level. Young = idealism has always gone hand in hand, but with the Millennials the issue is that they do not generally understand how the real world works until it's too late and it's smacked them upside the head.

They have been coddled and coo'd their entire lives, told that they are the most important people in the Universe, everyone deserves a trophy for just trying, and that certain ideals deserve a fascist-like response if anyone dare challenge any notion or tries to show even the slightest shade of gray. They are the most black and white generation in modern history - and it's scary.
So we've trained a generation of sociopaths?

Hooray Future....

*1023*

PhotoDave219

"Marginally acceptable" pretty much describes WDW these days.

There are some fantastic cast members out there still. They're just fewer and farther between... because most of them don't subscribe to "spreadsheet culture." They're interested in actual guest service and delivering a quality experience.

And they're usually forced out for not having the numbers of being there too long.

Goofyernmost

I agree... which is why Disney should be more discerning with who they choose for their front line guest service and train them accordingly. People who are simply not interested in performing guest service at Disney's level should go find a different career.

If they want to attract quality, they're going to have to invest in it a little. Or at least invest in the training and being able to weed people out.
Sadly though, you cannot do that until you actually hire someone for the job. Until they show that they are sturdy plants and not weeds, you never know. Now if due to unions or policy they do not have a system for rewarding the plants, then they are stuck with a mix of dedicated people and driftwood. Paying driftwood (weeds) more money will not produce results. It is mostly attitude.

However, since I do not know whether or not they have such a program or the ability to have such a program in place, I do not know exactly how they can improve it. Unions are good things, but, they also are the great equalizer. They create situations where weeds must be paid the same as the plant. Good for the weed, but, it sucks big time for the plants. Overall, it sucks for both.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
I'll get into this more at the end of the month/quarter but animal kingdom truly is "the little thing park that could"... They're showing steady and solid numbers, crowd wise.

The nighttime additions can only help.

I think this is really the best park on property and maybe even in all of Orlando. I know the additions may not be earth shattering awesome but the look the feel the detail of the park makes it just an absolute incredible experience.

It is like a hidden gem of a restaurant that people slowly find out about over years that just keeps getting better and more popular.

Goofyernmost

How well would WDW work without employees?

Then they are an essential asset, and shouldn't be treated like they do nothing but cost the company money.

I really hate that corporate mindset.
I doubt that they do feel that way about everyone, but, political correctness and fear of harming an ego here and there prevent them from doing much about it. Corporations, as heartless as they may be, are fully aware that they cannot exist with out the employees, but, that doesn't mean that all employees are equal and of equal value.

PhotoDave219

Sadly though, you cannot do that until you actually hire someone for the job. Until they show that they are sturdy plants and not weeds, you never know. Now if due to unions or policy they do not have a system for rewarding the plants, then they are stuck with a mix of dedicated people and driftwood. Paying driftwood (weeds) more money will not produce results. It is mostly attitude.

However, since I do not know whether or not they have such a program or the ability to have such a program in place, I do not know exactly how they can improve it. Unions are good things, but, they also are the great equalizer. They create situations where weeds must be paid the same as the plant. Good for the weed, but, it sucks big time for the plants. Overall, it sucks for both.

Unions in Florida are useless. Unions at Disney are particularly useless because of their no strike clause in the contract.

They need to overhaul how they choose their employees and what they want to focus on, IMO.

gmajew

Premium Member
This is changing, i am currently an MBA student set to graduate very soon and ethics has become a large part of the cirriculum. I had at least 2 classes on ethics as well as plenty of other classes including it and real ethics not skirting the law, so hope fully there is hope for the next generation of execs
Has been that way for the past 20 years. They teach it but it is because collages are liberal institutions. It does not all ever make it to the real world.

Disneyhead'71

Unions in Florida are useless. Unions at Disney are particularly useless because of their no strike clause in the contract.

They need to overhaul how they choose their employees and what they want to focus on, IMO.
No strike clause, but a particularly virulent strain of employee flu could drop the place to it's knees in a heartbeat.

What if everybody got sick on say, New Years Eve?

ParentsOf4

@ParentsOf4 can you bring back your TWDC growth under Eisner vs Iger chart, It's needed again.
The percentages you referenced probably were associated with domestic Parks & Resorts revenue growth.

Looking at the company as a whole ...

Under Eisner, Disney revenue grew from $1.656B to $31.944B (1828%), a compound annual growth rate of 15.1%.

For Iger's first 9 years, Disney revenue grew from $31.944B to $48.813B (53%), a compound annual growth rate of 4.8%.

Eisner created the megacorporation we know today as Disney; Iger stabilized it.

Some call him "Iger the Acquirer". Really, he's Iger the Stabilizer. After Eisner's tumultuous last few years, Wall Street responded positively to Iger's steady stewardship.

Mike S

The percentages you referenced probably were associated with domestic Parks & Resorts revenue growth.

Under Eisner, Disney revenue grew from $1.656B to $31.944B (1828%), a compound annual growth rate of 15.1%.

For Iger's first 9 years, Disney revenue grew from $31.944B to $48.813B (53%), a compound annual growth rate of 4.8%.

Some call him "Iger the Acquirer". Really, he's Iger the Stabilizer. After Eisner's tumultuous last few years, Wall Street responded positively to Iger's steady stewardship.
And now that things have stabilized we need someone with vision again.

Disneyhead'71

The only group at Disney that would have the stones to pull that are the bus drivers. IMO.
First off, they can't fire them all. Orlando doesn't have another 66,000 competent replacements.

Second, front line cast don't have a lot to lose. $9.50/hour isn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

And it would literally "SHUT THE PLACE DOWN!"

Seriously, what TDO do if one day during Christmas week they didn't have enough employees to open any of the parks?

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
How well would WDW work without employees?

Then they are an essential asset, and shouldn't be treated like they do nothing but cost the company money.

I really hate that corporate mindset.

Good employees for sure should be treated as an asset and rewarded. The problem is really not all are good and that is a fact. It also is a fact that the current generation is a entitlement generation and they feel they should be rewarded for just doing enough. They feel the fact they show up to work should get them a raise or a bigger perk etc. the world does not work that way! But because of this entitlement attitude employers are having to change how they operate. They can no longer expect people to go above and beyond in their jobs cause most just do enough to not get fired. And want to go home and smoke their joints etc.

It is really a sad sad state of our workforce right now. And these kids are going to wonder why they are worse off then their parents. The answer is simple because your parents worked hard!!

BrerJon

But why spend your money at a place that doesn't meet your expectations? Would I like a new ride at WDW every year, Hell yes. But when the day comes where i don't enjoy myself I won't go. If the food and hotel and my time there makes me feel like i wasted my money, I won't go. That is my only question. TO each his or her own but I don't understand it.

Enjoyment of WDW isn't a binary thing where you either love it 100% without question, or dislike everything.

Most people who spent a lot of time calling the current company out on stuff do so because they got *so much* from the parks in the past that it was pretty life changing. When you enjoy something so much, a 80% reduction in quality still leaves 20% of quality and enjoyment, but just because you still enjoy that 20% doesn't mean you have to pretend the 80% drop never happened.

Maybe there's not many people who stop going completely, but I bet you anything the majority of people who complain on these forums don't go to the parks, and certainly don't stay in the Disney hotels, anywhere near as often as they used to.

You may not see any change if someone used to go two or three times a year but has now dropped that rate to one visit every two or three years, but I bet Disney does.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

From IBD

Under Eisner market cap went from 2B to 53B, Under Iger market cap went from 53B to 130B (excluding current market cap of 188B)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
First off, they can't fire them all. Orlando doesn't have another 66,000 competent replacements.

Second, front line cast don't have a lot to lose. $9.50/hour isn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Seriously, what TDO do if one day during Christmas week they didn't have enough employees to open any of the parks?

It would not be pretty

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Seriously, what would TDO do if they didn't have enough employees to open ANY of the parks for one day during Christmas week?

Worse yet...imagine 40,000 of those employees taking up space in front of the parks.... Occupy Disney World....

LOL

BTW...For people who make $9.50 an hour, they need it.... When I owned a few franchise restaurants, my employees needed their paychecks. A lot of people make their money stretch an amazingly long way.

*1023*

Disneyhead'71

Good employees for sure should be treated as an asset and rewarded. The problem is really not all are good and that is a fact. It also is a fact that the current generation is a entitlement generation and they feel they should be rewarded for just doing enough. They feel the fact they show up to work should get them a raise or a bigger perk etc. the world does not work that way! But because of this entitlement attitude employers are having to change how they operate. They can no longer expect people to go above and beyond in their jobs cause most just do enough to not get fired. And want to go home and smoke their joints etc.

It is really a sad sad state of our workforce right now. And these kids are going to wonder why they are worse off then their parents. The answer is simple because your parents worked hard!!
That's lovely.

What does that have to do with anything? Seems just more rationalization for the way Disney treats it's employees.

Sounds to me like: "Sure, if there was one such employee, he surely should be rewarded. But we all know that all of today's employees are a bunch of entitled slackers and Disney is right to treat them all like doo doo".

Edited for harshness. This is a soft as I could make it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom