A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

It's akin to me going to a Fork and Screen. When I went to see Jurrasic World on Friday, I spent, after tip, around $45, and that was just by myself. I had 3 courses (app of buffalo wings, sriracha chicken sliders entree and a brownie sundae)

Yeah, when you break it down - that's why I usually suggest "Fork and Screen" too when we go. (I just love that term - we have them, but we don't call them that LOL.)

I really wanted to see Jurassic World on Thursday night in 3D and the "Fork and Screens" weren't doing 3D for it around me. So I paid $15/ticket, $7.50 for medium popcorn, and $5.75 for a soda. With tax I spent $30 right there...never finish the popcorn (but you have to get a medium because the small you can't even fit your hand into without bathing both sides in butter), never finish the soda but again, a small is $4.75 and has about two shot glasses worth of soda in ice. (Usually I bring my own drink at least, but this was last minute and I forgot to stop and get one.)

So yeah, whenever it's feasible - $45 for a dinner/movie combo is OK with me. Food's not half bad at them, either, for pub type stuff. When they first started to open around me they were all microwave food and stuff, but they have gotten progressively better. Actually make a pretty decent burger and of course anything fried is good, LOL.

hopemax

honest opinion do they want to turn it around or dont care?

I have a feeling it's one of those situations where the people who know there's an issue, aren't high enough to do anything about it. The people high enough to do anything about it, don't know it's really an issue, because they have deferred to people below them, and have an expectation that they'd be told if something needs to be taken care of. And the people in the middle, are mostly concerned about leveraging their employment into something better, either within Disney, or beyond Disney, and/or maximizing their compensation packages. And they spend quite a bit of energy manipulating things, so the numbers come out in their favor; no room for bad news.

No one, in any job, wants to tell their boss there might be something wrong. Usually, the only one who gets hurt is you, so don't rock the boat, especially if the solution will cost a lot of money. But it leaves upper management clueless for when things fall apart. See the ACA website nonsense...low level developers would have known they wouldn't be ready, but somewhere on the chain a manager didn't want to be the one to say "we, can't do this," because mostly likely he would simply be replaced by someone who said they would get it done.

I'm not necessarily of the opinion that Iger and Co want to hurt the parks, but given the information that is passed onto them, things look good! If respected colleagues, told them they must fix the Studios and here's the reasons why, I'd like to think they'd listen. But no one wants to do that, because it exposes other people's mistakes, maybe their own. I think Iger listened and invested that the theme parks had to be brought into the 21st Century with technological infrastructure, but without understanding the operationally realities, it's landmines everywhere. Obviously, it would be better if they had more of a personal interest, because that would reveal when people are just blowing sunshine at you. The greater issue, is not having strong management who will take the reigns. Comcast's Brian Roberts, I'm assuming isn't a Parks guy, but Steve Burke is enough of one, so it works. Disney Parks doesn't have that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney "forgetting the middle class" isn't so much a Disney problem as it is an America problem. I had the same reaction as Niles--what middle class?

'Something's gotta give at some point', I think optimistically.

But I have the same issues we all have with Iger with my own leadership--it's not just a Disney problem. And you're a fool if you don't think Uni will get there just the same. I somehow doubt Disney announcing the equivalent of a Hello Kitty "interactive retail experience" would garner any praise in this community.

The biggest problem I have is that no CEO is Walt. What compromise would please me? I'm unsure. As much as I'm no Iger fan, it could be much, much worse. I know--I've seen it. Just as "one man" created it, so could it be undone. I've seen firsthand what "one man" can do. I've watched, in my own company, as "one man" cut every corner, pinched every penny, restructured beyond recognition to ensure his own paycheck while slashing every budget to the company's detriment, then peace out when the ship began to sink to preserve his own legacy. Disney is not nearly as dramatic as all that. It can and, I'm confident, will recover.

Gone wildly off on my own tangent, haven't I? I suppose my real point is that those who claim Disney is irreparably off track are being insanely dramatic.

I suspect feeling "priced out" of Disney has more to do with stagnant wages, increasing cost of life, and a decreasing middle class than it has to do with Disney's price increases.

Or alternatively TWDC could implode and the parts sold to the highest bidder if the cuts continue to damage the business - remember Disney is now pushing the 'one and done' when travel took a hit post 9/11 it was the locals and AP'ers who kept WDW afloat, TWDC no longer has that reservoir of good will in the event the travel market is disrupted.

AEfx

Nicely done. I always wanted to try the AMC fork and dine at PI but I always heard the food was horrid.

With any place like that - you just have to know what to order. If you request their fresh fish or other picky dish you are going to think it sucks. If you go into a place like that and order a burger, some fried appetizer, and/or an ice cream sundae, you'll think it's pretty decent and good enough to eat watching a movie. They know how to do that stuff. Think of it like a bar that serves food - go basic, and you'll be fine.

Mike S

Yeah, when you break it down - that's why I usually suggest "Fork and Screen" too when we go. (I just love that term - we have them, but we don't call them that LOL.)

I really wanted to see Jurassic World on Thursday night in 3D and the "Fork and Screens" weren't doing 3D for it around me. So I paid $15/ticket, $7.50 for medium popcorn, and $5.75 for a soda. With tax I spent $30 right there...never finish the popcorn (but you have to get a medium because the small you can't even fit your hand into without bathing both sides in butter), never finish the soda but again, a small is $4.75 and has about two shot glasses worth of soda in ice. (Usually I bring my own drink at least, but this was last minute and I forgot to stop and get one.)

So yeah, whenever it's feasible - $45 for a dinner/movie combo is OK with me. Food's not half bad at them, either, for pub type stuff. When they first started to open around me they were all microwave food and stuff, but they have gotten progressively better. Actually make a pretty decent burger and of course anything fried is good, LOL.
That's why I always ask for no ice in my soda. It's already cold enough without it anyway.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

The place I go to actually has really good food (akin to Sci Fi Dine In). Here's a very plate accurate (as in I've had this served and it looks pretty much exactly like this) picture of the ceviche lettuce cups.

20141218_190703.jpg

It's not the BEST food in the world, but it's akin to Applebees or TGI Fridays level (as you said, pub food).

ThemeParkJunkee

Just tossing out there, cause "dessert parties" come up...comparing Disney vs Uni...

I just booked a dessert and reserved seating experience for the Uni Cinematic Spectacular. Cost was $45 per person. That includes a meal at Lombards (appetizer and entree), a reserved section for show viewing, and a dessert buffet during viewing. That's really not a bad deal when you crunch the numbers.

What does the Wishes dessert party cost again? Or the Illuminations one? <ahem>

In October, I purchased a "Dine with Shamu" package at Sea World. It was reasonably priced and included a matted photo, free beer or wine, an exclusive experience and a dinner buffet. We did Sea World after Disney, I was majorly impressed. Since I am a "commando planner", I bought it many months in advance. Seating is based on when you buy. The earlier you book, the better your seat. Ours were excellent and cost no more than second row seating. Just have to plan a little. And, it IS really backstage.

I could never see the value in "upcharge experiences" at Disney. Why cordon off areas and only allow them to guests willing to pay a premium price? Well, especially since they were previously available to everyone. The tours? Those I understand but a better spot to watch Wishes?

Disney does seem to going after the high dollar guest, the "one and done" guest or the "I have less time than money" crowd.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Speaking of Disney setting trends, has anyone else seen the sign in Universal for the "ride reservation system?" Did Uni add a smaller scale FP+ right under our noses? o_O It's kind of hidden at the front but it is there.

I think we've talked about the Q-bot before... (Now U-Bot?)

*1023*

Todd H

Nubs70

Yeah cream will rise to the top. If someone is really is a great leader they will rise to the top in any organization. Problem is usually they are stolen and go to a smaller firm because they talent and passion is noticed sooner then at the big companies.
I come from a declining industry and have worked for several companies. A few companies had great leaders but most were led by tyrants that rose to the top through attrition. The cream analogy is the exception to the septic tank analogy.

PhotoDave219

Disney "forgetting the middle class" isn't so much a Disney problem as it is an America problem. I had the same reaction as Niles--what middle class?

'Something's gotta give at some point', I think optimistically.

But I have the same issues we all have with Iger with my own leadership--it's not just a Disney problem. And you're a fool if you don't think Uni will get there just the same. I somehow doubt Disney announcing the equivalent of a Hello Kitty "interactive retail experience" would garner any praise in this community.

The biggest problem I have is that no CEO is Walt. What compromise would please me? I'm unsure. As much as I'm no Iger fan, it could be much, much worse. I know--I've seen it. Just as "one man" created it, so could it be undone. I've seen firsthand what "one man" can do. I've watched, in my own company, as "one man" cut every corner, pinched every penny, restructured beyond recognition to ensure his own paycheck while slashing every budget to the company's detriment, then peace out when the ship began to sink to preserve his own legacy. Disney is not nearly as dramatic as all that. It can and, I'm confident, will recover.

Gone wildly off on my own tangent, haven't I? I suppose my real point is that those who claim Disney is irreparably off track are being insanely dramatic.

I suspect feeling "priced out" of Disney has more to do with stagnant wages, increasing cost of life, and a decreasing middle class than it has to do with Disney's price increases.

Disney sets the market. $48B of revenue and $7.8B of profit means they can set trends doing whatever they want.

Everyone else will follow their lead. So if they chose not to be simply a "playground for the rich" or "wall street's courtesan", the market would follow.

gmajew

The AMC food (I've been to one, though not the one at Disney, we have them here in ATL) is AWFUL!

I go to Studio Movie Grill. The food is MUCH better, and they are price comparable with AMC.
Yeah Amc is horrible for the full service experience. We have a IPIC theater food is decent not great but is worth the price for what you get. Drinks are actually pretty good. They have a solid corporate mixologist.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think the issue with AMC Fork and Screen vs Studio Movie Grill is that...in their core concept, AMC built a restaurant in a movie theater, and staffed it with movie theater managers and employees. Studio Movie Grill built a theater around a restaurant, and staffed it with restaurant managers and employees.

The vibe is completely different, and so is the experience.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Sony just announced á la carté TV packages for its PlayStation Vue service.
I was very pleased with their conference. I will not be using the service since i do not watch much TV. Its a step in the right direction for the console. Speaking of direction....

The crowd went wild for Disney Infinite 3.0 <sarcasm>

But the new Star wars Battlefront. Looks Amazing. :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom