A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is sickening and happens much more than we'd like to believe. But we no longer have a real free press. If we did, then Trump wouldn't be in the position he is in. A real press would have savaged him from the start and not let him simply lie with near impunity.

A REAL press would have savaged BOTH candidates for their manifest flaws, This is an election where we should have 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' and the country gets a mulligan on the election as NONE OF THE ABOVE winning means the candidates on the ballot would be ineligible for the mulligan round of elections.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not Spirit, but as a News Photog, I have to say I laughed my tiny little hinney off at that. Soooo, inappropriate. Someone is getting fired.

Absolutely disgusting, I paid for college among other things by being a news photographer, This simply disgusts me, my photo editor would have beaten the crap out of anyone who staged a photo like this, Stuff like this is why the media no longer commands respect as they have become propagandists.

EPCOTCenterLover

A REAL press would have savaged BOTH candidates for their manifest flaws, This is an election where we should have 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' and the country gets a mulligan on the election as NONE OF THE ABOVE winning means the candidates on the ballot would be ineligible for the mulligan round of elections.
If Clinton and Trump are the best this country can offer its citizens, we are in such sad shape.

RSoxNo1

I love Alaska, but have never cruised there. Just flown and explored. I doubt very much that I could do a cruise unless I could spend another 7-14 days doing a land portion.
Planning on Norwegian Cruise Line's 14 day Cruise Tour in 2018. The land lineup looks awesome and hits many of the highlights my wife and I did back in 2012. To/from Seward/Vancouver, time in Denali, time at a Husky facility, glacier tours and a lot more. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

SorcererMC

I can only imagine what people would say about a CEO on this board if they had made the stock price go down.

You might not have to imagine that soon - if you look at the current jittery Wall St climate this earnings season, the recent stock performance, and the problems that TWDC is facing with respect to long-term organic growth. We'll see how next week goes. While I think that any 'misses' in the next report could be easily explained and excused, it might not be what Wall St wants to hear.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can only imagine what people would say about a CEO on this board if they had made the stock price go down.

What has Iger done to improve the LONG TERM prospects of TWDC???

1 - ESPN is losing subscribers to the tune of 5% per annum and that loss is accelerating
2 - All the Disney Owned international parks are bleeding money
3 - Disney does not even have 90 days of cash on hand.

On the positive side of the ledger Iger has bought Lucasfilm and Marvel, I will not bother discussing Disney's epic failure in the interactive entertainment market...

The ONLY thing that Iger has done is pump the stock price over the last decade with levels of stock repurchases which are unprecedented for a company Disney's size and that can be wiped away in a few days trading.

Please tell me again how Disney is positioned for long term growth again???

AAPL has some challenges but with north of $330 billion in the bank well they can weather a rough patch or two, Disney not so much.

lazyboy97o

Celebration as the real EPCOT...hmmm...
Celebration, as a New Urbanist development, does share a lot in common with EPCOT. Both are heavily influenced by Ebenezer Howard's concept of the Garden City (Garden Cities of To-morrow, 1898), satellite cities with their own urban center that is then surrounded by residences, green space and some industrial zones. Howard's diagram of a Garden City could easily pass as a diagram of EPCOT and the organization of New Urbanism, while less radial, is also similar. Both EPCOT and New Urbanism reject the automobile and envision people living and working in the same community. The big difference mot people point to is that most New Urbanist developments are not transit oriented developments like EPCOT. Instead, New Urbanism more stresses pedestrian oriented development, which is itself a requirement of transit oriented development.

The whole Florida project is E.P.C.O.T. Celebration is the residential portion. "EPCOT Center" was supposed to be the "Center" of the E.P.C.O.T. and include it's main transportation hub.

EPCOT Center was never intended to be the end all, be all of what E.P.C.O.T. was supposed to be.
The idea of "All of Walt Disney World is EPCOT" was a post-Walt notion; part of the hesitancy and trepidation regarding how to handle EPCOT. Lake Buena Vista was framed as the residential component. Even then, EPCOT did not just have a residential component, it was supposed to be a live-work community. While New Urbanism claims to promote a diversity of housing types and costs, in most cases that is not the reality. The "urban" core of Celebration and other New Urbanist places are dominated by service industries like retail and dining. The result is that those who tend to work in Celebration and other developments cannot afford to actually live in the community while those who can still drive their cars elsewhere to work. Celebration further hinders the notion of live-work by having a highway physically separate Celebration Health and Celebration Place from the rest of Celebration, including its urban core.

The Empress Lilly

Celebration, as a New Urbanist development, does share a lot in common with EPCOT. Both are heavily influenced by Ebenezer Howard's concept of the Garden City (Garden Cities of To-morrow, 1898), satellite cities with their own urban center that is then surrounded by residences, green space and some industrial zones. Howard's diagram of a Garden City could easily pass as a diagram of EPCOT and the organization of New Urbanism, while less radial, is also similar. Both EPCOT and New Urbanism reject the automobile and envision people living and working in the same community. The big difference mot people point to is that most New Urbanist developments are not transit oriented developments like EPCOT. Instead, New Urbanism more stresses pedestrian oriented development, which is itself a requirement of transit oriented development.

The idea of "All of Walt Disney World is EPCOT" was a post-Walt notion; part of the hesitancy and trepidation regarding how to handle EPCOT. Lake Buena Vista was framed as the residential component. Even then, EPCOT did not just have a residential component, it was supposed to be a live-work community. While New Urbanism claims to promote a diversity of housing types and costs, in most cases that is not the reality. The "urban" core of Celebration and other New Urbanist places are dominated by service industries like retail and dining. The result is that those who tend to work in Celebration and other developments cannot afford to actually live in the community while those who can still drive their cars elsewhere to work. Celebration further hinders the notion of live-work by having a highway physically separate Celebration Health and Celebration Place from the rest of Celebration, including its urban core.
But where can my princess see Elsa?

Bairstow

What has Iger done to improve the LONG TERM prospects of TWDC???

1 - ESPN is losing subscribers to the tune of 5% per annum and that loss is accelerating
2 - All the Disney Owned international parks are bleeding money
3 - Disney does not even have 90 days of cash on hand.

On the positive side of the ledger Iger has bought Lucasfilm and Marvel, I will not bother discussing Disney's epic failure in the interactive entertainment market...

The ONLY thing that Iger has done is pump the stock price over the last decade with levels of stock repurchases which are unprecedented for a company Disney's size and that can be wiped away in a few days trading.

Please tell me again how Disney is positioned for long term growth again???

AAPL has some challenges but with north of $330 billion in the bank well they can weather a rough patch or two, Disney not so much.

What would be the point?
Whether something is going to be successful in the long term is, by definition, unknowable, and you will arbitrarily declare that every one of the company's current ventures, whether it's showing current promise or not, is doomed to failure.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What would be the point?
Whether something is going to be successful in the long term is, by definition, unknowable, and you will arbitrarily declare that every one of the company's current ventures, whether it's showing current promise or not, is doomed to failure.

You suffer a deficit of comprehension, I continue to say 'Disney Corporate' will blow up, That blowup will be triggered by the Media Networks division home of ESPN, Disney channel. which is showing no signs of adapting to a new business climate. Out of those properties ESPN and A&E are the only franchises with any inherent value the rest of the properties are merely filler. The ABC/Capital Cities mindset has been a form of corporate cancer which is killing the host.

I've also said that the remaining business units (Studios, Parks & Resorts and Consumer products( will continue under NEW ownership because they are good businesses hobbled by poor management and perpetual under investment.

By no means have I said that everything Disney does is doomed to failure, The mothership yes, the businesses not so much.

If Disney were smart it would DUMP ESPN/ABC before they take TWDC with them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You suffer a deficit of comprehension, I continue to say 'Disney Corporate' will blow up, That blowup will be triggered by the Media Networks division home of ESPN, Disney channel. which is showing no signs of adapting to a new business climate. Out of those properties ESPN and A&E are the only franchises with any inherent value the rest of the properties are merely filler. The ABC/Capital Cities mindset has been a form of corporate cancer which is killing the host.

I've also said that the remaining business units (Studios, Parks & Resorts and Consumer products( will continue under NEW ownership because they are good businesses hobbled by poor management and perpetual under investment.

By no means have I said that everything Disney does is doomed to failure, The mothership yes, the businesses not so much.

If Disney were smart it would DUMP ESPN/ABC before they take TWDC with them.
And what business experience are you using to reach this conclusion?

SorcererMC

And what business experience are you using to reach this conclusion?

He's an engineer...he knows EVERYTHING.

Here I am thinking that it's common knowledge that businesses will hire engineers over other disciplines (even business majors) because of their problem-solving and quantitative skills set.

And now I'm being a know-it-all again :rolleyes: . Sorry/ not sorry. :bookworm:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Here I am thinking that it's common knowledge that businesses will hire engineers over other disciplines (even business majors) because of their problem-solving and quantitative skills set.

And now I'm being a know-it-all again :rolleyes: . Sorry/ not sorry. :bookworm:

And yet. My question still remains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom