A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

For all the "I really miss Eisner, he should come back" talk you see on these boards, y'all keep forgetting the current state of Epcot is his fault and why Figment's the Last Jedi/Airbender/the Boy Who Lived.
I would only take 1984-94 Eisner back. But even then he did still do more in his later bad years than Iger has ever.

Talking about the parks of course.

lazyboy97o

What did they say?

Eisner has always hated EPCOT, he destroyed it.
Hate it probably a strong word, but clearly never understood it. They were trying to connect EPCOT and Celebration and to help give Celebration purpose (beyond paying taxes to Osceola County) they set up EPCOT Center as a failure, both in terms of the EPCOT concept and just as its own thing. Eisner lacked articulation on the matter, saying he did not really know what it was supposed to be and reducing its worthwhileness to IllumiNations. Rummell described Card Walker et al. as people lacking courage who co-opted the name for something unrelated. What makes it all the more baffling is the sincerity with which both, especially Eisner, spoke about Celebration, and Disney in general, being more than just vapid entertainment or land development, about the importance of meaning.

I would only take 1984-94 Eisner back. But even then he did still do more in his later bad years than Iger has ever.

Talking about the parks of course.
Many of the toxic seeds that blossomed post-Wells were planted during that first decade.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Alaska cruise in september also has nice discounts. Not paying those 6,000+ for a single outside cabin for 7 nights.

Also those prices.. do Disney gives you heavy discount or whats?
never seen a price that low myself.

That price was a FL resident rate. The CM rate was $499 a person. ... I have attempted to get CM friends to go with me, but some are afraid of the ocean and others can't jump and take a vacation on a few weeks or even a month's notice.

That also was 2010. Discounts now are not nearly as good.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What are some cruise lines and destinations you would recommend for this? I'm thinking about doing a trip out of the USA as a gift to myself when I finish my MA next December and transatlantic cruise is something I have wanted to do.

Any cruise line except Celebrity. Possibly Carnival as well as they take a beating by elites that call them cruises of drunk white trash (how this is different than WDW, I'm not sure). As to destinations, I have never taken a cruise anywhere that I wouldn't recommend. The question is where do you want to go? And how much do you want to spend? I love TAs. They are the absolute most relaxing voyages because you are truly cut off for almost a week of travel. I have done four of them, one on DCL.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Via Napoli is run by the Patina Restaurant Group. They own many other restaurants around the country. They own Naples Ristorante E Pizzeria in Downtown Disney at Disneyland, and they also have a Naples location in NYC, all of which I have dined at. As for the pizza, personally, I enjoy it, but it really comes down to personal preference on how you like your pizza. The service at all locations has been good. Not bad, but not over the top amazing. I would definitely recommend trying it if you get the opportunity.

Yup. Know that. And I have had good, but not spectacular, experiences at their Anaheim and NYC locations. ... I do recall the Lifestylers all making a big deal (because that is what was expected) when Via Napoli opened (what now? 4-5 years ago?) Almost went once or twice, but decided against. But think I may try it soon.

WDW1974

Original Poster

WDW1974

Original Poster
For all the "I really miss Eisner, he should come back" talk you see on these boards, y'all keep forgetting the current state of Epcot is his fault and why Figment's the Last Jedi/Airbender/the Boy Who Lived.

No, it isn't. He may have started the destruction, but Iger is going on 11 years as the head of the company. What has he done for the park?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hate it probably a strong word, but clearly never understood it. They were trying to connect EPCOT and Celebration and to help give Celebration purpose (beyond paying taxes to Osceola County) they set up EPCOT Center as a failure, both in terms of the EPCOT concept and just as its own thing. Eisner lacked articulation on the matter, saying he did not really know what it was supposed to be and reducing its worthwhileness to IllumiNations. Rummell described Card Walker et al. as people lacking courage who co-opted the name for something unrelated. What makes it all the more baffling is the sincerity with which both, especially Eisner, spoke about Celebration, and Disney in general, being more than just vapid entertainment or land development, about the importance of meaning.

I wasn't at the event, but I would say hate is a very strong word. I don't think MDE ever truly 'got' EPCOT, although I have watched him enjoy the park in person, more than I can say for the guy who replaced him. He also invested in the park for almost his entire tenure. You can disagree with what that money went toward from the late 90s on and I certainly do!

Many of the toxic seeds that blossomed post-Wells were planted during that first decade.

A very important point that gets lost in the Frank Wells kept Michael Eisner in check line. Everything from Strat Planning to overdeveloping WDW without master plans started long before Frank died in that copter crash. ... More important, to me, is that nothing really changed when Iger took over. His biggest achievements to fans seem to be 1.) he buys stuff; 2.) he isn't Eisner.

The Empress Lilly

That's what you get when your policy is to make as mch money out of selling alcohol to your guests as possible.

Such a classy resort:

Virginia Vivier, 36, was screaming profanities and swinging at a Disney security officer outside her hotel room Tuesday when Orange Countydeputy sheriffs got there about 11 p.m., an arrest report states.

Security called the Sheriff's Office for help after several guests complained about hearing a woman screaming.

Vivier's husband told deputies she had been drinking all day and became violent, shouting and throwing things at him, the report states. He unsuccessfully tried to stop her before a security officer arrived, and he ended up with scratches and bruises, deputies said.​

The Empress Lilly

Celebration as the real EPCOT...hmmm...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom