A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

FigmentJedi

And I was hoping he would reprise his role of Scrooge for the Ducktales reboot.
The DuckTales reboot was recasting most of the characters anyways. Launchpad's VA said he wasn't coming back for the reboot sometime last year. The HD remake of the video game was meant to be the surviving cast's last big hurrah.

PhotoDave219

That's on the list margarita's are my all time favorite drink. I hope they can make a real drink, not like Disney's kiddie ones!

Well at the risk of offending the tee-totaling critics that put forth the "drunkytown" ad nauseum.....

Take an average shaker. Make sure you use pouters. Pour a Six count of tequila. Add a four count of cuatro. Fill the rest of the shaker (or however much you want) with lime juice (preferred) or mix (ugh). Shake well. Garnish rim of glass with salt. Pour over ice. Add a splash of grand mariner on top. Enjoy.

Disneyhead'71

So maybe you missed my point that maybe the rest of TWDC was in much worse shape financially than the P&R division, and needed the capital expenditures to fix their issues first.

The "quagmire" of MM+ as you put it, was mostly spent on back-end improvements to systems and networks. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to set up a wireless network in a place such as a theme park that gets 40,000 visitors on average, and make it all work? I do, and it's in the 9 figure range. Do you know how much it costs to replace 30,000 Mickey head shaped RFID door openers? What about the servers and bandwidth needed to ensure that when a customer scans their MB, it can check and authenticate in less than 1/2 second to open that door. Do you have any idea how much that sort of thing costs? I do, and it ain't cheap.

Avatar started construction in January 2014, so only a bit over 3 years. Estimates on SWL for DL is less than 3 years from start to finish, and there is only speculation as to when the DHS version will be done. In case you didn't know, but the last what you call E-Ticket, Expedition Everest - took 6 years for planning and construction, so long timelines are nothing new. NO ONE knows for sure exactly how long the current projects are going to take to complete.

I am not defending everything that TWDC does now or has done, but it seems that you and others try to bash every single thing they do, regardless of how good or bad. I just try to interject reality into y'alls rants.
The last E Ticket added to the MK opened 4 years before my oldest princess was born. On Tues., she finished her sophomore year in college. DHS is a 26 year old amusement park that only has 5 rides. DAK is 18 years old and has 6 rides. And Then there is Epcot.

Donaldfan1934

Mismanaged how? There have been tons of refurbs over the last 5 years, and now major additions to at least 2 parks, and who knows what more will be coming soon. Did he pump money into it during his first few years as CEO? Nope, because some have speculated that other parts of TWDC needed a lot of money to fix their divisions first. Now that it is on a better footing, tons of money is flowing into WDW.

And please don't forget that literally billions of dollars has gone into road improvements, IT improvements, new hotels, etc.
So clearly you've missed that the last E-ticket added in WDW was 10 years ago, the declining by degrees/death by a thousand cuts all to make margins look better, oh, and since you brought up IT investment-the total quagmire that is MyMagic+. Road improvement falls into Reedy Creek - not parks and resorts budget, by and large, so scratch that one off your list. And you weaken your point by adding "who knows what else to come." What we know is it now takes them 5+ years to add a new land (Avatar, Star Wars best projections) when the original EPCOT center was built in less than 3 years? Look, you have your opinion, and that's just fine, so keep defending the indefensible, and let's just see who's right. For a preview, check out the drop in attendance and boost in discount offers in WDW. They speak volumes.
You both have good points. I'd say WDW has been a bit mixed managed throughout this decade so far. Was MyMagic+ a ridiculous investment for the what it was? Absolutely! Are major improvements coming to the parks, particularly DHS? Yes and that's something that should be appreciated despite it's inexcusably slow pace. I also agree with @LuvtheGoof on how poor investment was in Iger's early years. To me, that was the real dark age of productivity (or lack thereof) in P&R. Now that Iger is investing, however, his carelessness towards all else other than making the quickest buck has been leading to number terrible decisions. Just look at SWL's disastrous placement in DL for example.

Last edited:

Phil12

For us, character meals are part of our touring strategy. Our kids are getting older, but when they were younger, we never had to wait in line for a character because it was easy to say, "oh, we don't need to wait in line, we are having dinner with him later." We had to eat anyway, and it was worth the "premium" price of dining to save the time in the parks.
My children never wanted to get anywhere near any of the characters. After all, they knew that the characters were posers and why waste valuable time meeting a minimum wage imposter?

Clamman73

Well at the risk of offending the tee-totaling critics that put forth the "drunkytown" ad nauseum.....

Take an average shaker. Make sure you use pouters. Pour a Six count of tequila. Add a four count of cuatro. Fill the rest of the shaker (or however much you want) with lime juice (preferred) or mix (ugh). Shake well. Garnish rim of glass with salt. Pour over ice. Add a splash of grand mariner on top. Enjoy.
I gave the Margarita Domiana at the Tequilla Sunrise bar in Todos Santos, Mexico a try a few weeks ago....not sure what happened afterwards.

the.dreamfinder

Would anyone like a cross-BRAND induced anuerysm?
image.jpeg

Nj4mwc

I think i recall posts stating you are from the DC area and i am relatively new to dc, so where does one find the best margarita in DC since i am a terrible drink mixer. Sorry if off topic

yaksplat

I go with a frozen lime-aid concentrate can, one can of tequila, half can of triple sec, and then enough ice in blender to get the right consistency. Turns out perfect every time.

theRIOT

When I was a kid back in the 70's and went to MK the surprise unplanned interaction with a character was awesome. I once had Pinocchio sneak up and stand behind me mimicking my pose while everyone was laughing, it was a great experience. But standing in line in a plain room watching characters make the same picture over and over with other kids is awful and stale, I agree don't understand why it is popular, even my kids stopped wanting to do it when they were 5 (took to much time out of riding rides).

I completely agree. I would never stand in a line for an autograph and luckily my child doesn't want to, either.

I remember my first trip to Disneyland with my wife. Out of nowhere comes Eeyore (with no greeter in site), with drum sticks and he walks up to trash can and just starts banging out a rhythm. You will never see that at WDW, at least I never have.
It was pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom